2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I was also accepted into GEMS and interviewed in April! I'm looking for a place as well and roommates. Would love some help in finding a place/people (females)! Also, when do you think they'll start emailing us more information? I sent in my acceptance letter signed last week and wanted to know how many of us are going to do it, when we move in, etc...

Hey everyone! I too was also accepted into GEMS this year! I'm also on here representing for the people from the April interview group since it seems like yall May interviewees have taken over the forum. In terms of housing I will be living in the Eaves Glover Park apts with my roommate who is another accepted GEMS applicant that I became close to after the interviews. Also since I currently live here I hooked up another person that was accepted into GEMS from my interview group with the Eaves Glover Park apts, and he too will be living there in a studio. Hit me if you have questions. The place is like a 20 minute walk to campus. Also to throw out there Im from ATL! Can't wait to meet you all soon!

Hey,

thanks for the information. i was also in the april interview. do you know if there are any more studios? also, what are the price range?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Another accepted April Interviewee! I'm looking forward to meeting y'all!

Hello new GEMS:

I am writing you to pass along a housing opportunity for one male GEMS student that will be available for move in by July 1, 2014. It is a spacious 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom town house in the Foxhall neighborhood of D.C. This townhouse is equipped with central AC/Heat, new appliances, washer and dryer, lots of storage space, off road parking, and many other amenities. Only a 10 minute walk from campus (3 minute drive) and perfect for any student on a budget.

Rent price is very reasonable, email me for the pricing.

Contact me at [email protected]

Hey guys, congrats for those people getting accepted. I'm applying next cycle, and I had some quick questions about the app process while it's still fresh. First, I was reading online and it said we need to be processed through AMCAS, I thought we just turned in the online application between Feb and March? Do we send the app to the med school, or does AMCAS give us the option to send it to GEMS? Second, how many LORs do we need and is it the standard 2 science prof and 1 non-science? Or is there some wiggle room with how many/what kind of letters? Thanks again for any info and good luck!!!

Hey guys, congrats for those people getting accepted. I'm applying next cycle, and I had some quick questions about the app process while it's still fresh. First, I was reading online and it said we need to be processed through AMCAS, I thought we just turned in the online application between Feb and March? Do we send the app to the med school, or does AMCAS give us the option to send it to GEMS? Second, how many LORs do we need and is it the standard 2 science prof and 1 non-science? Or is there some wiggle room with how many/what kind of letters? Thanks again for any info and good luck!!!
Hi,
You apply through AMCAS like a regular applicant and then you submit a code that's on your processed AMCAS application

OH MY GOODNESS, I'd like to say congratulations to everyone who was accepted into the program this cycle!!! How wonderful! I wish you all the best luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

A friend just told me of an apartment 10 mins from the medical school, fully furnished 1200. But she can only sublease June - August if anyone is interested in it while they find permanent housing DM for details. Thanks!

Hi guys, after weighing my options between Ohio State's Medpath and GEMS, I have decided to go to Ohio. I had a wonderful time with the May interview group, and wish you guys best of luck. Congrats everyone. I hope my spot is given to someone else. I would love to see someone rejoicing again. @Phosphofructoidontcarease hope you get it. best of luck. I'll still keep in touch with the few May interviewees I made friends with. :prof::prof:

Nice choices. I wish I was invited to apply to osu medpath. I applied to Drexel DPMS and got rejected. I didn't even finish my GEMS app stupid letter of rec system and my lor writer didn't get my letter in time.

Are most of you guys who got into gems URM? I was trying to apply with socioeconomic background and had no luck with any the programs

Nice choices. I wish I was invited to apply to osu medpath. I applied to Drexel DPMS and got rejected. I didn't even finish my GEMS app stupid letter of rec system and my lor writer didn't get my letter in time.

