2011 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelittleowl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that last year there was a thread for the waitlist blues. I thought I would get it started this year. So, just like last year, we can use this as a place to vent and find/offer support to each other as the process continues through April 15th.

Remember that it only takes one and people get in off the waitlist! Good luck to everyone!

:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

G'luck, ladies & gents! :luck:

I am well-versed with the waitlist blues. I played the application game two cycles. I won the privilege of being waitlisted at two programs my first year and at two programs my second year, so I am all too familiar with the waiting game that follows. However, it IS possible to be accepted off the waitlist. It happens more often than people think (even though I was extremely pessimistic about the whole mess at the time). I received that fated email on March 09, (I also know that my program has extended offers on the very last day possible in years past), so although it may seem late in the game right now, don't give up hope!

I know my program still has outstanding offers with its initial applicants, as I'm sure may be the case with other programs. As those folks respond to their offers, additional offers may be extended if they decline them for other programs. Again, don't give up hope, and try to keep yourselves occupied (as hard as that may be!).

G'luck to all! :luck:

G'luck, ladies & gents! :luck:

I am well-versed with the waitlist blues. I played the application game two cycles. I won the privilege of being waitlisted at two programs my first year and at two programs my second year, so I am all too familiar with the waiting game that follows. However, it IS possible to be accepted off the waitlist. It happens more often than people think (even though I was extremely pessimistic about the whole mess at the time). I received that fated email on March 09, (I also know that my program has extended offers on the very last day possible in years past), so although it may seem late in the game right now, don't give up hope!

I know my program still has outstanding offers with its initial applicants, as I'm sure may be the case with other programs. As those folks respond to their offers, additional offers may be extended if they decline them for other programs. Again, don't give up hope, and try to keep yourselves occupied (as hard as that may be!).

G'luck to all! :luck:

Thanks for the success story! This is also my second year applying. Last year I was on two waitlists as well, but they obviously didn't turn in to offers. This year, I have an offer in hand from my third choice school. I haven't heard back from my second choice post interview and I am a "very high" alternate at my top choice.

Playing the waiting game is extremely difficult to do two years in a row. I am just hoping that this year it is all worth it and I get into my first choice off the waitlist. In the mean time, I am trying to channel of this anxious energy that I have into working out and other fun stuff.

I definitely have my fingers crossed for everyone out there on a waitlist! :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the success story! This is also my second year applying. Last year I was on two waitlists as well, but they obviously didn't turn in to offers. This year, I have an offer in hand from my third choice school. I haven't heard back from my second choice post interview and I am a "very high" alternate at my top choice.

Playing the waiting game is extremely difficult to do two years in a row. I am just hoping that this year it is all worth it and I get into my first choice off the waitlist. In the mean time, I am trying to channel of this anxious energy that I have into working out and other fun stuff.

I definitely have my fingers crossed for everyone out there on a waitlist! :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Glad to hear you have at least one definite acceptance offer in hand. Like paramour, I also got in off a wait-list (essentially by having my advisor create a new spot for me, which means I caught a double-dose of luck), so it definitely does happen more than many people realize.

I started the waitlist blues tradition two years ago, and I had a happy ending. Best of luck to you all, I completely empathize.

This thread is so well-timed . . . Here's my own personal wait-list horror story. I've been "high waitlisted" at the program where I'm currently hard at work completing my master's degree, by the person who is currently my advisor and my professor in one of my classes as well. Even more fun, he's made it clear that he values me as a student and has asked me to let him know if I receive other offers so he can give me updates about the offer pending with another student. This situation is awkward for him, awkward for the other students in the lab, and downright torturous for me! What a mess. :scared:

I think just the waiting post-interview(s) is maddening. And for one school I just interviewed I don't even know if I am on the waitlist or not...just complete silence and some or all offers are out already.

I have to exhaust my brain energy on working out and watching movies. Glad that there is a film festival going on and I see two movies each day this weekend starting Friday. There are two more to go tomorrow. I just don't feel like doing anything else. Next week I should hear back from my top and second choices. :scared: I guess I am not very good at waiting.

This thread is so well-timed . . . Here's my own personal wait-list horror story. I've been "high waitlisted" at the program where I'm currently hard at work completing my master's degree, by the person who is currently my advisor and my professor in one of my classes as well. Even more fun, he's made it clear that he values me as a student and has asked me to let him know if I receive other offers so he can give me updates about the offer pending with another student. This situation is awkward for him, awkward for the other students in the lab, and downright torturous for me! What a mess. :scared:

I didn't get it. Why does he have to wait to give you updates about the offer pending with another student?

I didn't get it. Why does he have to wait to give you updates about the offer pending with another student?

