2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in late September and then was placed on the alternate list in October... any chance of me hearing a decision the next time they send out acceptances (11/23)?

Does anyone know how/when you hear if you are awarded a scholarship? I was recently accepted to Wayne but was just curious how the whole scholarship process works. Thanks!

I believe financial aid packages should start rolling in around March/April-ish. As far as I have been told by folks at Wayne, they have a few recruitment scholarships each year, and thats about it for non-need-based aid.

It's only a $50 deposit, so if you are seriously considering Wayne, I would hold onto that admission offer until after FAFSA and all that stuff is taken care and see how the financial aid situation pans out.

I interviewed in late September and then was placed on the alternate list in October... any chance of me hearing a decision the next time they send out acceptances (11/23)?
I believe so. The alternate list letter specifically states that people on the alternate list could be accepted at any time admissions decisions are made. Also, looking at last years application cycle on MDapps, quite a few people were waitlisted in October and accepted on the proceeding admission dates, whether it be the next months admission decisions or all the way til summer. Regardless, I believe everyone on the wait list is considered each time they meet.

I believe so. The alternate list letter specifically states that people on the alternate list could be accepted at any time admissions decisions are made. Also, looking at last years application cycle on MDapps, quite a few people were waitlisted in October and accepted on the proceeding admission dates, whether it be the next months admission decisions or all the way til summer. Regardless, I believe everyone on the wait list is considered each time they meet.

Thanks! So fingers crossed then.......

OOS interviewers -- were you grilled on reasons why you wanted to come to Detroit? I know that everyone says this is a laid back interview, just wondering about this particular aspect.

Anyone interviewing on 11/18? I'll see you there!

OOS interviewers -- were you grilled on reasons why you wanted to come to Detroit? I know that everyone says this is a laid back interview, just wondering about this particular aspect.

It's a date :)

I wouldn't use the world grilled but my interviewer was definitely interested in hearing about why I wanted to come to Wayne/Detroit and if I had any ties to the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
My interview is Dec. 5th at 3 p.m. Anyone else doing it then at this time?

Also, I have a quick question.
What time does the interview day start? I think I remember reading 8:30 on the letter...but I maybe remembering wrong. Also, what building is it in? Thanks!

I'd better start looking for that letter lol.

They don't really have an "interview day." I believe its just an optional tour/lunch at 12, and then nothing until your interview. The building is called Mazurek Medical Education Commons.

They don't really have an "interview day." I believe its just an optional tour/lunch at 12, and then nothing until your interview. The building is called Mazurek Medical Education Commons.

Unless your interview is before the optional tour/lunch. so don't be late!

Good luck to you!

We hear back before 2 pm EST right? I personally didn't like how I did on my interview, so expecting the worst.

Yep! I'd expect to hear from them 11 earliest. Good luck to u too! It's not all about the interview lol:xf::xf:

Oh boo... no change to my status... I guess the waiting continues.................

Good luck to everyone else who will be hearing back today!!!

I think for every school I applied I have my very own ulcer to remember it by. Fond memories.

Oh boo... no change to my status... I guess the waiting continues.................

Good luck to everyone else who will be hearing back today!!!

What do you mean? We're u wait listed last month or something? How do you know that ur status hasn't changed?

What do you mean? We're u wait listed last month or something? How do you know that ur status hasn't changed?

I interviewed late Sept, placed on alternate list on Oct, received an email this morning that my status has not changed at this time and my application will be continued to be considered in subsequent rounds... Next decision date is December 21 so hopefully better news then!

I interviewed late Sept, placed on alternate list on Oct, received an email this morning that my status has not changed at this time and my application will be continued to be considered in subsequent rounds... Next decision date is December 21 so hopefully better news then!

Ohhh I see. I was just surprised that you heard from them so early today haha. Best of luck next month!

Ohhh I see. I was just surprised that you heard from them so early today haha. Best of luck next month!

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to freak out anyone who will be hearing back today! & good luck to you too!

Accepted! (email 2 minutes ago)

What happened with your interview? Mine was very laid back, very conversational...was yours different?

