2011 COMLEX Level I Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread like this for those of us taking the beast this year so I thought I'd make one. When's everyone taking it? I'm taking it May 24th so I now have just over 60 days until I take it.

What materials are being used? I'm using FA, Goljan, BRS Phys, and Savarese along w/ Kaplan COMLEX and USMLE Qbanks (provided by school), USMLEWorld, and COMBANK.

Anyone taking USMLE too? I'm undecided since I'm military. I'll see where I'm at in a month and I can schedule it then.

Members don't see this ad.

Today marks 4 wks from my test date & no scores yet. From what I've heard, they will likely release scores on a Friday 4-6wks post-test after 5pm (so you can't call and whine if you couldn't get to yours for some reason). Here's to hoping for something soon!!

Today marks 4 wks from my test date & no scores yet. From what I've heard, they will likely release scores on a Friday 4-6wks post-test after 5pm (so you can't call and whine if you couldn't get to yours for some reason). Here's to hoping for something soon!!

2 wks for me and I've been anxious like hell. Hope this waiting will be over soon.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, man! I sure hope a whole, single block wasn't experimental because I felt my random, off-the-wall questions were scattered in 3 blocks or so. It is frustrating to have "experimental" questions when we've all worked so hard to be tested fairly. You leave and wonder, "Did I miss something the last 2 years??" Overall, though, there were several easy questions, so I guess that helps [my confidence, anyways]. Well, thanks for your thoughts! I'm glad I'm not hearing rumors entirely! Good luck to you!

Has anyone actually gotten scores since the April 12th date they have up on the NBOME website?

If you look at available dates for comlex step 1, actually nobody took the test from april 12 till may 24. So I guess they will start posting scores for people who took after may 24 soon. They promised 4 to 6 weeks.

Well, I just took it today and I gotta say that I'm pretty doomed. The test was like a personalized hell. It was so utterly front loaded on immuno, neuro, and split GI/resp, all subjects I wanted the least. There was little to no cardio or renal and everything else was sparse or manageable. OMM took a huge chunk of my test and possibly kept me from failing this stupid thing, but other than that, I was shot dead in terms of morale.

I echo other sentiments that there were constant repeats of questions, just asked in different ways. I couldn't tell you how many times I swore I answered this occlusion question, but here it was again but slightly different. I probably missed one due to my brain imploding. Sadly, many of the recommendations and M/Cs on this thread I didn't see. Micro was reasonable and pathetically easy, and repro was stunted as well. I got no OCPs, anti-neoplastics, or anti-arrhythmics; pharm was fairly downplayed overall.

What I was a little surprised to see how musculoskeletal was asked. They were mostly injuries using OMM terms and asking for vascular or neural deficiencies. Lots of dermatomes too; know those for upper and lower. I also got a strangely large number of questions related to edema as well. Everything that could've been asked about edema, I swear I got. It spread across all subjects, so you'll just have to roll with it.

Again, like others have said, it is a total crapshoot/luck of the draw. If you get blessed with subjects you're strong with, you'll coast, but if you're like me and got shot directly in my Achilles heel, then do the best you can with what you got :(

anybody know the posterior chapman points for middle ear/retina and nasal sinuses? thanks!:)

Wow that was a dumb test. I don't think I could have prepared for it any differently than USMLE prep + Savarese because it was almost all out of left field. So, much, randomness. I think those Repro questions snuck in from step II...there were some ridiculously hard OB/GYN q's. I was shaking my head the whole time at how poorly worded and vague the questions were, I think my dog could have written better questions. Whatever..I'm not going to think about it because apparently it takes a millennium to get scores back anyway.

All that being said I think it went OK. Good luck to those taking it still..it's not a beast by any means, it's just frustrating.

Yeah, after drowning my sorrows for a bit and chatting it up with other classmates who have taken it, I might've overreacted a bit, but it was way worse than I expected. Many of the subjects I was strong on didn't show up beyond a question here or there; the ones that did were among the worst written. So many questions had "What else would be seen in this patient" or "What else is true about this case" and the answers were all terrible.

