2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we wait for the TD's to call us right?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got off the phone with my TD. It's real!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I have info on the counseling centers at SIU and Indiana, if anyone is planning on applying there.

Also anyone else match to a counseling center in Tennessee? PM me! We might be cohort mates :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can someone who did not apply this year see a list of the sites in phase II?

we wait for the TD's to call us right?

Yes, they should call you sometime today. I remember mine called me around 12pm EST (so have your cells handy). I was so giddy that I probably sounded like a teenager, but thank goodness we only spent a few minutes on the phone and my TD just briefly gave me the plan of when they'd be back in touch.

Reactions: 1 users
Many thanks to those who shared words of encouragement with those of us who did not match. In Phase I, I applied to 13 sites, some with multiple tracks. I would appreciate any advice on how many sites to apply to in Phase II. 15 - 16, the median number of sites for phase I?

Yes, they should call you sometime today. I remember mine called me around 12pm EST (so have your cells handy). I was so giddy that I probably sounded like a teenager, but thank goodness we only spent a few minutes on the phone and my TD just briefly gave me the plan of when they'd be back in touch.
if no one calls, should I call?

I don't think you need to. I'm at an internship site right now and we just found out who the names were. We're all sooo excited but our training director was called in for an emergency and has not made a call. I think things just pop up but they should call you.

I don't think you need to. I'm at an internship site right now and we just found out who the names were. We're all sooo excited but our training director was called in for an emergency and has not made a call. I think things just pop up but they should call you.
ok so it doesnt mean they changed their minds:) ?

ok so it doesnt mean they changed their minds:) ?
hahhaha! I remember feeling that way, feeling like if I didn't get a phone call then that means they forgot me or the match was a mistake. But you have the match result right there in writing! I mean, they should definitely contact you by the end of the day. If not, you can always send an email or call. Butttt most likely that they are busy with something and are excited to call you later today.

For those still waiting on calls, I'm pretty sure my call didn't come in until 1-2 pm central time. Be patient!

Also, congrats to all who have made it this far! For those who did not match, best of luck to the next step :)

Hi folks, I'm wondering whether I should post a request for advice in its own thread or whether it should appear here.

I didn't match, so my primary question is how internship programs would react to seeing a re-application from me next year, especially highly competitive, research-oriented sites.

Personal specifics: I got eight interviews out of 14 applications at excellent sites (Mass General CBT track, MUSC, Brown, VA Palo Alto, etc.), and I loved (almost) all of them. I don't want to "settle"--my heart is now set on going to an awesome site that will set me up for a research postdoc and an academic or VA research career, and preferably one that will look good on my CV (which is frivolous, but I do think it affects the way people perceive you). But I'm wondering whether such sites would be alarmed at seeing my name again next year, making it more efficient for me to give up on that dream and apply to sites that are less researchy. I'm strong research applicant (at least 11 peer-reviewed pubs and an F31) and a weak clinical applicant (700 hours, mostly in an in-house clinic and a university counseling center, without the quality of behavioral training that I'd like).

I will be applying for Phase II, but only three positions on the Phase II list are jumping out at me as appealing at all (UCSF, UCSD/San Diego VA, and VA Maryland/University of Maryland consortium). But I'd be happy to hear of recommendations for any of the other Phase II sites that would set me up for a kickass research career.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi folks, I'm wondering whether I should post a request for advice in its own thread or whether it should appear here.

I didn't match, so my primary question is how internship programs would react to seeing a re-application from me next year, especially highly competitive, research-oriented sites.

Personal specifics: I got eight interviews out of 14 applications at excellent sites (Mass General CBT track, MUSC, Brown, VA Palo Alto, etc.), and I loved (almost) all of them. I don't want to "settle"--my heart is now set on going to an awesome site that will set me up for a research postdoc and an academic or VA research career, and preferably one that will look good on my CV (which is frivolous, but I do think it affects the way people perceive you). But I'm wondering whether such sites would be alarmed at seeing my name again next year, making it more efficient for me to give up on that dream and apply to sites that are less researchy. I'm strong research applicant (at least 11 peer-reviewed pubs and an F31) and a weak clinical applicant (700 hours, mostly in an in-house clinic and a university counseling center, without the quality of behavioral training that I'd like).

