2014 MCAT or 2015 MCAT? I know this has been asked a lot, but I want advice on my situation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krispykreem

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which MCAT to take. I am planning to apply during summer 2016. My GPA is 3.6-3.7, but I am getting good grades and it will probably be in the low 3.7's by the time I apply. I go to a no-name state university.
My ecs include some research, a little bit of shadowing so far (will continue), just starting to hospital volunteer, a couple years of tutoring work experience. Was slightly involved in a sport during freshman year, but nothing professional, I was just taking some classes in it over the year. Not sure if this is an EC, it's more of a hobby because the classes I took were at a rec center, not at school. I will be taking 2 years off after I graduate, so I will be applying after one gap year. I am thinking that right now I just want to focus on academics/research/and saving up money for the MCAT prep/test and applications. I am kind of a junior right now, but I will need next summer to catch up on classes, so I can't do full-time internships in the summer or anything.

I will be taking organic ch. in the summer, the whole sequence, so that I can finish it in time for 2014 MCAT.

But I'm not sure if it's worth it. In this case, I will take a prep class in the fall, and maybe take MCAT in November or December? And if I do bad, retake in January? (I heard they still offer the 2014 one in jan '15).
And then it will sit for 1.5 years until I apply.

I just dont think my application is that strong to be a guinea pig for the new mcat. My application is cookie cutter really. Hopefully it will be more research based though, but other activities are cookie cutter. And plus my attention span is horrible, so that extra hour or two that the new mcat will require might break it for me.

BUT! If I don't get in during the first cycle, then I will reapply the next cycle, and then my MCAT will be 2.5 years old! So idk if that's any good of a risk. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Consider that the MCAT will be offered at september 18(?) at the latest, then again in january.
Darn it. Is January the last time it will be offered? And it wont be offered on sept-dec?