2015-16 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my confirmation earlier today for Cleveland clinic

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo!!!!

Florida:
Miami/Jackson Memorial - 9/28 (Fri)

Illinois:
Loyola-10/2

Indiana:
Indiana University- 9/23 (Wed interviews)

Kansas:
KU-10/5

Kentucky:
University of Louisville. Notified 9/28 (Mon & Fri)

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore - 10/1 (Tues interviews)

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:
Rehab Institute of Michigan/Wayne State - 9/21

Minnesota:
Mayo - 10/7

Missouri:
University of Missouri-Columbia- 9/21 (Fri interviews)
Washington University - 10/2 (Thurs & Fri)

New York:
Albany Medical Center - 9/22 (Wed)
Hofstra North Shore LIJ - 9/21
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Nassau University Medical Center - 9/21 (Mostly Fri)
New York Medical College (Metro) 10/5 (Fri Interviews)
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5
SUNY Upstate- 9/23 (Mon/Fri interviews)
Montefiore/Einstein. Notified 10/6 (Mon only)

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21
Carolinas - 9/18 (Mon and Fri interviews 11/16-12/18)

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18
Case western - 9/23 (mon and fri interviews)
Cleveland clinic- Notified 9/29

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPMC - 9/25 (mostly Thurs)
UPenn - 10/2
Thomas Jefferson - 10/6 (select W 10/14-1/6)

Tennessee:
Vanderbilt - 9/24 (M/T, or W/Thurs)

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22
UT Southwestern - 9/28 (Wed and Fri)

Virginia:
UVA - 9/15 (Thurs interviews)
VCU - 9/17 (Fri interviews)

Washington:
University of Washington - 9/16 (Fri interviews)

Wisconsin:
Medical College of Wisconsin - 9/29 (Mon, Fri interviews)
University of Wisconsin - 10/02

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my confirmation earlier today for Cleveland clinic

I sent Cleveland Clinic an email today and they confirmed my interview date. If you got an invite but no response yet, I think it's appropriate to email them now.

Florida:

Georgia:
Emory - 10/7

Illinois:
Loyola-10/2

Indiana:

Kansas:
KU-10/5

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Minnesota:
Mayo - 10/7

Missouri:

New York:
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

What is the best strategy and timing for contacting programs that have already sent their first batch of interviews? I am thinking 10/15 would be a good date to start contacting program coordinators, any advice would be appreciated

Florida:

Georgia:
Emory - 10/7

Illinois:
Loyola-10/2

Indiana:

Kansas:
KU-10/5

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Minnesota:
Mayo - 10/7

Missouri:

New York:
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21
UNC Chapel Hill - 10/8 (select Mon and Fri interviews 11/2 - 12/11)

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Anyone else monitoring this thread that hasn't gotten a single invite yet? Or should I start to worry?

Anyone else monitoring this thread that hasn't gotten a single invite yet? Or should I start to worry?

I would double check your ERAS application to make sure everything is submitted. I know a few people at my school had not submitted their USMLE scores until recently. How many programs have you applied to? If your application doesn't have any red flags (failed courses or failed board exams) it's simply a matter of patience. It is still early and I have spoken to past applicants who have not heard from programs until late October and early November.

What is the best strategy and timing for contacting programs that have already sent their first batch of interviews? I am thinking 10/15 would be a good date to start contacting program coordinators, any advice would be appreciated

I have been told that program coordinators should not be contacted until 10/15. I would also double check this thread to make sure that the program in question has indeed sent out interviews before reaching out.

I spoke to a handful of programs, and it seems like every program is on a different interviewing track. Most programs are starting a little later this year especially with the AAPMR Conference that just happened, and they are still in the middle of reviewing applications. Based on last year's applicants, most of the interviews were sent out mid to late October, so I wouldn't worry too much yet!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know which specific UTSW program (Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) sent offers on 09/28?

how many programs did you apply to?

Wait list at MCW just to let you guys know.

Has anyone received interviews as part of the second wave of invites for anywhere? Trying to get a feel for when that actually starts happening

Has anyone received interviews as part of the second wave of invites for anywhere? Trying to get a feel for when that actually starts happening

I looked at the previous years post and it looks like mid October the second wave starts but I'm hoping that j4pac can weigh in if he has time.
Did you get an email/call stating that you were on a wail list? I haven't received a response from many of the programs (no rejection or wait list or even confirmation that application is under review :0/ ).