Are most of you guys who got into gems URM? I was trying to apply with socioeconomic background and had no luck with any the programs

Hi QnnaQ, sorry I haven't been on here for a while hence the late reply. I think the best thing to do is to call Drexel DPMS and find out the weaknesses in your application. I know Drexel has so many other option, I rejected my interview there after getting GEMS and MEDPATH but still got a call later for some acceptance to some other program at Drexel. You so still apply again. Maybe also take some science classes at your university to improve your GPA a little if that is the case (not sure if that would help though). I think speaking with the school is the best line of action. MEDPATH had people from different background and I want to say most apply with the socioeconomic disadvantaged background but schools look at a lot of other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi QnnaQ, sorry I haven't been on here for a while hence the late reply. I think the best thing to do is to call Drexel DPMS and find out the weaknesses in your application. I know Drexel has so many other option, I rejected my interview there after getting GEMS and MEDPATH but still got a call later for some acceptance to some other program at Drexel. You so still apply again. Maybe also take some science classes at your university to improve your GPA a little if that is the case (not sure if that would help though). I think speaking with the school is the best line of action. MEDPATH had people from different background and I want to say most apply with the socioeconomic disadvantaged background but schools look at a lot of other things.

i got into RFUMS BMS program. this would be my most likely destination.

I would have preferred Medpath OSU (however never was invited to apply) 0r GEMS. its too late now I guess. best of luck to you.

hi, students who do not get into medical school right after they finish Gems or let's say they don't do very well in the program do they get any degree in the end? or possibly take few more classes and earn a MS? i looked online but could not find any information about that. thanks!

For those of you rejected post-interview from GEMS: have you attempted to reach out to the GEMs administrative staff or your faculty interviewer to ask for feedback? if so, did you get a response?

I remember the rejection letter stating that no feedback would be offered, but it's hard to understand the disconnect between the positive comments i received from my faculty interviewer (such as, 'i think you'd be a great fit for this program and school and embody the type of student we're looking for') and the admissions decision.

otherwise, any input from current GEMs with insight on how the interview weighs into the admission decision would also be really appreciated. feel free to PM if that's better. thanks!

Last edited:
Why hello! I've looked around SDN trying to find a thread for the 2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS cycle, after reading those of 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. No such luck, so I decided to create this one ;) I will be applying this year and I'm wondering if anyone else here on SDN is too??

Application opens 2/15 @ 8 AM !!
Hey I have a question! so as far as the application, what medical school did you choose when doing the amcas application that is required? Do we need the actual rec letters and to select a med school? or can we just submit?

Hey I have a question! so as far as the application, what medical school did you choose when doing the amcas application that is required? Do we need the actual rec letters and to select a med school? or can we just submit?
Hey, I'm applying this year. When I turned in my AMCAS, I applied to Ohio State (for their Medpath program) and Michigan State (for their ABLE program)

I have a packet on virtual evals, can I use that instead of interfolio?

Hey, I'm applying this year. When I turned in my AMCAS, I applied to Ohio State (for their Medpath program) and Michigan State (for their ABLE program)

Have you heard from Ohio State? I applied there too!

Why hello! I've looked around SDN trying to find a thread for the 2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS cycle, after reading those of 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. No such luck, so I decided to create this one ;) I will be applying this year and I'm wondering if anyone else here on SDN is too??

Application opens 2/15 @ 8 AM !!

Hello everyone! I will be applying to GEMS too!!! I live in ATL! Best of luck to everyone!!!! I woke up early thinking i could get started but the link is not open yet.

Has anyone seen the link yet for the application?

also anyone else know other similar programs that do not require having applied thru amcas like Ohio state medpath? I know drexel has dpms

I heard wake had one but I can't find the link...

Have you guys sent your app in yet?
Writing more essays at this stage of medskul application cycle is driving me crazy.

My answers for questions 31 and 32 do not appear in the pdf preview. Anyone else having this issue?

Are those the questions on disadvantages situation and how we are going to use GEMS experience?
My answers appeared on the pdf preview.

Are those the questions on disadvantages situation and how we are going to use GEMS experience?
My answers appeared on the pdf preview.

They were the "community" and "the obstacles you must overcome." I e-mailed tech support and they said not to worry about it. Officially complete and submitted. Excited for the next step!

Hi guys,

COuld anyone know/please give me the matriculation rate for the 2014-2015 GEMS class into Gtown med ?