2011-2012 Yale Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone go on their tour with Dippy? Anyone catch his full name?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Yale accepts file updates after an II but prior to the interview? If so, in what format? Thank you!

Does anyone know if Yale accepts file updates after an II but prior to the interview? If so, in what format? Thank you!
I'm pretty sure they do not unless you have already been interviewed. They justify this by saying it is necessary to be fair to all applicants under consideration. You've also asked this question elsewhere...if you read most of your secondary invites, the info is contained in the instructions:)

I'm pretty sure they do not unless you have already been interviewed. They justify this by saying it is necessary to be fair to all applicants under consideration. You've also asked this question elsewhere...if you read most of your secondary invites, the info is contained in the instructions:)

Thank you very much!

Anyone know how Yale reschedules interviews? There is a chance I have to move my date for a family commitment, but I do not want to do it if it will cause problems. At the end of the day, my family will understand ...

so they have received everything for me secondary wise for more than a week now and on the status page it says everything has been received but under file complete it says NO.

any ideas why this is?

so they have received everything for me secondary wise for more than a week now and on the status page it says everything has been received but under file complete it says NO.

any ideas why this is?
Yup they have to manually go through and check things off. I submitted back in the early summer and it still took a good 3.5 weeks for things to become complete so no need to be worried quite yet.

Anyone know how much longer there will be interview offers going out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get an email inviting them to complete the secondary, and that the deadline had been extended? I was reluctant to spend the $$ because my MCAT and GPA are below average, but maybe I'll give it a shot?

Did anyone else get an email inviting them to complete the secondary, and that the deadline had been extended? I was reluctant to spend the $$ because my MCAT and GPA are below average, but maybe I'll give it a shot?
yes, yale has e-mailed me so much i am rather bored with them...........

has anyone heard anything about interviews yet??
How long do you usually have to wait from the time you submit your secondary before getting interviews/rejections?:confused:

What do you guys think about yale extending the submission deadline for secondaries? Do you guys think that they are not satisfied with the applicants that they have currently? :scared: Or do you think that they are just hungry for money? Or both?

i was complete 9/20 and have heard nothing either. they're non-rolling, so i guess they take their time.

Being that many schools have indicated that this is the "most competitive cycle" in recent memory - filled with the "most impressive pool" of applicants... I don't see how that is possible [being that people tend to apply broadly (i.e. those people applying to top 20 schools won't especially avoid Yale)].

...So who knows.

As a non-elite candidate, I found Yale's elite status to be a turn-off.

Did anyone fly into the Newark Airport? If so, did you take a train to New Haven? I'm from the west coast and am thinking of flying into JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark and then taking a train. Was hoping for some input from anyone who has tried this.

Thanks in advance!

Did anyone fly into the Newark Airport? If so, did you take a train to New Haven? I'm from the west coast and am thinking of flying into JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark and then taking a train. Was hoping for some input from anyone who has tried this.

Thanks in advance!

Newark Airport would be easiest. LaGuardia Airport to Grand Central Station for the Metro North service to New Haven wouldn't be too bad either, but you'd have to take a cab. JFK airport is really far from the city.

For Newark, you can take a train shuttle directly from the terminal to the Newark Airport train station. Then, if you time it right, you can take a Northeast Regional Amtrak train directly from Newark Airport station to New Haven with no transfers at all. I vote for Amtrak :D.

Newark Airport would be easiest. LaGuardia Airport to Grand Central Station for the Metro North service to New Haven wouldn't be too bad either, but you'd have to take a cab. JFK airport is really far from the city.

For Newark, you can take a train shuttle directly from the terminal to the Newark Airport train station. Then, if you time it right, you can take a Northeast Regional Amtrak train directly from Newark Airport station to New Haven with no transfers at all. I vote for Amtrak :D.

THANK YOU! That is perfect!

Thanks in advance!

You can also consider flying into Tweed Airport and taking a taxi ($15ish) into New Haven. I'm from Cali and have vastly preferred doing this to taking the Amtrak/Metronorth/CT Limo/other shuttle from NYC, but you do have to connect flights in Philly. Check prices and good luck! :)

I submitted my application over a month ago (mid October) but they still haven't marked it complete...should I call?

I submitted my application over a month ago (mid October) but they still haven't marked it complete...should I call?

I had to call them because my application hadn't been marked complete after a month and a half and my status page was showing they hadn't received any of my materials. They were nice though and had it marked complete within a few days.

Got back from lunch to an interview invite in my inbox! So excited!!! I was complete in the middle of August so I assumed they had passed me over. Dates available were late December and early January.

i was complete 9/20 and have heard nothing either. they're non-rolling, so i guess they take their time.
I was complete 11/29/11 and got an II today!

Also, I just realized this is my first post after months of lurking!

I was complete 11/29/11 and got an II today!

Also, I just realized this is my first post after months of lurking!

Congrats and welcome! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about Yale, New Haven, or visiting!

Thanks, guys! Cinclus, you shouldn't be too worried! Not only are you going to be be a doctor (!!!), but you have some great options for where you'll become one. Also, there are still 3 more months of interviews, and there were a ton of slots still open in January.

II today! complete last day of october.
folks with interview invites.. do you guys mind sharing your stats ?

I understand stats alone are not indicative of the strength of your application but it does provide a range for this school

folks with interview invites.. do you guys mind sharing your stats ?

I understand stats alone are not indicative of the strength of your application but it does provide a range for this school

39M MCAT and 3.96 GPA

i'm from a no name state school.

As a non-elite candidate, I found Yale's elite status to be a turn-off.

As a first year med student I can assure you that's it's not as elitist as you may think. One of my classmates just introduced me to that cat meme that you have as your avatar. You may find that you'd fit right in.

Any idea when Yale stops sending out II and starts sending the rejection notices? I am having a hard time finding it anywhere... does their interview season extend until mid March? Thanks!

I believe Yale stops interviewing in late February. I'll see if I can dig up where I learned that, but I'm 90% sure they'll keep sending them out for a while still.

II today! complete last day of october.

Congrats!
When you say you were complete last day of october, do you mean you submitted secondary on that date, or Yale marked you complete on that date?

I think there is some confusion here. Yale accepts "pre-interview" updates, but only if you have already been invited for an interview. From their secondary website:

It is our policy that additional material will be considered only after an applicant has been invited for interviews. In order to assure that all applications are evalutated in a fair and consistent manner, interview decisions are made on the basis of information provided in the AMCAS application, Yale Supplemental Application, and original letters of recommendation.

If you are invited for interviews, you may send additional information and/or additional letters of recommendation, and this new information will be added to your application and considered by our admissions committee.

When submitting additional information, please indicate that you have been invited for interviews and send the information to [email protected].

Does this make sense?

:eek:

Holy crap...I got an invite. I'm absolutely shocked. I submitted the secondary on the very last day as a Hail Mary.

I was so not expecting to even get an interview, never mind one so fast.

Could I ask you when your app was complete by?

I sent mine in 11/28...
They've extended the deadline from 11/15 this year and I took my time ..

:eek:

Holy crap...I got an invite. I'm absolutely shocked. I submitted the secondary on the very last day as a Hail Mary.

I was so not expecting to even get an interview, never mind one so fast.

Could I ask you when your app was complete by?

I sent mine in 11/28...
They've extended the deadline from 11/15 this year and I took my time ..

Status
Not open for further replies.