Well he doesn't have to wait, precisely, and he hasn't been . . . but he wants to be able to tell me whether or not I should go for it somewhere else or whether it would be worth my while to wait on him and this other student, I think. I wasn't exactly eager to draw out that particular conversation, in all honesty. :rolleyes:

:help:

Well he doesn't have to wait, precisely, and he hasn't been . . . but he wants to be able to tell me whether or not I should go for it somewhere else or whether it would be worth my while to wait on him and this other student, I think. I wasn't exactly eager to draw out that particular conversation, in all honesty. :rolleyes:

:help:

yeah..it's pretty awkward. I have gone through something unpleasant too and feel that the process is complex and highly personal.

i empathize with all of you! i've been waitlisted at my top school.
when my POI emailed me there was nothing said about where i am at the rank. but the email was very positive and that my POI hopes to give me an offer.
does anyone know if its appropriate to ask where i am at the rank? i guess i'm just afraid that my POI sent out the same email to all the candidates that were interviewed.
gahh. waiting is so agonizing!
also, my POI said that an email will be sent out if there is a change in my status but is it appropriate to email to check on my status? i don't want to pester or look too desparate but i wonder how soon/often i could email my POI?
let's try to stay hopeful!! good luck guys!

when my POI emailed me there was nothing said about where i am at the rank. but the email was very positive and that my POI hopes to give me an offer.
does anyone know if its appropriate to ask where i am at the rank? i guess i'm just afraid that my POI sent out the same email to all the candidates that were interviewed.
also, my POI said that an email will be sent out if there is a change in my status but is it appropriate to email to check on my status? i don't want to pester or look too desparate but i wonder how soon/often i could email my POI?

If it's a mentor system I believe the POI has almost complete control over who they want to give the offer to. So I think they would hope that their "first choice" would accept their offer. Any way..i don't have an answer to your question. But good luck!

If it's a mentor system I believe the POI has almost complete control over who they want to give the offer to. So I think they would hope that their "first choice" would accept their offer. Any way..i don't have an answer to your question. But good luck!

I agree with psychdocstudent that if it's a mentor system, the POI has control over who the offer went to and that he's likely "hoping" that his 1st choice accepts. That, being said, it could be that IF said student does not accept that he "hopes" to make an offer if the 1st choice declines? The wording seems slightly off to me. But we can all hope for you! :xf:

To answer your original question, I recall contacting two of the programs I had been waitlisted on during my past application cycles. During the first application cycle, I contacted one of my two waitlists at the beginning of April (I think?) to check my status. They wished me the best of luck as they "knew that I had been accepted elsewhere" (too bad I hadn't! :mad:). And had they known that they weren't accepting me, then they could have provided me with the decency of notifying me as such (especially since most of the profs I interviewed with other than my primary POI spent the entire time attempting to talk me out of attending the program... :rolleyes:) ANYWAY...

During the second application cycle, I again contacted one of my two waitlists to check my status. This one I contacted and asked if they could at least let me know which waitlist I had been assigned to after interviews. (They had some screwy process which they used to assign "better" applicants to one waitlist and "other" applicants to a second waitlist, or something of the sort. And, yes, they actually told us this on interview day. :eek:) I actually received an extremely positive response from the DCT that left me overly optimistic for about a week or so. Aaaand then my cynicism eventually kicked in and I started questioning whether she was simply trying to be nice and she would have responded in a similar fashion to any interviewee who contacted her. Having known her for quite a few years now, however, I can nix that as most people are terrified of this lady (and were on interview day as well! :laugh:)

I would at least respond to the email thanking them for informing you of your status and your continued interest in the program if a position becomes available at minimum. You could potentially ask something along the lines of the university's history of accepting students from the waitlist (as some programs do it more than others), and/or how likely it would seem for you to be considered for acceptance if a position becomes available from your ranking on the waitlist.

G'luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's fine to ask for your rank. I wouldn't ask for updates. I know that it's killing you, but you don't want to bug them. If you do get in, they'll let you know.

I think it's fine to ask for your rank. I wouldn't ask for updates. I know that it's killing you, but you don't want to bug them. If you do get in, they'll let you know.

I agree. As high as the anxiety gets a times, I think that bugging them would be bad form and a little irritating. It is only March 6th, and we have a little over a month for all of this to come to an end.

I think, maybe if you haven't heard by April 1st then start sending out emails about where you stand. At least, that is my plan. In the mean time, I will share my anxiety about all of this waiting with my fellow waitlisters.

Cara Susanna ~ When does movement on the waitlists usually start happening? Late March? Early April?

It depends on programs' acceptance dates. I got admitted off the waitlist about 2-3 weeks after initial offers were made.

I got accepted off a waitlist around April 10th. It happens :/

Someone else posted this question, but not many responses so far...

I am curious as to when the success stories occurred? That is, for those of you that did get accepted off of the waitlist, when did you hear?

