2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

Started by syzergy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To any school psych applicants, has anyone heard from the School Psychology PhD programs at Columbia's Teachers College or Lehigh?
 
Just wondering if the others out there on TGC that recieved invites from the University of New Mexico would PM there POI's please? I was really hoping for an invite and if its not coming I want the torture to end haha
 
Hey! I see that invites have gone out to UT-Southwestern (Dallas) already via mass email. I'm sry to ask but has anyone received a rejection email from them? It appears as though over the last few years that a mass rejection email has been sent out the same day as mass invitations. Any ideas? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got an interview invite via email from Fairleigh Dickinson - same dates as everyone else: this Friday or Sunday... I guess they just sent out 2 waves of emails? Wow... I have 4 days to arrange travel!
 
Is it too late to still hold out hope for an interview at NYU's counseling program? I tried calling them this morning to ask if all invites have been sent already and they said that that's up to the individual department, but when I was transferred to the department, no one answered the phone.
 
I just got an interview invite via email from Fairleigh Dickinson - same dates as everyone else: this Friday or Sunday... I guess they just sent out 2 waves of emails? Wow... I have 4 days to arrange travel!

Same here. I am really curious-- why in the world did they send out half of the invites on Friday and half on Monday? I wonder if it was alphabetical? My name is in the later half of the alphabet. So strange.
 
Is it too late to still hold out hope for an interview at NYU's counseling program? I tried calling them this morning to ask if all invites have been sent already and they said that that's up to the individual department, but when I was transferred to the department, no one answered the phone.

PsychGirl,

NYU counseling sent out invites a week or so ago for a February 17 interview date. They do group interviews and all on the same day, so I'd say it's unlikely there is another interview day. That said, however, because they are pretty inflexible about interview day (I've heard almost no one gets accepted w a phone interview), they may have a wait list that they go to if someone can't make the actual day. Everyone had to let them know by February 10 if they're going or not. Hope you hear soon!
 
Fairleigh Dickinson --- Same here. I am really curious-- why in the world did they send out half of the invites on Friday and half on Monday? I wonder if it was alphabetical? My name is in the later half of the alphabet. So strange.

Mine is as well. I would hate to think that MAYBE, they sent out a wave on Friday, waited for people to say they couldn't attend, and then send out more invites. Looks like I'll have to fly from one interview to the next without going home first lol!
 
I haven't heard anything from VCU counseling. I tried contacting the program admin on Friday last week. No word back yet.
 
A person on TGC indicated that they had received an email last week regarding application decisions and, subsequently, a rejection via website today. I did not receive the email, nor is my status updated.

Is there hope?
 
Purdue has given out invites? How do you know this? I called Purdue and they said that they didn't do in-person invites, only phone interviews.

I just called the graduate coordinator and you are right, they do phone interviews and not in-person interviews and she said that they are still in the process of selecting candidates and we should hear back from them within the next month or so. This is for the clinical PhD program at Purdue in West Lafayette, IN. - not really sure where the other person received their info.
 
School name: University of Illinois Chicago
Program type/track: Clinical PhD
Date received: 2/6/12
How were you notified: phone call from POI
Interview dates offered: Friday February 24th
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
School name: University of Illinois Chicago
Program type/track: Clinical PhD
Date received: 2/6/12
How were you notified: phone call from POI
Interview dates offered: Friday February 24th

Congratulations! Could you pm me your POI by chance?

Thanks!
 
For those interested in Boston University and/ or University of Virginia (Charlottesville)

BU has extended all invites

UVA has extended most invites, interview is this Friday, however they are not finished and are considering a second interview date
 
One of the clinical psy.d. programs that I applied to sent an email out last week that they are still reviewing applications and that they will be notifying people within the next 2 weeks regarding interview invites. The email included the dates of the interviews - 3 of the dates are this weekend and 1 is the following weekend. The issue is that I will be in town for a different interview this weekend so it would be extremely convenient and economically efficient to have an interview date while I am in town if I am getting an interview. Otherwise I will need to pay for another flight and miss more school.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to go about communicating this to the school? Do you think it would be bad to do so?
 
One of the clinical psy.d. programs that I applied to sent an email out last week that they are still reviewing applications and that they will be notifying people within the next 2 weeks regarding interview invites. The email included the dates of the interviews - 3 of the dates are this weekend and 1 is the following weekend. The issue is that I will be in town for a different interview this weekend so it would be extremely convenient and economically efficient to have an interview date while I am in town if I am getting an interview. Otherwise I will need to pay for another flight and miss more school.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to go about communicating this to the school? Do you think it would be bad to do so?
In your shoes, I would contact the program and let them know. That said, some people might consider it overbearing? I just think it would be worth it. To be fair, the one time I tried something along these lines, I was informed the equivalent of "Sorry, we're not going to interview you." But that would be useful to know already, too. I don't really see why the program would hold this against you if they liked you.
 
