2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive been complete since about sept 12th.. have not heard back from wayne state yet.. should i call for an update on my status?... lots of people in this thread who have been complete since sept have heard back.. getting antsy...!!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know the chances of an interview invite if you got a secondary?
and also, what are the chances of an acceptance once you got an interview?
thanks!

anyone know the chances of an interview invite if you got a secondary?
and also, what are the chances of an acceptance once you got an interview?
thanks!

well it depends on if your are OOS or IS, but I think the acceptance after you get an interview is around 61%

Members don't see this ad :)
66% acceptance rate for IS post-interview
33% acceptance rate for OOS post-interview

Congrats! Do you plan to accept the offer, or are you going to take your U of M acceptance?

I'm more than likely going to take my UofM acceptance, but if Wayne offers me a nice financial aid package and/or scholarship, then I'd have to re-consider it.

I just wanted to tell everyone who was waitlisted: Don't despair. Wayne's WL moves really fast. Last year I interviewed in November and was waitlisted for two cycles then accepted in January.
Also, if I remember correctly the stats from the old version of US news said something like 75% of IS applicants who were interviewed were eventually offered a seat. GL everyone :luck: and congrats to those accepted!

The waiting sucks, but it would suck more to be rejected ;) good luck!

Haha thanks! That's true :p maybe this will work to my advantage if they interviewed all the most competitive applicants first :laugh: the only thing is my interviewer said she was good at presenting files right away haha. we shall see in a month!

Congrats to those who recently got accepted! Must really nice getting one this early.

Does anybody know how Wayne State feels about in the area emails? I have an interview at another Michigan school early in Dec.

II for the end of November. Do I need to contact them to confirm my interview date? Or do they only want to hear from me if I need to reschedule? Thanks in advance!

II for the end of November. Do I need to contact them to confirm my interview date? Or do they only want to hear from me if I need to reschedule? Thanks in advance!

They sent me an email a few days before my interview asking me to confirm the date and whether I will be attending the tour or not.

Congrats! :) When were you complete and when did you receive the invite if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected pre-secondary a couple weeks ago

IS 36Q, 3.4
lots of ECs, clinical experience, pharmaceutical research

I don't get it...?

Wayne State has been really receptive to any emails I've sent them -- quick responses and friendly replies. So I would imagine that you would get at least an answer with in the area emails.

Congrats to those who recently got accepted! Must really nice getting one this early.

Does anybody know how Wayne State feels about in the area emails? I have an interview at another Michigan school early in Dec.

IS 36Q, 3.4

I don't get it...?
My guess, not having access to your application of course, is your GPA. It isn't that low, but Wayne focuses a lot on the numbers, and I think they prefer balanced MCAT and GPA both around or above the average to one well above average and one below. Good luck with your other schools!

IS 36Q, 3.4

I don't get it...?

Wayne's average admitted gpa is a 3.75. Their average admitted MCAT is a tad under 31. For whatever reason, they don't seem to value the MCAT as much.

Does anybody know some good apartments that are close to campus (within walking distance) and safe? Also, where do most of the students (M1 & M2) live if not in campus housing? I really love this school, but am worried about the living arrangements...

Thanks!

Does anyone know how/when you hear if you are awarded a scholarship? I was recently accepted to Wayne but was just curious how the whole scholarship process works. Thanks!

Does anyone know how/when you hear if you are awarded a scholarship? I was recently accepted to Wayne but was just curious how the whole scholarship process works. Thanks!

Yeah I'd like to know this as well. Loved this school but it's mad expensive for OOS. My guess is that we will get some sort of financial aid package after submitting FAFSA.

Yeah I'd like to know this as well. Loved this school but it's mad expensive for OOS. My guess is that we will get some sort of financial aid package after submitting FAFSA.

+1. I'd strongly consider attending here if it wasn't for the $60k OOS tuition :scared:.

Anyone OOS and not hear back after submitting your secondary so far?

I submitted 09/22, no word as of yet... is it advisable to send them an e-mail stating your interest/intent? :confused:

I submitted 09/22, no word as of yet... is it advisable to send them an e-mail stating your interest/intent? :confused:

I am in the same boat as you and wondering about sending a LOI as well. I received the complete email on Sep 23 but no word since.

Same here except im IS.

I've been complete since 9/6.

From email:

"This process may take several months as we receive many more applications than we can interview."

I believe I submitted my secondary a few days later then you and have already received a complete letter. I'm not really an expert on what to do but I guess a phone call couldnt hurt. Also, I'm sure it's no big deal and that they're just swamped at the moment

complete since late august and still no II

Does anybody know some good apartments that are close to campus (within walking distance) and safe? Also, where do most of the students (M1 & M2) live if not in campus housing? I really love this school, but am worried about the living arrangements...

