2011 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an interview call from SUNY Buffalo today, and my cohort-mate got a call from Harvard/Cambridge Health (but I did not :( ). Aside from that, crickets. Anyone else hear from anywhere today? I'm particularly wondering about:

Institute for Child and Family Health
Metro State College of Denver
Miami-Dade Dept of Human Services
Oklahoma Health Consortium
Southern Illinois University
Bowling Green State University
Tarzana
Clifford Beers Clinic
Rappahannock Area Community Services Board
Institute for Multicultural Counseling Education Services
Gateway Foundation
Pennsylvania Counseling Services
Holcomb Behavioral Health Systems

Thanks and best wishes to everyone!

Congrats on the interview! We have a handful of sites in common:

Institute for Child and Family Health
Metro State College of Denver
Clifford Beers Clinic

I'll be sure to keep you posted if I hear anything about them and hope you do the same :)

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly feel there needs to be some type of limit imposed for Phase I applications as well, or at least some change to the current system. With the process having been completely computerized for the first time this year, the average number of applications per applicant seems to have jumped significantly. Even just three or four years ago, I feel as though it was relatively rare for a student to apply to more than perhaps 10 or 12 sites. This past year, I don't know if I heard a single person (myself included) who applied to fewer than 15.

Part of this can no doubt be blamed on the growing imbalance, as well as APPIC's own indirect suggestion to apply to 15 locations (per the matching stats and rate hike afterward). However, I can't help but wonder if this increased number of applications impacted the match, as it's likely something sites haven't had to deal to this degree before.

Last year was actually the first year that the process was computerized, and yes, I believe the stats did show an increase (though at the moment I am too lazy to find them - they should be posted on the APPIC website). I COMPLETELY agree with with. I bet less sites would be in Phase II (and thus less applicants) if sites had less apps to sort through in Phase I. 200+ applicants for ~5 spots? That is ridiculous, and it is not surprising that some great candidates would fall through the cracks.

Has anyone who got an interview with Wasatch (utah) had any trouble getting in touch with the TD? We played phone tag on last Tuesday without successfully reaching each other, and now I haven't heard back and still cannot reach him. Any advice? I'm trying to be patient but I'm worried my interview offer has been somewhat retracted! Thanks

I juat want to send you my sympathy. That's a sucky situation, and I would be nervous too.

I have an interview with Assessment and Treatment Alternative in PA. Their emails have been about as unpersonalized as possible, and I got one yesterday that simply said they will be contacting me on a specific day "as close to the time perameters you specified as possible." The problem? I only told them a 1.5hr time frame when I WOULDN'T be available. That leaves 22.5hrs when they COULD CALL (or at least 10, assuming they wont call in the middle of the night). I asked for a little clarification (even the cable company gives you a 3 hour window!) but no response. Smh.

Did anyone else apply to forensic sites? I am waiting on many sites, but I am especially anxious about Tulane, Lexington Federal Medical Center, and Northeast Oklahoma. Has anyone heard from them?

Tulane is actually my top choice, but not a peep :( I imagine they probably got a LOT of applications. Also applied to Lexington, but nada. Fingers crossed!! :xf:

Last year was actually the first year that the process was computerized, and yes, I believe the stats did show an increase (though at the moment I am too lazy to find them - they should be posted on the APPIC website). I COMPLETELY agree with with. I bet less sites would be in Phase II (and thus less applicants) if sites had less apps to sort through in Phase I. 200+ applicants for ~5 spots? That is ridiculous, and it is not surprising that some great candidates would fall through the cracks.

Yep, you're right--per APPIC, "In terms of a longer-term trend, the number of submitted applications decreased between 1999 and 2003, from 13.8 to 12.1, and has been steadily rising since 2003."

The numbers go from ~12 applications per applicant in 2003 up to ~15 last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone just hearing crickets today? I'm still waiting on a few

Harvard (extreme longshot and I saw that someone got an invite yesterday)
Miami-Dade
ICFH
Clifford Beers
Rappahannock

Other than those potentials, I'm now done with interviews!

