-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Radiology Applicants Thread
Started by dude1344
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
ive gotten so many of those and i just finished a month of surgery...Not that you're counting. 😉
I'm just happiest to almost be done with geriatrics rotation at this point. If I hear one more non-radiologist tell me, "This is important to know, even as a radiologist", I'm going to snap.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like time is slowing down the closer we get to match day. 👎
You should post your top choices in my thread. 👍
There is always that horror story. I know someone that dropped down more than he expected two years ago, but he, allegedly, comes off poorly at first and isn't the greatest interviewer.
I think the only way it would be a real guy check for me is if I dropped below 10 and even then, I wouldn't be too disappointed.
I think the only way it would be a real guy check for me is if I dropped below 10 and even then, I wouldn't be too disappointed.
My class last year had 20 or so people go into rads and most, if not all, matched within their top 3 to 5 - landed at places like Hopkins, UTSW, MIR, UPMC, USCD, and UCSF.
I had to SOAP, but I finally got a spot. I am going to be a radiologist!
Congratulations!!!
Welp...I didn't SOAP, but I got a glimpse of the list of unfilled programs. Not going to name anything to avoid potential match violations, but now I am almost definitely sure where the lowest I'll go down to on my list is. It's a relief, because it's above the rank on my match list that I'd have been happy at.
D
deleted103644
Welp...I didn't SOAP, but I got a glimpse of the list of unfilled programs. Not going to name anything to avoid potential match violations, but now I am almost definitely sure where the lowest I'll go down to on my list is. It's a relief, because it's above the rank on my match list that I'd have been happy at.
Odds are probably in your favor, but there's always the distinct possibility they didn't rank you at all.
Had to SOAP for a Rads spot or prelim? Either way, Congrats it all worked out.I had to SOAP, but I finally got a spot. I am going to be a radiologist!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted116380
For those of us that ranked prelim programs on the main rank order list, would they have told us if we only matched prelim, but not advanced this past Monday? I ranked 3 prelims on the bottom of my main rank so I'm hoping my match letter will show both prelim and advanced and not just prelim. Thanks...
Had to SOAP for a Rads spot or prelim? Either way, Congrats it all worked out.
Both 😡 Still working on prelim.
Odds are probably in your favor, but there's always the distinct possibility they didn't rank you at all.
Yep, hence the "almost" definitely. Though I do think it was one of my best interviews (the rare one where you just click with the residents/attendings).
Both 😡 Still working on prelim.
Sorry to hear you had to SOAP but congrats on finding a rads spot!
One of my colleagues who did not match into his less popular speciality is saying that this happened because all medical students are shying away from Radiology and taking all the Neurology and anesthesia seats!! He said he can SOAP for Radiology and get a position very easy!! I really don't think this is true. Getting interviews and matching for radiology and prelim was very difficult for me as an IMG!!
I really don't care about what was he saying!! but I wonder if you guys think its true!!
I really don't care about what was he saying!! but I wonder if you guys think its true!!
D
deleted116380
One of my colleagues who did not match into his less popular speciality is saying that this happened because all medical students are shying away from Radiology and taking all the Neurology and anesthesia seats!! He said he can SOAP for Radiology and get a position very easy!! I really don't think this is true. Getting interviews and matching for radiology and prelim was very difficult for me as an IMG!!
I really don't care about what was he saying!! but I wonder if you guys think its true!!
I quickly put this together by looking at the NRMP data and results for the most recent years and checking the R3 page for 2013's regional statistics:
Year - #offered - #filled - #unmatched
2013:
PGY1 - 164 150 14 unmatched
PGY2 - 979 928 51 unmatched
2012:
PGY1 - 135 124 11 unmatched
PGY2 - 976 901 75 unmatched
2011:
PGY1 - 144 136 8 unmatched
PGY2 - 980 947 33 unmatched
2010:
PGY1 - 141 139 2 unmatched
PGY2 - 949 945 4 unmatched
2009:
PGY1 - 151 148 3 unmatched
PGY2 - 944 937 7 unmatched
2008:
PGY1 - 157 153 4 unmatched
PGY2 - 928 909 19 unmatched
2010 must have sucked for scramblers.
Basically, we are ~+30 spots from the stable equilibrium.
One of my colleagues who did not match into his less popular speciality is saying that this happened because all medical students are shying away from Radiology and taking all the Neurology and anesthesia seats!! He said he can SOAP for Radiology and get a position very easy!! I really don't think this is true. Getting interviews and matching for radiology and prelim was very difficult for me as an IMG!!
I really don't care about what was he saying!! but I wonder if you guys think its true!!
I think your colleague is way off.
Last edited:
Ya, we could use a bit more contraction in residency spotsBasically, we are ~+30 spots from the stable equilibrium.
One of my colleagues who did not match into his less popular speciality is saying that this happened because all medical students are shying away from Radiology and taking all the Neurology and anesthesia seats!! He said he can SOAP for Radiology and get a position very easy!! I really don't think this is true. Getting interviews and matching for radiology and prelim was very difficult for me as an IMG!!
I really don't care about what was he saying!! but I wonder if you guys think its true!!
this is ******ed
D
deleted116380
I'm getting nervous just thinking about opening that envelope tomorrow.![]()
Same here. 24 hours to go...
D
deleted103644
For those of us that ranked prelim programs on the main rank order list, would they have told us if we only matched prelim, but not advanced this past Monday? I ranked 3 prelims on the bottom of my main rank so I'm hoping my match letter will show both prelim and advanced and not just prelim. Thanks...
You would have been notified that you had matched to a prelim position.
In other words, congratulations, you're a radiologist. 🙂
Both 😡 Still working on prelim.
Got a surgery prelim offer at Albert Einstein Montiefiore. Probably not the easiest, but it is better than no prelim. I am amazed at how quick these spots have dwindled.
Glad to now be able to say Congrats on being fully matched. Congrats. Probably wasn't how you imagined spending your week, but you persevered.Got a surgery prelim offer at Albert Einstein Montiefiore. Probably not the easiest, but it is better than no prelim. I am amazed at how quick these spots have dwindled.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had to SOAP, but I finally got a spot. I am going to be a radiologist!
congrats man, doesn't matter as long as you got a spot somewhere.
Good luck to everyone tomorrow

I'm not doing any. I have the rest of my life for that. Besides, not like I'll be doing all that much on a DR elective anyways.Is everyone here taking two rad electives during their intern year? Any reason why I shouldn't do so?
I'm not doing any. I have the rest of my life for that. Besides, not like I'll be doing all that much on a DR elective anyways.
I'm doing one so far. Trying to weigh +/- on doing another.
I'm not doing any. I have the rest of my life for that. Besides, not like I'll be doing all that much on a DR elective anyways.
thats kind of the point, imo
Any suggestions?Hi,
I am doing some shopping before I start my IM internship next week. In addition to a pair of comfy shoes what should I buy? I don't have a decent stethoscope, should I get a good one? Do I need a reflex hammer and other stuff?
Thanks,
D
deleted103644
Any suggestions?
Get some version of a Littman stethoscope - cardio III if you can afford it.
Will you have medical students? That's your resource for reflex hammers, etc.
A penlight is a good idea too, but you will lose them.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 1K
