2014-2015 Temple University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
verified... good luck to all who applying here;)

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard really amazing things about this school from an friend who just graduated. Can't wait to get the application season rolling!

Does anyone know what is the pre clinical grading scheme is? And how close is it to the undergraduate campus?

Thanks! :)

Does anyone know what is the pre clinical grading scheme is? And how close is it to the undergraduate campus?

Thanks! :)

Preclinical is H/P/F, not curved. If I remember correctly the undergraduate campus is a couple subway stops south of the medical school.

Preclinical is H/P/F, not curved. If I remember correctly the undergraduate campus is a couple subway stops south of the medical school.
The bolded is correct. The HSC is about one and a half miles north of main campus, straight up Broad.

Applied, In State. Love Philadelphia, though I need to stay closer to West PA, if I can. Going where ever will have me, though.

Is temple called the 'Katz school of medicine' now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to Temple this year! I've been doing some research today from last year's forum.

I believe the secondary didn't come out until July 23 last year. The secondary essays were:

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?

How do you anticipate contributing to the TUSM community?

If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Geisinger Health System, or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue.

What are your plans for the current year- June 2012 until June 2013?

Hope this helps! And good luck with everyone who is applying!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying to Temple this year! I've been doing some research today from last year's forum.

I believe the secondary didn't come out until July 23 last year. The secondary essays were:

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?

If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Geisinger Health System, or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue.

What are your plans for the current year- June 2012 until June 2013?

Hope this helps! And good luck with everyone who is applying!

By any chance do you know what the word limit is?

What would be considered a "compelling reason" why one couldn't get 2 science prof LORs?

does this mean you got this year's secondary already?

Temple requires 2 LORs be from science professors.

If you can't get fulfill that requirement, it might not be worth applying...

Temple requires 2 LORs be from science professors.

If you can't get fulfill that requirement, it might not be worth applying...
+1 Before I had two science letters, I called to ask and they were pretty rigid. Of the schools I applied to, the only school that "required" 2 science letters but would allow you to explain one of them away is Loyola.

Hey, first time poster here. Had a question about Temple that hopefully current or former students might be able to help with.

Can any current or former students comment on Temple's match list. I know that looking without any background information can be difficult because the student's interests can vary greatly from year to year. So, I wanted to know how current students felt about Temple placing student's into competitive residencies.

For example, by glossing over the match list from 2009-2012 I see that there is a huge section of the class going to primary care (IM/Peds/FM) and rest going to others. For some more competitive residencies, such as neuro-surgery (something I am interested at the moment, but obviously might change with school), I see there are a few years with no matches in this specialty. Is this based on student interest or does the school push towards primary care (I know some schools emphasis producing primary care physicians)? Also, does your clinical years campus placement influence the training you get. Do the clerkships at say crozer-chester differ from Temple Hospital vs. West-Penn vs. St. Lukes etc..and how hard is it to switch between clinical affiliates if you want something different?

I love Temple's program and their mission and vision so would love to hear any input current students have. Thanks.

I'm having trouble with the last prompt...
this is such an open ended Q...should I focus one or multiple traits that I have to contribute to the TUSM community? If I chose multiple, i'm having a tough time connecting them as an essay...anyone having trouble with this prompt?

I'm having trouble with the last prompt...
this is such an open ended Q...should I focus one or multiple traits that I have to contribute to the TUSM community? If I chose multiple, i'm having a tough time connecting them as an essay...anyone having trouble with this prompt?

I focused on one trait and a couple experiences that back up that trait. :) I'm basically adapting my diversity prompt to be in line with TUSM's mission.

I focused on one trait and a couple experiences that back up that trait. :) I'm basically adapting my diversity prompt to be in line with TUSM's mission.

Does this mean you received Temple's secondary or are you going off last years prompt?

Does this mean you received Temple's secondary or are you going off last years prompt?
I don't think anyone has gotten it yet (feel free to chime in if you have). Last year it was sent out around the end of July.

Hey, first time poster here. Had a question about Temple that hopefully current or former students might be able to help with.