Hang in there everyone. Remember that many fine applicants didn't initially match, and found a great fit during Clearing House (now Phase II), and others re-applied and landed at great spots. I'm one of those people, and I turned out okay...just ask my mom! :D

Is everyone just hearing crickets today? I'm still waiting on a few

Harvard (extreme longshot and I saw that someone got an invite yesterday)
Miami-Dade
ICFH
Clifford Beers
Rappahannock

Other than those potentials, I'm now done with interviews!

Congrats on being done with interviews! Yes, crickets over here as well. I wonder at what point we should stop hoping to hear from the sites that haven't contacted any of us? I still hold out a glimmer of hope, but it seems unlikely sites can still be contacting people to offer interviews.

Man I can't believe how quiet it is. I can't believe you are done with interviews!!! Haha I only have two, one Thursday and one Friday! My interviews haven't even started yet! But I am still waiting to hear from ICFH, Miami-Dade, and Synchrony of Visalia. No one has mentioned getting interviews or rejections from any of those sites... and I can't believe no one is hearing from anyone really today!!! This is so frustrating, I feel like the days are going by even slower now than they did in Phase One!!!

Nothing at all, the sound of no interviews is the sound coming this way. I must assume that at this late date having received no interviews, I shall either get extraordinarily lucky in the next piece of internship drama or will be looking to next year for that magic match.
avis:D

I have heard absolutely nothing today. I can't imagine that NONE of us would get interviews at these sites, so I am still holding out hope. :xf:

I have heard absolutely nothing today. I can't imagine that NONE of us would get interviews at these sites, so I am still holding out hope. :xf:

Exactly what I am thinking/hoping!

That's what I was thinking too. I mean there are sites that have hundreds of applicants and are interviewing 15 or fewer people (Wasatch, for example) and there are a few interviewees on here. If literally no SDNers have heard from them, I'm keeping them on my list until I hear something or until this coming Monday, whichever happens first. I don't have high hopes for those spots, but ya never know. Plus someone said that Rappahannock's TD was out all last week so their presumed delay is understandable. :xf: Best of luck everyone!!!:luck::luck::luck: ...and beware the Ides of March! :p

I think (hope) some programs may be procrastinating and waiting until the last minute. For example, I applied to all 3 tracts in the Illinois School Psychology Internship Consortium. I had an interview with one. I emailed the TD of the consortium, stating that I had only heard from 1 of the 3 sites & stated I wanted to ensure that my application went to all 3 open sites. She said that my application was forwarded to all 3 sites, but that the other 2 sites had not yet contacted applicants. I sent and received that email yesterday.

So, hopefully, there are still some sites out there who will be contacting us about interviews :)

That's what I was thinking too. I mean there are sites that have hundreds of applicants and are interviewing 15 or fewer people (Wasatch, for example) and there are a few interviewees on here. If literally no SDNers have heard from them, I'm keeping them on my list until I hear something or until this coming Monday, whichever happens first. I don't have high hopes for those spots, but ya never know. Plus someone said that Rappahannock's TD was out all last week so their presumed delay is understandable. :xf: Best of luck everyone!!!:luck::luck::luck: ...and beware the Ides of March! :p

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think (hope) some programs may be procrastinating and waiting until the last minute. For example, I applied to all 3 tracts in the Illinois School Psychology Internship Consortium. I had an interview with one. I emailed the TD of the consortium, stating that I had only heard from 1 of the 3 sites & stated I wanted to ensure that my application went to all 3 open sites. She said that my application was forwarded to all 3 sites, but that the other 2 sites had not yet contacted applicants. I sent and received that email yesterday.

So, hopefully, there are still some sites out there who will be contacting us about interviews :)

Talk about waiting til the last minute...geez!

I heard from Clifford Beers today. It was a personalized email and same-day impromptu phone interview (about 20 minutes). No other news today.

