-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Temple University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
submitted mine already, but under "Materials" tab, it said, "No supplemental application materials at this time."
Am I the only encountered this?
Thanks!
That's for update letters and stuff.
+1i got same thing so your not alone
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1200-1800 for eachThose of you who have already submitted, how long were your essays? 2000 characters, 5000 characters?
5 minute load time between each editOof. This was one of the first secondaries I pre-wrote. It reads like I wrote it in sixth grade... Made lots of edits!
Finally managed to submit! I watched the Food Network in between pages loading so it was actually pretty relaxing.
dial up is faster.This secondary page makes me feel like I'm still on AOL dial-up
Sigh I spent 3 hours and gave up after I accidentally closed my tab while I was waiting. This should be better tomorrow or something... right?
In the meantime, does anyone know if the clinical center you designate as #1 matters? For example, I know that like temple added the medical education/research building recently but that's obviously restricted to certain campuses right?
In the meantime, does anyone know if the clinical center you designate as #1 matters? For example, I know that like temple added the medical education/research building recently but that's obviously restricted to certain campuses right?
D
deleted545718
Decided to stop and come back later, but it's only gotten slower!
Hi, first time posting here. Can anyone offer a quick summary of what the focus is for each clinical program associated with Temple. As an OOS applicant, I'm not too familiar with these programs and didn't find the videos to be very informative. Thanks!
It's lightning fast this morning!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Considering they're going to start reviewing apps August 15th, 2013 I don't think it matters how fast you submit because your application was already reviewed nearly a year ago.It's lightning fast this morning!
Last edited:
OOS verified mid june, received secondary.
this. website. sucks.
Added this school this morning and just got the secondary! So excited!
Submitted the secondary! I car shopped in between the page loading haha
Considering they're going to start reviewing apps August 15th, 2013 I don't think it matters how fast you submit because your application was already reviewed nearly a year ago.
- What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?
As the only medical school with an apparently functional time machine, I am confident Temple will train me to be a physician truly prepared for the future of medicine.
- What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?
What an exciting time we live in! We'll be masters of medicine, boldly going where -- and when -- no physician has gone before.
Submitted! Very excited!
This will be the only secondary that I will choose to wait 2 days to work on. Not just because of the slow website that I keep hearing about, but also because I have to take all of today to prepare for a mock interview tomorrow.
If we indicated TUSM as our first choice clinical campus, do we still have to explain in the third essay or is that just for if you indicated another campus as your first choice?
What do the directions say to do?
If we indicated TUSM as our first choice clinical campus, do we still have to explain in the third essay or is that just for if you indicated another campus as your first choice?
Only if it's another campus as your first choice!
What do the directions say to do?
I understand why pre-meds get a bad rap now. Seriously, RTFM.
Does Temple send a complete email?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rank them all like it wants you to. Nearly everyone gets their first pick. It is also possible to switch after matriculation, though it's easier to do if you're switching FROM main campus to one of the clinical sites.Is it kosher to just put the Philly campus as all of our picks? I really have no desire to live anywhere else in Pennsylvania
P.S. Crozer is not far. It was not an option as its own clinical campus for my class, but you can easily live in Philadelphia and commute to Crozer without needing to relocate between MS2 and MS3. You may also get sent to one of the clinical campus sites for one or more rotations in third year, even as a main campus person, depending on your lottery picks.
SUBMITTED. I can't believe how incredibly slow their secondary website was even after I waited until today to do this, when most of y'all have already submitted already.
if you're a turtle you'll get along well with their websiteMeh, I still need to write it. I've got a couple more pressing secondaries at the moment. What can I say, I'm a turtle.
I like that enough to quote you and write it out ;Pif you're a turtle you'll get along well with their website
This statistic is scary: "One in every four people who applies to medical school in the United States applies to Temple University School of Medicine (TUSM)" per their website.
Yes, but not everyone one of those candidates will actually be fit for Temple's standards. Temple is incredibly service-oriented per their website. They were ranked as "one of the most service-oriented student bodies" out of every medical school campus. So, obviously they would want to recruit candidates who have shown a dedication to community service and serving the underserved.This statistic is scary: "One in every four people who applies to medical school in the United States applies to Temple University School of Medicine (TUSM)" per their website.
.
Last edited:
Submitted and paid! Didn't really experience any slowness issues, so I think those are resolved now for those who are waiting to work on the application.
Question about their MD/MPH program. Is it a high-quality program? I would assume so since Temple is such a service-oriented school and dedicated to serving the disadvantaged, but just wanted to get some more opinions on the matter.
Also, is the MD/MPH program more/less competitive than regular MD? I called the admissions office and they said you have to be admitted into the MD program before being considered for the dual degree. But I know some schools will look favorably upon dual degree applicants and it can give you an edge, especially if the school is particularly community health-oriented. Does anyone have info about this? Thank you and good luck to all!
Also, is the MD/MPH program more/less competitive than regular MD? I called the admissions office and they said you have to be admitted into the MD program before being considered for the dual degree. But I know some schools will look favorably upon dual degree applicants and it can give you an edge, especially if the school is particularly community health-oriented. Does anyone have info about this? Thank you and good luck to all!
Also just a disclaimer, I am NOT just applying to the MD/MPH program to get an edge, I am actually interested in public health 🙂 Just wondering cause my MCAT and GPA are slightly below the average, 30 composite (9PS/10VR/11BS) and GPA 3.66.
I can't imagine it is significantly different than regular MD admissions. If it was actually less competitive, I would think the applicant market would shift to fill that hole. They might put more weight on public health experiences (hence less weight on stats) though.
Then again, they may not even look at if you are an MD/MPH applicant until you already passed the MD cut.
Then again, they may not even look at if you are an MD/MPH applicant until you already passed the MD cut.
Thanks BeancheBlanco. I agree, it probably won't help much other than pulling my app together and making my public health experiences fit into the rest of the app.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone know how strict their LoR requirement for non-science is?
Quite strict which is why I haven't applied there yet. Still waiting on one generic science letter. I asked all schools I am applying to if a letter from my PI in the psych department would count, Temple said the following:
"If submitting a compilation packet or individual letters, two (2) letters must be from professors with whom you completed course work from the AMCAS course classification of Biology, Chemistry, or Physics. We welcome letters from research experiences, but they will not fulfill our science letter requirement. One (1) additional letter is required from a non-science professor, work experience, or service activity."
The no character or word limit on the essays is a breath of fresh air.
I know the prompt for Essay 3 says that we don't have to explain the nature of our choice if we didn't choose one of the other clinical campuses...but does anyone still have the instructions from the "Clinical Campuses" section...because I know they specifically addressed Essay 3 and I'm pretty it just said to explain our first choice....
(I saved my clinical campuses choices and then it deleted all of the instructions from the section...)
If you could just paste the instructions from the Clinical Campuses section that would be great!
Thanks!
(I saved my clinical campuses choices and then it deleted all of the instructions from the section...)
If you could just paste the instructions from the Clinical Campuses section that would be great!
Little confused on the "compilation packet" definition. My pre-med advisor submitted a packet for me that includes my committee letter, a science prof letter, and a research advisor letter. My understanding is that you only need to submit 2 science prof letters if you don't have a committee letter. Am I correct?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K