2015-16 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think it also depends on completeness of application? I have Step 1 >235 and Step 2 >250 and haven't heard back from most of the programs that offer early invites. I am US allopathic. I am wondering if some of it has to do with not having LORs yet. I am disappointed but I should have worked harder to have those in on the 15th.

Members don't see this ad.

Indiana:
Indiana University- 9/23 (Wed interviews)

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:
Rehab Institute of Michigan/Wayne State - 9/21

Missouri:
University of Missouri-Columbia- 9/21 (Fri interviews)

New York:
SUNY Upstate- 9/23 (Mon/Fri interviews)
Albany Medical Center - 9/22 (Wed)
Hofstra North Shore LIJ - 9/21
Nassau University Medical Center - 9/21 (Mostly Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21
Carolinas - 9/18 (Mon and Fri interviews 11/16-12/18)

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18
Case western - 9/23 (mon and fri interviews)

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPMC - 9/25 (mostly Thurs)

Tennessee:
Vanderbilt - 9/24 (M/T, or W/Thurs)

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:
UVA - 9/15 (Thurs interviews)
VCU - 9/17 (Fri interviews)

Washington:
University of Washington - 9/16 (Fri interviews)

Do you think it also depends on completeness of application? I have Step 1 >235 and Step 2 >250 and haven't heard back from most of the programs that offer early invites. I am US allopathic. I am wondering if some of it has to do with not having LORs yet. I am disappointed but I should have worked harder to have those in on the 15th.

Keep in mind that the season is still very young. Many programs haven't even gotten started with sending out apps and even fewer have issues all of its apps. According to charting outcomes, a specialty LOR was the 2nd most important ingredient to issuance of invites (over Step 2...which yours is very good by the way). So I'm not going to say that it's not important...because it is. Your file could be a hold pending your LOR for some programs. It's encouraging if you aren't being outright rejected.

I'm sure it is anxiety provoking, but there really isn't anything you can do about the situation other than do your best to ensure the LORs get done and submitted...then notifying programs about the update.

Members don't see this ad :)
j4pac you are awesome. thank you. i applied to 30 programs, have interviews at 3 so far. At what point would you suggest sending out more applications? I am thinking maybe by Oct 15 if I don't have at least 10 interviews lined up?

j4pac you are awesome. thank you. i applied to 30 programs, have interviews at 3 so far. At what point would you suggest sending out more applications? I am thinking maybe by Oct 15 if I don't have at least 10 interviews lined up?

Last year the half way mark was about 15 Oct. By this time last year I only had one invite (received on 24 Sept by Thomas Jefferson). I ended up 15 invites (not including Mayo, which I got by inquiring about open spots).

My advice would be to chillax! I generally wouldn't recommend any less than 40 applications unless you are truly a stellar applicant. We had an applicant here last year who got invited to 20/20 programs. She was likely in the top 1% of applicants last year...so I wouldn't use her as the rule.

Last edited:
Really love your advice on these boards j4pac.

But how do you have so much time to post? Don't they work you hard at Mayo?

Really love your advice on these boards j4pac.

But how do you have so much time to post? Don't they work you hard at Mayo?

lol. I'm not at Mayo yet. I already completed a PGY-1 year, so I will be starting my PGY-2 next year. I'm currently working a 7-4 fast paced military clinic. But I do get admin time on certain days. I plan to be far less available next year around this time, but I'll still try to check when I get the time.

Reactions: 1 user
I touched on this in my advice post...

I was in application limbo with Mayo last year until November. I had above average scores...but not elite, which his what you would expect at one of the big 6. I met the program's inclusion criteria and wasn't rejected. I wanted to go to Mayo, so I asked the program to notify me if someone cancels. There was a cancellation two days and I was on my way to Rochester. They apparently liked me enough on the interview for me to match at the program.
Thanks for all of the helpful information j4pac. It's been just over a week since ERAS opened so it makes sense that there's no way the programs could have gone through all of our applications. We are all still in the running.

Just curious -- when you reached out to Mayo in November, did you email the PD directly or the PC?

Thanks for all of the helpful information j4pac. It's been just over a week since ERAS opened so it makes sense that there's no way the programs could have gone through all of our applications. We are all still in the running.

Just curious -- when you reached out to Mayo in November, did you email the PD directly or the PC?

I can't speak for j4pac, but I asked Mayo (and a few other programs) the same thing. I spoke with the coordinator (I would recommend against calling/e-mailing the director, unless you know them, but we'll see what j4pac says in regards to his experience) and asked them about the status of my application. In a few cases, including Mayo, I was told I was on the interview invite wait-list. I thanked the coordinator and let them know how interested I was in the program and that if they did have any last minute cancellations, I'd be able to come with x-amount of notice (I told Mayo one day was all I needed--I just needed enough to call another program to cancel if dates conflicted, and then I was less than a day's drive away).

