2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious about the Michigan > UPMC thought. Why do you say this (still disregarding location of course)? Anyone else care to agree or disagree?

There are many people who both agree and disagree. Both good programs with good things going for them--putting them in a specific order without regards to personal preference for location/family information is akin to flipping a coin.

I applied very late, so I only have 5 ranks. Any input on how I should rank? I just want the best quality of training possible. No geographic preferences. I will most likely want to do a fellowship. Here's my list:

Rush
Wayne State/DMC
Allegheny/West Penn
Drexel
Einstein

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Please, could somebody shed some light on these programs? Would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious about the Michigan > UPMC thought. Why do you say this (still disregarding location of course)? Anyone else care to agree or disagree?

I've never been to UPMC but from the academic side Michigan has consistently put out a lot of high quality research - I'll bet if you check A+A and Anesthesiology you would find something from UMich almost every month. They have a great computer system that makes large studies feasible like few other places and they have many alums doing well at academic centers around the country.

As far as clinical training goes you would be well trained coming out of either, and I can't comment that the above is not necessarily also true at UPMC.

There are many people who both agree and disagree. Both good programs with good things going for them--putting them in a specific order without regards to personal preference for location/family information is akin to flipping a coin.

Both are good programs, I would put michigan on the tear though of being closer to a great prog. Better fellowship matches and more national connections. Plus they are always pushing out some new study

I've never been to UPMC but from the academic side Michigan has consistently put out a lot of high quality research - I'll bet if you check A+A and Anesthesiology you would find something from UMich almost every month. They have a great computer system that makes large studies feasible like few other places and they have many alums doing well at academic centers around the country.

As far as clinical training goes you would be well trained coming out of either, and I can't comment that the above is not necessarily also true at UPMC.

yep, like i said all of those few programs the OP was deciding between are great in my opinion, no lack of clinical training at any of them

but i think some of the big names at Michigan and their reputation as an anesthesiology powerhouse due in some part to all that research they put out would hold more weight when going for a job a long ways away in the NW as the OP was asking about - and anesthesiology alumni networks don't get any bigger than Michigan's

Hi everyone!!! First off good luck to everyone on March 15th!!! Since there seem to be so many helpful (and well informed and objective) people on here- both my fellow applicants, current residents, and even some practicing anesthesiologists I thought I would put my list on here as well and get your opinions. I live in California and go to med school here as well.

My aspirations/goals in life (ha) include:
#1.) MOST IMPORTANT - eventually getting a private practice or academic job in southern Califoria (this is why I would especially like opinions on going to the east coast and then trying to come back to SoCal and get a good job)
#2.) Possibly (80%) would like to do a fellowship - cardiac or peds most likely, maybe regional

I am up for moving to pretty much any of these places that I am going to rank. I am somewhat hesitant to leave Southern California but know that there is a big difference (name recognition at least) between a place like UC Irvine and some of the east coast big names. Would love your opinions primarily on Top 5 but by all means go crazy if you feel like giving a top 10. I would really appreciate any input...

Sorted by location:

UCLA
UC Irvine
Stanford
UC San Diego
Loma Linda

Brigham and Women's
MGH
Beth Israel

UPenn
Hopkins
NYU

Will be ranking at the bottom for sure:
Columbia (only categorical positions and I prefer advanced)
Yale (New Haven, enough said...no offense)

Final question - do you think that I would stand a better chance of getting a job in the Los Angeles/Orange/San Diego county area if I went to a program in southern California not considered as well known or elite (UC Irvine, UCSD) OR if I went to one of the better east coast programs [for example maybe Brigham, MGH, Hopkins (not sure if Penn, Beth Israel, or NYU count as elite?)] and then applied for jobs in southern California???

Please don't be the guy/girl that says you can't go wrong...true opinions please ;) NONE of us can go wrong no matter what program or city we end up because we all chose the best field...right...from what I have been told anyway...TBD

Thank you in advance! GOOD LUCK!!!

You make it sound like it will be impossible to pick where you work when you finish. If location is critical you will eventually find a job in/around your desired area, albeit you will be giving up salary and/or hours for it. Having a regional connection will get you better offers, but it isnt like you cant find work in socal if you come from the east coast....

Thank you for the reply and did not mean to make it seem like it is impossible...just wanted to know what might be better for job prospects a UC Irvine or UCSD type program or a bigger name east coast school?

Any opinions on how you would rank the programs?

Thank you for the reply and did not mean to make it seem like it is impossible...just wanted to know what might be better for job prospects a UC Irvine or UCSD type program or a bigger name east coast school?

Any opinions on how you would rank the programs?