Of my top two schools (depending on the day, they switch places with each other), I've been accepted to one and waitlisted at the other. So annoying to wait!

Someone else posted this question, but not many responses so far...

I am curious as to when the success stories occurred? That is, for those of you that did get accepted off of the waitlist, when did you hear?

Of my top two schools (depending on the day, they switch places with each other), I've been accepted to one and waitlisted at the other. So annoying to wait!

I am curious also! Or, the other way around, I wonder when to call it...? I mean, this sounds so 'fatal' like pronouncing somebody dead...but, this waiting game is killing me, really! Still having all my classes, finishing up with my thesis, a week away from midterms, doing GA work, and trying to stay positive...

I have been wait-listed for second year entry at Loyola U, MD and I know that there is only one slot this year and I do not even know where I am on the list...totally in the dark...sooo, if the lucky one who got the spot, accepted and is reading THIS, please, please, step forward...would you?? Safe me...just kidding...but it would be helpful to know...not that I want to know but...I guess, that is just a prove of how difficult waiting is really, conflicted feelings all over...but I am not giving up hope - yet...so, thanks guys for all your encouragement and success stories!!

Should a thread be started indicating where applicants are accepting their acceptances? Or where they turned down admission? Might give a better waitlist picture..

Ah, this is helpful! I've been posting in the Acceptance thread, which definitely isn't fitting.

I've had 3 interviews, and have been waitlisted at two. Both professors seemed to like me a lot and said I was a strong applicant and a good fit. Yet no offers from either. :( The third interview was just this past weekend, so I guess we'll see.

Should a thread be started indicating where applicants are accepting their acceptances? Or where they turned down admission? Might give a better waitlist picture..

We can just do that on this thread instead of starting a new one. Might as well keep things all in one place. So, if anyone wants to send me PMs with places you have accepted or turned down, I will start a list like the interview thread.

I think there's already an I'll-be-going-here thread, and an acceptance thread.

We can just do that on this thread instead of starting a new one. Might as well keep things all in one place. So, if anyone wants to send me PMs with places you have accepted or turned down, I will start a list like the interview thread.

I was also wait listed at my top pick. The email said they typically admit people off the wait list, but I have no idea where I am on the list...

I was also wait listed at my top pick. The email said they typically admit people off the wait list, but I have no idea where I am on the list...

Indeed, I am not sure where I am on the list either. I got the feeling that it isn't based on a linear order at my program of interest, but rather that it is based on certain groups of people, so if someone declines from a group I am in (or perhaps overlap with) then I move into that vacated seat.

I'm wait listed at a few programs right now apparently.

I think there's already an I'll-be-going-here thread, and an acceptance thread.

Good to know! However, if people still want to PM spots that they are giving up, it might help give the waitlisters a better picture like the original poster suggested.

My frustration stems from the complete silence I have heard from the majority of the programs I have applied to.

Is this a sign of being wait listed or more a sign that I messed up something awful on those applications? (I received wait list notification from only one school, two more sent me rejections about two weeks after their interview days).

Thanks.

My frustration stems from the complete silence I have heard from the majority of the programs I have applied to.

Is this a sign of being wait listed or more a sign that I messed up something awful on those applications? (I received wait list notification from only one school, two more sent me rejections about two weeks after their interview days).

Thanks.

If you have not heard a peep by now, I would assume it is not a good sign. I have not heard anything back from two programs...after they initially notified me that my appl is complete. I take that as a rejection. Just my two cents...g'luck

Yeah not to be harsh but at this point, it's almost definitely a rejection. That's what I'm assuming with the two programs I haven't heard from, as well.

Hi everyone,

So I too am experiencing the wait list blues. Last night the POI from my first choice school called me on the phone to tell me that I am the first alternate for the program. She gave me very positive feedback about my application and interview. She also alluded to the fact that it was more a funding issue than a "me" issue, and that she would keep me updated if anything changed. I sent her an email thanking her for calling me personally. She replied saying that she was "glad that i was still interested in the program" and "hopeful the numbers would work out."

How positive do you think I should be? Is this a really good sign or is this just how the wait list game is played?

Thank you all for any feedback!

Hi everyone,

So I too am experiencing the wait list blues. Last night the POI from my first choice school called me on the phone to tell me that I am the first alternate for the program. She gave me very positive feedback about my application and interview. She also alluded to the fact that it was more a funding issue than a "me" issue, and that she would keep me updated if anything changed. I sent her an email thanking her for calling me personally. She replied saying that she was "glad that i was still interested in the program" and "hopeful the numbers would work out."

How positive do you think I should be? Is this a really good sign or is this just how the wait list game is played?

