2011-2012 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am an OOS applicant with a 3.9 GPA and a 32 on the MCAT. Do you think it is worth applying to Penn as one of my reach schools? Thanks in advance.

If you genuinely think you'd like Penn, then you should go for it. In the grand scheme of things, I doubt you'll look back and wish you hadn't applied - a little money and some time working on the secondary could change your life! Do it! Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

If you genuinely think you'd like Penn, then you should go for it. In the grand scheme of things, I doubt you'll look back and wish you hadn't applied - a little money and some time working on the secondary could change your life! Do it! Good luck
I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

Congrats on the interview invites!! For those of you with IIs, when were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently writing the essay for this fella. Does anyone else feel like writing an essay about why you want to attend UPENN is similar to explaining why you want to find a suitcase full of money? Doesn't everyone want a suitcase full of money? :laugh:

I am currently writing the essay for this fella. Does anyone else feel like writing an essay about why you want to attend UPENN is similar to explaining why you want to find a suitcase full of money? Doesn't everyone want a suitcase full of money? :laugh:

Everyone may want a suitcase full of money, but everyone will do different things with it. What would you do and why do you want it?

Good luck! I've found that there are plenty of things to love about Penn - be sure and write about what stands out to you.

Hey guys, I am an OOS applicant with a 3.9 GPA and a 32 on the MCAT. Do you think it is worth applying to Penn as one of my reach schools? Thanks in advance.

Yes. First, OOS doesn't matter at Penn. I almost didn't apply (put it on my AMCAS a month or two later) and still ended up getting an interview and getting accepted. I thought I wouldn't like the school and then later I easily chose to go here out of many other options for all the reasons that make Penn the best med school in the country (of which it is, of course).

Penn Med really seems to love gathering info on any sort of personal connection to the school! Everything from parents, sibling, personal employment or education history with regards to Penn Med... do they really give them preferences?!

Since the different committees are somewhat separate from each other I couldn't tell you exactly what this info is used for. However, if I saw that on someone's application I would definitely ask them how it affected the decision to apply to Penn and what they really "know" about the school.

In other words, theoretically there is no preference, but if the person known is a current/recent relation to the school then it can make a difference to what the person already knows about the school. I personally wouldn't expect this type of interviewee to ask as many questions about the school and wouldn't hold it against him/her if none were asked. Nonetheless, I would still expect other questions.

For all y'all who've received and who will receive interview invites, you should absolutely come to the happy hour the night before - good opportunity to meet some other applicants and talk about Penn, Philly, and other miscellaneous things with current students!

I love this school SO much. Desperately hoping for an interview!

Interview invite today by email. I went to Penn undergrad and I was complete 8/8. I feel strangely validated.

Interview invite via email today!! Definitely was NOT expecting that. :D

Congrats to all those invited so far! To the rest, it's still very early in the season so don't fret.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on all the invites! I'll second the comment about it being early. I think I interviewed like two weeks after my invite so I don't think they give out invites very far in advance. Best of luck!

Hey congrats to all on the invites!

Any info format, etc.?

I have a problem because I have not heard anything from UPenn but I want to go back to where I live which is outside of the US. When I leave the US, probably in November, I will not come back for any additional interviews because it is just too far.

If I leave I think I will have to withdraw my application from all the schools I have not heard from. I would too sad to get an interview after I left.

I completed my application at UPenn on July 7th, never got an email saying I was complete, but it does say on the website that my app is complete. I also sent them an update recently saying that I will be leaving so if they want to interview me it would be best to know now. I got a response saying that the information would be added to my file.

Do people ever get interview invites long after they were complete? Is there any chance I will leave and then get an invite (especially since I already sent an email and got no invite makes me think I wont ever get one, or maybe UPenn doesn't care about those emails)?

Yes and yes.

Schools *may* try to accommodate you, but only as a courtesy. With so many qualified applicants (especially at UPenn), I doubt they would have trouble finding someone to interview if you leave the country and don't come back. Sounds harsh, but it's the reality.