Personally, I'm ranking according to happiness and where I would get good training over location. I'm from ca too. I emailed some anesthesia groups and they said they don't really care. They cared more about how confident you are and then a bit about reputation. With that in mind I thought that if I wanted to move after residency to another state, I would be better served getting the best training possible rather than networking. Eventually you are going to be in the OR alone. So I just want the best skills possible. My home ca programs is about in the middle of my list. But everyone might have a diff opinion

Sorted by location:

UCLA
UC Irvine
Stanford
UC San Diego
Loma Linda

Brigham and Women's
MGH
Beth Israel

UPenn
Hopkins
NYU

Yale (New Haven, enough said...no offence)

Please don't be the guy/girl that says you can't go wrong...!!!

You can't go wrong. There! I am that guy/girl/cat.
You have an issue with New Haven and not with Baltimore and Philly? You NEED to have an issue with Baltimore, grrrrrl! All three are the same, more or less. Although I am guessing that New Haven probably doesnt have the post-apocalyptic wasteland feel of Baltimore. Hopkins is awesome, though.

I applied very late, so I only have 5 ranks. Any input on how I should rank? I just want the best quality of training possible. No geographic preferences. I will most likely want to do a fellowship. Here's my list:

Rush
Wayne State/DMC
Allegheny/West Penn
Drexel
Einstein

Out of those I only interviewed at Rush. I really liked it, it will be in my top 3. Sounds like you will get solid clinical training and the chair will go to bat for you when applying for jobs/fellowships. Beautiful new medical center. My only concern is work hours, I couldn't get a solid answer out of the residents, best I got was 40-70 hours. 30 hrs/wk could make a world of difference in quality of life.

Rush
Wayne State/DMC
Allegheny/West Penn
Drexel
Einstein

Go with rush at the top. Then dmc/ Allegheny, then Drexel/ Einstein. Wherever you got a better feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!!! First off good luck to everyone on March 15th!!! Since there seem to be so many helpful (and well informed and objective) people on here- both my fellow applicants, current residents, and even some practicing anesthesiologists I thought I would put my list on here as well and get your opinions. I live in California and go to med school here as well.

My aspirations/goals in life (ha) include:
#1.) MOST IMPORTANT - eventually getting a private practice or academic job in southern Califoria (this is why I would especially like opinions on going to the east coast and then trying to come back to SoCal and get a good job)
#2.) Possibly (80%) would like to do a fellowship - cardiac or peds most likely, maybe regional

I am up for moving to pretty much any of these places that I am going to rank. I am somewhat hesitant to leave Southern California but know that there is a big difference (name recognition at least) between a place like UC Irvine and some of the east coast big names. Would love your opinions primarily on Top 5 but by all means go crazy if you feel like giving a top 10. I would really appreciate any input...

Sorted by location:

UCLA
UC Irvine
Stanford
UC San Diego
Loma Linda

Brigham and Women's
MGH
Beth Israel

UPenn
Hopkins
NYU

Yale (New Haven, enough said...no offense)

Final question - do you think that I would stand a better chance of getting a job in the Los Angeles/Orange/San Diego county area if I went to a program in southern California not considered as well known or elite (UC Irvine, UCSD) OR if I went to one of the better east coast programs [for example maybe Brigham, MGH, Hopkins (not sure if Penn, Beth Israel, or NYU count as elite?)] and then applied for jobs in southern California???

Please don't be the guy/girl that says you can't go wrong...true opinions please ;) NONE of us can go wrong no matter what program or city we end up because we all chose the best field...right...from what I have been told anyway...TBD

Thank you in advance! GOOD LUCK!!!

Close, but here's the real ranks by region:

Stanford
UCLA
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
Loma Linda

MGH
Brigham and Women's
Beth Israel

Hopkins
UPenn
NYU

If your final goal is to stay in California, go to a top residency in California. Going to MGH/Brigham/Hopkins will make you a rockstar to the entire country, including California. But it'd probably just be easier to go to UCLA to find a PP gig there.

What is the deal with Yale (aside from New Haven)? I have heard from reliable sources that the name does not mean anything in Anesthesiology. Is this true? They seemed to do alright with fellowships.

What is the deal with Yale (aside from New Haven)? I have heard from reliable sources that the name does not mean anything in Anesthesiology. Is this true? They seemed to do alright with fellowships.

Depends on what you are comparing it to. It is a great program, from what I have heard. Will give you great training. They are in a region with extreme competition and rub shoulders with half a dozen academic behemoth s. If Yale was in the south it would be the top dawg.

Depends on what you are comparing it to. It is a great program, from what I have heard. Will give you great training. They are in a region with extreme competition and rub shoulders with half a dozen academic behemoth s. If Yale was in the south it would be the top dawg.

