2014-2015 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all of those accepted! This is a very exciting time in your lives and I strongly encourage you all to do whatever makes you the happiest over the time off before you matriculate. As I was told by those older and wiser than myself, "The best part of medical school is the time between your first acceptance and matriculation." Make the most of it! Though, medical school isn't too bad either, at least so far ;)

For those who have been wait listed, there has been some significant movement in the past. If that is the case, do not be discouraged. Additionally, a very significant portion of matriculants each year are reapplicants, so if it comes to that you certainly are not at a disadvantage.

I know the process of matriculation and/or being wait listed can lead to a lot of anxiety. If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask, I will do my best to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
...If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask...
giphy.gif

ND resident waitlist movement?
Top 8 chances/how does the wait list work residency wise(is there separate lists depending on residency or just one list?)?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a silly question about moving to ND and car choice. I'm from the southwest where it is nicely warm most of the time and I've rarely had to deal with freezing temps and icy roads.
I have a Genesis Coupe (turbo, rear-wheel drive), how long would this car survive in the nice freezing winter weather of ND? My friends and family (from the midwest and east coast) have all told me to get rid of the car and get something that can survive the cold and roads. I know it's silly but just want to prepare myself.

ND resident waitlist movement?
Top 8 chances/how does the wait list work residency wise(is there separate lists depending on residency or just one list?)?

Historically they've all been on the same list, but all of the people with your "residency" before you have to accept/decline for you to get the acceptance, so the lists are essentially separate. IIRC, if you're in the top 8 you have a pretty good chance, but it really depends on the year.

If you want a more specific answer, you could certainly talk with the admissions office and they could probably give you the actual numbers by year.

I have a silly question about moving to ND and car choice. I'm from the southwest where it is nicely warm most of the time and I've rarely had to deal with freezing temps and icy roads.
I have a Genesis Coupe (turbo, rear-wheel drive), how long would this car survive in the nice freezing winter weather of ND? My friends and family (from the midwest and east coast) have all told me to get rid of the car and get something that can survive the cold and roads. I know it's silly but just want to prepare myself.

I'll put it this way, you can gladly have my truck if I can have your car.

North Dakota actually gets very little snow compared to other temperate regions, and your coupe should tolerate the cold just as well as any other.

So your saying for example if my waitlist number is 7 ND 4 of the people infront of me could be OOS so I am actually 3 ND?

Also can I only be accepted if a ND person declines? Or just as long as following my example above 7 people decline instate or OOS?

Last edited:
So your saying for example if my waitlist number is 7 ND 4 of the people infront of me could be OOS so I am actually 3 ND?

Also can I only be accepted if a ND person declines? Or just as long as following my example above 7 people decline instate or OOS?
If you're 7th and a ND resident and 4 people ahead of you are OOS then you'll be next in line after the 2 ND residents ahead of you either withdraw or are accepted. OOS movement has no impact on IS waitlist movement unless the OOS waitlist is exhausted and they have to turn to ND residents to fill those spots. The chances of that happening though are not even remotely likely.

If you're 7th and a ND resident and 4 people ahead of you are OOS then you'll be next in line after the 2 ND residents ahead of you either withdraw or are accepted. OOS movement has no impact on IS waitlist movement unless the OOS waitlist is exhausted and they have to turn to ND residents to fill those spots. The chances of that happening though are not even remotely likely.
Is there a way to find out how many OOS and IS are infront of you?

Is there a way to find out how many OOS and IS are infront of you?
When I was waitlisted a few years ago the list we received listed the residency of each spot on the waitlist (i.e., ND/ties to ND/Former long term resident, MN, or WICHE), so unless that's changed you could figure it out that way. Otherwise you can try contacting the office of admissions and student affairs.

Thoughts from any current students about living situations? I'd really like a one bedroom near campus that won't suck every penny out of my loans lol.

^Second that. Or possible know of students who may want to get an apartment together? I'm open to either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts from any current students about living situations? I'd really like a one bedroom near campus that won't suck every penny out of my loans lol.

I'm not sure any apartment in GF could suck all your loan money, it's pretty cheap to live here relative to the rest of the country. It is more expensive than Fargo, however. A nice one bedroom can be pretty pricey, but if it's what you desire then it is certainly doable. It's about finding the right combination of price/location/privacy for you.

Most people I know live in one of the assorted apartments or houses that surround the UND campus. Some people choose to live in the south portion of Grand Forks, too. I believe they have nicer/cheaper places to live there since it is more distant from the school. The school leaves you pretty much on your own to find a place to live, so the best way to go about it is to talk with another person who is currently in the medical school or another student who will be attending here next year and then going apartment/house searching.

Living arrangements can be frustrating in Grand Forks, so as long as you know you (and other people if you're living with others) are for sure attending, then the sooner you pick a place the better. Pretty much everything you need at the school itself (Medical School, Gym, Pool, Ralph Engelstad arena) are within a half mile of one another, so that's nice and convenient since it's where you will spend the majority of your time.

I'm not sure any apartment in GF could suck all your loan money, it's pretty cheap to live here relative to the rest of the country. It is more expensive than Fargo, however. A nice one bedroom can be pretty pricey, but if it's what you desire then it is certainly doable. It's about finding the right combination of price/location/privacy for you.

Most people I know live in one of the assorted apartments or houses that surround the UND campus. Some people choose to live in the south portion of Grand Forks, too. I believe they have nicer/cheaper places to live there since it is more distant from the school. The school leaves you pretty much on your own to find a place to live, so the best way to go about it is to talk with another person who is currently in the medical school or another student who will be attending here next year and then going apartment/house searching.

Living arrangements can be frustrating in Grand Forks, so as long as you know you (and other people if you're living with others) are for sure attending, then the sooner you pick a place the better. Pretty much everything you need at the school itself (Medical School, Gym, Pool, Ralph Engelstad arena) are within a half mile of one another, so that's nice and convenient since it's where you will spend the majority of your time.

Are there some good websites/apps to help find housing there?

Looking at older threads, I believe someone just makes a Private Group and people are invited or request to be added.

I was wondering the same thing so I looked. Some schools have the admissions office/representative make an FB page, or at least that's how it is in my home state.

Are there some good websites/apps to help find housing there?

You'll just have to look around - I don't have any particular tips there. Finding good housing can be a bit of an issue in Grand Forks.

Is there a class FB page?

Generally a member of the incoming class will take the initiative and set up a private group. If there's not one already, you could be the one to do that. ;)

ND residents planning on accepting to a different school?

Well here one is courtesy of the recommendation of @NoDakDok

https://www.facebook.com/groups/805474779530094/

You're welcome. ;)

ND residents planning on accepting to a different school?

Wait list movement tends to happen around mid-May, so be patient. However, IIRC the turnover for in-state acceptances is below the national average - it's difficult to turn down UND for other schools for a number of reasons. Regardless, I'm sure there will be a handful, there always are. Good luck!

Is anyone going to the "get to know you day"? If so, which date are you choosing?!

Is anyone going to the "get to know you day"? If so, which date are you choosing?!

I'm probably going to go to both dates.

Last edited:
A little behind on joining in on this but I was also accepted to the class of 2019! I will be giving away my seat this year and matriculating in the fall of 2016. Best of luck to you all!