It's far from impossible, but it saddens me that not even another month could've prepared me for the things I saw.

I felt the same way. Walking out of the test I thought I would be happy to be done, but there were so many questions out of left field, I actually felt horrible. I was with a couple other people from my school and they said they felt the same way. I had been scoring in the 500s on COMSAEs and only marking a couple to go back to but I ended up marking something like 40% of the questions on the real thing.

Glad you two felt the same way. I felt robbed in terms of how this test represented my general knowledge and work these past two months.

I too was shocked at some of the Step 2 like questions, such as what test do you do next or what is the next step in the work up of this patient. Along with the abysmal ethics questions, it was like they wanted us to read their minds. I can't even think of where to find the right answer to a lot of those questions.

The micro and pharm were very reasonable on my test and much less than I expected, but it seems that classmates I talked to the night before got the frontloaded micro, repro, and pharm just like others in the thread have been saying. It's all random unfortunately.

I can tell you that two of my classmates took the one yesterday too and felt like trash afterwords. Both are top 10% of our class easily and said it was some of the hardest questions theyd had from the banks. So dont get too down. Sounds like it's going to be one heck of a curve.
:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad you two felt the same way. I felt robbed in terms of how this test represented my general knowledge and work these past two months.

I too was shocked at some of the Step 2 like questions, such as what test do you do next or what is the next step in the work up of this patient. Along with the abysmal ethics questions, it was like they wanted us to read their minds. I can't even think of where to find the right answer to a lot of those questions.

The micro and pharm were very reasonable on my test and much less than I expected, but it seems that classmates I talked to the night before got the frontloaded micro, repro, and pharm just like others in the thread have been saying. It's all random unfortunately.

The randomness on this test is so weird. I thought my ethics qs were really easy (I didn't get many of them either) but the repro and micro were a lot tougher. Pharm didn't seem as bad. Glad to hear so many of us feel the same way.

This makes me feel better too. I took it yesterday and am still just getting over being numb. I would compare the test to the q banks in terms of difficulty like this - COMLEX>>>>>Uworld>Comsae B and C>>Combank. Of the 200 questions I answered in the morning session I am sure about probably 15 or so of them. The only consolation I have is the mean + STDEV... but even then I hope I just pass. I almost wouldn't mind taking it again as I wouldn't try so hard this time to prepare - I would simply hope for an easier version of the test.

Plus, and I don't think I'm going crazy, but did anyone else's countdown clock run very fast then pause for a long time every 5 seconds on the 5's and 0's to catch up, haha.... You guys saw that too, right? Looks like this test, in many ways, has destined me for a career in psychiatry.

Do you guys think its worth the time to go through COMSAE B open book for the questions...ie are there many repeats off of that?

Plus, and I don't think I'm going crazy, but did anyone else's countdown clock run very fast then pause for a long time every 5 seconds on the 5's and 0's to catch up, haha.... You guys saw that too, right? Looks like this test, in many ways, has destined me for a career in psychiatry.

Yes!!! I got really weirded out by this.

Sounds like this curve will be something else. Good job NBOME. Your test is a joke.

Well, I am glad that I am done.

My test was odd (like most of the people on here) and there were terms on it I had never seen before. there were some immuno tests that I have not seen ever before, which seemed like something the usmle would pull, not the comlex. the OMT questions were fairly reasonable but very heavy on dermatomes, which I did not anticipate.

but here's a rundown of my test:
OMT
mitral valve prolapse
micro
ob/gyn
OMT
mitral valve prolapse
ob/gyn
BPH
ob/gyn
micro
OMT
micro
.....you get the idea :laugh:

at points I was thinking "I'm sorry, am I taking an ob/gyn in-service exam?" but most of the repro questions were manageable. I hate the linked questions because many of them depended on getting the first one right. several of the questions were written poorly enough that multiple answers seemed right which was frustrating.

my computer kept taking these reallllllllllllly llooooooooooong pauses between questions and blocks and it kept freaking me out.

overall, not great, not terrible, and I'm glad I didn't spend more than two days going over OMT. it is very nice to be able to move on with my life (or at least until I get my scores back).

