2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was referring to West Lafayette, which is who the previous poster said they contacted.
I received the email on Jan. 19 and the interview is Feb 9-10th.

I just called and spoke to the administrative assistant/graduate coordinator at Purdue (West Lafayette) and she said they don't do in person interviews. So I have no idea what is going on... we will just have to wait and see I guess. Has anyone else out there been invited for an interview at Purdue (West Lafayette) for clinical psychology?

Members don't see this ad.

OMG congrats! I just heard from Fordham and interview is 3/8!!
I am waiting for:

University at Buffalo
University of Massachussets Amherst
Pace University
St. John's
CUNY graduate Center
I called Pace's admissions department yesterday. I was told that interview invitations for the combined school/clinical child psychology psyd program would be going out in late february/early march and that final decisions won't be made until late march/early april. Hope that helps!

Also, so everyone knows I think a lot of the schools are sending out interview invites at different times ( not all, but some). The clinical psy d program at GW definitely sent all invites out ( I called the admissions department) but programs like UDenver clinical psy d that have already sent some invites out are still reviewing applications. So don't be too nervous if you haven't heard from schools yet and you can always call and ask if all interview invites have been sent out. Hope this helps!

Yes! Congrats to you!

I was going crazy too! Fordham sent me an e-mail back in January that they were going to e-mail feb 7 those people who qualified for an interview. I was waiting all day! And the email came at 9pm. I was sitting at the edge of my chair. But we got it at least lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called and spoke to the administrative assistant/graduate coordinator at Purdue (West Lafayette) and she said they don't do in person interviews. So I have no idea what is going on... we will just have to wait and see I guess. Has anyone else out there been invited for an interview at Purdue (West Lafayette) for clinical psychology?

I know 2 other people that have received interviews at Purdue in West Lafayette as well. 1 from my own university and 1 I heard about at another interview. They may be doing phone interviews as well later. Im really surprised that they would say they arent doing interviews though, doesnt make sense.

School name: Nova Southeastern University
Program type/track: Clinical PsyD
Date received: 2-8-12
How were you notified: mass email
Interview dates offered: 3-15-12

Looks like there must be multiple rounds for different interview days. :D

For those of you also waiting on the University of Alabama at Birmingham, i received this email today from the Doctoral Program Manager:

This email is to update you on the status of your application with the UAB Medical Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program. We have not yet sent out any invitations. Our January 28th deadline for issuing interview invitations has been extended. Please note that the committee will be meeting next week to finalize this process, and you will immediately hear from us via email.

PLEASE REMEMBER! You are not required, by any school, to sign a letter of commitment until the April 15th Match Day, unless you choose to do so. Also, schools are not allowed to withdraw an offer before April 15th, if you are interviewing at other schools. This agreement has been signed by all major institutions in the United States. This enables you to choose which school is best for you without being pressured by any particular institution.

PLEASE REMEMBER! You are not required, by any school, to sign a letter of commitment until the April 15th Match Day, unless you choose to do so. Also, schools are not allowed to withdraw an offer before April 15th, if you are interviewing at other schools. This agreement has been signed by all major institutions in the United States. This enables you to choose which school is best for you without being pressured by any particular institution.
tl;dr: Please don't discount us just because we're being slow!

Has anyone received some kind of a schedule/indication of what kind of interview the Fairleigh Dickinson one will be? They really don't seem like they have it together...I know where I am supposed to show up on Friday, but that is about it. No response to my question about who I will be interviewing with, etc. They're my only school that hasn't provided some kind of interview schedule. Any insight would be appreciated and allow me to prepare myself a little better. Thanks!

School name: Antioch New England (New Hampshire)
Program type/track: Clinical PsyD
Date received: 2/8/12
How were you notified: Mass Email
Interview dates offered: 3/2, 3/3 or 3/4

Has anyone received some kind of a schedule/indication of what kind of interview the Fairleigh Dickinson one will be? They really don't seem like they have it together...I know where I am supposed to show up on Friday, but that is about it. No response to my question about who I will be interviewing with, etc. They're my only school that hasn't provided some kind of interview schedule. Any insight would be appreciated and allow me to prepare myself a little better. Thanks!
Some places just don't send out schedules beforehand. Sometimes it's because they don't have them, and sometimes it's intentional. I know one place I interviewed wanted to give out the schedules at the event they had the day before interviews. I can't decide if it's an intentional "we don't want you too prepared" or if they just don't think we need to know. But don't stress about it. Know your POI's lab, have questions to ask, and you'll get your schedule when you get it.

Nova Southeastern University Clinical Psych PsyD
Received via email 2/8
Interview scheduled for 3/16

:)

I haven't heard a peep from 7 of my 10 schools, but per this forum and TGC, all invites for all of them have been sent out as well as some rejections.

