2012-2013 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Can anybody comment on OOS chances? Must have strong ties to the state to even be considered, I'm guessing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when secondaries come out?

Can anybody comment on OOS chances? Must have strong ties to the state to even be considered, I'm guessing?

As far as I had it described to me at their reapplicant workshop, I think high scores will be the main thing for OOS. I assume strong ties can't hurt you.

When do secondaries come out?

I believe my secondary came out after AMCAS had processed and sent my application to OU.

Btw, I have been accepted Class of 2016 at OU. I don't know if you guys are reapplicants or not, but I might be able to answer some of your questions concerning applying at OU.

I'm an in-state resident at OSU with a 3.74 gpa and a 32R MCAT. Solid EC's (ER volunteer for 100+ hours, about another 100 hours total shadowing an anesthesiologist, orthopedic surgeon, and primary care physician, and decent campus extracurriculars, including a year as a member of the student government). I should have an extremely good chance, correct?

I'm an in-state resident at OSU with a 3.74 gpa and a 32R MCAT. Solid EC's (ER volunteer for 100+ hours, about another 100 hours total shadowing an anesthesiologist, orthopedic surgeon, and primary care physician, and decent campus extracurriculars, including a year as a member of the student government). I should have an extremely good chance, correct?

You can never tell. I learned the hard way last year to make sure all of your application is in before August 15th or your chances go down considerably no matter what your scores are. For example, I had all of my application completed and submitted by June 10th, but my pre-medical committee didn't submit their letter until the end of October. They had already sent out 165 acceptance letters by that time and continue to consider your application incomplete until then.

So, if you get everything in early, your chances are extremely improved.

Looking for some Feedback.... I am an OOS Applicant.. I was Born in Oklahoma.. Both MD Parents trained at OU... Sibling went to undergraduate and graduate school at OUHSC... I have a 4.0GPA and MCAT Score of 36Q

It is nice to see some activity here. I am applying to the University of Oklahoma as an out-of-state student, though I am doing my undergraduate work at OU. Anyone considering the School of Community Medicine track? I really agree with the goals of the program, but I am not sure about spending so much time in Tulsa!!! What do you all think? And why are you all choosing to apply to OU? I've become quite fond of Oklahoma in the last few years, and I think that it would be great to spend the next four years in Oklahoma. Interested to hear other perspectives!!!

It is nice to see some activity here. I am applying to the University of Oklahoma as an out-of-state student, though I am doing my undergraduate work at OU. Anyone considering the School of Community Medicine track? I really agree with the goals of the program, but I am not sure about spending so much time in Tulsa!!! What do you all think? And why are you all choosing to apply to OU? I've become quite fond of Oklahoma in the last few years, and I think that it would be great to spend the next four years in Oklahoma. Interested to hear other perspectives!!!

Don't let living in Tulsa deter your decision. I've lived in Tulsa my entire life and love it. It's still a big metroplex with BA and Jenks. And the traffic is wonderful if you avoid construction. I mean really, small town feel with big town amenities. Don't reject school because of Tulsa. I've never met someone who regrets moving here.

Don't let living in Tulsa deter your decision. I've lived in Tulsa my entire life and love it. It's still a big metroplex with BA and Jenks. And the traffic is wonderful if you avoid construction. I mean really, small town feel with big town amenities. Don't reject school because of Tulsa. I've never met someone who regrets moving here.

yea i agree.. lived in tulsa for about 20 years now and it basically has everything you need.. and keep in mind, OKC is only an 1hr 30 away..

Has anyone who has AMCAS verified received a secondary?

i havent.. last year i got mine the day after my application was submitted but i havent gotten anything from them yet..

Members don't see this ad :)
dotty said secondaries should be sent out within the next two weeks or so

Thought I'd post this for people looking at multiple schools:
The Class of 2014 is the first class that took step 1 with the curriculum change. Most of the scores came back this week and for the first time in a long time the class average was well above national average (national average was 224 and class average was 229). With the older curriculum, the class average was close but under national average and the last year, under the old curriculum the class had one of the highest fail rates in a long time.

Hope this info helps in your decision process

From the OU College of Medicine website:
Attention 2013 applicants! We are in the process of starting a new software system in our Admissions Office and this is delaying our delivery of our supplemental application to you. We hope to be up and running no later than the end of July. So, please keep monitoring the status of your AMCAS application and be on the lookout for our supplemental application. This will be emailed to you in approximately two weeks!

I just came across this, so two weeks from which date I don't know.

