2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone interviewed for the MD/MPH program yet? I am scheduled for Nov.7th, one interview for the MD followed by a separate interview with the MPH people. Wondering what kind of questions I should expect from the MPH side of things.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice guys! So psyched for my interview tmrw :D

Btw, is it a good idea to bring an update letter with me of stuff I've done since my primary app (fairly significant)? Or should I email it to them after the interview?

My interviewer specifically asked me if I had any updates to add to my file, and also told me to email him if I thought of any additional updates. Therefore, based on my experience, I would say bring the update letter, and then if your interviewer doesn't want to take the letter for some reason, you can just email it after the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interviewer specifically asked me if I had any updates to add to my file, and also told me to email him if I thought of any additional updates. Therefore, based on my experience, I would say bring the update letter, and then if your interviewer doesn't want to take the letter for some reason, you can just email it after the interview.

Just finished!!!! Ya she took my update right there. And said she would be presenting my file today at the meeting :D

Hopefully good news on Wednesday :)

Does anyone know when the next acceptance offers will be made if we interview on dec 5?

Congrats!:D can I ask when you were complete?

Sure!
I got the "secondary app received" email on October 5th.

I was sent the secondary September 8th, but being the lazy person I am I didn't send it out until the end of September lol.

wow who said that? I'm an M1 and never had that experience last year or see that now either. People tend to be pretty chill here in admissions. Not like those interviews where they ask you tons of ethical questions or really do a number on you as I've heard happens at other schools.

I'll agree that Wayne's interviewers are generally pleasant and they try to make you feel comfortable at your interview.

Questions are a bit variable. Just prepare for everything/anything. They definitely ask you general questions. If you're OOS, definitely expect some type of "Why Detroit?" question (confirmed with several current oos students).

In my own interview, I was asked about cultural competence and health disparities in medicine, as well as my personal goal as a future physician. I attribute the health disparities and cultural competence bit to the fact that I was interviewing a higher-up from the Diversity and Inclusion Office.

Expect the interview to be about an hour, but it will be one of the quicker hours of your lives.

OOS Interview Invite. Anyone know if I could become a Michigan resident?

OOS Interview Invite. Anyone know if I could become a Michigan resident?

That's a very good question. If I get accepted, only realistic option for me attending this school is if I can get IS tuition after 1-year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed for the MD/MPH program yet? I am scheduled for Nov.7th, one interview for the MD followed by a separate interview with the MPH people. Wondering what kind of questions I should expect from the MPH side of things.

I had a friend interview for this program last year, so this info is secondhand but hopefully this is helpful.

She said that it was a very conversational interview. They asked her about her experiences in public and her classes in public. They discussed generally how an MPH would help with a career in medicine and that kind of thing. Very open ended. She said it seemed like they just wanted to make sure you knew what public health was about and why you wanted to do the program. :luck:

Definitely helpful, since I had no idea what to expect. Thanks!

1 more day! ... Hopefully I'll hear back :D

Good luck to everyone expecting news tomorrow. I'm not going to be able to sleep!

I remember them saying that it will be no later than 1 pm CST. Good luck everyone!

ahhhhh the suspense is killing me! especially not knowing whether or not i'll hear back today :confused:

not knowing?? did they not tell you when you would be hearing back?

not knowing?? did they not tell you when you would be hearing back?

I interviewed this monday so they said i have a chance of hearing back today :D
but my interviewer made it seem as though she was going to present my file on monday for sure, which would mean hearing back today... but we'll see! :)

I interviewed this monday so they said i have a chance of hearing back today :D
but my interviewer made it seem as though she was going to present my file on monday for sure, which would mean hearing back today... but we'll see! :)
Wow, that sucks that they didn't tell you for sure, one way or another. Good luck!

I remember them saying that it will be no later than 1 pm CST. Good luck everyone!
Yeah, don't count on that as a hard time limit. They said I would hear by 2, called just after 2 and didn't get the results until after 3.... I am sure it will be today though, and by all means call if you don't have the e-mail when they say you will. :luck:

Yeah, don't count on that as a hard time limit. They said I would hear by 2, called just after 2 and didn't get the results until after 3.... I am sure it will be today though, and by all means call if you don't have the e-mail when they say you will. :luck:

Yea, that makes sense. We'll wait and see how it goes.

I got accepted as well. I can't believe it - I read multiple times to make sure.

I got accepted as well. I can't believe it - I read multiple times to make sure.
LOL, I know the feeling. Soon after getting the e-mail I had the thought in the back of my mind that they sent me the wrong notice, and I wasn't 100% convinced I was really accepted until I got the formal letter in the mail. Got to love neuroticism, lol :rolleyes:

Sigh. Placed on Alternate List...

Letter says that you can get an offer any stage throughout the app cycle but in reality, does this most likely mean I won't hear back until next summer?

Letter says that you can get an offer any stage throughout the app cycle but in reality, does this most likely mean I won't hear back until next summer?
Sorry to hear that, but there seems to be good waitlist movement based on last year.

I was told by my interviewer that if you are placed on alternate list, you won't get accepted off it until after May 15th. I am not sure if he was correct, but that is what he told me. Good luck, both getting off the waitlist here and with your other schools!

Sorry to hear that, but there seems to be good waitlist movement based on last year.

I was told by my interviewer that if you are placed on alternate list, you won't get accepted off it until after May 15th. I am not sure if he was correct, but that is what he told me. Good luck, both getting off the waitlist here and with your other schools!

Thanks!

I won't be accepting my offer, and I hope my spot goes to you.

Just wanted to say, Wayne is a great school.

Alternate list. Dang. Was really hoping for some great news. But I'm grateful to even be on the alternate list. Let the waiting begin!

Congrats to all those accepted!

If i don't hear anything in the next 25min i'm going to call...

boo, i guess it's another month of waiting for me :(:(

Waitlisted as well, quite a bummer.

Anyway, the letter specifically states "Individuals placed on the alternate list may get an admission offer at any stage of review when admission decisions are made." So we could receive an acceptance before summer. Also, after looking through MDapps, there were multiple people from last years application cycle who were waitlisted early and accepted before summer. Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone on the wait list and congrats to those that were excepted.

Anyway, the letter specifically states "Individuals placed on the alternate list may get an admission offer at any stage of review when admission decisions are made." So we could receive an acceptance before summer. Also, after looking through MDapps, there were multiple people from last years application cycle who were waitlisted early and accepted before summer. Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone on the wait list and congrats to those that were excepted.

Agree that looking at MDapps and previous year's threads gives reason to maintain hope. If we're being considered at every decision date it has to be an advantage to make the alternate list now as opposed to March. I think Wayne has used this strategy for a while. A family friend who graduated in the mid 90s said that he and several of his friends made it in off the alternate list.

While feeling defeated earlier after getting the news, I remembered a conversation I had with a guy last weekend at a wedding. He's complete at 29 schools and has no interview invites yet. I'm sure he'd kill to be on a waitlist at this point.

So, congrats to everyone who got acceptances today, and best of luck to everyone in the alternate purgatory with me. Cheers.

That is good to know. In that case, either my interviewer was mistaken, or they changed the policy for this year. Hopefully, it is the former and a lot of you on the waitlist will get some offers before this summer. :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.