Edit: Just received a rejection from Vancouver Coastal Health. The half-time position was freaking me out a little, so I'm almost relieved to get that rejection.

Last edited:
I heard from Clifford Beers today. It was a personalized email and same-day impromptu phone interview (about 20 minutes). No other news today.

Edit: Just received a rejection from Vancouver Coastal Health. The half-time position was freaking me out a little, so I'm almost relieved to get that rejection.

Congrats on the interview! A handful of us SDN'ers have been waiting to hear from that site. Did they happen to mention how many applicants they were interviewing? I am curious if maybe they are going to be notifying more people tomorrow (wishful thinking I guess)...

Congrats on the interview! A handful of us SDN'ers have been waiting to hear from that site. Did they happen to mention how many applicants they were interviewing? I am curious if maybe they are going to be notifying more people tomorrow (wishful thinking I guess)...

They didn't say, but I got the impression that they may still be contacting people. It seems like the timetable for getting contacted depends on who reviewed your file (I was contacted and interviewed by a staff psychologist, not the TD). Of course, this is just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if they contacted people tomorrow.

hey everyone,

it seems like so many sites still have not given out interviews or rejections yet. i wonder how long they are going to make us wait!! i am getting so nervous. i feel like theres even more competition this time, as people are applying to 20+ sites and even sites they aren't really interested in. lol
this whole thing is so stressful. anyways, i have a couple questions for everyone.

1. for those who have had phone interviews, how did they go? (ex: how long were they and what types of questions did they ask?)
2. has anyone heard from harvard, uwash, uc riverside, synchrony of visalia, imces, tarzana, anka behavioral health, portia bell hume, new mexico state?

good luck to everyone! :)

hey everyone,

it seems like so many sites still have not given out interviews or rejections yet. i wonder how long they are going to make us wait!! i am getting so nervous. i feel like theres even more competition this time, as people are applying to 20+ sites and even sites they aren't really interested in. lol
this whole thing is so stressful. anyways, i have a couple questions for everyone.

1. for those who have had phone interviews, how did they go? (ex: how long were they and what types of questions did they ask?)
2. has anyone heard from harvard, uwash, uc riverside, synchrony of visalia, imces, tarzana, anka behavioral health, portia bell hume, new mexico state?

Unfortunately, sites aren't required to send rejections.

Hi there!

-I've had 2 phone interviews so far. One was about 45 minutes (with 3 people) and one was about 25 minutes (with one person). They asked the usual/expected questions (Tell us about a case exemplifying your theoretical orientation. What are your goals for internship? How do you handle stress? Strengths/weaknesses.) I find phone interviews much more difficult, personally, because there is simply no visual cue. You have no idea if they are engaged, if they are annoyed that your answer is too long, and just generally if what you are saying is being received well, etc. I'm not a fan. :thumbdown: I'm sure others are better at this than I am, though.

-From what I understand, no one has heard from IMCES or Tarzana. Harvard already sent out their interview offers - not sure about the others.

Best of luck!

Here's hoping we all hear good news tomorrow! :xf:

hey everyone,

I've also had two phone interviews so far, both of them were about 30 minutes and with one person (one of the sites is doing a follow-up interview with another faculty member today). Both seemed to really want to tell me about the program/answer questions more than ask questions. I did get some of the standard (why are you interested, tell me about your clinical experiences, ethical question) as well though.

Hope that helps a bit!

Figured I'd post since I know a few of us are waiting on this site

email invite (not personalized) for phone interview tomorrow and skype interview on Friday

*hopefully lots of good news for us today!

hey everyone,

Hi- Just to add to what others mentioned about the phone interviews... I've had 3 so far. They've ranged in length between less than 5 minutes (yes you read that correctly!), one was about 40 minutes and one was a little bit over an hour.

Not sure about the other sites, but I still haven't heard anything from Synchrony of Visalia, IMCES, or UC Riverside.