I have a problem because I have not heard anything from UPenn but I want to go back to where I live which is outside of the US. When I leave the US, probably in November, I will not come back for any additional interviews because it is just too far.

If I leave I think I will have to withdraw my application from all the schools I have not heard from. I would too sad to get an interview after I left.

I completed my application at UPenn on July 7th, never got an email saying I was complete, but it does say on the website that my app is complete. I also sent them an update recently saying that I will be leaving so if they want to interview me it would be best to know now. I got a response saying that the information would be added to my file.

Do people ever get interview invites long after they were complete? Is there any chance I will leave and then get an invite (especially since I already sent an email and got no invite makes me think I wont ever get one, or maybe UPenn doesn't care about those emails)?

Penn does its best to accommodate people in these types of situations. I know we have already had applicants who were only available for the earliest interview dates because they were leaving the US. Like they informed you, it will be taken into consideration. Good luck!

Seems like it is taking less than 2 months to get an interview!

Complete mid September.....holding my breath here!

:oops::oops:

Just got my interview invitation, next friday it is. Was complete 8/31. Can anybody whose already interviewed give me any information that may prove to be helpful. Thanks

And did most people go to the happy hour the night before? what did most people wear?

And did most people go to the happy hour the night before? what did most people wear?

I went to the happy hour. It was casual. We all met at the med school and then walked to a nearby sports bar.

Just got my interview invitation, next friday it is. Was complete 8/31. Can anybody whose already interviewed give me any information that may prove to be helpful. Thanks

I'm trying to think if there's anything I wish I would have known before the interview, but it's really well-organized and informative. The hardest part was remembering the security guard's instructions for how to find my way to check-in.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to PM me.

neurokidd wasnt kidding when he mentioned that they dont send out invites that much in advance. couldnt make any of the earlier dates, so interview in 3 weeks!

Neurokidd doesn't kid, exaggerate, or have any other redeeming human qualities.

neurokidd wasnt kidding when he mentioned that they dont send out invites that much in advance. couldnt make any of the earlier dates, so interview in 3 weeks!

He doesn't even go here

You mad.

Go to happy hour if you're in town the night before. It isn't required and the admissions committee will not have any idea (or care) if you went or not, but it's a nice way to meet other applicants and you'll get to ask current students any questions you may have. Or you can see it as an opportunity to practice your mingling skills.

EDIT:

Happy hour attire - you can wear jeans and a t shirt. It's mostly 1st/2nd year students and we will not care what you are wearing. Also worth noting that students at the happy hour are in no way evaluating you for admissions... unless you are a blatant a**hole or are clearly insane.

Cheers

Last edited:
My take on Penn admissions -

- Great place, great city, great professors, great facilities, great students, great reputation, great residency placement...and we keep beating Hopkins on US News (if that matters any)
- They seem to prefer students from the east coast..no doubt ( I think we have only 2 students from Texas in my class )
- They seem to prefer Ivy League students ( over 50% of the class )
- They seem to prefer older students ...and students that have taken some time off after finishing undergrad ( 66% of my class )
- They will be giving a lot more merit money this year -

Give it your all during your interview. Bring out what would make you different from the rest. They want a diverse, friendly bunch of people.

Good luck March 15.

(I am partying hard. We just had a brutal first Anatomy exam today)

Not that it does, but wasn't this (2011) the first year? I don't know about "keep beating"....

Not that it does, but you are wrong. The first year was 2010. This is the SECOND year. And after the 225 million donation we got this year, I am betting on "keep beating".

Not that it does, but you are wrong. The first year was 2010. This is the SECOND year. And after the 225 million donation we got this year, I am betting on "keep beating".
My bad. You're right, Penn beat out Hopkins starting in 2010.

So what was the fastest turn around time for completion status to invite time?

Upenn = where dreams come true

:oops:

Is Penn receptive to changing interview time? I've been invited to MD/phD interview at another school that only has 1 interview day for MD/phD and of course it's when I've already set an interview up for UPenn. I was wondering if I try to move up my UPenn to a Nov slot so I can make it to the other school in Dec if they are okay with that. UPenn would be my first choice but of course I have no idea what my chances are so want to attend this other interview as well.