Are they allowed to NOT notify you once you've been rejected?

Ah.
Looking at this may just make a person more anxious... but:
Heard from Ferkauf (Phd Health Emphasis) 2/3 mass email
University at Albany from POI 2/6

It would be nice in some ways to get rejected from the other places right off the bat. Don't like waiting games.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point I am just curious, was anybody invited for the Child Clinical track/emphasis at Boston University?

Some places just don't send out schedules beforehand. Sometimes it's because they don't have them, and sometimes it's intentional. I know one place I interviewed wanted to give out the schedules at the event they had the day before interviews. I can't decide if it's an intentional "we don't want you too prepared" or if they just don't think we need to know. But don't stress about it. Know your POI's lab, have questions to ask, and you'll get your schedule when you get it.

I think since FDU has no specific mentorship model, they don't tell you who you will interviewing with because it could be anyone -- since its a few hours, I'd guess multiple people. Good luck!

I called Pace's admissions department yesterday. I was told that interview invitations for the combined school/clinical child psychology psyd program would be going out in late february/early march and that final decisions won't be made until late march/early april. Hope that helps!

Also, so everyone knows I think a lot of the schools are sending out interview invites at different times ( not all, but some). The clinical psy d program at GW definitely sent all invites out ( I called the admissions department) but programs like UDenver clinical psy d that have already sent some invites out are still reviewing applications. So don't be too nervous if you haven't heard from schools yet and you can always call and ask if all interview invites have been sent out. Hope this helps!

Re: Pace, that is so late! For a lot of places, beginning of April is their deadline for accpeptance! Interesting......since last year invitations went out around now. Thanks for sharing - I won't hold my breath.

can one of you experienced vets please provide me with sanity:

I have 3 schools I am in limbo with. All 3 schools have posted results on this site.

- One of the schools stated that they will be sending out emails letting me know the result of my application. The secretary stated that all invites have been sent, but REJECTIONS have been sent as well. I haven't been contacted with either via email. Like at all. What does this meannnnnnn?

-One of the schools stated that I would receive an email shortly, however invites have been sent already, with no sign of rejected peeps, so...I'm going to assume I have been rejected from this program.

-One of the schools stated that they have sent invites to the candidates they feel most strongly for, however they are still "reviewing applications"? BUT all rejection letters have been sent. Havent received a thing.

This is so frustrating--especially the first and last school mentioned, because both rejections and invites have been sent. The interviews are next week. I am so tired of this process! :eek:

Any insight or thoughts would be amazing.

Thanks peeps.

I haven't heard a peep from 7 of my 10 schools, but per this forum and TGC, all invites for all of them have been sent out as well as some rejections.

Most wait until April 1 or 15 to officially reject in case something doesn't pan out with all their original interviewees (it's happened, although it's very rare).

Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
Interview invite received on: Feb 8th
Interview Date: March 9th
Contacted via: Mass e-mail from DCT

I dont think they wont ever tell you, they just havent yet.

ETA like past poster said, they might be waiting (as in an unofficial waiting list or something) until later just in case they dont want to reject you outright, but still consider you after interviews or something... idk the whole process is whacky

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything from University of Missouri-Kansas city Counseling Ph.d program?

Hey, anyone hear anything from Colorado State's Counseling PhD Program? Deadline was Dec 1st, so I feel like I should've heard someeething.

Adelphi Clinical PhD Program
Mass email to 25 students with last names A-K
Received 2/8/12 at 8:57 p.m.
email from Chair of Admissions to the PhD program
Interview Wed Feb 22nd

I had an interview scheduled (my first one in 2 years) for this Saturday.

I got the personalized e-mail from Sarah at LIU on 1/30.

This evening I got a phone call from Krista who told me that there was a mix up with the lists and I was mistakenly sent that invitation. I am not invited for the interview in three days.

I bought a suit this weekend and just got it tailored. I feel SO stupid. Has this happened to anyone else?

This evening I got a phone call from Krista who told me that there was a mix up with the lists and I was mistakenly sent that invitation. I am not invited for the interview in three days.

I bought a suit this weekend and just got it tailored. I feel SO stupid. Has this happened to anyone else?

Wow. Just wow. You are so not the one who should feel stupid. If I were you, I'd write a strongly worded letter to that department describing what the consequences of their mistake were (i.e., financial hardship of preparing for the interview). But then, you're not me. I really hope they are stumbling all over themselves with an apology!

Ohmygosh, I cannot believe that happened. I am so sorry AP88. :( That is horrific. You are definitely not the one who should feel stupid, I cannot believe they had the nerve to do that.