Edit: I believe others have heard from Harvard and UWash (I didn't apply to either but have seen posts about those sites on SDN)

email invite (not personalized) for phone interview tomorrow and skype interview on Friday

I'm just curious based on whether that was this morning that you got the invite. I didn't apply there (or didn't expect to get an interview since I'm not a child person) but I am curious since there are sites nobody on SDN has heard back from but Greg Keilin said yesterday that basically if you haven't heard back from a site yet that it is a rejection.

Thanks for the info! And congrats/good luck on the phone/Skype interviews.

Wow- congrats on that interview!

Just out of curiosity, is it mandated that sites who have unfilled slots participate in Phase II? Or can those sites opt out if they prefer to have the slot go unfilled?

I ask because I wonder if some may prefer to go unfilled than actually fill that slot... some of these openings are really, really circumscribed (e.g., the research track slot at Brown), and I could see faculty being particularly choosy about who to interview and how many to interview. Although that wouldn't completely explain the slower pace of interviews in Phase II, it might provide a bit of context?

The sites can definitely opt to go unfilled. First, (using Brown as an example), I would guess that being very picky led to those positions not being filled in the first place. They posted on late breaking news that they were choosing to go unfilled initially (which they don't HAVE to do if they decide not to fill the spot after reviewing applications). They then recanted that for one of the positions. None of us have heard from them regarding an interview, so it is my suspicion that they decided on a specific person (with some behind the scenes networking going on) and then had to re-open the position for everybody in order to be allowed to fill it. While it's possible they reviewed all the applications and offered some interviews, that is a big expense of time and energy that I am guessing they didn't want to expend (why they closed the positions in the first place). But this is completely speculation on my part. I think having all this time not hearing back from sites kind of gives my imagination too much time to run wild.

But it doesn't seem like this is the case for most sites.

hey everyone,

I think somebody posted that Harvard had made interview requests. U Wash did too. I don't know about the other ones. Good luck.

FYI Clifford Beers is still very much in the game for those waiting to hear from them. Someone heard from them yesterday and had a same-day interview - I just now got a personalized e-mail from them offering to set up an interview sometime this week.

I'm just curious based on whether that was this morning that you got the invite. I didn't apply there (or didn't expect to get an interview since I'm not a child person) but I am curious since there are sites nobody on SDN has heard back from but Greg Keilin said yesterday that basically if you haven't heard back from a site yet that it is a rejection.

Thanks for the info! And congrats/good luck on the phone/Skype interviews.

yep it was today. Definitely happy but surprised to still be hearing positively from sites!

The sites can definitely opt to go unfilled. First, (using Brown as an example), I would guess that being very picky led to those positions not being filled in the first place. They posted on late breaking news that they were choosing to go unfilled initially (which they don't HAVE to do if they decide not to fill the spot after reviewing applications). They then recanted that for one of the positions. None of us have heard from them regarding an interview, so it is my suspicion that they decided on a specific person (with some behind the scenes networking going on) and then had to re-open the position for everybody in order to be allowed to fill it. While it's possible they reviewed all the applications and offered some interviews, that is a big expense of time and energy that I am guessing they didn't want to expend (why they closed the positions in the first place). But this is completely speculation on my part. I think having all this time not hearing back from sites kind of gives my imagination too much time to run wild.

But it doesn't seem like this is the case for most sites.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see if the above becomes more of an issue in the coming years. I think Phase II as it was proposed is a large improvement over the Clearing House setup, though there are definitely some new issues to consider.

FYI- University of the Pacific and Institute for Child and Family Health sent out their rejections via email. I appreciate that so much more than sitting around wondering!

Got the short, swift, and not so sweet rejection from Institute for Child & Family Services myself. :(

FYI- University of the Pacific and Institute for Child and Family Health sent out their rejections via email. I appreciate that so much more than sitting around wondering!

Hi, I figured I'd quit lurking and finally post before Phase II came to an end. Just got my rejection from Institute for Child and Family Health too. Thanks to everyone who posts interviews, as it has really helped me keep track of most of my sites since they aren't required to officially reject us.

