You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 University of Oklahoma Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
19 people total have been taken of the list. I'm about to give up hope.
Don't lose hope, this is the first week of May. Every year people are accepted into July. The other schools around the country aren't done accepting off the wait list which means that OU isn't either. Just imagine, and it's very easy to do so, someone is accepted off the waitlist at UT Southwestern or Baylor, which frees up a spot at OU. Or someone was wait listed at their home state institution and gives up the OU spot for more favorable tuition.19 people total have been taken of the list. I'm about to give up hope.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
21 off waitlist, 7 multiple acc.
R
that is a bit frustrating at this point to have people that are still holding more than one acceptance. I can only imagine it's kids trying to leverage schools for money. However, at this point I feel that it doesn't reflect well on the person still doing so. It doesn't affect me, but it's rather frustrating knowing that there is someone dying to go to OU that is being delayed in accepting their spot because some jack*** is playing games. This restricts someone's ability to organize their life for the next four years.21 off waitlist, 7 multiple acc.
R
that is a bit frustrating at this point to have people that are still holding more than one acceptance. I can only imagine it's kids trying to leverage schools for money. However, at this point I feel that it doesn't reflect well on the person still doing so. It doesn't affect me, but it's rather frustrating knowing that there is someone dying to go to OU that is being delayed in accepting their spot because some jack*** is playing games. This restricts someone's ability to organize their life for the next four years.
While I have sympathy for those that are yet to get the good word from OU, this statement is inappropriate and judgmental. I am not holding multiple acceptances at this point, but I know few reasons why someone could be doing so besides "playing games."
While I have sympathy for those that are yet to get the good word from OU, this statement is inappropriate and judgmental. I am not holding multiple acceptances at this point, but I know few reasons why someone could be doing so besides "playing games."
I strongly disagree that it is inappropriate to say those holding multiple acceptances in mid May are doing a disservice to the programs and potentially themselves as well. Sure, it is possible that someone is holding multiple acceptances and has familial considerations that are delaying them making a decision to this point, however, I personally know a couple people holding multiple that are doing precisely what I stated in the previous post which is why I made it. Further, judgments are made by every person all the time. There are positive, negative, critical judgments, etc. No one ever has a problem with someone "judging" them when someone pats them on the back, though, just when they don't like an assessment. You cannot have it both ways.
Last edited:
This late in the game it is rather frustrating. However, that frustration stems in part from jealousy. They are in and I am not. On one hand I am eager to simply know. My wife and I have big decisions to make that are on hold until we know what's happening. On the other hand, I am holding an acceptance at one school that I will drop if I get one here - potentially putting another in my own uncomfortable shoes. I suppose I won't cast stones, and will sit quietly and wait (on the edge of my seat, of course).
Last edited:
R
that is a bit frustrating at this point to have people that are still holding more than one acceptance. I can only imagine it's kids trying to leverage schools for money. However, at this point I feel that it doesn't reflect well on the person still doing so. It doesn't affect me, but it's rather frustrating knowing that there is someone dying to go to OU that is being delayed in accepting their spot because some jack*** is playing games. This restricts someone's ability to organize their life for the next four years.
Maybe they are recently received wait list acceptances and the students are making a decision...it's not that unthinkable that a few might still have a couple of spots on hold. I completely understand the frustration (I am waiting on waitlists and still don't know where I'm going), but "jack*** playing games" is a bit unfair. Almost every school is going to be shuffling around until the end of may, it's just the way this works
I just got the acceptance email this morning. I'm conflicted because OU is a great school and my family (all live in Norman) want me to go there, but I feel more comfortable at OSU. I'm happy and honored that they pulled me off the waitlist, but it's a lot to process.
Congratulations! It is a lot to take in, but I probably shouldn't be giving any advice since it would stem from me still being on the wait list
Yes, in that situation it would be unfair. However, specifically, I know someone that has been holding three acceptances for several months and has been using those to leverage more money from the schools. Up until 4/30 I'm fine with that, however, it's now past mid May and I do think they are being exactly what I previously stated. And if someone else thinks that is a good way to deport yourself at this point in the game, then we will simply be at a firm disagreement.Maybe they are recently received wait list acceptances and the students are making a decision...it's not that unthinkable that a few might still have a couple of spots on hold. I completely understand the frustration (I am waiting on waitlists and still don't know where I'm going), but "jack*** playing games" is a bit unfair. Almost every school is going to be shuffling around until the end of may, it's just the way this works
And I'm not frustrated, as I'm accepted here and let two acceptances go to choose to attend here. I didn't bother holding onto those other acceptances for any longer than necessary to make a decision. I simply feel that it is poor conduct to hold onto spots once you know where you're going.