Mayo called me after someone cancelled about 2 or 3 days prior to the interview date and I went up to interview. Some people feel like last minute cancellations may mean a program isn't that interested in you, but the fact that j4pac matched at Mayo is proof that last-minute additions are very much still seriously looked at.

I just looked back at my emails. It was the first week of December.

Keep an eye out for the programs that have issued both invites and rejections, and you remain in limbo. Could be that they would like to interview you but they have already issued all their invites.

Never email/call a PD. Email the PC expressing your interest and asking to be notified if there is a cancellation after knowing the program has issued invites and rejections, and you haven't received either. Keep in mind that cancellations are pretty rare early, and much more common late. People will start running out of money and energy...and people will also start making up their minds and they have enough invites to match somewhere they like.

PCs are generally incredibly helpful, but they are also very busy. Don't waste their time with asking them to notify you if spots open up unless you have them near the top of your list.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks j4pac. I can verify that programs do look at applications in batches, and that the first batch is not necessarily those who will be ranked the highest. Also the first bath may simply be those who have all their stuff in first.

My program will look at scores but will have read your PS, looked at your grades and read letters before you get an interview invite. This explains why some people with really high scores may get an interview and those with higher ones may or may not. Being well rounded and having a grasp on why you love PM&R is important!

Also the AAPM&R national meeting is this week and may delay the review of some applications until next week. Also some programs will wait for the MSPE (Dean's Letters) before offering all of their interview spots. Waiting for the MSPE helps evaluate those who may have good scores but sub-par grades or letters that didn't help a ton.

Indiana:

Kentucky:
University of Louisville. Notified 9/28 (Mon & Fri)
Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Florida:
Miami/Jackson Memorial - 9/28 (Fri)

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22
UT Southwestern - 9/28 (Wed and Fri)

Virginia:

Washington:

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Rochester - 9/28

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

We had an applicant here last year who got invited to 20/20 programs. She was likely in the top 1% of applicants last year...so I wouldn't use her as the rule.

is she the one that ended up choosing Miami?

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Rochester - 9/28

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Can anyone swap a JFK interview with me? I would love to get 10/20. Thanks

So I have 2 LORs now but I am wondering if I should wait to see what happens when MSPE posts before contacting PCs. I have heard some schools don't even re-check apps after MSPE so maybe it is worth notifying that I updated my app. Any thoughts?

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Rochester - 9/28

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:
Medical College of Wisconsin - 9/29 (Mon, Fri interviews)

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Rochester - 9/28

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18
Cleveland clinic- Notified 9/29

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Cleveland Clinic's first PMR class is july 2016. Its a big name, but is it a big red flag that its a brand new program?

Cleveland Clinic's first PMR class is july 2016. Its a big name, but is it a big red flag that its a brand new program?

I wouldn't call it a red flag...but it's something that you are going to have to consider. I would learn as much as you can about the chair and PD. Do they have any experience with residency programs? What are their plans for the residency program? Why open a residency program with Case Western in town? What niche do they fill? Rotation sites? Do any of the attendings have experience teaching?

Every program wants to claim that it is well rounded...but there are definitely strengths and weaknesses of programs. Baylor for instance...may be as good as it gets for inpatient. Mayo on the other hand...elite outpatient exposure, especially if your into ultrasound guided injections. Where does the Cleveland clinic see itself on that spectrum? And does the residency have the resources (money, equipment, patient types, and attendings) to accomplish it? They are all questions I would ask the PD and Chair.

In many ways, if you rank the program...you are going to be buying the chair and PD...because everything you know about the program will come from them. You won't be able to benefit from talking to residents. You will be by yourself as a PGY-2...so you won't get the benefit of having senior residents to speak with while in residency. Cleveland Clinic has a great name...but there is no resident network...so I think that nullifies the name a bit.

Would I rank a new program highly? Yes...but I really do have to buy in to the program and chair/PD. Would I rank it over one of the more renown programs with a strong track record of being a strong residency? Probably not...but you are going to have to decide that for yourself.

I wouldn't call it a red flag...but it's something that you are going to have to consider. I would learn as much as you can about the chair and PD. Do they have any experience with residency programs? What are their plans for the residency program? Why open a residency program with Case Western in town? What niche do they fill? Rotation sites? Do any of the attendings have experience teaching?

Every program wants to claim that it is well rounded...but there are definitely strengths and weaknesses of programs. Baylor for instance...may be as good as it gets for inpatient. Mayo on the other hand...elite outpatient exposure, especially if your into ultrasound guided injections. Where does the Cleveland clinic see itself on that spectrum? And does the residency have the resources (money, equipment, patient types, and attendings) to accomplish it? They are all questions I would ask the PD and Chair.

In many ways, if you rank the program...you are going to be buying the chair and PD...because everything you know about the program will come from them. You won't be able to benefit from talking to residents. You will be by yourself as a PGY-2...so you won't get the benefit of having senior residents to speak with while in residency. Cleveland Clinic has a great name...but there is no resident network...so I think that nullifies the name a bit.