I also noted the long pauses and the stuttering between blocks and breaks. I swear that you roll a block every time you finish one, thus each block being its own independent entity. This might explain why I kept getting lateral medulla questions.

Honestly, passing this would be miraculous. It's hard to enjoy these few days of vacation knowing how bad it was, but I'm glad I'm not alone. Thanks for the com misery everyone :oops:

I also noted the long pauses and the stuttering between blocks and breaks. I swear that you roll a block every time you finish one, thus each block being its own independent entity. This might explain why I kept getting lateral medulla questions

I got 6 on actinomyces, and 6 on mitral stenosis. Didnt realize that those were important osteopathic principles to focus on. This happened with a few other things too. I had to roll my eyes at how little variety there was.

Do any of you know how the COMLEX is scored. I was reading a little about this Angoff method from the NBOMEs website. It doesn't sound like there is a curve based on this method. Any thoughts? I also just took the COMLEX, and it was absolutely the most random test I think I've ever taken. I took COMSAE C and made 680, made 80% on Kaplan diagnostic our school offered, and 85% COMBANK. I walked out of the exam hoping I passed. This is utterly ridiculous. Is there anything that can be done about this nonsense? Seriously. I talked to some of the lower performing students in my class as far as grades and diagnostic exams...they took the test about 2 weeks ago and said there test was easy. I took mine and thought it was very difficult. I guess it's just luck of the draw with what test you get. They said there test was mostly cardio. I barely remember 5 cardio questions on my entire exam. I also had maybe 6 pharm questions! Are you kidding me NBOME! All the kids that were supposed to do bad did good, and all the kids that were supposed to do good did bad! This hardly seems fair. Does the NBOME look at COMSAE? Do they know how people were supposed to perform based on their predictive test? I wonder if they use that in their analysis at all. I'm a little upset about this exam still, I was going into it knowing I was going to do well. The only thing I felt prepared for was the OPP portion. At least that was fair. Can't say the same for the rest.

You may be in a better position than you think. I've noticed that a lot of weaker students seemed to think the test was "easy", while many stronger students have felt it was pretty nasty. The weaker people may not know what they don't know. Furthermore, their tolerance for getting qs wrong may be higher than ours. If, for instance, you were only going through COMBANK averaging in the high 60s (and you only care about passing), a test whose difficulty allows you to put in a similar performance may seem relatively easy to you..

You may be in a better position than you think. I've noticed that a lot of weaker students seemed to think the test was "easy", while many stronger students have felt it was pretty nasty. The weaker people may not know what they don't know. Furthermore, their tolerance for getting qs wrong may be higher than ours. If, for instance, you were only going through COMBANK averaging in the high 60s (and you only care about passing), a test whose difficulty allows you to put in a similar performance may seem relatively easy to you..

I think this reasoning is anecdotal at best. Me and many of my classmates are very strong students and thought the test wasn't "nasty" as you put it. I have seen the opposite of what you are describing. The weaker students I know seem to think the test was harder. Now I'm not saying that every student who thought the test was hard was weak. I think the best predictor is based on how many practice questions you did. I did Kaplan and COMBANK plus two COMSAEs so I felt prepared for the test. I thought the test wasn't too bad and I was averaging in the mid to high 70's on COMBANK and scored well on diagnostic tests. Hopefully I'll find out this week how I did.

One thing I have noticed is those of us who took the test early (late May-first week of June) thought the test wasn't too bad but those who are taking the test now thought the test was very tough. Not sure if that's a coincidence or if the test is designed that way. I think the only real reliable reasoning is that you can't figure out how the COMLEX is scored or curved. Everyone has their opinions but who knows if any of us are right. There is no correlation between the qbanks/COMSAE and the COMLEX available like their is for the USMLE. The closest thing we get is that 62.5% right on COMBANK gives you a 90% probability of passing (or whatever it is). That's pathetic for us trying to figure out where we stand. It's even worse when the COMSAE says it's not designed to give you a score but tell you where you are strong and weak.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the COMSAE chart at the end is pretty useless. Taking the COMSAE to me was more to get used to the format and style in the best way possible.

