2011-2012 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

First Post! Pick me Penn! I like that recent 225 million donation ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
how many people applied last year, how many received an interview and how many got in? also, what's the interview like?

Does anyone know if Penn screens for secondaries or not?

I will be attending Penn in the fall - it's early but I'll wish everyone good luck now anyways!

As far as interviews go, I believe I had two ~30 minute interviews. One was with a student and the other was with a faculty member. They were open interviews and I found them to be very laid back.

I'm curious if Penn will be changing their secondary prompts from last year in light of the fact that AMCAS now asks applicants to write about essentially the same thing in their app (describing three most important activities).

how many people applied last year, how many received an interview and how many got in? also, what's the interview like?

From MSAR:

6374 applied, and 860 interviewed, and 152 matriculate (I don't know how many were accepted), that's 13.5% and 2.5% respectively

yay penn. boo grades.

FWIW - this past cycle, interviewees were given the following numbers in their interview day folders:

2010 Statistics:
Applicant Pool - 6,374
Interviews - 872
Accepts - 254

That's pretty encouraging for interviewees. Not so much for those with their noses in the primaries, though... :)

i was also wondering if the secondaries will same this year with the new amcas activities section - im getting tired of rehashing my amcas on my secondaries..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We have received your 2012 AMCAS application and appreciate your interest in the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Our supplemental application will be released on or about July 7. On that date you will receive an e-mail with important instructions on how to access the supplemental application and establish your personal on-line status page for the 2012 admissions process.
A copy of our curriculum brochure will be mailed to the preferred address listed on your AMCAS application. You are also welcome to review the Admissions website for application details at www.med.upenn.edu/admiss.
We look forward to receiving and processing your 2012 application very soon.

We have received your 2012 AMCAS application and appreciate your interest in the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Our supplemental application will be released on or about July 7. On that date you will receive an e-mail with important instructions on how to access the supplemental application and establish your personal on-line status page for the 2012 admissions process.
A copy of our curriculum brochure will be mailed to the preferred address listed on your AMCAS application. You are also welcome to review the Admissions website for application details at www.med.upenn.edu/admiss.
We look forward to receiving and processing your 2012 application very soon.

Yeah, I got that too. Penn is such a long shot. It's stupid for me to even fill out the secondary...just that my mom wants me to apply and I couldn't refuse her :laugh:.

Yeah, I got that too. Penn is such a long shot. It's stupid for me to even fill out the secondary...just that my mom wants me to apply and I couldn't refuse her :laugh:.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that happens to :smuggrin:

Wonder what the secondary will look like this year. Pretty sure it has to change otherwise we'd be listing off our 6 most significant activities lol.

Like NeuroKidd, I will be matriculating at Penn this year and will be checking this thread from time to time to see if I can answer any questions. I second that there were two 30 minute interviews (one with a student and one with a faculty member), and they were both awesome. Penn (Perelman?) wants you to be comfortable and be yourself in the interviews, so don´t be nervous!

Once you´re here you´ll realize why everyone loves it so much. :)

Good luck everyone and DON´T stress out. (I know, easier said than done.)

congrats !!
Is the essay same as last year ?
Please check up to three (3) activities which are most important to you.
The goal of this question is to get supplemental information about
why these experiences were most important to you and
how they helped you develop skills in leadership, commitment
and as an individual.

LIMIT: 1000 Characters each

Nope, which is good because that was done through AMCAS changes this year. I only saw a "Why Penn?" question.

Could you list the essays?

Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine.

You might have other writing to do if you click yes to some of the questions, but that is the only required essay.

Also, as a heads up, Penn's tech team for the application apparently didn't get the message that e-mailing you your password is a bad idea (I'm talking about after you change it, not the initial password). I e-mailed them to ask them not to do that, but I don't know if/when that'll get changed.

does anyone mind posting the essays

I love the financial aid opportunity here, if I'm lucky to get in--this would be wonderful because no other top school has this kind of aid for there students (that I'm aware of)

Thank you for posting the prompt! Could you note the character/word limit, as a reference?

Thank you for posting the prompt! Could you note the character/word limit, as a reference?

Looks like it's limited to 1000 characters. Or so I gathered from copypasting 'aaaaaaaaaaaa' until it made me stop :D

Looks like it's limited to 1000 characters. Or so I gathered from copypasting 'aaaaaaaaaaaa' until it made me stop :D

Haha, nice way of checking it out :) Appreciate the help

Solid choice for the new secondary prompt. Plenty of room for you to elaborate on how you'll integrate yourself into the Penn community whilst showing your Perelman love.

While we're on the topic of PennLove, I reckon I'll share a few of the things I liked most about the school.

1) Curriculum. I used Penn's curriculumas a model when I began thinking about which schools I would apply to. While I know that there are people who prefer the more traditional two-year curriculum at other fantastic institutions, the 1.5 year pre-clinical phase is ideal for those of us who are eager to get clinical exposure. I've heard how great six extra months of rotations can be when it comes time to apply to residency. Not only can you broaden your clinical exposure if you're unsure as to what area of medicine you'd most like to practice, but if you decide to pursue something particularly competitive, you've got that extra time to get in pertinent experiences.