Last edited:
I just got the acceptance email this morning. I'm conflicted because OU is a great school and my family (all live in Norman) want me to go there, but I feel more comfortable at OSU. I'm happy and honored that they pulled me off the waitlist, but it's a lot to process.
Congrats. That is an important and tough decision. Perhaps you should take a little time and discuss it with the people that matter to you, to weigh the pros and cons. Best of luck in your decision.
Congrats. That is an important and tough decision. Perhaps you should take a little time and discuss it with the people that matter to you, to weigh the pros and cons. Best of luck in your decision.
Thanks man, I've already started the process of doing that and will have to continue asking for more perspectives. I remember you posted often in the OSU forums. Would you mind sharing why you chose OU over OSU?
Withdrew my acceptance this morning! Hope one of you hears the good news soon, best of luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
25 off waitlist, 5 mc
I just got the acceptance email this morning. I'm conflicted because OU is a great school and my family (all live in Norman) want me to go there, but I feel more comfortable at OSU. I'm happy and honored that they pulled me off the waitlist, but it's a lot to process.
I'm a current student at OSU-COM. There are several kids in our class who turned down acceptances to OU for OSU. OSU offers a very unique atmosphere to pursue medicine. If you think you'll be bothered having a DO after your name than go to OU. Although, know that the education you receive will be the same at both universities. One of the questions these students get quite frequently is whether they regret their decision at all and they unanimously tell everyone they made the right decision for themselves. The people at OSU are spectacular. I can't speak for most programs, but as far as pediatrics is concerned, a majoritity of the chief residents at OU-Peds in both Tulsa and OKC have been OSU-COM graduates. What I'm saying is, don't buy into this SDN belief that one school is better than the other. OU has historically received more funds, but new legislature passed this year now requires equal state fundings (which is why OSU is currently building a new facility). They are both great institutions that will provide you with great educations and professional networks. Choose the institution that fits well with your personality. When I was a pre-med, I did not even think twice about the atmosphere that I would be learning medicine in. You'll be with your classmates ~50 hours a week studying, so it's a significant factor to consider.
Last edited:
Yes, two reasons. My sister and her family are in okc near the school and I'm very close with them, and OUHSC offers far greater opportunities to explore research than OSU does. I also chose OU over Ohio state bc of geography and costThanks man, I've already started the process of doing that and will have to continue asking for more perspectives. I remember you posted often in the OSU forums. Would you mind sharing why you chose OU over OSU?
Got accepted from the waitlist yesterday morning (7:40-ish). Is there an FB group started for the 2019 class?
Wonderful! There should be a link to it on page 3 or 4 of this thread.
Does anyone know when Dr. Baker will trim the waitlist?
Does anyone know when Dr. Baker will trim the waitlist?
I'm sure it changes from year to year so this might not be that helpful, but the year I fell victim to wait list trimming (2013) they did it 2nd week of July.
Z
zfergus1
Does anyone know when Dr. Baker will trim the waitlist?
I got off the waitlist last year on July 27.
Whats the best thing to do if you're on the waitlist right now? ^Do you know what position number you were?
I got off the wait list Aug 6 a few years ago, so don't give up hope! I'm not sure what number I was, but it was at least in the 40s. There's not a lot you can do on the waitlist, so prepare to not get in and just hope for that phone call. Whether that means go to a school you did get in at or make yourself a better applicant for next year or go another rout entirely. Hang in there and I hope you get as fortunate as I did!
Thanks!! I think its slightly different for our class. The last day of notice for us is August first
25 with 4 mcdoes anyone know how many have been taken off the waitlist?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if they are still going to create a final wait list before August 1st, and if so, when they will send that out?
Well following the trend of the past couple of years, I would estimate it to be this week
I emailed Dotty last night, and she said
"We currently have one student holding multiple offers so we have started releasing applicants from the waitlist. We will release a few a week through the month of July."
- Dotty
"We currently have one student holding multiple offers so we have started releasing applicants from the waitlist. We will release a few a week through the month of July."
- Dotty
Release means it's over?
Yes, I believe so. By reading through posts of previous years, I think they probably got an email saying that their account is deactivated.
thats weird that they have 32 still waiting when there is zero mc and little over a week left of notice28 off waitlist. 0 mc
Accepted!!! IS.
Last edited:
stats?Accepted!!! IS.
To all silent stalkers and future creepers, August first passed, and many were not notified of their position. They say it may take another 1-2 weeks. Yay.
ACCEPTED ON AUGUST 6! called and then sent an email.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K