Has anyone who interviewed at Penn State last weekend received an offer yet?

AP88, I'm sorry to hear about this! I would feel upset by the situation, as well. :(

As much as it helps to voice your concerns with other people, I would be somewhat careful with sharing information like this online because you can easily by identified. I think it might be a good idea to edit your post...

As much as it helps to voice your concerns with other people, I would be somewhat careful with sharing information like this online because you can easily by identified. I think it might be a good idea to edit your post...

Tough call, because I think the school deserves to be called out on such a horrendous blip. Gotta wonder if it really matters if only the school can identify you??

Marshall University :idea: PsyD
Interviews are on Wednesdays, Late Feb and Early March
It was a phone call, but I didn't get the guys name- he left a message....

I'm not sure I will be going but I thought I'd put it up here so that people know whats up!

Just got a interview invite mass email from Adelphi's (Derner Institute) admissions chair.
Clinical Psych (PhD)
Interview date - 2/22

I just noticed that someone posted on the TGC re: a UT Austin rejection via the website. Has anyone else discovered any updates on the website? I'm imagining the TGC poster was referring to the status check page, but mine hasn't changed...

Anyone know if Colorado State Counseling Psych will be doing in-person interviews this year?

I just noticed that someone posted on the TGC re: a UT Austin rejection via the website. Has anyone else discovered any updates on the website? I'm imagining the TGC poster was referring to the status check page, but mine hasn't changed...

Mine has not changed either. Maybe the person that posted on TGC applied to someone who either ended up not taking students, or the person they applied to work with was really on top of applications.
From what I hear professors at UT work very independently during this process, and are in no rush. I know they didn't even meet to discuss who was going to be taking students and funding, etc. until late November which I believe is relatively late.

I am so sorry this happened to you! I had something similar happen my first time applying. I got my first invite to interview at one of my top choice schools and was absolutely thrilled. Shopping spree to get a new suit and shoes ensued. A few days later (after I had booked my flight) I had a missed call on my cell. It was a message from my POI; she was calling to say that due to personal reasons, she would be going on sabbatical the next year, and, essentially, there was no reason for me to interview after all since she was no longer in a position to take a student. I was stunned and absolutely heartbroken. I'm so sorry that you have to be going through this.

I hope you get good news from somewhere else soon, and that this time, it's the real deal! Hang in there!

Adelphi Clinical PhD Program
Mass email to 25 students with last names A-K
Received 2/8/12 at 8:57 p.m.
email from Chair of Admissions to the PhD program
Interview Wed Feb 22nd

Are you sure that only the A-Ks were sent out? I've never been more bitter about my L last name, haha.

Are you sure that only the A-Ks were sent out? I've never been more bitter about my L last name, haha.

I can confirm that there was a second email for the rest of the alphabet... my apologies :(

Would the posters from TGC who received invites from University of New Mexico clinical please PM me their POI? Wondering if I should cross them off my list.......thank you!

Hey guys, has anyone heard a peep from Kansas Child Clinical? It's a separate program from adult clinical so I think they do things on their own timeline. The website says they'll be notifying people of interviews "soon," but I have no clue if that's current or not. Thanks!

Hey guys, has anyone heard a peep from Kansas Child Clinical? It's a separate program from adult clinical so I think they do things on their own timeline. The website says they'll be notifying people of interviews "soon," but I have no clue if that's current or not. Thanks!

I haven't heard anything!

Has anyone heard from Marywood University PsyD yet? Website says late Feb. but nerves are getting to me!

Anyone know if Colorado State Counseling Psych will be doing in-person interviews this year?

I'm an undergrad here and a professor last week said that they haven't even started looking at them yet, so don't worry too much

Interview at University of North Dakota.
Clinical Psych PhD
Personalized email from POI.
Interview Dates: 2/24-2/25

Last edited:
Quick question for you all: I have an interview coming up for a PsyD program, but unsure how I got the interview when the mentors I put down in my personal statement happen to not take any students this year. Do any of you have any ideas what to say if they ask who I would like to work under?

Quick question for you all: I have an interview coming up for a PsyD program, but unsure how I got the interview when the mentors I put down in my personal statement happen to not take any students this year. Do any of you have any ideas what to say if they ask who I would like to work under?
Actually, i have a very similar issue-----anyone have any ideas what to say? Also, for a PhD, how would you prepare not really knowing who wants you for their research team?

Has anyone else gotten emails from "faculty members who is/are interested in potentially working with you" like the interview invitation mentioned? just wondering!

Many thanks to whoever posted the information about SLU's clinical PhD invitations on TGC.

Has anyone heard anything for MSPP's General Consideration Clinical PsyD Interviews yet?

Last edited: