* * 2012-2013 Letter of Recommendation Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They won't even look at the extras. 3-4 max.

Members don't see this ad.

I had 8 total (including committee letter) and it didn't hold me back. If you know they are all very strong I'd say go for it! In fact the letters were referenced in two of my interviews as being very strong and my interviewers brought up comments made by my letter writers. I would definitely send all of them. Some schools allow you to "designate" the most important physician letter and most important prof letter for example.

I had 7, but I only sent 4-6 to each school. Some of them explicitly say NOT to send more than 4, but for the most part they didn't seem to care/mind. Honestly if you feel each letter demonstrates different valuable skills/characteristics that you possess, send them all, but if some just repeat each other, there's no point. I doubt an Adcom will say, "oh he sent 6 letters instead of 4, we shouldn't interview him."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I really need to spruce up the LOR request letter to remind him just in case. I think he knows me pretty well. Sometimes when we discuss things, it goes far beyond school-related things. We are both Chinese and during the Lunar New Year, we spent half an hour giving suggestions to one another about nearby places to have dinner with friends and family lol

You definitely need to include a lot of info about yourself to make sure he remembers you. As far as getting an LOR from a professor that long ago, as long as he remembers you and it will be a good/great LOR, its good. If you think you will get a better LOR from someone more recent, obviously ask them, but it doesn't really matter how long ago it was, just whether or not it will be a strong letter.

I sent 6 and it was never mentioned. I got in where I interviewed and was offered interviews everywhere I applied so I definitely don't think it can hurt you. If they don't want to read that many then they just won't read it. It won't hurt, but if they're great letters they can only help.

Let's put it this way: if you don't ask him, then your chances of getting a LOR from him are exactly ZERO.

I have a non-science professor in mind I want to ask for a LOR. However, I haven't contacted him since I graduated 1.5 yrs ago because I moved home and started traveling. Should I even pursue this professor after all this time even if we got a long quite well while taking three classes with him? A personal reference letter is a given, of course. It would be a shame if I couldn't because he was awesome.

I read all of my interviewees LORs. You're fine.

Dear sdn,

I think I have 6 very strong LORs. Yes, I know it is a bit excessive and I will indeed end up taking out at least 2 of them. But my question is if I do send all 6 to schools, will they still look at all of them? The school sites don't specifically say if there's a maximum number which is why I was interested in what you guys thought. Thanks!!

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that I realize there would be no advantages, but what about disadvantages?

It all depends on the relationship you had with him throughout your undergrad experience. I have a professor now that I now I could approach at any time to write me a letter because of the relationship we have developed. Like a previous reply-er mentioned, if he recognizes you, go for it.

Good stuff. Thanks, everyone. I'll ask for it when we wrap up shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the prof feels comfortable writing you a very supportive letter, I think that shows you made a good enough impression that it's worthwhile.

I've read quite a few MDApps profiles that have sent more than the required amount of LORs.

It makes me a little worried because I don't think I'll ever have 6+ people to write "excellent" letters for me. Do you think that this is going to become the "norm", sending in as many letters as possible (within reason) just for the sake of keeping up with other applicants?

It kind of reminds me of volunteer hours. Schools don't always require a minimum amount, but in reality we're being compared to people who have thousands of volunteer hours.

I would give it a shot and at least ask.

I actually asked a couple professors who I was almost certain wouldn't remember me personally but it probably wasn't quite the same situation... I was out of UG and I needed those letters to have "boxes checked".

I asked to get lunch with one of my upper level bio professors that I had not seen in 2 years and then asked her there. Granted, I am sure the letter was weak and short, it didn't hurt to have it since schools want specific types of letters.

I asked for the letter when I was done shadowing/two months out from applying. I gave my DO letter writer a packet that I made in case he wanted to look over it before writing a letter.

It included:
-My resume(had professionals job before ,during, and after my MBA and undergrad)
-My stats broken down into MCAT,GPA, and SGPA
-My personal statement

I handed it to him in a folder with instructions for the interfolio letter and a brief memo thanking him for his time and some other stuff.

Overall it worked out for me- might be a bit overkill for some but I would rather them know my app a little better in hopes that they might write a better letter on my behalf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar

I've been shadowing a DO once a week for the past two months. Really enjoyed the experience and learned a lot; it has me really looking into more osteopathic schools, as I have a different (better) understanding of the totality of the DO work.

In any case... when my time shadowing this physician is over, is it wise to ask for an LOR at that point? Or should I wait until I'm doing my applications. It's unlikely that I'll apply in this cycle, and instead will probably shoot for admission into the Fall 2015 class.

A few DO schools I'm looking out require a letter from a DO, while others suggest it, so it's something that I'd like to have when the time comes.

I would tell him/her your situation and leave it up to him. If he'd rather 'wait' and author a letter in the future, it's probably a good indication he doesn't feel like he knows you well enough. Maybe he can write one now and update it/tweak it in a year or 2 when you apply.

The best news is you have lots of time to get to know other physicians that will be thrilled to recommend you by writing a genuine letter and not just regurgitating your CV and academic aptitude.

That'd be awesome if you wanted to be the guy to make one. I was wishing for one of those yesterday. It'd be so much easier than checking each one individually.

I have a couple really strong LORs coming from my places of work. One from the Administrative Director where I work as a CNA for almost 2 years and the other from the owner and CEO of a tutoring company I have worked for for a year and a half. Plus I have a good letter from a DO I shadowed for about 25 hours and a great letter from my PI for my research position I held for 2 years. One of my non science professors will write a good letter because I went on a study abroad with him for a semester and 20 other students but I have what I think will be basic and not very strong 2 science professors writing LORs with essentially he got an A in my class and blah blah blah. Is it best just to check off the boxes and hope that the other letters speak louder?

I usually spent more time studying at home and at work than I did at the school talking to professors and I rarely felt the honest need to really hobknob with them. I usually had no real questions. I know I should have made a better effort now but it is what it is. What do you think? Thanks for any help you can provide.

What do you do for schools that don't take interfolio online? will interfolio mail the recommendation letters to the schools? How do you go about doing that?

Do most schools send IIs before they receive the LOR or after?

MedPR: Yes, at BOTH of my LECOM interviews they had people without DO letters meet with staff DOs to write them LORs... Not sure about other schools, I just know that's what happened at both of my LECOM interviews...
So does that mean that i don't have to freak out about not having a DO letter for LECOM? I am really stressing out about this due to the fact that i only have an MD letter