I've got to say, I thought Phase II was a great idea initially. However, now that this process has been drawn out for another month, I'm starting to think this is way more depressing. Rather than getting everything over and done with quickly with Clearinghouse, I feel we didn't really have time to process not matching because we had to keep our hopes and drive up for the quick turn-around for applications. Particularly because I still have no interviews, I feel like my hopes are going to be dashed not once but twice and I'm going to turn all Debbie Downer on everyone. I can't wait for this limbo phase to be over so I can start putting my plans for next year into motion, so maybe having no interviews will be better so I know on the 21st instead of waiting until the 28th.

That said, has anyone heard from Oklahoma Health Consortium, Metropolitan State College of Denver, or U of Rochester PRIDE track? I think the rest of my sites are either accounted for or already have inquiries.

Hi, I figured I'd quit lurking and finally post before Phase II came to an end. Just got my rejection from Institute for Child and Family Health too. Thanks to everyone who posts interviews, as it has really helped me keep track of most of my sites since they aren't required to officially reject us.

I've got to say, I thought Phase II was a great idea initially. However, now that this process has been drawn out for another month, I'm starting to think this is way more depressing. Rather than getting everything over and done with quickly with Clearinghouse, I feel we didn't really have time to process not matching because we had to keep our hopes and drive up for the quick turn-around for applications. Particularly because I still have no interviews, I feel like my hopes are going to be dashed not once but twice and I'm going to turn all Debbie Downer on everyone. I can't wait for this limbo phase to be over so I can start putting my plans for next year into motion, so maybe having no interviews will be better so I know on the 21st instead of waiting until the 28th.

That said, has anyone heard from Oklahoma Health Consortium, Metropolitan State College of Denver, or U of Rochester PRIDE track? I think the rest of my sites are either accounted for or already have inquiries.

I'm glad you quit lurking and posted :) I am still waiting to hear from Metro State in Denver and will be sure to post if/when I hear anything.

I also got the rejection from ICFH today. Such a bummer. You know it's a bad sign when the email starts, "Dear applicant." :( That being said, I also prefer the rejection to just waiting and wondering.

And yes, I agree that while I initially thought this Phase II was a good idea, it's turned me into a nervous wreck, which is not my personality at all, and it's interfering with my life (i.e., dissertation progress, seeing patients, etc.).

I haven't heard a peep from Oklahoma Health Consortium or Metro State. Also still waiting on:
Tarzana
Gateway Foundation

I think (really really HOPE) good ol' Greg made an incorrect assumption.

I have also been lurking until today. I had an interview with U of Rochester PRIDE track last Friday (received the invite via email on 3/8). I still haven't heard from Brown and U of Washington so I am considering them no's at this point.

I'm glad you quit lurking and posted :) I am still waiting to hear from Metro State in Denver and will be sure to post if/when I hear anything.

Thanks, much appreciated!

I have also been lurking until today. I had an interview with U of Rochester PRIDE track last Friday (received the invite via email on 3/8). I still haven't heard from Brown and U of Washington so I am considering them no's at this point.

Ah, good to know about U of R, thanks. Since that makes it a likely rejection for me then, looks like another yellow highlight for my Excel site sheet. Yes, my anxiety has influenced the color coding of my internship Excel sheets.

Me too. Logically it would make sense for most sites to be done offering interviews, considering our lists are due on Monday. There just seem to be too many sites that NOBODY has heard from, which leads me to believe that there is a small chance some sites really are waiting until the last minute.

Hi all:

As we wind down this process, I haven't heard or noticed anything about any of these sites below & was just curious as to whether anyone else applied to them and/or have heard any sort of response. Thanks :)

St. James Hospital
Kane County Diagnostic Center
Institute of Multicultural Services
Saskatoon Health Center (Canada)
University of Washington Care Center (DDs center)

Me too. Logically it would make sense for most sites to be done offering interviews, considering our lists are due on Monday. There just seem to be too many sites that NOBODY has heard from, which leads me to believe that there is a small chance some sites really are waiting until the last minute.

