2012-2013 Radiology Applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, real cool of you to post this when multiple other people are bummed out about not getting it. Wayta taunt them.

And i say this objectively, as i did not apply there. Have some tact.

Although it seems you are probably trolling.

+1

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, real cool of you to post this when multiple other people are bummed out about not getting it. Wayta taunt them.

And I say this objectively, as I did not apply there. Have some tact.

Although it seems you are probably trolling.

Calm down guys.

Everyone can post here, and I doubt anyone is intentionally trying to hurt the feelings of those who don't get interviews.

I know nerves are exposed here, but cut each other some slack. Cook County is much worse than UIC, so it is not unreasonable for someone to see UIC as a real Chicago program and not Cook County, similar to NYMC vs Harlem Hospital in NYC.

No one is out to get anyone here, so don't take anything personally. A few people troll Aunt Minnie, but that's usually just to say the sky is falling.

SDN trolls don't spend much time in the Radiology section.

Does anyone know how Wheaton-Franciscan/St. Joseph in Milwaukee is in regards to their TY and rads programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how Wheaton-Franciscan/St. Joseph in Milwaukee is in regards to their TY and rads programs?

I have heard decent things about their TY Programs, but according to sources, their rads program is tier 4-5.

Anyone have any insight on Mayo Jacksonville or Univ. of Florida?

I have heard decent things about their TY Programs, but according to sources, their rads program is tier 4-5.

Pretty much any place with a cush TY/prelim will be a low tier radiology program.

The TY isn't good and the rads program is worse. I'd consider it if you don't have any other options.

It isn't Cush either, 6 mo of medicine wards.

Has anyone heard back from UIC regarding interview confirmation after sending them date preferences? It's been over 24 hours..

Has anyone heard back from UIC regarding interview confirmation after sending them date preferences? It's been over 24 hours..
chill man :) 24 hours isnt that long. some of my programs took up to a week or more to confirm.

chill man :) 24 hours isnt that long. some of my programs took up to a week or more to confirm.

Yea same here. I never heard back from one program and it was 2 weeks since my initial contact. So I contacted them again when I was told that they never received my email, and top 3 preference dates I had are no longer available.

I hate programs that have deadlines to reply though as you always have "what if they didn't receive my email.."

Yea same here. I never heard back from one program and it was 2 weeks since my initial contact. So I contacted them again when I was told that they never received my email, and top 3 preference dates I had are no longer available.

I hate programs that have deadlines to reply though as you always have "what if they didn't receive my email.."

Damn sorry to hear that.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will be sending interview date confirmation early next week

Nevermind...question answered. my apologies

UT San Antonio. Thoughts?
I can't seem to find info on the residents/#/even a roster for any texas schools

They will be sending the confirmation email next week

I am debating between William Beaumont and UMKC which program is better?

I am debating between William Beaumont and UMKC which program is better?
Both pretty solid. UMKC is a diamond in the rough type program with unique integrated intern year.
Beaumont is strong and with the prospect of merger with HF (hospital not specific to rads program) and new Oakland U med school shifting it further to academic, it is probably getting stronger.

Location obv. A huge factor in both.

Santa Clara is by far the most competitive of those and IMO the best. By reputation; I would rank them SCV, LLU, kaiser = cedars, cottage, harbor. By desirability, SCV >>>> Cedars = Kaiser > Cottage > Harbor >>> LLU.

I get the impression that reputation is very regionally based and shouldn't be taken as uniform across the country. True, SCV has a decent reputation in California and takes students from great med schools and is a feeder for Stanford fellowships, but this doesn't seem as relevant when viewed in light of its standing in the East Coast, where program directors not as familiar with SCV may view it in light of its status as a community program.

Similarly, I am interested in eventually returning to California for a career but wouldn't mind doing my residency on the East Coast. I've spoken to the radiology chairman at my institution, who says that if my long-term goal is California, I'd be better off at any California program than, say, a program like Mount Auburn, which is like SCV's analogue on the East Coast with its MGH fellowship connections yet is relatively unknown in California.