I also think that how people felt about the test is variable, not to mention what you literally got on the exam. For example, my exam had little to no cardio and was completely void of renal (pharm included). There's really no consistency or predictability.

Took it today.

In order of most covered to least

Pharm for every subject
Repro
Micro (Bacteriology mostly)=OPP
MSK=Neuro=Endo
Anatomy
Cardio (EKGs)
Psych=Biochem=Renal
Don't remember any Immuno, or I blatantly skipped over it because I was exhausted.

I agree with Bleeker... its possible that NBOME adjusts difficulty level to reflect amount of time available for preparation. It's a random postulate, but you never know.. The COMLEX feels like a crap shoot in every sense of the word

Took it today.

In order of most covered to least

Pharm for every subject
Repro
Micro (Bacteriology mostly)=OPP
MSK=Neuro=Endo
Anatomy
Cardio (EKGs)
Psych=Biochem=Renal
Don't remember any Immuno, or I blatantly skipped over it because I was exhausted.

God, I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.

WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??

God, I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.

WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??WHERE'S MY SCORE??

Just wait until you're in that 4-6 week post-test window when scores are due to be released and you're compulsively checking the nbome website at least 3 times a day.

Just wait until you're in that 4-6 week post-test window when scores are due to be released and you're compulsively checking the nbome website at least 3 times a day.

It has been 3 wks for me. When do you guys think it will be released?:xf:

Hey guys..I have mine on July 2nd at 12...

I have done DIT, then read FA, did the green book yesterday...plan is to finish the tests in the back...

The days I have left..3-4 what should i do?

Should I read the HY DIT book and read the Micro,Pharm sections in FA again?
or
Do COMBANK questions all of them? I did do 900 but dont remember...lol

What do you guys think? Thanks again.

Hey guys..I have mine on July 2nd at 12...

I have done DIT, then read FA, did the green book yesterday...plan is to finish the tests in the back...

The days I have left..3-4 what should i do?

Should I read the HY DIT book and read the Micro,Pharm sections in FA again?
or
Do COMBANK questions all of them? I did do 900 but dont remember...lol

What do you guys think? Thanks again.

If you want to feel more comfortable..I would honestly hit OB/GYN really hard. The reproductive stuff on the test keeps coming up, and it is pretty in depth. I certainly had some really tricky ones. Re-skimming Savarese might not be a bad idea as well, that was really high yield. Most importantly make sure to get enough rest, it is a long exam!

GL!

If you want to feel more comfortable..I would honestly hit OB/GYN really hard. The reproductive stuff on the test keeps coming up, and it is pretty in depth. I certainly had some really tricky ones. Re-skimming Savarese might not be a bad idea as well, that was really high yield. Most importantly make sure to get enough rest, it is a long exam!

GL!

What would be a good source for OB/GYN??? is FA good?

Hey guys,

So I have 3 weeks before the big day (July 20th) and I was wondering which qbank I should continue with, considering how random this test seems to be as the late June test takers have said on here. I am halfway through UW but have only done about 200 ?s in combank so far. I guess my question is do you think it's worth finishing UW and then combank or should I mostly focus on combank alone? I'm confused bc I've heard mixed things. Some have said doing UW should more than prepare you for combank and ultimately comlex, whereas others have said doing too many UW style questions is what hurt them. So far combank seems way easier compared to UW so I was planning on just saving that for the week before. To the late June test takers, in retrospect what would you have done differently, if anything?

Thanks!