2) Consolidation of resources. Penn is one of a limited number of schools which is located within a larger university campus. Research, clinical, and academic opportunities are all right next to one another. Always wanted to take an extra art history class since you enjoyed that one during undergrad so, so much? Want to learn to be a businessman/woman extraordinaire? Care to ponder the ethical implications of the transplant surgery you just assisted with alongside an eminent figure in bioethics? You can do it all at Penn without going outside! (I may be exaggerating a little here, but everything's real close)

3) Clinical experiences. HUP, CHOP, student run clinics... No matter what demographic you want to work with or in what setting you want to do it, there's a place for it at Penn. Poke around on the website to see all of the opportunities in Philadelphia and abroad.

I know I only got to three, but alas, I am le tired and will bunch several things together here at the end.

The research opportunities are awesome. Basically any clinical, translational, or basic science interest you have can be pursued at Penn. The dual degree and certificate programs give students the opportunity to make their medical education as multidimensional as they'd like. Oh and there's also that enormous Perelman donation that's going to make your financial aid super awesome.

Too tired to go on for now, but I will update with anything else that comes to mind. Good luck to everyone and feel free to post with any questions you want one of us rising M1s to take a whack at!

Last edited:
Solid choice for the new secondary prompt. Plenty of room for you to elaborate on how you'll integrate yourself into the Penn community whilst showing your Perelman love.

While we're on the topic of PennLove, I reckon I'll share a few of the things I liked most about the school.

1) Curriculum. I used Penn's curriculumas a model when I began thinking about which schools I would apply to. While I know that there are people who prefer the more traditional two-year curriculum at other fantastic institutions, the 1.5 year pre-clinical phase is ideal for those of us who are eager to get clinical exposure. I've heard how great six extra months of rotations can be when it comes time to apply to residency. Not only can you broaden your clinical exposure if you're unsure as to what area of medicine you'd most like to practice, but if you decide to pursue something particularly competitive, you've got that extra time to get in pertinent experiences.

2) Consolidation of resources. Penn is one of a limited number of schools which is located within a larger university campus. Research, clinical, and academic opportunities are all right next to one another. Always wanted to take an extra art history class since you enjoyed that one during undergrad so, so much? Want to learn to be a businessman/woman extraordinaire? Care to ponder the ethical implications of the transplant surgery you just assisted with alongside an eminent figure in bioethics? You can do it all at Penn without going outside! (I may be exaggerating a little here, but everything's real close)

3) Clinical experiences. HUP, CHOP, student run clinics... No matter what demographic you want to work with or in what setting you want to do it, there's a place for it at Penn. Poke around on the website to see all of the opportunities in Philadelphia and abroad.

I know I only got to three, but alas, I am le tired and will bunch several things together here at the end.

The research opportunities are awesome. Basically any clinical, translational, or basic science interest you have can be pursued at Penn. The dual degree and certificate programs give students the opportunity to make their medical education as multidimensional as they'd like. Oh and there's also that enormous Perelman donation that's going to make your financial aid super awesome.

Too tired to go on for now, but I will update with anything else that comes to mind. Good luck to everyone and feel free to post with any questions you want one of us rising M1s to take a whack at!

wow thanks so much for your insight!! i was wondering, do you know if penn place any significance on international health???

wow, the 37 average MCAT for matriculating students is quite intimidating! I would love to go to Penn, but I'm starting to think it's a lost cause when my MCAT is 2pts below the average, and I'm a traditional student. mdapps isn't very encouraging either :( Can any current Penn students comment on this? Is it even worth it for me to apply?

wow, the 37 average MCAT for matriculating students is quite intimidating! I would love to go to Penn, but I'm starting to think it's a lost cause when my MCAT is 2pts below the average, and I'm a traditional student. mdapps isn't very encouraging either :( Can any current Penn students comment on this? Is it even worth it for me to apply?

I definitely think it's worth applying. Averages are averages, and I'm sure that once you meet a threshold (which a 35 almost certainly does) they're looking more at your fit for their school. You might not get in, but everyone might not get in. And wouldn't it be awesome if you did?

Anyone else receive a curriculum in the mail today?

2pts below? You're fine.

2 points! Is it even worth it for you to apply? Get it together man/woman! If you like the school, go for it. The number is an average! I was a "traditional" student as well and managed to sneak into the class of 2015.

When people I know irl ask me questions along these lines, I suggest that they think about the bigger picture. It will cost you a few hours of your life to edit secondaries and like $125 or something to apply to any given school (unless the secondaries are abnormally long). You can't be accepted or even considered without applying - and no matter what you do with your life, you will likely be able to recoup the $125. As far as healing your ego goes, you can write a sad poem in your journal and move on. Or point down the rankings list and laugh if life gives you those lemons of triumph.