Thanks!

There are tons of students living in lofts which are around the Canfield/Woodward intersection. I've seen several, and they're all very nice. A bit pricey, but very aesthetically appealing.

Guys, should I take an interview date right before OR right after the date they give out their monthly invites (these two dates are the only two choices)?

Which one can be considered more advantageous, if there is any advantage?

Thanks!

Guys, should I take an interview date right before OR right after the date they give out their monthly invites (these two dates are the only two choices)?

Thanks!
It doesn't matter AFAIK. My interviewer told me they meet each week to discuss applicants interviewed since the last meeting, and decide then. So based on this, it is equally likely that you will be accepted right before the release date or right after the previous release date. If they go into each meeting knowing what proportion of the applicants they are discussing that day they should accept to fill the available slots, and know how many applicants they will be discussing at the other meetings prior to that decision date, they can set it up so there is no advantage to interviewing early vs. late.

If what my interviewer told me is not entirely accurate, I am open to correction by someone with better information.

Thanks!

Are you talking about choosing a date before or after the next round of acceptances are given? I would choose the date before, assuming you are a good interviewer, because your interviewer, when he presents you to the committee, will have a fresher impression of you.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter AFAIK. My interviewer told me they meet each week to discuss applicants interviewed since the last meeting, and decide then. So based on this, it is equally likely that you will be accepted right before the release date or right after the previous release date. If they go into each meeting knowing what proportion of the applicants they are discussing that day they should accept to fill the available slots, and know how many applicants they will be discussing at the other meetings prior to that decision date, they can set it up so there is no advantage to interviewing early vs. late.

If what my interviewer told me is not entirely accurate, I am open to correction by someone with better information.

Thanks!

Can anyone verify this?

Are you talking about choosing a date before or after the next round of acceptances are given? I would choose the date before, assuming you are a good interviewer, because your interviewer, when he presents you to the committee, will have a fresher impression of you.

Yes that's what I am talking about. And that's exactly my concern. But based on theseeker4, it doesn't seem to be a problem?

This doesn't matter because they meet every Monday, so the monthly acceptance dates don't matter. Your file will be presented within a week. This is what my interviewer told me at least. Good luck!

when are the acceptance dates? are they posted some where? does any one know what date they are in december?Jan?

when are the acceptance dates? are they posted some where? does any one know what date they are in december?Jan?

They give you a sheet with all the dates on your interview day. I have it somewhere at home so I can check for you when I get back. I know it's the 23rd for this month though :xf::xf:

According to the sheet I got from the interview:
Nov 23
Dec 21
Jan 25
Feb 22
March 21
May 5

So much waiting.......:scared:

Any Canadians hear back about interviews yet? I was complete mid-September, nothing yet.

So far wayne has only offered one batch of acceptances right? (and EDP im guessing?)

Any Canadians hear back about interviews yet? I was complete mid-September, nothing yet.

A few Canadians heard back already. Two of us were sent interview invites some time in late September after being complete in September (the exact info is a few pages back in this thread).

And yes deadman, EDP and 1 non EDP batch so far.

For what it's worth, I interviewed last year in September and was on the waitlist till May. So... I guess what I'm saying is be patient. :)

For what it's worth, I interviewed last year in September and was on the waitlist till May. So... I guess what I'm saying is be patient. :)
Thanks for the encouragement. It helps to hear from those who beat the waitlist.

Does anyone know who (2-3 faculty, admission staff, or others) reviews the secondaries in order to determine whether an II is made?

Hi. Just want to confirm one thing. I am going to send the $50 deposit and accept my Wayne State offer. Will this remove me from consideration from other schools? In other words, by accepting Wayne - can I still receive interviews from other schools OR will they find this out and remove me from their applicant pool? Thanks!

Hi. Just want to confirm one thing. I am going to send the $50 deposit and accept my Wayne State offer. Will this remove me from consideration from other schools? In other words, by accepting Wayne - can I still receive interviews from other schools OR will they find this out and remove me from their applicant pool? Thanks!

You can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th.

Interview Statistics if you're interested:
From last year,

# of interviews
OOS: 261
IS: 591

# acceptances
OOS: 160
IS: 355

% accepted from interview
OOS: 61.3%
IS: 60.0%

Used data from MSAR and Wayne website (though MSAR reported smaller number of OOS matriculants idk why)

So basically, if you got to the interview stage, you have a 60.0% of being accepted if you are IS and a 61.3% chance of being accepted if OOS...the latter is probably because of the double screenings OOS people go through to get an interview lol...already being judged :laugh:

Hope this helps people who had or will have their interview! Correct me if you think I made a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.