Agree with Noegrus. Yale is excellent both in terms of research and clinical training. And it has some of the biggest names in anesthesia on the faculty. Residents graduate with great fellowship placements. I think its biggest drawback (and honestly the only reason it isn't considered to be more "desirable") is its location in New Haven...which isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's not NYC, Boston, or Chicago, but its also not North Dakota. It is a decent small city which is quite close to NYC and Boston, with a reasonable cost of living. And for what it's worth, the pay at Yale is relatively very high.

My big concerns about U. Mich are Ann Arbor seemed really dull (plus bad weather) and I had been told to really investigate the CA-3 electives and they have none. Any Michigan residents lurking or perhaps a current senior resident anywhere that has any thoughts on not having elective time?

I dont know what the elective schedule is but somehow with what ever they have they are doing an incredible job of training top anesthesiologists who graduate and get great fellowships. The weather is going to be bad in any city liek NY, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Boston, its all the same cold stuff. Ann Arbor is supposed to be a fun city

Depends on your goals, I suppose. I interviewed at UCSD, UPMC, Emory, and UNC.
UCSD - I think smaller program with some big name faculty, well rounded clinical training, a foot in the door to the SoCal market and 3 years in America's finest city.
UPMC - I think monster clinical training spread out over a number of facilities in a semi-cold mid-size city with all that it offers.
Emory - I think raw clinical experience with real sick patients. Once again in a mid-size city.
UNC - I think third place in the research triangle but overall very solid with good down to earth people.

S/F and good luck in the match!

My big concerns about U. Mich are Ann Arbor seemed really dull (plus bad weather) and I had been told to really investigate the CA-3 electives and they have none. Any Michigan residents lurking or perhaps a current senior resident anywhere that has any thoughts on not having elective time?

According to their curriculum they have 5 months of electives.

hey guys what are your opinions regarding UPENN vs UChicago vs Mayo in terms of name recognition and fellowship placement? It seems like UPENN has more name recognition than UChicago, and Mayo more than UPenn? Am I right?

hey guys what are your opinions regarding UPENN vs UChicago vs Mayo in terms of name recognition and fellowship placement? It seems like UPENN has more name recognition than UChicago, and Mayo more than UPenn? Am I right?

I think Penn and Mayo have similar name recognition, but Penn is truly a workhorse program. You will work long and hard at Penn. They don't try to hide it.

There are a few attendings at my current institution who are recent graduates of Yale's anesthesiology program. They are great anesthesiologist but they are not shy to talk about how their time at Yale was not a good one at all.

Just my 2 cents...

Hi everyone,

Here's my working rank list:
1) Stanford cat/adv
2) UCSD
3) UCLA
4) UCSF cat/adv
5) Mt. Sinai (loved the program)
6) Northwestern
7) Brigham and Women's
8) UC Irvine (liked the ABA accredited international rotation to france!)
9) USC (concerned about fellowship placement)
10) Cedars

My goals (right now):
- End up practicing in CA (don't necessarily need to train there for residency though)
- Go somewhere where I can get good fellowship placement (esp critical care)
- Considering an academic career path but not decided yet on that...
- Be happy!

I'm conflicted about putting UCI or USC above Mt Sinai/NW/BW, especially USC because I want the opportunity to do a critical care fellowship after and most people go into PP. Anyone have an opinion on whether I should UCI/USC/Cedars higher if I want to end up doing a fellowship and then practice in southern CA? I know ~90% of people get their top 4 in anesthesia, but in case I'm in that 10%, I want to make the right decision.

Hypothetically, if I did end up in the midwest or east coast and then did a fellowship in CA, would that hold the same weight as if I had done residency in CA as well? (in terms of job connections/networking etc.)

Thank you for your help SDN :confused:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Here's my working rank list:
1) Stanford cat/adv
2) UCSD
3) UCLA
4) UCSF cat/adv
5) Mt. Sinai (loved the program)
6) Northwestern
7) Brigham and Women's
8) UC Irvine (liked the ABA accredited international rotation to france!)
9) USC (concerned about fellowship placement)
10) Cedars

My goals (right now):
- End up practicing in CA (don't necessarily need to train there for residency though)
- Go somewhere where I can get good fellowship placement (esp critical care)
- Considering an academic career path but not decided yet on that...
- Be happy!

I'm conflicted about putting UCI or USC above Mt Sinai/NW/BW, especially USC because I want the opportunity to do a critical care fellowship after and most people go into PP. Anyone have an opinion on whether I should UCI/USC/Cedars higher if I want to end up doing a fellowship and then practice in southern CA? I know ~90% of people get their top 4 in anesthesia, but in case I'm in that 10%, I want to make the right decision.

