2011-2012 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
top?

Members don't see this ad.

I decided not to finish applying to KU. I love KC (lived there for 7 years), but I no longer have residency and KU informed me that I would not be allowed to re-establish residency after the first year. This leaves KU as my most expensive option... = eliminated.

GOOD LUCK to everyone applying! KC is a ton of fun! :luck::luck:

That sucks!

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you doing in Africa kansaskid? I've done some work in East Africa and really wanting to go back...

Peace Corps! I'm one year in with one to go and I'm loving it! Just to clarify, I don't actually save African babies...well, not directly. I probably prevent more from being born more than anything else...oh condom demonstrations in French...sigh.

I've been trying for the last four hours to get the application to load everything and let me submit. AND I pre-wrote all of the questions! So frustrated! I haven't had official success yet...but I'll let you know. I wanna go to KU!

On another note: I've heard recently that the Wichita campus is better than the KC one. I don't have much more info than that, but has anyone heard anything like this and why? Just curious...

Officially submitted!

And I just got an email saying my committee letter has been uploaded!

And the waiting begins...

:luck::luck:
G'luck everyone
:)

Officially submitted!

G'luck everyone

I never got that email. but my status on the site says they got it, so go figure

good luck.

Just logged on to my secondary application, it says file complete at the bottom of the first page.

They've only have me listed for my fee, secondary , and 4 letters. Did they have something for you for your MCAT and primary?

They've only have me listed for my fee, secondary , and 4 letters. Did they have something for you for your MCAT and primary?

Nope. Just lists my letters, secondary, and then file complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially submitted!

G'luck everyone

Yay! congrats!

I was finally verified today!

Aight boys and girls, I finally got my last rec in after 2 months of a non response from the professor...

Time to do work on this edp process. Good luck to everyone!

That A, B, C thing sort of bugs me. I have a 29 (B) so does that mean my MCAT is looked upon the same as someone with a 24-28? That doesn't seem fair :(
But I'm a whiner so whatever haha.

This irks me. I also have a 29. I hate to be lumped in with those that got a 24....

I don't think KU really considers the MCAT as much as other schools though... at least this is the feeling I get and it could be wrong.

I don't think KU really considers the MCAT as much as other schools though... at least this is the feeling I get and it could be wrong.

Not quite sure how accurate that is, they do set a hard cutoff for EDP so it must mean something.

They eliminated that this year.

Really? Where did you hear/see this? I wonder if that will increase the number of EDP applicants... It seems as though the MCAT matters up to a certain point (ie make sure you just didn't bomb it), but they certainly take other aspects of your application and weigh them just the same.

An email was sent out from my pre-med advisor a few months ago with an email from Sandy herself. This is what she said:

During it's meeting last Friday, the Admissions Committee modified a few of our procedures for the 2012 admissions cycle. I wanted to get these out to you as quickly as possible....

MCAT: We will not use MCAT total score bands; scores earned across all exams will be displayed in the applicants' files and will be made available to the Selection Committee.

EDP: The EDP application guideline (3.5 cumulative GPA and 28 MCAT total) has been eliminated. All EDP applicants will be considered for interview. While the exact number of applicants interviewed will depend upon the number of interviewers and interview rooms we have available, we anticipate interviewing 60-75 applicants. Applicants who are interviewed but not accepted via EDP will be offered another interview in January.

PREREQUISITES: No changes were made in the required courses, but an addition was made to the list of suggested courses. The committee recommends a course or two in the area of social determinants of health care (for example, cultural or social anthropology, public or population health, epidemiology, environmental health, health economics, health policy, history of medicine or public health, and ethics related to health care).

Take it as you will. But it seems like they would scrutinze applications more with the removal of the requirement (as in justifying an applicant with a low MCAT score. That said applicant may have an astounding GPA or ECs for that matter).

An email was sent out from my pre-med advisor a few months ago with an email from Sandy herself. This is what she said:

Take it as you will. But it seems like they would scrutinze applications more with the removal of the requirement (as in justifying an applicant with a low MCAT score. That said applicant may have an astounding GPA or ECs for that matter).

Interesting....

Thanks for sharing.. This is interesting. I wonder if they have a set maximum for the amount of acceptances given out for EDP applicants?

But it seems like they would scrutinze applications more with the removal of the requirement (as in justifying an applicant with a low MCAT score. That said applicant may have an astounding GPA or ECs for that matter).