... As far as healing your ego goes, you can write a sad poem in your journal and move on...

This cracks me up for some reason. Maybe I will compose rejection haikus or dedicate a sketchbook page to each rejection...

2 points! Is it even worth it for you to apply? Get it together man/woman! If you like the school, go for it. The number is an average! I was a "traditional" student as well and managed to sneak into the class of 2015.

When people I know irl ask me questions along these lines, I suggest that they think about the bigger picture. It will cost you a few hours of your life to edit secondaries and like $125 or something to apply to any given school (unless the secondaries are abnormally long). You can't be accepted or even considered without applying - and no matter what you do with your life, you will likely be able to recoup the $125. As far as healing your ego goes, you can write a sad poem in your journal and move on. Or point down the rankings list and laugh if life gives you those lemons of triumph.

haha I know I sound crazy. I just figured that I've already applied to a bunch of reach schools and Penn is probably least likely to accept me, so I might as well cut my losses. You're right though, it's only $80 and less than an hour of my time to apply...so I submitted my secondary today. I'm not expecting anything, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Thanks for convincing me!

haha I know I sound crazy. I just figured that I've already applied to a bunch of reach schools and Penn is probably least likely to accept me, so I might as well cut my losses. You're right though, it's only $80 and less than an hour of my time to apply...so I submitted my secondary today. I'm not expecting anything, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Thanks for convincing me!

You bet. I may or may not (I don't) get commission.

Best of luck with the application process and be sure and post if you get an interview at Penn - I will give you $1 when you get to Philly to offset the $80 application fee (no, I will not do this for all applicants).

NeuroKidd, do you know if is there any clinical exposure before clerkships begin in Year 2? Things like taking patient histories, physical examinations, medical interviewing, etc? Or do you not see a patient until halfway through MS-2? I've tried to decipher Penn's curriculum pages but the "module" diagrams are confusing me for some reason. Or maybe I've just been staring at med school stats for too long today... :sleep: Thanks!

You bet. I may or may not (I don't) get commission.

Best of luck with the application process and be sure and post if you get an interview at Penn - I will give you $1 when you get to Philly to offset the $80 application fee (no, I will not do this for all applicants).

haha I will definitely take you up on this :D

NeuroKidd, do you know if is there any clinical exposure before clerkships begin in Year 2? Things like taking patient histories, physical examinations, medical interviewing, etc? Or do you not see a patient until halfway through MS-2? I've tried to decipher Penn's curriculum pages but the "module" diagrams are confusing me for some reason. Or maybe I've just been staring at med school stats for too long today... :sleep: Thanks!

Good question. The module thing can be a little confusing to understand - somewhere you can probably find a curriculum diagram that will help you see the breakdown of that stuff. What you are asking about is actually module 3, which runs throughout the first 18 months of the Penn curriculum (pre-clinical phase). Module 3 involves acquiring basic clinical skills such as taking a history and physical and also includes various real and standardized patient experiences. See http://www.med.upenn.edu/student/mod3_overview.html for more info.

I know the information on the website is limited without a Penn ID, but if you go to the SOM homepage and click "student" on the horizontal bar and "student portal" in the subsequent drop-down menu you will be able to find a lot of information about the curriculum in the curriculum tab of the student portal website.

All of that being said, I like Penn so much as a school partly because I do think that they have a strong clinical focus to their curriculum. Hopefully this at least begins to answer your question. Also bear in mind, I haven't actually started at Penn yet, but this is my understanding of things.

Since Penn is a non-rolling school, is there any advantage of submitting the secondary early?? I still haven't gotten around to penn's secondary cuz I was so behind on some of the others ,,, and I am .. STILL behind.... so I was wondering whether I should leave this one off till a bit later... or would that be application suicide?

Since Penn is a non-rolling school, is there any advantage of submitting the secondary early?? I still haven't gotten around to penn's secondary cuz I was so behind on some of the others ,,, and I am .. STILL behind.... so I was wondering whether I should leave this one off till a bit later... or would that be application suicide?
I think you're fine for now. Earlier submission = earlier interview date if invited. Penn's is one of the easier ones I've seen, so you might consider getting it out of the way a little earlier just to feel less overwhelmed.

I think you're fine for now. Earlier submission = earlier interview date if invited. Penn's is one of the easier ones I've seen, so you might consider getting it out of the way a little earlier just to feel less overwhelmed.

Thanks for the advice :)
Do you know whether they send out significantly more interviews earlier in the season??

I don't think I submitted my AMCAS until mid-July.... while earlier certainly can't hurt, I don't think you're in any danger of being late. Just remember that the later you submit to any school, the more applicants you're likely going to be competing against (all those other people who put off their applications will have gotten them in by now as well). Good luck!

can anyone confirm that the character limit is 1000? doesnt seem like a lot of space

Status
Not open for further replies.