I got an invite to UTSW yesterday so I think it was part of the second wave.

how many programs did you apply to?
I applied to about 40 programs. Average stats. Nontraditional us applicant. I guess I'll just sit tight and pray! I'll worry at the end of the month.

I looked at the previous years post and it looks like mid October the second wave starts but I'm hoping that j4pac can weigh in if he has time.
Did you get an email/call stating that you were on a wail list? I haven't received a response from many of the programs (no rejection or wait list or even confirmation that application is under review :0/ ).

If a program has sent out waitlist or rejections...and you remain in limbo (no invite, rejection, or waitlist)...there is a high likelihood that you are rejected. If you fall into this boat, and trust me...practically all of you will at some point...there is still potential to get an interview from the program. If you really are interested in the program, email the PC informing them of your interest in their program and to notify you if there is a cancellation. Even if the program has a waitlist, very few programs are going to be obsessing over inviting candidates off of their waitlist on short notice after a cancellation. If your timing is right...you can land an invite.

Very few programs send out rejections...and even fewer have a waitlist. I applied to 48 programs. I was invited to 15. Rejected from 8. Waitlisted at 1 program (later rejected). I got waitlisted by a program by enquiring...no question I would have gotten the spot if I would have enquired sooner. I was able to get one invite by enquiring. Two programs told me thanks by no thanks...rejected by enquiring.

So...that leaves 21 programs that I remained in limbo for until the season closed. Expect to see that. Many programs will not send out rejections or waitlists.

When should you enquire about cancellations? Not too soon. Ideally you would do it after a batch of rejections/waitlists. Do not enquire if you have been rejected by a program...only for the programs that you are in limbo for. I would say late November is a good time to think about contacting programs. December is when candidates start to cancellation because they are either running out of time, energy, or money...or feel good with the current number of invites to match. Please don't email blast every PC. If everyone did this...the strategy would lose its effectiveness because PCs would get overwhelmed. Only email the programs that you are sincerely interested in.

They sent an email stating there was a high number of strong applications and said I was being placed on the wait list. That was basically it. I emailed back saying I was interested in specific dates if openings happened to come up.

first rejection for me from Schwab/U Chicago (10/9)

They sent an email stating there was a high number of strong applications and said I was being placed on the wait list. That was basically it. I emailed back saying I was interested in specific dates if openings happened to come up.

I would probably not list dates going forward. Here's my reasoning...if the program knows you have restrictions on when you can attend interviews, they may get the wrong impression and think that you aren't serious about the interview. If you're a waitlist guy who apparently has other programs higher on your list...and there's another waitlist guy who really wants to get the invite at any cost...who do you think is going to get the interview?

I would leave it at..."thank you for consideration. I remain very interested in your program and would love for the ability to interview if given the opportunity. I will make myself available on short notice."

Anyone heard back from Hopkins? The email said we should have confirmation by Oct. 8 (yesterday).
Also, any luck with scheduling PGY-1 Interviews with Hopkins? I never even got a reply from the contact.

Anyone heard back from Hopkins? The email said we should have confirmation by Oct. 8 (yesterday).
Also, any luck with scheduling PGY-1 Interviews with Hopkins? I never even got a reply from the contact.

mine said Oct 7 but nothing here either

Received UPMC today, assuming that is second wave since original was 9/25. Offered 5 dates

I would probably not list dates going forward. Here's my reasoning...if the program knows you have restrictions on when you can attend interviews, they may get the wrong impression and think that you aren't serious about the interview. If you're a waitlist guy who apparently has other programs higher on your list...and there's another waitlist guy who really wants to get the invite at any cost...who do you think is going to get the interview?

I would leave it at..."thank you for consideration. I remain very interested in your program and would love for the ability to interview if given the opportunity. I will make myself available on short notice."

That makes sense. The reason I did is because the PC gave the available interview dates and said to respond back with ones that'd work with my schedule. Regardless, you are probably correct in how they view that response, and I should have just said all of them. Thanks for the tip. Live and learn

Thanks!

Last edited:

Also haven't heard anything from either the PGY-1 coordinator or the PM&R program.

Nope, no responses for me yet either. I did send a follow-up email to the PM&R coordinator today since the invitation specifically mentioned October 8. No reply, I assume they're just super busy right now.