Can any current or former students comment on Temple's match list. I know that looking without any background information can be difficult because the student's interests can vary greatly from year to year. So, I wanted to know how current students felt about Temple placing student's into competitive residencies.

For example, by glossing over the match list from 2009-2012 I see that there is a huge section of the class going to primary care (IM/Peds/FM) and rest going to others. For some more competitive residencies, such as neuro-surgery (something I am interested at the moment, but obviously might change with school), I see there are a few years with no matches in this specialty. Is this based on student interest or does the school push towards primary care (I know some schools emphasis producing primary care physicians)? Also, does your clinical years campus placement influence the training you get. Do the clerkships at say crozer-chester differ from Temple Hospital vs. West-Penn vs. St. Lukes etc..and how hard is it to switch between clinical affiliates if you want something different?

I love Temple's program and their mission and vision so would love to hear any input current students have. Thanks.

I don't think Temple pushes for primary care any more than most medical schools do, given the shortage of those specialties. You will see a large portion of most schools match lists going into primary care for a number of reasons. I think most people are genuinely interested in primary care/everything you care for in internal medicine, many have their sights set on a specific subspecialty, and some couldn't make up their mind and decided to just do internal medicine/family practice, etc. I'm sure there are some people that choose one of those specialties because they didn't think they were competitive for anything else, but I think that's fairly uncommon (and there's more to choose from beyond primary care if that's your problem).

I can't speak directly about neurosurgery, but last year there were people that matched into Ophtho, Urology, and Ortho. One person matched into Derm. Lots of people matched into radiology. Temple also has a large number of people that choose Emergency Medicine and I'm not sure if that's because people that are interested in EM before med school choose Temple because of its location and EM program, or the location and experiences across the street at TUH influence people to choose EM. I think there's one person in my class that was considering neurosurgery but was undecided between that and a few other things, but there are a number of other people interested in competitive specialties.

What I WILL say is that many people change their minds in medical school, especially during third year. For example, I have a friend that originally wanted to do something like trauma surg or neurosurg or EM and he's now choosing pediatrics. You may realize you HATE the OR, or you LOVE outpatient care, or you just have NO desire whatsoever to commit to the lifestyle that neurosurgery will demand of you.

Disclaimer - I'm not really speaking from personal experience here. I was pretty sure I wanted to do Ob/Gyn when I started medical school and I haven't changed my mind. It's a demanding but not particularly competitive residency to match into but I wouldn't have been out of the running if I wanted a more competitive specialty.

@Geekchick921 Got any cool trauma stories from rotations in the ER at temple? Does it get the most gunshot wounds in the country?

I actually haven't had my EM rotation yet, but I'm not doing at Temple. I didn't choose my EM rotation until later in the 4th year lottery so I don't even remember if Temple was still available in the block I wanted to take it. I chose to do it in a place closer to where I live.

I wouldn't doubt that stat, though. I'm sure it's near the top.

I also did my gen surg rotation at an affiliate site. I'm no fun.

Last edited:
133 IS and 82 OOS according to the MSAR.

OOS. Secondary just showed up.

Essays:
The following questions will help us identify your particular interest in TUSM. There is no character limit for the questions. It is not recommended that you paste the essay responses from a MAC word program. Do not select the save button below more than once or each essay could appear multiple times.

• What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?
  • How do you anticipate contributing to the TUSM community?
  • If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Geisinger Health System, or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue.
  • What are your plans for the current year- June 2014 until June 2015?

Essays:
The following questions will help us identify your particular interest in TUSM. There is no character limit for the questions. It is not recommended that you paste the essay responses from a MAC word program. Do not select the save button below more than once or each essay could appear multiple times.

• What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?
  • If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Geisinger Health System, or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue.
Thanks! what are the character limits?

Edit: Never mind, apparently I can't read.

Last edited:
Essays:

There are no character limits for the questions. (2nd or 3rd sentence on the post). Go nuts! :D

Edit: oops sorry was answered already.

Verified 7/1, still nothing here

Verified first day... Anyone OOS get the secondary?

IS, verified 2nd day, no email yet...:whistle:

OOS, verified 6/5, no email yet.