One of the clinical psy.d. programs that I applied to sent an email out last week that they are still reviewing applications and that they will be notifying people within the next 2 weeks regarding interview invites. The email included the dates of the interviews - 3 of the dates are this weekend and 1 is the following weekend. The issue is that I will be in town for a different interview this weekend so it would be extremely convenient and economically efficient to have an interview date while I am in town if I am getting an interview. Otherwise I will need to pay for another flight and miss more school.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to go about communicating this to the school? Do you think it would be bad to do so?

what psyd program is it if you don't mind me asking
 
One of the clinical psy.d. programs that I applied to sent an email out last week that they are still reviewing applications and that they will be notifying people within the next 2 weeks regarding interview invites. The email included the dates of the interviews - 3 of the dates are this weekend and 1 is the following weekend. The issue is that I will be in town for a different interview this weekend so it would be extremely convenient and economically efficient to have an interview date while I am in town if I am getting an interview. Otherwise I will need to pay for another flight and miss more school.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to go about communicating this to the school? Do you think it would be bad to do so?

I've had a similar situation where I've had to call a school and inquire about whether I would be invited or not ahead of when decisions were going to go out (the situation is complicated so I won't go into it). They were surprisingly great about it and got back to me the same day with the information that I would be receiving an invitation. I would say just call the school and see if they can work with you/give you some advanced notice of if you will be invited to interview. Just make sure to explain your situation clearly- this is the most important part. They know how stressful and expensive this process can be!
 
Just got an email from Rosalind Franklin for the Clinical Psych PhD program (seems to be a mass email, but personalized with my name at the top). The interview day is March 9th.
 
School name: Nova Southeastern University
Program type/track: Clinical PsyD
Date received: 2-6-12
How were you notified: mass email
Interview dates offered: 3-12-12
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
University of Memphis Counseling Program via snail mail (dated 1/31).

Interviews are Feb 25 & March 1
 
Has anyone heard from St. John's, George Washington, or St. Louis for clinical psych Ph.D.? I'm getting anxious over here!:xf:
 
Hi all,

Has anyone heard from the Clinical Psych PhD programs at these three?

Harvard

University of Hawaii at Manoa (I guess technically you apply to the masters program first, if you're applying with a bachelor's...)

University of Nevada at Reno

Radio silence over here.

Thanks!
 
School name: Nova Southeastern University
Program type/track: Clinical PsyD
Date received: 2-6-12
How were you notified: mass email
Interview dates offered: 3-12-12


Did you receive this mass email through your own email that you provided for them or was it through NSU's email?
 
School name: Nova Southeastern University
Program type/track: Clinical PsyD
Date received: 2-6-12
How were you notified: mass email
Interview dates offered: 3-12-12

Me too! Congrats! I'm quite excited. 🙂

Anyone know if Ferkauf @ Yeshiva University is finished sending invites?
 
George Washington PhD Clinical - Finally!

Received invite from DCT, it seemed like a mass e-mail but was addressed to me specifically. Interview dates are either March 2nd or March 5th.
 
I was hoping that someone could tell me if all invites for the UDenver Clinical PsyD program had been sent out? Please don't tell me all invites were closed out unless you know for sure ( spoke to admissions person etc.) Thanks!

Also, has anyone heard anything about the Chicago School of Professional Psychology? I had a pretty great experience at the interview and am very interested in the school, but read some really sketchy reviews online ( students saying not to got there and that it was a waste of a degree)! Does anyone know anything more about the program? Thanks!
 
School: Pacific University Psyd
received an e-mail today inviting me to interview on March 2nd. No other interview days and will not do phone interviews. It was a personalized e-mail addressed to me, but seemed like a form letter. I'm so excited 😀
 
I just called the graduate coordinator and you are right, they do phone interviews and not in-person interviews and she said that they are still in the process of selecting candidates and we should hear back from them within the next month or so. This is for the clinical PhD program at Purdue in West Lafayette, IN. - not really sure where the other person received their info.

I don't know why they told you this but they are doing interviews. I received my invite a few weeks ago. The interview is on Feb.10th for Clinical PhD. 😕
 
Per grad cafe and the first page of this forum, it looks like all vtech invites have gone out and that their interview weekend is this week.

Interesting. I haven't heard a thing from them at all. Oh well. 🙄Thanks for the info!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,


University of Hawaii at Manoa (I guess technically you apply to the masters program first, if you're applying with a bachelor's...)

Unless I was completely inept when applying to schools, I don't believe you need to have a Master's to apply or that Hawaii even has a Master's in Clinical
 
Hey guys. I was wondering what can a person do with an MA in clinical psychology. I heard that it is a stepping stone for PhD programs but I am just wondering now what can you do job wise with it? I ask in this thread because initially I applied to the PhD program but it doesn't look so promising now...
 
Has anyone heard from Temple's School Psychology program? I submitted my application in December and I'm going crazy over here!
 
Hey guys. I was wondering what can a person do with an MA in clinical psychology. I heard that it is a stepping stone for PhD programs but I am just wondering now what can you do job wise with it? I ask in this thread because initially I applied to the PhD program but it doesn't look so promising now...

If you are ultimately committed to the PhD, use it as a stepping stone. But if you would be happy practicing at the masters level, I would say Clinical Social Work. I have a friend who has an MA in Clinical Psychology and says that it is practically useless as a degree.

You could also do this, get into a good MA program in general psych and do a year - get some classes and some good research experience under your belt, and reapply to doctoral programs at the end of one year. Many people do this. You could also consider PsyD programs. Many are VERY good and they are slightly less competitive.

Don't give up. Trust me, many of us have been in your shoes. If you really want the Phd, you can do it! I always think about moving a mountian, one rock at a time.