I felt that the interviewer didn't really want to learn about me and that I only got to reiterate what was on my AMCAS already. It was laid back for sure though, until I realized after the interview that I hadn't sold myself at all.

Last edited:
Alternate list this go-round.

Very surprised to hear back as I interviewed on 11/18.

Good luck everyone!

Alternate list this go-round.

Very surprised to hear back as I interviewed on 11/18.

Good luck everyone!

Alternate list as well, keep your chin up! It was nice to meet you by the way :)

Could anyone inform me about the mechanics for the deposit at Wayne? My interview invite mail from Wayne took almost two weeks to reach me two months ago and I'd like to make sure that I don't miss any deadline for the deposit.

Alternate list. Pretty bummed, was my top choice school and I thought my interview went very well

Congrats to everyone accepted! Good luck with the alternate list for those of you not accepted, don't give up hope and good luck with your other schools!

Could anyone inform me about the mechanics for the deposit at Wayne? My interview invite mail from Wayne took almost two weeks to reach me two months ago and I'd like to make sure that I don't miss any deadline for the deposit.
You will receive a formal package in the mail asking for the deposit, a form to be filled out, and a letter declaring you are accepting the admission offer. Just type up a quick note saying you are accepting the offer and mail it back with the form and deposit. They want your decision within two weeks of receiving the acceptance package, so I wouldn't worry about the timing, just send the stuff in as soon as you get it. Congrats!

Did everyone who got interview invites who were not MD/PhD candidates answer Question V ("MD/MPH applicants must answer this question")? It didn't say "only" so I assumed it was optional for non-MD/PhDs.

Did everyone who got interview invites who were not MD/PhD candidates answer Question V ("MD/MPH applicants must answer this question")? It didn't say "only" so I assumed it was optional for non-MD/PhDs.

No you don't have to answer that question. Unless Wayne works differently, MD/PhD and MD/MPH (masters of public health) are two different programs. The last question seems very specifically aimed to MPH applicants only.

I'd say that writing an essay saying that you like MPH but not applying for it would sound weird.

No you don't have to answer that question. Unless Wayne works differently, MD/PhD and MD/MPH (masters of public health) are two different programs. The last question seems very specifically aimed to MPH applicants only.

I'd say that writing an essay saying that you like MPH but not applying for it would sound weird.

Oh sorry, it looks like I had meant to say "who were not MD/MPH candidates", but you've answered my question anyway. Thank you.

Had my interview yesterday and WOW that school is great! The interview was so laid back! I felt like I was talking to a long time friend. :)
December 21st will not come soon enough!!!

Loved this school!

OOS interview invite today for january!!! :)

Hey guys!
My interview is Dec. 5th at 3 p.m. Anyone else doing it then at this time?

Also, I have a quick question.
What time does the interview day start? I think I remember reading 8:30 on the letter...but I maybe remembering wrong. Also, what building is it in? Thanks!

I'd better start looking for that letter lol.

Would you guys mind sharing when you were complete?

I didn't submit my secondary until October 21st. Haven't heard anything so far. Anyone else in this boat?

Had my interview yesterday and WOW that school is great! The interview was so laid back! I felt like I was talking to a long time friend. :)
December 21st will not come soon enough!!!

Loved this school!
I know, it was a great interview, and the students I met were very laid back as well. Good luck, and hopefully I will see you in August :D

I received an OOS invite earlier this week (complete mid august for those who are curious).

I withdrew however, which is unfortunate since I LOVE Michigan but I wanted someone else to have it that needs it more. The OOS tuition made Wayne not a viable choice for me :(

Good luck everyone!

Has anyone from the Nov 23 acceptance/rejection batch received their mail package yet? I still haven't received mine.

Has anyone from the Nov 23 acceptance/rejection batch received their mail package yet? I still haven't received mine.

Got it in the mail today. They must have been late sending them out last week because of the holiday.

How cold is it in Detroit in December? I heard the forecast for early this week was snowy. I'm from New Jersey lol so it's a bit chilly here but that can usually be overcome with a sweater or a thick hoodie. Would a wool coat in Detroit this time of year be overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.