I will be applying for Phase II, but only three positions on the Phase II list are jumping out at me as appealing at all (UCSF, UCSD/San Diego VA, and VA Maryland/University of Maryland consortium). But I'd be happy to hear of recommendations for any of the other Phase II sites that would set me up for a kickass research career.

Not sure what your area of interest is in research, but I noticed Alabama-Birmingham on there and Mississippi Medical Center, which are both pretty large southern research sites. Not on the level of some of the others you mentioned, but they are worth taking a look at.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was so exhausted that I was making basic grammatical mistakes. I still wonder if my TD got off of the phone and thought "oof, that's our future intern." Although, I imagine that's really common. At least I wasn't drunk!

I don't think sites would be alarmed at all and I'd encourage you to reapply. I know you hear this a lot and it may not seem true, but often sites are really torn between who to interview and what order to rank people in, so your not matching doesn't mean that those sites didn't want you. But also, IMO, it won't hurt you to do internship at a less research-y site with your credentials. I did my internship at a research-friendly VA, wasn't involved in any research on internship, and I still landed a research postdoc at one of the sites you listed above. I haven't seen any of the Phase II site list, but I would look at research-friendly sites (I mean sites that have active research going on and offer protected research time).

Last edited:

This is more of a general answer, as I'm not very research oriented and sites I applied to weren't either. However, this year I had two interviews at the same sites I interviewed last year. I worried it would be a red flag or awkward if I reapplied to sites from the year before. But at the interviews this year, both TD's told me "good to see you again" and "I was excited to see your application this year" when I came for interview day. I think TDs know the system is flawed so I say reapply if you feel like it's a good fit! Good luck!

This is just my 2 cents from talking to faculty who are currently in tenure track positions, but the name of the internship site (at least when speaking to recently hired faculty at an RO1) doesn't really seem to matter that much. In fact, I know of 2 specific sites on the current phase II list in which one person I know is now at a fantastic tenure-track faculty position at a research university that's pretty prestigious. There's another site on there where one individual I know matched there and ended up at a prestigious and very research-oriented post doc. If you want the name of the sites, feel free to PM me. Neither of those sites were "huge" names, but left a generous amount of time (at least for an internship site) to do research.

I think, at least from what I'm hearing about faculty positions at universities, is that these places are way more interested in seeing a productive research record, which it sounds like you have (great job!). Again, this is just my 2 cents, but one idea might be (provided you have papers/projects of your own you could work on during the internship year) is to look at some of the sites in phase II that although they may not be known for research (and/or may also not offer you research resources), offer you the time to get some of your own research out. I'm not personally interested in a tenure track position, but am interested in a career that involves research. As a result, I actually ended up ranking more prestigious sites lower than some lesser-known ones because I knew a 60 hour work week (even if it had 4-8 hours of research time) would be way less time to conduct research than a 40 hour work week (with no research time).

Going through the list of phase 2 sites and seeing that some indicate that they are specifically affiliated with certain doctoral programs, I am wondering if this still stands for phase 2 or are they now accepting applicants from other programs. Does anyone know? Thanks!

You should re-apply. I re-applied to a few sites I interviewed at and was invited for interviews again. This will be your friend http://www.appic.org/Match/APPIC-Match-Phase-II/Phase-II-News

Going through the list of phase 2 sites and seeing that some indicate that they are specifically affiliated with certain doctoral programs, I am wondering if this still stands for phase 2 or are they now accepting applicants from other programs. Does anyone know? Thanks!