I think they are saving the best for last ;)

We wish :laugh: I'd be really happy to come here (or at least have a chance to visit) because the fiancee's applying for vet school, but I suppose it's out of my hands now. Good luck to all the interviewees! :thumbup:

Shocked by an interview invite yesterday! Super pumped, and a little worried how my small, no-name liberal arts college will be stacked against the plethora of ivy-league applicants . . .

Shocked by an interview invite yesterday! Super pumped, and a little worried how my small, no-name liberal arts college will be stacked against the plethora of ivy-league applicants . . .

same here, except im from a no name state school

I know eh!
I went to school in Canada (dual citizen but always lived in Canada)

I went to UBC though which is the big deal university in Canada next to Toronto but I'm pretty sure it means nothing to the US :idea:

We wish :laugh: I'd be really happy to come here (or at least have a chance to visit) because the fiancee's applying for vet school, but I suppose it's out of my hands now. Good luck to all the interviewees! :thumbup:

I wish you the best of luck! I hope you guys end up together, or at least close

This is pretty much the last place I am holding out for. I would LOVE to see UPenn. Show me some love! :xf: :)

kmel22 - it can't hurt to call and ask. You can always ask before giving them your name if you're nervous :)

For all those still waiting for an interview invite, keep up the positive thinking! This time last year I hadn't received my interview invite either! Penn really does send out interview invites close to the actual interview dates so it's definitely not too late.

And on ivy league preference here - not really sure what to say about that. I will say that I am from a state school that is not well known for its academics. While I can't 100% for certain say for sure that a brand name school won't give you a little push in the right direction in this process, I assure you that it is NOT required. There are several people in our class from smaller and lesser known schools. Please please please do not like something like that discourage you.

And on ivy league preference here - not really sure what to say about that. I will say that I am from a state school that is not well known for its academics. While I can't 100% for certain say for sure that a brand name school won't give you a little push in the right direction in this process, I assure you that it is NOT required. There are several people in our class from smaller and lesser known schools. Please please please do not like something like that discourage you.

Don't be intimidated by the ivy-league "preference" of Penn. It is really more of a geographic phenomenon and a selection bias - there are plenty of kids from ivy league undergrads who have great MCATs, letters, and extracurriculars, and have a connection to Philly, which is why they seem overrepresented at Penn. But if you're a competitive applicant from a "lesser" undergrad, you're still competitive at Penn.

Public school born and raised here :D

Does anyone know how much Penn is receptive to update letters? Thanks in advance!

As a student here I see no preference for location or whether or not you're Ivy League. It's just geographics and good scholarship (not money scholarship!). I'm not Ivy League.

West coasters tend to apply to more west coast schools and the same goes for east coast. Midwesterners tend to apply to more Midwest schools and then a good mix of east and west coast. It's just the way it goes so it makes sense that an East coast school is going to interview and accept more east coast people. That's where most applicants are going to be from.

Does anyone know how much Penn is receptive to update letters? Thanks in advance!

If you have something really meaningful to send, go ahead (a major award, a publication).

As a student here I see no preference for location or whether or not you're Ivy League. It's just geographics and good scholarship (not money scholarship!). I'm not Ivy League.

West coasters tend to apply to more west coast schools and the same goes for east coast. Midwesterners tend to apply to more Midwest schools and then a good mix of east and west coast. It's just the way it goes so it makes sense that an East coast school is going to interview and accept more east coast people. That's where most applicants are going to be from.

I would encourage everyone who loves Penn to apply here regardless of which undergrad school was attended. However, I disagree with the above. There is a preference for certain schools, beyond the geographic location and self selection. But if you are a competitive applicant, you will definitely be competitive at Penn!

interview schedule says the day ends at 4pm. whens a safe time to book my return flight? the latest flight back home for me is 6pm

and is the 1st week on november fall break?

Last edited:
I used Lady Liberty Shuttle. For $10, they picked me up where I was staying and took me to the airport, with a few stops along the way to pick up other folks. They came a little early, and I got to the airport with plenty of time to spare. My host had had good experiences with them, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.