I also got the rejection from ICFH today. Such a bummer. You know it's a bad sign when the email starts, "Dear applicant." :( That being said, I also prefer the rejection to just waiting and wondering.

And yes, I agree that while I initially thought this Phase II was a good idea, it's turned me into a nervous wreck, which is not my personality at all, and it's interfering with my life (i.e., dissertation progress, seeing patients, etc.).

I haven't heard a peep from Oklahoma Health Consortium or Metro State. Also still waiting on:
Tarzana
Gateway Foundation

I also got my rejection from ICFH today, and still waiting to hear from Miami-Dade. I also haven't heard from synchrony of visalia so hoping people will post when they do!!! Congrats to those who are getting news today, at this point I don't care if its an interview or not, I just want to know if I'm still waiting to hear from the sites!

Even though I matched, I have yet to unsubscribe from the intern-network listserve, and I have noticed that there have been quite a few messages from people who have gotten no interviews at all this time around. Dissappointing to say the least, but with the numbers, cant say im suprised. Seems like the SDNers are doing decent though. Good luck guys!

I also got my rejection from ICFH today, and still waiting to hear from Miami-Dade. I also haven't heard from synchrony of visalia so hoping people will post when they do!!! Congrats to those who are getting news today, at this point I don't care if its an interview or not, I just want to know if I'm still waiting to hear from the sites!

I am also waiting on Miami-Dade and Synchrony of Visalia so I will be sure to post if/when I hear anything.

Hi all:

As we wind down this process, I haven't heard or noticed anything about any of these sites below & was just curious as to whether anyone else applied to them and/or have heard any sort of response. Thanks :)

St. James Hospital
Kane County Diagnostic Center
Institute of Multicultural Services
Saskatoon Health Center (Canada)
University of Washington Care Center (DDs center)

Are you referring to IMCES in California? If so, I am also waiting to hear from them and will definitely post if I do :)

I also haven't heard from Miami_Dade Human Services, either.

A friend/colleague in my program placed there in Phase I. She hasn't heard a thing (letter, phone call, email, anything) from the site since she found out she matched there a few weeks back. She just sent an email out to them today. Seems they may be a bit overworked or something...........

I also haven't heard from Miami_Dade Human Services, either.

A friend/colleague in my program placed there in Phase I. She hasn't heard a thing (letter, phone call, email, anything) from the site since she found out she matched there a few weeks back. She just sent an email out to them today. Seems they may be a bit overworked or something...........

Your friend didn't hear from the TD on match day?? I thought they were obligated to make contact that day. Hmm...

Your friend didn't hear from the TD on match day?? I thought they were obligated to make contact that day. Hmm...

I don't know that they're obligated to contact you the day of the match (in fact, I think the APPIC website might suggest that students contact their future TDs if they don't hear from them by a certain time). However, I think they are required to send you an official offer letter within a week of matching.

I don't know that they're obligated to contact you the day of the match (in fact, I think the APPIC website might suggest that students contact their future TDs if they don't hear from them by a certain time). However, I think they are required to send you an official offer letter within a week of matching.

Yes, the call is optional, although highly, highly encouraged. The letter is indeed mandatory. It is suppose to be sent within 2 weeks of match, I think. I recieved mine on the Frday following match day...so one week later. If you haven't at least heard from your internship site in some form, that is kind of concerning.

Yes, the call is optional, although highly, highly encouraged. The letter is indeed mandatory. It is suppose to be sent within 2 weeks of match, I think. I recieved mine on the Frday following match day...so one week later. If you haven't at least heard from your internship site in some form, that is kind of concerning.

I just double-checked for my own edification, and you're very right on the two weeks bit (per APPIC: "If you don’t receive this agreement within two weeks of the applicable Match Day, please contact your new internship Training Director to inquire about its status").

I definitely agree that if an applicant hasn't yet heard anything from the site at which they've matched, they should contact the TD ASAP.