Would I rank a new program highly? Yes...but I really do have to buy in to the program and chair/PD. Would I rank it over one of the more renown programs with a strong track record of being a strong residency? Probably not...but you are going to have to decide that for yourself.
Thanks so much for the perspective I really appreciate it

Hi PM&R folks! Made a new profile for interview season. I'm looking forward to meeting all of my future colleagues on the interview trail :)

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Michigan:

New York:
Nassau University Medical Center - 9/21

North Carolina:
EDU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Virginia:
University of VA - 9/15

As a PM&R Program Coordinator, don't be concerned if you have yet to hear from a program you have applied to. Some programs send out a few initial invites, but then the majority of them come after the national meeting that is happening right now in Boston. Since the MSPE's were only available online as of today, 10/1, many program wait until they can review the full package before sending out invites to interview!

Also, it is VERY helpful if before you actually apply, you have all of your info to upload at one time. It's especially important that you have your USMLE and COMLEX scores in the initial upload, as well as a PM&R letter! Programs will put you as an incomplete application and you will be looked at later in the process rather than first thing.
Hopefully this information is of some help to you and future applicants!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone received a confirmation of interview date or hotel room status from ECU/Vidant yet? I responded to the invitation a few days ago and haven't gotten a response, not sure if the ERAS inbox is untrustworthy or if I'm just neurotic.

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore - 10/1 (Tues interviews)

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Rochester - 9/28

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Has anyone received a confirmation of interview date or hotel room status from ECU/Vidant yet? I responded to the invitation a few days ago and haven't gotten a response, not sure if the ERAS inbox is untrustworthy or if I'm just neurotic.
Yes, I received confirmation after messaging them through eras. But I contacted them again recently and they havent replied so they seem swamped.

I received a reply the same day a few weeks ago, but its AAPMR Conference started today so I'd assume a low response rate this week. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!

I have a few questions for anyone that can answer them.

1. I'm interested in the MSU program however I am an MD student. Has anyone heard how many MD spots are open this year?
2. Which programs in the Midwest are most well-known for MSK, sports and outpatient pm&r?
3. How competitive are the programs in Michigan? I know UofM is pretty competitive but what about Wayne state, Beaumont?

Thanks so much & good luck to everyone!

First rejection for me.
Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University Program -10/2

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:
Washington University - 10/2 (Thurs & Fri)

New York:
Rochester - 9/28

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Rochester - 9/28
Kingsbrook - 9/30

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - Advanced 10/2 (11/1 (AM/PM Group) 11/14(AM/PM Group))

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Rochester - 9/28
Kingsbrook - 9/30

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Last edited:
Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Rochester - 9/28
Kingsbrook - 9/30

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:
University of Wisconsin - 10/02

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
New York Medical College (Metro) 10/5 (Fri Interviews)
Rochester - 9/28
Kingsbrook - 9/30

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Florida:

Indiana:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Florida:

Illinois:
Loyola-10/2

Indiana:

Kansas:
KU-10/5

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Hello everyone!

Has anyone received confirmation of their Cleveland Clinic interview date? It has been almost a week since my reply to them and I am worried about the dates filling. Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Has anyone received confirmation of their Cleveland Clinic interview date? It has been almost a week since my reply to them and I am worried about the dates filling. Thanks!
I got a confirmation email today, and I responded to the invitation last week as well. Hopefully that means yours will be coming in the next couple of days, too :)

Florida:

Illinois:
Loyola-10/2

Indiana:

Kansas:
KU-10/5

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2
Thomas Jefferson - 10/6 (select W 10/14-1/6)

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Florida:

Illinois:
Loyola-10/2

Indiana:

Kansas:
KU-10/5

Kentucky:

Louisiana:
LSU - 9/17

Maryland:
Johns Hopkins - 10/2

Massachusetts:
Harvard/Spaulding - 9/23

Michigan:

Missouri:

New York:
Kingsbrook - 9/30
Rochester - 9/28
Stony Brook - 10/5
Montefiore/Einstein. Notified 10/6 (Mon only)

New Jersey:
JFK- 9/28 (Tue/ Fri)

North Carolina:
ECU/Vidant - 9/21

Ohio:
Ohio State - 9/18

Pennsylvania:
Penn State - 9/22
Temple/Moss Rehab - 9/23
UPenn - 10/2
Thomas Jefferson - 10/6 (select W 10/14-1/6)

Tennessee:

Texas:
Baylor (Houston) - 9/22

Virginia:

Washington:

Wisconsin:

Hello everyone!

When are you guys planning to contact them? I replied as soon as I got it last week and still havent received a confirmation

I'm not sure when would be the best time to contact them but FYI I received a response yesterday (alapacacorn posted they responded to him on 10/5) so they may be going through and responding in order of interview date. Hope that helps...

Contacting program coordinators is OK. It has to be done appropriately...respectfully and efficiently. If you get the answering machine...only leave one message. After a week, you better believe I'm calling the coordinator. Don't harass them and you'll be fine.