I think the general consensus on here is that FA was certainly not good enough for repro. Apparently the obgyn questions were much more in depth and clinical with emphasis on contraceptives and obgyn associations with other systems. I was thinking of skimming through some sections in these links:

http://www.merckmedicus.com/pp/us/h...k.com/mrkshared/mmanual_home2/sec22/sec22.jsp

http://www.uptodate.com/home/clinicians/toc.do?tocKey=table_of_contents/19

Obviously reading every word would be overkill (or maybe not it seems haha) but just briefly reading over certain sections to get an idea couldn't hurt I suppose, esp since these are legitimate resources. Hope it helps!

It has been 3 wks for me. When do you guys think it will be released?:xf:

Well tomorrow will be 5 weeks since I took my test and I haven't heard anything. The only ray of hope I have for getting my score this week is that level 2 CE scores up until May 19th have been released so maybe mine will be released this week. It would be super helpful if I even knew what day of the week scores are released so I can stop checking 5 times a day. Do we even get an email saying scores are released?

With just a few days left I wouldn't go too crazy and neglect every other subject. I would, however, read up on some genito-urinary pathology. FA is definitely a good place to start, so don't simply neglect that resource. If you have Goljan rapid review I would recommend going through the female reproductive chapter, that won't take an exorbitant amount of time but will be very high yield. Borrow it if you don't have it. I wish I would have been more familiar with that chapter going into the exam.

Hey guys,

So I have 3 weeks before the big day (July 20th) and I was wondering which qbank I should continue with, considering how random this test seems to be as the late June test takers have said on here. I am halfway through UW but have only done about 200 ?s in combank so far. I guess my question is do you think it's worth finishing UW and then combank or should I mostly focus on combank alone? I'm confused bc I've heard mixed things. Some have said doing UW should more than prepare you for combank and ultimately comlex, whereas others have said doing too many UW style questions is what hurt them. So far combank seems way easier compared to UW so I was planning on just saving that for the week before. To the late June test takers, in retrospect what would you have done differently, if anything?

Thanks!

I would hit both really hard :D. Honestly though, I don't think UWorld can hurt you. It tests very relevant concepts and you will come out of each block having learned a lot when you read the explanations. COMBANK has content that is extremely relevant to the comlex, so I would finish that if you can. Definitely finish the OMM content. Those go a lot faster than UWorld though, so you shouldn't have a problem finishing that qbank.

Just figure out how many q's you need to do per day to finish combank and do a healthy amount of UWorld and stick to a schedule. That worked well for me.

Good luck!!

So, I've been skimming the threads and can't seem to find it. Has anyone heard when the next batch of scores is released? I know USMLE is July 13, but I can't find anything for COMLEX 1.

Thanks

Edit....lookie there...same question two replies above mine :) Suppose I'll keep watching...

It would be super helpful if I even knew what day of the week scores are released so I can stop checking 5 times a day. Do we even get an email saying scores are released?

I've heard that they will typically release on a Friday afternoon around the time their office closes. Based on the info on the website, it sounds like we won't get an email, that they'll just appear and we'll let a snail mailed score report a few days later.

From the NBOME site:
"Candidates can expect to receive test results within 4-6 weeks after the examination is taken. Score reports for computer-based COMLEX-USA examinations will be mailed to your address within 5 business days after the score is released. Your score will also be available on your online account immediately after it is released. "

I'd LOVE to get them this Friday! Guess we can just hope for the best!

I've heard that they will typically release on a Friday afternoon around the time their office closes. Based on the info on the website, it sounds like we won't get an email, that they'll just appear and we'll let a snail mailed score report a few days later.

From the NBOME site:
"Candidates can expect to receive test results within 4-6 weeks after the examination is taken. Score reports for computer-based COMLEX-USA examinations will be mailed to your address within 5 business days after the score is released. Your score will also be available on your online account immediately after it is released. "

I'd LOVE to get them this Friday! Guess we can just hope for the best!