Nope, no responses for me yet either. I did send a follow-up email to the PM&R coordinator today since the invitation specifically mentioned October 8. No reply, I assume they're just super busy right now.
Same here.

Hi all. I've been offered 4 interviews so far (Nassau, Albany, SUNY Upstate, and Case Western/MetroHealth). Haven't heard anything for a few days. Should I be concerned? I've read in different places that most candidates will need to rank at least 9-10 programs to have a decent chance of matching in PM&R.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. Applied to 40, have interviews at 4. Really hoping for at LEAST 2 more to feel sorta ok about the match. 10 total would be even better. *fingers crossed*

I had 5 interviews at this point last year...ended up with 15. My midway point was in early mid November.

The past few years half the programs get their first batch out around mid October. So I'm willing to bet that the half way point for all invites occurred around early-mid November.

I think you will be fine with 3-4 invites right now. Should end up with 10-13.

Reactions: 1 users
I had 5 interviews at this point last year...ended up with 15. My midway point was in early mid November.

The past few years half the programs get their first batch out around mid October. So I'm willing to bet that the half way point for all invites occurred around early-mid November.

I think you will be fine with 3-4 invites right now. Should end up with 10-13.

Thanks j4pac. This is really reassuring.

Yeah, that makes me feel a little better. Still hate waiting but we'll see what happens next week...

If you think that this is bad...wait until February and March. My advice...yoga, biofeedback, and massage.

Reactions: 2 users

I haven't heard back from the PM&R or the prelim either!

Florida:

Georgia:
Emory - 10/7

Illinois:
Loyola-10/2

Indiana:

Kansas:
KU-10/5

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Minnesota:
Mayo - 10/7

Missouri:

New York:
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22
UT Health Science Center Houston- 10/9 (Friday interviews)

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Interview offer at UT Houston!!

Things are getting real.

Last edited:
Long time follower. First post. Thank you all for your efforts and information.

Florida:

Georgia:
Emory - 10/7

Illinois:
Loyola-10/2

Indiana:

Kansas:
KU-10/5

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Minnesota:
Mayo - 10/7

Missouri:

New York:
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)
Rutgers New Jersey/Kessler- 10/9 (Wed/Fri Interviews)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22
UT Health Science Center Houston- 10/9 (Friday interviews)

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Last edited:
So looks like Baylor houston and UT houston are no longer a joint program. Anybody know what this entails for future residents going forwards?

Also, on a somewhat related note--don't stop checking your email on the weekends. I received news of my Nassau invite on a Saturday, and of my Case Western invite on a Sunday. Not sure how common this is, but apparently it happens. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way, and because I didn't respond to my Nassau invite until Sunday evening, my interview was pushed back from November to January.

I've heard that Baylor and UTH split this year and will be two separate residencies. Not sure about all the details, but that is what an attending who trained there a few years ago told me. Residents from both programs always covered the same hospitals and did the same thing. So I would assume that won't change. Definitely something to ask about when you're there. I heard the reason for the split was "politics".

I've heard that Baylor and UTH split this year and will be two separate residencies. Not sure about all the details, but that is what an attending who trained there a few years ago told me. Residents from both programs always covered the same hospitals and did the same thing. So I would assume that won't change. Definitely something to ask about when you're there. I heard the reason for the split was "politics".
I heard the same.

Seems like RIC hasn't made the move yet. Most of the other major programs have all sent out at least one wave of invites. Wonder why they are so slow. More invites please!

Also, anyone have any insider info on kessler? I've heard some say it is a very stressful place to work as a resident. Any truth to that?

Can anyone explain how the application to a program that has a categorical and advanced program work? Can they tell when you apply if you chose one or both on ERAS? Do you have to let them know what program you are applying for during your interview? And how do you rank for match? Can you put #1 categorical #2 advanced?

Can anyone explain how the application to a program that has a categorical and advanced program work? Can they tell when you apply if you chose one or both on ERAS? Do you have to let them know what program you are applying for during your interview? And how do you rank for match? Can you put #1 categorical #2 advanced?

The way I understand it, I think they know if you've applied to just one or both advanced and categorical, but it doesn't come into play until ranking programs. And I think you're correct in that if you really want a single program, you can rank them 1 and 2 and increase the chances of ending up there. Someone can correct me or add to it if I'm missing something here.