From the OU College of Medicine website:

I just came across this, so two weeks from which date I don't know.

haha i know who you are.
and this is crazy
but heres my number

So, any news on secondaries? I saw that they were having a delay... Does anyone know when that statement was posted on their website? How many people are considering the Community Medicine program?

The OU Website was updated today, looks like we have more waiting ahead of us.

http://www.oumedicine.com/collegeofmedicine/applicants-for-2013

"Attention 2013 applicants!

Update: We are seeing some significant progress in the implementation of our new software system in Admissions. We hope to have supplemental applications emailed no later than August 15th. This delay will in no way affect your application and the offer of October interviews.

Please keep monitoring the status of your AMCAS application. We can only review verified applications when selecting interviews. Make sure that AMCAS has received all transcripts and letters of recommendation."

Finally received the secondary. No essay questions :thumbup::D

Secondary Questions
1. If you are a nonresident of Oklahoma but have close ties to our state, please indicate below. (Examples: born in OK, attended school in OK, family living in OK)
Yes No (there are circles beside each)
(I dont quite understand this question)

2. Please indicate below if you are enrolled in a graduate degree program. If you are enrolled in a graduate program you must submit a letter from the program director or chair of the department stating you are in good standing and that they are supportive of your application.
Yes No

3. Are you applying to the joint MD/PhD educational track? If so, please indicate below and download an application here.
Yes No

4. Are you a legacy of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine? If so, please check the box below and provide the name and year of graduation of your family member
Yes No

5. Applicants now have two educational track options at the College of Medicine. One is in Oklahoma City and the other is a new opportunity located at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine ‐ School of Community Medicine (SCM) campus in Tulsa. For information about the SCM track, please check the SCM website.

Please indicate your interest below. Applicants can indicate interest in one or both campuses. All applicants interested in the SCM must complete three additional questions and will be contacted directly by the SCM regarding application status and interview selection.

Oklahoma City Educational Track:
Yes No
Oklahoma City and SCM Track:
Yes No

I didn't see the 3 additional questions regarding the SCM.

After submitting my letter of references are showing incomplete, but at all other schools I am complete, anyone else having a similar problem?

I just got the secondary today and I'm an out of state student applying here and I'm not sure what to do about the residency question. It asks if I've lived in Oklahoma for the past 12 months, if I say no, it asks which state or country I moved from and the reason. I don't have anything to put down for that, but if I press "section complete" it says I have to fill in those fields. Anyone have any advice? Oh, and my reason for applying is because I have family in Oklahoma City currently working as doctors for the military and they told me how good the school is

I just got the secondary today and I'm an out of state student applying here and I'm not sure what to do about the residency question. It asks if I've lived in Oklahoma for the past 12 months, if I say no, it asks which state or country I moved from and the reason. I don't have anything to put down for that, but if I press "section complete" it says I have to fill in those fields. Anyone have any advice? Oh, and my reason for applying is because I have family in Oklahoma City currently working as doctors for the military and they told me how good the school is

Dotty sent out an email about an hour ago. She said they are currently working on the issue, but here it is verbatim:

We are currently having an issue with the Residency Clarification section of the Supplemental Application. If you select no for question one, the system is not letting you move to the next page. If you are a nonresident and have never lived in Oklahoma, just type that information into the text box on that page. It should let you proceed after that.

We are currently working on this issue and it may even be fixed before you read this!

Dotty

I don't know what system they used last year, but it looks like OU switched to the same system that several other schools use. USC and NYU are ones that I've seen, but I'd venture to guess that there are others that use the same one.

yea i just filled everything out and am also waiting for them to DL my LOR from AMCAS.. gluck everyone!

Finally received the secondary. No essay questions :thumbup::D

Secondary Questions
1. If you are a nonresident of Oklahoma but have close ties to our state, please indicate below. (Examples: born in OK, attended school in OK, family living in OK)
Yes No (there are circles beside each)
(I dont quite understand this question)

I don't get it either. I don't have any close ties. My fiance might move there to work next year, but who knows. I guess I'll just pick No.... kinda weirdly worded though.

Yeah. I was kinda confused because i'm IS. So do I say YES because I have close ties to the state or NO because I'm not a non-resident. I ended up selecting NO.

Yeah. I was kinda confused because i'm IS. So do I say YES because I have close ties to the state or NO because I'm not a non-resident. I ended up selecting NO.

It was a pretty bizarre way to word the question-- I'm IS as well, and selected no too.

Anybody know how long it should take them to download our LOR and transcripts? I submitted the secondary on the 16th and it still says my application isn't complete.

Same here. I'm going to give it a little more time before I start bugging them though.

just asked dotty.. she said its still something they're working on..

For those who were applying to the School of Community Medicine, here are the 3 questions.

Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that provides evidence of your commitment to the OU School of Community Medicine.

Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.

Please enter any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the OUSCM track.

You'll see them after you click yes for applying to both schools. :thumbup:

So it sounds like if they are having trouble downloading our LORs, that no interview invites have been handed out yet? Does anyone know?

Or has anyone who mentioned earlier that they hadn't downloaded your LORs yet had any breakthroughs yet?

So it sounds like if they are having trouble downloading our LORs, that no interview invites have been handed out yet? Does anyone know?

Or has anyone who mentioned earlier that they hadn't downloaded your LORs yet had any breakthroughs yet?

No luck for me still. Probably going to call them later today.

Let us know what they say. I'm still waiting on them to receive my LORs as well.

Dude, why haven't anyone's documents been downloaded?
Ugh Stressful and Unnecessary.

Yeah, it is pretty frustrating. I guess it just comes with implementing a new system. It helps for me to remind myself that I've done all that I can do up to this point. Hopefully they will download the LORs early next week. :xf:

Just in case y'all hadn't seen this on OU's website:

"2013 Applicants: AMCAS Update

We are sending out supplemental applications as we receive applicant contact information from AMCAS. We are still having some difficulty importing letters of recommendation from AMCAS. If your letters have been received by AMCAS, they will eventually be imported into our software system and there is nothing additional you need to do. We have also learned that transcripts will not be imported to our system. You only need to send transcripts to AMCAS at this time."

Thanks for the update. :thumbup:
I hadn't checked the website in a while. Good to know that there's nothing wrong on our end.

It looks like some progress has been made. I signed into my status page and it shows one of my letters was downloaded on 9/4. Ironically the one they downloaded was the last one to go to AMCAS (8/8/12). All the rest that were received by AMCAS in June/July haven't been downloaded by OU yet. Hopefully they get to them all soon and can start sending out invites.

Hey! I just saw this on the OU pre-medical desire to learn page, posted by the OU pre-med advisor Nancy Blass. There have been changes that apparently apply to people applying right now. Just thought i'd share to make sure everyone is aware. This is the message from Nancy Blass:
Friday, July 27, I attended a webinar hosted by OU's College of Medicine. At this meeting, Dr. Sherry Baker, Assoc. Dean of Admissions, informed the state's advisors of the changes they are immediately implementing in the admissions process. The group applying right now are affected by these changes and need to be aware as they may have increased or decreased opportunity for success due to these changes. They are:
1. Effective with this application cycle, applicants will be evaluated for an interview based on a new formula: 70% on MCAT score + 30% on BCPM GPA. This produces a "cognative score" and applicants will be ranked by their "cs" and offered interviews on this basis.
2. All offers for interviews will be online at their new interactive website. Applicants being offered an interview will be able to select their date and time online. Status following the interview will also be revealed online, including acceptances. This is in the effort to go completely paperless in this application cycle.
3. All applicants receiving an interview will be provided with a "non-cognative" score being given scores for 4 areas: professionalism and conscientiousness; communication and interpersonal skills; commitment to the profession; and community and university service. The cognative and non-cognative scores will be added together to produce a Total Score. Applicants will then be ranked based on this Total Score and acceptances will be based on ranking, as will the Wait List. Acceptances will no longer be offered 2 weeks following interviews but instead twice: once following the December meeting of the Board, and again following the February Board meeting. Again , acceptances, deferments, and rejections will be reported online at the website, NOT by mail.
If you have additional questions about these changes, please feel free to contact Nancy Blass at 325-2457. She will try to answer them for you.

Yeah, I've read that. I see that they're putting more emphasis on the MCAT and only look at the sGPA. But above all, I'm pretty disappointed that they decided to give out decisions by December at the earliest. :thumbdown:annoyed:

Just checked my application status and it says that it is completed finally. I submitted it on 8/16

Nice. I also submitted 8/16, but my LORs still have not been received. Hopefully they will get them tomorrow.

Application Status = Complete! Submitted 8/16.

So will the October interviews not be as indicative of an acceptance as they were in the past since all of the oct, nov, & dec interviews will be considered together and responses sent out after the dec board meeting? Am I understanding the changes correctly?

Application Status = Complete! Submitted 8/16.

So will the October interviews not be as indicative of an acceptance as they were in the past since all of the oct, nov, & dec interviews will be considered together and responses sent out after the dec board meeting? Am I understanding the changes correctly?
It's my understanding that since they are no longer offering acceptances two weeks after the October interviews, that there will be no preference shown to a student who interviews in October as opposed to one who interviews in December. Who knows though.

Status
Not open for further replies.