I agree with someone above. NBOME should tell us what date the score will be released like NBME so that we don't have to check 10 times a day. I know mine is still too soon but since I don't know exactly when so I've been checking like crazy.:eek::confused::scared:

overall, i was very very very very disappointed by the comlex. i'll write an indepth subject by subject review later. as someone who got the easy comlex, i'm concerned that the differentials between the high and low scores will the useless facts that medical students dont really study about. i'm very disappointed that the same tired and worn down concepts - staph pyogenes, strep pneumoni- was tested ad nasuem. two years of medical education condensed to the most commonly known facts? they might as well throw out the question or give us less questions.

I think the general consensus on here is that FA was certainly not good enough for repro. Apparently the obgyn questions were much more in depth and clinical with emphasis on contraceptives and obgyn associations with other systems. I was thinking of skimming through some sections in these links:

http://www.merckmedicus.com/pp/us/h...k.com/mrkshared/mmanual_home2/sec22/sec22.jsp

http://www.uptodate.com/home/clinicians/toc.do?tocKey=table_of_contents/19

Obviously reading every word would be overkill (or maybe not it seems haha) but just briefly reading over certain sections to get an idea couldn't hurt I suppose, esp since these are legitimate resources. Hope it helps!

thanks for the website! it has some really good info and good last min prep for some conditions i wanted to look up for ob/gyn...really close to my test date so finding this site definitely saved me a lot of time trying to look things up :)

Well tomorrow will be 5 weeks since I took my test and I haven't heard anything. The only ray of hope I have for getting my score this week is that level 2 CE scores up until May 19th have been released so maybe mine will be released this week. It would be super helpful if I even knew what day of the week scores are released so I can stop checking 5 times a day. Do we even get an email saying scores are released?

Yeah, this is absolute torture waiting for scores. 6 weeks?? What an incredibly stupid long time for a score on a nationalized exam!

To make matters worse, USMLE has the same idiotic wait time...

Yeah, this is absolute torture waiting for scores. 6 weeks?? What an incredibly stupid long time for a score on a nationalized exam!

Yea but at least there's logic to why the NBME is waiting to release the scores

At least USMLE gives a promising time July 13.

And they release on Wednesdays, and it usually only takes 3-4 weeks.

Lets keep the COMLEX bashing going, lol

It's been over 4 weeks already for me. Maybe tomorrow?

*** Has anyone taking it on May 24-27 gotten scores yet? ***

edit: nevermind, i thought that post was about comlex... so 6 weeks is the general consensus on wait time? hell if i had something better to do i'm sure i wouldn't mind as much but sadly i'm on "vacation"

Last edited:
I took the test yesterday, and I've started to torture myself after looking up a bunch of questions I wasn't sure about and finding out I got a lot of them wrong. I feel like I missed too many questions I probably should've gotten right based on how many times I passed through FA. Has anyone else done this?

I took the test yesterday, and I've started to torture myself after looking up a bunch of questions I wasn't sure about and finding out I got a lot of them wrong. I feel like I missed too many questions I probably should've gotten right based on how many times I passed through FA. Has anyone else done this?

After comlex I did not feel compelled to look up answers... I don't know why..

I think it may have been because many of the ones I did not know were because I did not even know what they were asking, not because there was a deficit in my knowledge.

However, there were many chapman points I did not know (like random ones about the arm, shoulder, that we didn't even cover in my OMM class!) that I didn't even want to look up because I felt like knowing that is so useless.

I just want my score!!! /whine

This was the general consensus; many questions had such ambiguous wording or the answers were all terrible, at least to me. Although I don't ever recall seeing words I have never heard of, this also seemed to happen to other test takers. I know there was one question stating the patient had singultus AKA hiccups, which might've caught some people off guard.

Looking up answers...eh, no point but to make the wait more painful.

A good friend of mine from school took her exam on Tuesday May 24 and got her score on Tuesday June 21...exactly 4 weeks from the test date. I'm confused because it seems like some people who took their test that day have heard nothing. What does this mean?! Since she told me this, I've been thinking June 1 testers would get ours today! I didn't realize so many people haven't gotten scores yet! Whatever happens, best of luck to all. I've been reading this thread for several months and it has been most helpful. Let's keep each other updated.