In other words, SCV's reputation is decent if you're planning to stay in California, but maybe not so great compared to an academic program like LLU if you want to eventually work elsewhere.

Disagree. SCV is the biggest hospital on the peninsula in a city with more than a million people and gets a wide variety of cases. It's a level 1 trauma center with ~600 beds. It's in no way comparable to mt auburn which is tiny (213 beds). In any case, your fellowship makes much more difference than your residency for where you end up. Of the neuro fellows from Stanford, one went to SCV, one went to st Luke's Roosevelt in NYC, and two were from Hawaii, fwiw. I'd pick SCV over LLU no matter what regardless of where you want to practice.

I get the impression that reputation is very regionally based and shouldn't be taken as uniform across the country. True, SCV has a decent reputation in California and takes students from great med schools and is a feeder for Stanford fellowships, but this doesn't seem as relevant when viewed in light of its standing in the East Coast, where program directors not as familiar with SCV may view it in light of its status as a community program.

Similarly, I am interested in eventually returning to California for a career but wouldn't mind doing my residency on the East Coast. I've spoken to the radiology chairman at my institution, who says that if my long-term goal is California, I'd be better off at any California program than, say, a program like Mount Auburn, which is like SCV's analogue on the East Coast with its MGH fellowship connections yet is relatively unknown in California.

In other words, SCV's reputation is decent if you're planning to stay in California, but maybe not so great compared to an academic program like LLU if you want to eventually work elsewhere.

Disagree. SCV is the biggest hospital on the peninsula in a city with more than a million people and gets a wide variety of cases. It's a level 1 trauma center with ~600 beds. It's in no way comparable to mt auburn which is tiny (213 beds). In any case, your fellowship makes much more difference than your residency for where you end up. Of the neuro fellows from Stanford, one went to SCV, one went to st Luke's Roosevelt in NYC, and two were from Hawaii, fwiw. I'd pick SCV over LLU no matter what regardless of where you want to practice.

What? Both UCSF and Stanford are also on the peninsula (Stanford not quite, but neither is SCV) and have more beds (both >600 vs SCV's upper 500's). And fellowship is the most important, but nearly most residencies of decent quality match residents into brand-name fellowships. You'd be hard-pressed to find a decent radiology residency that has not matched at least a few residents into top places like MIR, MGH, UCSF, etc. Mount Auburn may be small compared to SCV, but its fellowship list is pretty difficult to beat, with many if not most residents matching into MGH, UCSF, etc.

I'm not trying to put down SCV by any means; it's a good program, and I would definitely not mind going there if they'd take me (especially being from California). But realistically, in the end, the distinction between academic and community programs does exist for a reason, especially given that connections are important in the field of radiology. Most community program physicians tend to come from the region, while academic programs are more likely to draw from a national pool of candidates for faculty.

Last edited:
While San Francisco is technically on the peninsula, colloquially SF is typically referred to as the city. Stanford is smaller than SCV, with ~450 beds. If you're counting Packard, it may have > 600 but they're totally different hospitals. Not all academic programs are created equal, nor are all community. SCV and Baylor Dallas are the best comm programs in the country.

What? Both UCSF and Stanford are also on the peninsula (Stanford not quite, but neither is SCV) and have more beds (both >600 vs SCV's upper 500's). And fellowship is the most important, but nearly most residencies of decent quality match residents into brand-name fellowships. You'd be hard-pressed to find a decent radiology residency that has not matched at least a few residents into top places like MIR, MGH, UCSF, etc. Mount Auburn may be small compared to SCV, but its fellowship list is pretty difficult to beat, with many if not most residents matching into MGH, UCSF, etc.

I'm not trying to put down SCV by any means; it's a good program, and I would definitely not mind going there if they'd take me (especially being from California). But realistically, in the end, the distinction between academic and community programs does exist for a reason, especially given that connections are important in the field of radiology. Most community program physicians tend to come from the region, while academic programs are more likely to draw from a national pool of candidates for faculty.

Anyone hear back from UIC? I know someone said they'd send out confirmation early this week but I always get a little worried when I reply to these places from my phone so i thought I'd check.