Very interesting, I had no clue that the requirement was changed. There were probably applicants recently who seemed qualified but didn't meet one (probably not both) of the minimum requirements. Now that problem is gone.

The website says that they like to see letters of rec from a variety of sources... supervisors, volunteer coordinators, etc. Do you think it is a big disadvantage to only have letters from professors? I'll probably be getting one from my PI in a few weeks, though.

The website says that they like to see letters of rec from a variety of sources... supervisors, volunteer coordinators, etc. Do you think it is a big disadvantage to only have letters from professors? I'll probably be getting one from my PI in a few weeks, though.

Hmmm, how well do they know you?

Hmmm, how well do they know you?

One knows me pretty well, one I had 2 classes with and probably knows me more academically, and my non-science writer wrote me a pretty good letter (she let me read it).

My PI should be able to give me a pretty good one, too. I just don't have any past supervisors that I would feel comfortable having write me a letter.

One knows me pretty well, one I had 2 classes with and probably knows me more academically, and my non-science writer wrote me a pretty good letter (she let me read it).

My PI should be able to give me a pretty good one, too. I just don't have any past supervisors that I would feel comfortable having write me a letter.
go for it.

I think you will be ok.

:thumbup:

I just hope for some across-the-border love. If I don't get into Mizzou, Creighton, U of Nebraska, and KU would be my next choices.

Good luck. 3/4 of those I'm applying to

I never got that email. but my status on the site says they got it, so go figure

good luck.

I didn't get an email from KU, just to clarify. I got the email from AMCAS saying that my committee letter had been uploaded. They (AMCAS) send it out to all schools right? Or do I have to do something else?

This irks me. I also have a 29. I hate to be lumped in with those that got a 24....

Grrrr, still annoyed by this.

Awesome.

:thumbup:

I just hope for some across-the-border love. If I don't get into Mizzou, Creighton, U of Nebraska, and KU would be my next choices.

Me toooo. Of course...I just got rejected by U of Nebraska so I'm not holding out too much hope for Creighton. Sigh. Please, KU, show me some love...I'm starting to worry.

Good luck. 3/4 of those I'm applying to

I've also added Iowa to the mix...although I seriously doubt I have the stats to get in there. FML.

Once its marked as recieved by ACMAS, it should be good to go. Just keep checking on the secondary page for the status of the materials

Once its marked as recieved by ACMAS, it should be good to go. Just keep checking on the secondary page for the status of the materials

Thanks! I am complete as of 7/15. How long should we expect to wait to hear about interviews? I guess I can pop over to last year's page and check it out but I really want to get started on making some snickerdoodle cookies...

Thanks! I am complete as of 7/15. How long should we expect to wait to hear about interviews? I guess I can pop over to last year's page and check it out but I really want to get started on making some snickerdoodle cookies...

Depends on the date you chose. I think they said they contact 3-4 weeks before the interview date. Also since you are in state expect to hear a lot sooner than me.

Depends on the date you chose. I think they said they contact 3-4 weeks before the interview date. Also since you are in state expect to hear a lot sooner than me.

the date we chose? I don't remember that...

Erm Campus. Each campus had a list of dates associated with it.

Ahhh okay. Interviews are offered from October to February for RD folks and from the initial secondary email:

October 12, 13, 14 Kansas City
October 31, November 1, 2, 3 Wichita
November 7, 8 Salina
November 28, 29, 30 Kansas City
December 1, 2 Kansas City
January 4, 5, 6 Kansas City
January 23, 24, 25 Kansas City
February 8, 9, 10 Kansas City

Ahhh okay. Interviews are offered from October to February for RD folks and from the initial secondary email:

October 12, 13, 14 Kansas City
October 31, November 1, 2, 3 Wichita
November 7, 8 Salina
November 28, 29, 30 Kansas City
December 1, 2 Kansas City
January 4, 5, 6 Kansas City
January 23, 24, 25 Kansas City
February 8, 9, 10 Kansas City

Yea those. Thanks for posting them. I put no preference so im good i think :laugh:

File is finally listed as complete.

Late to this party, but I submitted for EDP a while ago. So here I am.

I'm surprised at the few OOS people who are applying. I was not aware that KU accepted enough OOS applicants to even make it worth trying over other schools. That's not to be disheartening; KU is just a state school, and state schools tend to stick to their own pretty closely, except for circumstances that would generally give the applicant a unique advantage (which could apply to ANY school).

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm just going off the application statistics from previous years (which I don't have handy at the moment, but can look at when I get off of work...)

Status
Not open for further replies.