Hypothetically, if I did end up in the midwest or east coast and then did a fellowship in CA, would that hold the same weight as if I had done residency in CA as well? (in terms of job connections/networking etc.)

Thank you for your help SDN :confused:

Critical care fellowships are pretty easy to get. It wouldn't matter where you go

Let's take a trip around the Midwest (currently in no order)...

Michigan
Ohio State
Cleveland Clinic
Cincinnati
Case Western (UH)
Univ of Kentucky

Any advice or suggestions based on the programs themselves are appreciated. Sources for your opinion would be helpful to give me some perspective (hopefully not "my neighbor's brother's mistresses' sister heard you get crappy training at ______ program!"). Thanks! :thumbup:

Let's take a trip around the Midwest (currently in no order)...

Michigan
Ohio State
Cleveland Clinic
Cincinnati
Case Western (UH)
Univ of Kentucky

Any advice or suggestions based on the programs themselves are appreciated. Sources for your opinion would be helpful to give me some perspective (hopefully not "my neighbor's brother's mistresses' sister heard you get crappy training at ______ program!"). Thanks! :thumbup:

I would do Michigan, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Case/Ohio State, Cleveland Clinic.

And before everyone goes wondering why I put CCF last, I interviewed there last year thought it sucked, heard a lot of stuff since that it isn't good (3 yr accred, workhorse, lots of fmgs, etc) Does have a good overall name though (not sure about anesthesia) but obviously overall as a medical center good name.

But that's just my two cents!

Oh and i interviewed at all these places last year except for kentucky

Last edited:
I would do Michigan, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Case/Ohio State, Cleveland Clinic.

And before everyone goes wondering why I put CCF last, I interviewed there last year thought it sucked, heard a lot of stuff since that it isn't good (3 yr accred, workhorse, lots of fmgs, etc) Does have a good overall name though (not sure about anesthesia) but obviously overall as a medical center good name.

But that's just my two cents!

Oh and i interviewed at all these places last year except for kentucky

Thanks, I appreciate the honest feedback and where you got it from!

Other opinions are welcomed too

ROL is in and certified. :D

Wonder how many times it will change between now and Feb 20th at 9pm... :laugh:

hey
Anyone mind commenting on UChicago vs UPenn in terms of training and fellowship placement? UPenn is a workhorse program per rumors but residents seem content and staff seem very supportive but UChciago seem "cushier" but staff are more stringent. Is it fair to say that Upenn has a better fellowship placement?

UF or cleveland clinic? Probably going to be a generalist but possibly interested in pain.

Rank list done, certified, and will maybe look at it one more time before it's due.

My school requires us to have it finished on 2/18. IDK how they could keep us from changing anything after, but it's not a bad idea to shoot for that date and then forget about it. To avoid last minute dumb mistakes.

Anyway, good luck to the rest of you, but I think by now most of you have figured it out too ;)

Rank list done, certified, and will maybe look at it one more time before it's due.

My school requires us to have it finished on 2/18. IDK how they could keep us from changing anything after, but it's not a bad idea to shoot for that date and then forget about it. To avoid last minute dumb mistakes.

Anyway, good luck to the rest of you, but I think by now most of you have figured it out too ;)

How would your school track it? Maybe a dumb a question on my part

Your school can look to see if your rank list is certified and also if you are logged in and making changes.

Wait, can they see the actual rank list? Or they only know if it's certified, being edited, etc?

Wait, can they see the actual rank list? Or they only know if it's certified, being edited, etc?

Not sure about that one...does it really matter if they can?

Every year our administrator in charge of ERAS has a heart attack when someone logs in and makes changes minutes from the deadline.

Cornell has housing and is in a better location in NYC....

Im having trouble ranking Mayo in Rochester vs BIDMC in Boston ? How strong are these programs as far as getting me into a good fellowship/reputation? Help! I'm trying to put this match list away and these are pretty even for me....

Last edited:
What does everyone think about U Washington vs. UCLA?

In my mind they are tied....

I did not interview at UCLA, but I thought UW had a wonderful, complete program. The only uncertainty is the newly-interim chair but that shouldn't affect your training in the slightest, so long as they deal with appointing a new chair quickly. Fellowships in everything, research if you want it, in a nice city. I would be happy to match there, and I think I would rank it higher if I was dead-set on working on the west coast some day. It certainly won't close any doors.

Not sure about that one...does it really matter if they can?

Every year our administrator in charge of ERAS has a heart attack when someone logs in and makes changes minutes from the deadline.

I totally understand where Steve is coming from though...

34751608.jpg

Can anyone help me decide between UTSW and Baylor. I want to do fellowship and ultimately private practice in texas. is one better than the other or are they about equal? i liked both equally so the "gut" component is cancelled out.