-- They sent out confirmation just now.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I just got my step 2 scores back today! I am currently a 4th year student in Chicago medical school and have received interview invites from most of top Chicago programs I want to potentially end up at.

My step 1 - 257, AOA!
Step 2 - 251

Do you think this will hurt me? I'm not going to release my step 2 scores! I guess I did not study as hard as I thought I did.

Do you know about programs wanting step 2 score to rank in Chicago and Midwest in general? Thanks guys!

I'd release, you did fine. No way that'd be a negative anywhere.

Hey guys,

I just got my step 2 scores back today! I am currently a 4th year student in Chicago medical school and have received interview invites from most of top Chicago programs I want to potentially end up at.

My step 1 - 257, AOA!
Step 2 - 251

Do you think this will hurt me? I'm not going to release my step 2 scores! I guess I did not study as hard as I thought I did.

Do you know about programs wanting step 2 score to rank in Chicago and Midwest in general? Thanks guys!

Thanks! I have decided to go to William Beaumont for an interview.

Both pretty solid. UMKC is a diamond in the rough type program with unique integrated intern year.
Beaumont is strong and with the prospect of merger with HF (hospital not specific to rads program) and new Oakland U med school shifting it further to academic, it is probably getting stronger.

Location obv. A huge factor in both.
Thanks! I have decided to go to William Beaumont for an interview.

Does Baylor COM put everyone on a waitlist who isn't invited for an interview?

does anyone know if Henry Ford has preinterview dinners that has attended an interview yet.... it looks like no, but at least they pay for the hotel :)

No, they said they rather have the people get a good night's rest, which I really appreciate.

WashU says that they have had a record number of applications this year. Interesting since a lot of people say that overall apps are down.

Anyone have an opinion on the importance of call intensity? Some programs seem to brag about how hard their call is while others enjoy sleeping a few hours. Also, level 1 trauma vs. not. Residents responsible for list vs. free to read at own pace.

I get the impression that a higher volume with intense call in a level 1 trauma center = better training

alternate list from home institution... oh well

Anyone familiar with Cedars Sinai's program? General consensus on AuntMinnie is that it is one of the smaller California programs with a lesser national reputation (given, the hospital is well-known, but the radiology program maybe not so much), but several program directors at east coast interviews who've asked about my interviews seem to have a pretty good impression of it, even compared to other bigger more academic programs like UC Davis or Irvine. Unsure what to make of this, especially given that I do have some interest in academic medicine.

Anyone familiar with Cedars Sinai's program? General consensus on AuntMinnie is that it is one of the smaller California programs with a lesser national reputation (given, the hospital is well-known, but the radiology program maybe not so much), but several program directors at east coast interviews who've asked about my interviews seem to have a pretty good impression of it, even compared to other bigger more academic programs like UC Davis or Irvine. Unsure what to make of this, especially given that I do have some interest in academic medicine.

In my opinion, UC irvine is a good deal above davis and cedars sinai

I'm curious to know others thoughts on this - I've had several interviews where all of my interviewers have been engaging, personable, read my application, etc. and I generally leave those feeling pretty good. I've had others where it just seems like pulling teeth to talk to these people - reserved, flipping through my application during the interview, and just generally seem disinterested. I generally leave these feeling like it was a terrible interview, but the more I think about it, it doesn't seem to be a great way to gauge how the interview went because most people probably feel good after talking to outgoing, engaging people and vice versa for quiet, disinterested people and it's (hopefully) not just me. What has been others experience?

I have felt the same way and have gauged my programs somewhat from my experience with the interviewers. I don't think it's a bad way to go about it, these will be people you will have to interact with for 4 years. What are the chances they will find you interesting and interactive if you matched with them. I ranked my places somewhat based on my interaction with the interviewers. I would rather be with a group of people that were engaging and outgoing than a group who was more quiet and introverted.

Really? EVERYTHING I READ ON AUNTMINNIE IS WRONG :scared:

I'll just decide for myself then.

I interviewed at all three last year

IMO Davis > Irvine >> Cedars.

Both Davis and Irvine are good academic programs but I had concerns about Irvine's volume as well as overall cushiness.