I'd feel alot more positive in your shoes than mine, knowing you are next on the waitlist is definitely nerve-wracking but alot more hopeful than not knowing at all as well as wondering how many applicants are really on this waitlist. Am I on a waitlist with 20 others or 5 others? Am I next or bottom to next? lol sorry - my frustration is seeping out. But as you can see, you should be very happy you are next in line. That means there are others below you. :cool:

I'd feel alot more positive in your shoes than mine, knowing you are next on the waitlist is definitely nerve-wracking but alot more hopeful than not knowing at all as well as wondering how many applicants are really on this waitlist. Am I on a waitlist with 20 others or 5 others? Am I next or bottom to next? lol sorry - my frustration is seeping out. But as you can see, you should be very happy you are next in line. That means there are others below you. :cool:

Yep. I agree. Your odds are pretty good. I am wait-listed too without knowing where I am on the list...feels like walking in the dark

Waitlisted at my #1 and #2, and alternate at #3. No other offers. Can't sleep! URGGGG!

so glad there's others with me waiting on waitlists to move. I feel like if I got an acceptance right now, I would have an answer immediately- what are you people with acceptances doing right now?- make a decision!!!- I'm totally joking by the way, I respect your right to wait- I'm just venting

so glad there's others with me waiting on waitlists to move. I feel like if I got an acceptance right now, I would have an answer immediately- what are you people with acceptances doing right now?- make a decision!!!- I'm totally joking by the way, I respect your right to wait- I'm just venting

YES!!! And the sad part is is that they have until April 15th to decide. That's another month of no sleep.

Thank you for starting this thread!!

I thought I would share my story, which is nearly identical to StudentBsMs11's... I am "high wait listed" at the school I currently attend where I am workin' hard on my masters degree. I still work closely with my POI in the lab and it is really tricky. I have been told that it was more of a "logistical" issue where my POI was not able to select a student but had wanted to rather than something personal. Frustrating none the less! :scared::confused::scared:

I am an alternate at my 3rd choice and have not heard from my second choice but am thinking no news might be bad news. Hang in there everyone, things will work out for the best!!

Last edited:
Totally loved someone created this thread. I'm feeling like the waitlist queen now, being high on four waitlists post-interview. Hopefully everyone on here has some good fortune and a spot opens up!

I too have been feeling like the wait list queen (4). I am next in line for an offer at my top school. It is such a great program that I cannot imagine anyone would decline the offer. But there is always hope. Someone even declined an offer from UCLA last year. There is always hope... :)

Best of luck everyone!!

I just heard from the last school on my list. I am on a total of five waitlists and have no acceptances. I also have no idea where I am on any of these lists. Despite my mentors assuring me that I will probably get in somewhere, I am starting to work on plan B (applying for full-time RA positions). This whole process is torturous. It will be a long month...

Just found out that I've been waitlisted at Widener. The letter says to contact them if I've not heard back from them by AUGUST...doesn't that seem a little bit late?!

Just found out that I've been waitlisted at Widener. The letter says to contact them if I've not heard back from them by AUGUST...doesn't that seem a little bit late?!

That is really inconsiderate of them. I interviewed there, was not impressed, and never heard a word from them.

Hi everyone,

It depends. I was "next in line" at a few different places during two cycles. I was only accepted at one of them (thankfully!). Try to be optimistic and hope for the best.

G'luck! :luck:

Good Buddha almighty! :eek: That seems a bit late and more than a bit inconsiderate!

Of course, I do seem to recall not receiving rejection letters from some programs until August for some reason... I think I figured it out by that point. :rolleyes:

That is really inconsiderate of them. I interviewed there, was not impressed, and never heard a word from them.

Yep. I agree. That is very inconsiderate. I have been wait-listed at one school and given a time frame until May 1st and found that was sort of long, since it is after the magic April 15th...

I started applying to Widener but when I was about to submit my four essays I realized that the sum of all four cannot exceed 1000 characters even though the number was written above the space for the first essay...very confusing. Cannot write my autobiography in an essay fourth of 1000 characters....AND this is supposed to be a psycho-dynamically oriented program...

also, they said they never received my appl fee even though I tried to submit it and the system told me it is waived fro all submitting before Jan 1st...only to hear from them something like 'this cannot be'...

bummer. Was my first choice before all this trouble...glad I never applied.

I just heard from the last school on my list. I am on a total of five waitlists and have no acceptances. I also have no idea where I am on any of these lists. Despite my mentors assuring me that I will probably get in somewhere, I am starting to work on plan B (applying for full-time RA positions). This whole process is torturous. It will be a long month...

I think that is definitely the worst part of the Waitlist Experience -- you're stuck in limbo after having completed X amount of applications and Y amount of interviews.... only to start all over again for an RA position!

It's frustrating to say the least, and my experience has me on an emotional roller coaster as I try not to lose hope.

Good luck to all of us! :luck: