2015-16 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How soon do people start hearing back? Heard rumors that someone in my class got an invite hours after they applied. Not sure if it was PM&R, but just wondering.

I received one PMR interview yesterday.

J4Pac''s 3rd link above gives an estimate of when PMR programs send their first interview invites out.

Good luck everyone.

Long time PM&R message board stalker. Thank you to all (especially J4Pac) for your meaningful posts. Got LSU today.

Reactions: 1 user
Does it show you anywhere on ERAS that a program has downloaded your materials?

me and a friend of mine were offered UVA at 5:30 pm on 9/15

How big of a deal is having a step 2 when you apply? I haven't taken the test yet because of doing audition rotations. Do the top programs prefer you to have a step 2 before they give out invites. My step 1 is over 240. Did just pass my step 2 CS, don't know if programs even care about that.

All right fellow PM&R candidates…I hope we have a great group this year and can assist one another. I also wanted to thank j4pac for being so instrumental regarding the application/interview threads – we all owe a great debt of gratitude to you.

Gamrag: Your step 1 is great and it's good you've gotten CS out of the way. Based on previous years' posts, I doubt lacking a CK score at this point is going to hurt you regarding interview offers. You do, however, want to go ahead and knock it out while things are still fresh from 3rd year and you definitely want your CK score back in order to be ranked. CK isn't easy, so make sure you're well-prepared before you take it.

Last edited:
How big of a deal is having a step 2 when you apply? I haven't taken the test yet because of doing audition rotations. Do the top programs prefer you to have a step 2 before they give out invites. My step 1 is over 240. Did just pass my step 2 CS, don't know if programs even care about that.
I had a high Step 1, so I didn't take Step 2 CK until November. I still got tons of invites, including top programs. Makes me sound like a total douche, I know, but I wanted you to have no doubt!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a DO student. I got a great step 1, over 250, but I never scheduled step 2. I did pass both comlex 1 and 2 though. Score was in the mid 500s for both. Will not having a step 2 hurt my chances at the top programs? I am wondering if I should try to schedule to take step 2, but I have no clue when I can fit it in at this time. How big of a deal is a usmle step 2 score at ranking time? Or is having passed comlex 1 and 2 and PE good enough if you have a high step 1 to start?

I am a DO student. I got a great step 1, over 250, but I never scheduled step 2. I did pass both comlex 1 and 2 though. Score was in the mid 500s for both. Will not having a step 2 hurt my chances at the top programs? I am wondering if I should try to schedule to take step 2, but I have no clue when I can fit it in at this time. How big of a deal is a usmle step 2 score at ranking time? Or is having passed comlex 1 and 2 and PE good enough if you have a high step 1 to start?

The general rule I heard was if you did well on Step 1, there's no point in taking Step 2 prior to interviews--it can only hurt you (if your score drops or somehow you fail). My Step 1 was nowhere near as good as yours and I got a couple interviews at top programs without having a Step 2 score (I did take it at the end of November I think, so I got my score in late December--in time for the rank list, but not in time for it to make a difference in getting an interview).

The fact you passsed Comlex 2 should help as well--if I'm not mistaken, you don't actually need to take Step 2 if you took Comlex 2 right?

Programs use Step 1 to stratify students (since most haven't taken Step 2 by interview time)--Step 2 really only matters in that it can redeem a low score, and programs like to see a passing score by the time they rank you so they know you've passed and will graduate on time (and thus start internship/residency on-time--not starting on-time means the program either has do do without a resident for up to a few months, or find someone to take your place). If you don't need Step 2 to graduate since you've passed Comlex 2, then I don't see any point in taking it.

You could always double-check with programs if you're really concerned--it's possible some have requirements to take both Step 1 and Step 2, but I'm not aware of any.

Honestly, if your Step 1 score is >250, you're likely to get interviews everywhere you apply. The main exception would be if you apply to smaller programs and they think you're "too good" and unlikely to rank them. So if you find that others have received interviews from lower ranked programs and you haven't, and you're genuinely interested in the program--call them and let them know.

Nassau University Medical Center invites went out today.

Could we use this format, just copy & paste with bolding the new programs added? Easier to keep track of.

New York:
Nassau University Medical Center - 9/21
Hofstra North Shore LIJ - 9/21

North Carolina:
EDU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Virginia:
University of VA - 9/15

I haven't heard back from any programs yet. The anxiety is kicking in.

Hi PM&R folks! Made a new profile for interview season. I'm looking forward to meeting all of my future colleagues on the interview trail :)

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Michigan:
Rehab Institute of Michigan/Wayne State - 9/21

New York:

North Carolina:
EDU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Virginia:
University of VA - 9/15

Has anyone heard back from University of Washington? They gave out invites quite early last year

Has anyone heard back from University of Washington? They gave out invites quite early last year

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Michigan:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Virginia:
UVA - 9/15 (Thurs interviews)
VCU - 9/17 (Fri interviews)

Washington
:
University of Washington - 9/16 (Fri interviews)

Last edited:
Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Michigan:

New York:
Albany Medical Center - 9/22 (Wed interviews)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Virginia:

Washington:

Of the places so far, is it only LSU that fully completes invites this early? The rest send more waves out after MSPEs are released and throughout October?

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Michigan:

New York:
Albany Medical Center - 9/22

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

For those interested...I have uploaded a list of questions you may get on your PM&R interview, along with questions to ask residents and staff while on your interview.

Attachments

• Interview questions.xlsx
    15.5 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Michigan:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21
Carolinas - 9/18 (Mon and Fri interviews 11/16-12/18)

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Hey pmr25, just curious if your application to UWash was complete (i.e. all LORs, MPSE etc)?

to be honest, not really

- MSPE goes out Oct
- 2 LoRs (1pmr, waiting on others to upload)
- no step 2

For those interested...I have uploaded a list of questions you may get on your PM&R interview, along with questions to ask residents and staff while on your interview.

hey thanks this is great. seems weird they would ask where else you applied and where you would rank them..?

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Michigan:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

hey thanks this is great. seems weird they would ask where else you applied and where you would rank them..?

I didn't get either question on my trail...and considering that it is a match violation question, I don't think you will get it on yours either. But I at least pondered an answer to the question. The list of questions is pretty extensive and covered about 95% of the questions I saw on the trail last year. There are a few others that were so off the wall and good that I didn't include them on the list. I specifically remember one question asked by a Louisville staff member that I responded by saying, "Damn, that's a good question!"

Think about how you would answer each question...but don't memorize. Your personality and confidence is much more important than the answer you give. You don't want to sound robotic. All of my interviews were benign...PM&R is filled with good folks.

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

New York:
SUNY upstate- 9/23 (Mon/Fri interviews)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18
Case western - 9/23 (mon and fri interviews)

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Indiana:
Indiana University- 9/23 (Wed interviews)

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:
University of Missouri-Columbia- 9/21 (Fri interviews)

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Indiana:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Nassau University Medical Center - 9/21 (Mostly Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Any advice on how to update schools once your application is complete? I submitted without my LORs and I feel like I may have missed out on some programs because they won't be posted until early next week.

Any advice on how to update schools once your application is complete? I submitted without my LORs and I feel like I may have missed out on some programs because they won't be posted until early next week.

Update in ERAS, then notify the program's PCs about the update.

Indiana:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:
Vanderbilt - 9/24 (M/T, or W/Thurs)

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Looks like a lot of programs are giving out interviews. Are programs earlier this year than last year? Washington already gave out their second batch of invites.

How does the first batch of invites differ from the later batches?

Last edited:
If I am supplementing some of my apps now with a 4th letter of rec, is it advised to email those programs to let them know or will they automatically see the updated application when they get the deans letter October 1?

How does the first batch of invites differ from the later batches?

I touched on this in my advice post...

Programs have the ability to SORT applications. The easiest way to sort is by USMLE score. You will see many programs like LSU sending out all of their applications within a week of receiving applications. Are they reviewing every application by the time they start sending out applications two days after they receive them? Heck no. They are sorting by USMLE and other factors and sending out applications. This is also the way that many programs set their exclusion criteria. If you have been rejected from a program early...it is very likely due to not meeting their entrance USMLE requirements.

If you didn't get a first batch application...it means nothing. It likely just means that 1) your USMLE was good enough, but wasn't as applicants in the first batch or 2) the program is finally making their way through actually reading your application, and they like you. But once you get your application, consider yourself on an equal playing field as everyone who gets an application. USMLE is a pretty big part of who gets invites...but it does NOT determine where you will get ranked.

I was in application limbo with Mayo last year until November. I had above average scores...but not elite, which his what you would expect at one of the big 6. I met the program's inclusion criteria and wasn't rejected. I wanted to go to Mayo, so I asked the program to notify me if someone cancels. There was a cancellation two days and I was on my way to Rochester. They apparently liked me enough on the interview for me to match at the program.

If I can match without an interview invite...you can match with a second batch interview.