I believe that the sites open up to all applicants. From what I recall last year, sites should send out mini-descriptions about their sites. That will answer your question for sure

Last edited:
I did get my phone call :)

also, can anyone who interviewed or has experience with the following sites PM me? It's for a friend going to Phase 2. Thanks!

Child and Family Guidance Center
City: Northridge
Director: Susan Hall-Marley PhD
Telephone: (818) 739-5344
Email:[email protected]
APA Accreditation: Accredited
APPIC Member:Yes

Children's Institute, Inc.
City: Los Angeles
Director: George Bermudez, PhD
Telephone: (213) 385-5100 EXT 8177
Email:[email protected]
APA Accreditation: Accredited
APPIC Member:Yes

I know the brunt of people on this board are American but if there's anybody here curious about the Canadian options in Phase II, let me know if I can help! I'm familiar with quite a few of them.

I

I interviewed at both the Baltimore VA and Univ of Maryland SOM for their SPMI Adult tracks. Both are extremely rigorous sites and I am shocked they didn't fill those positions. Both would definitely set you up for a research career. I ranked both as 2nd and 3rd and even though I got my 1st choice I kinda secretly wanted to go to those sites! (But, am still happy with my #1.) good luck with those sites - they are fantastic and very highly regarded.

I

I interviewed at both the Baltimore VA and Univ of Maryland SOM for their SPMI Adult tracks. Both are extremely rigorous sites and I am shocked they didn't fill those positions. Both would definitely set you up for a research career. I ranked both as 2nd and 3rd and even though I got my 1st choice I kinda secretly wanted to go to those sites! (But, am still happy with my #1.) good luck with those sites - they are fantastic and very highly regarded.

and the site is a PCSAS member!

Does anyone know why FSU's counseling center has four open spots? I'm very surprised, as it's a great program. Seems unlikely that they couldn't match to a single position during Phase I.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see that a site that I ranked higher than the site I ended up matched to ended up in phase II. That means that that place didn't rank me, which is sort of shocking to me because I thought I did such a good job. I was the only person who they interviewed who bothered to go to their open house....
While your interpretation could be sound, there can be other options: the site may restrict number of interns from the same school or (not sure if this can happen but it seems possible), additional funding after ranks went in meant offering positions in Match II. In either case, you matched and the fit will probably be right for you

This may be jumping the gun, but now that the match is over, I started to look at post-docs for next next year lol. I searched on the APPIC directory for post-docs in 4 states and only 18 total sites came up (I didn't even specify accredited sites). Why is that, that so few post doc positions are listed on there? How do we find post-docs other than the portal? Off topic, I know, but just thinking ahead here lol...

I second Mississipi Medicam Center/VA. That's a very research heavy site (yeah location kinda sucks but it's excellent training). The Alabama site is also good. I think you have enough good research sites that it would be worth going through Phase 2. You will stand out to those sites because they do look for research people. You can always not rank and withdraw if you are unhappy with the sites. I really don't think you have much to lose. I'll take a second look and see if other sites jump out. I remember seeing lots of VAs but none of research powerhouses.

This may be jumping the gun, but now that the match is over, I started to look at post-docs for next next year lol. I searched on the APPIC directory for post-docs in 4 states and only 18 total sites came up (I didn't even specify accredited sites). Why is that, that so few post doc positions are listed on there? How do we find post-docs other than the portal? Off topic, I know, but just thinking ahead here lol...

I remember being surprised by that as well, when I first started looking for potential postdoc sites. I am not really sure why most sites do not use the APPIC directory. Maybe somebody else will know the answer to that. However, signing up for the APPIC postdoc list serv is extremely important, as it is the place where most sites post their postdoc positions. Also, at the postdoc level, APA accreditation does not really matter.

Little disheartening, but Screw them. Their Loss!!!

Sidepost. Would anyone from the DC area be willing to give me some advice on housing!! PM me please.

I'm at a program in the Northern VA/DC area and would be happy to help navigate the housing situation. Feel free to PM me :)

Congratulations to everyone who matched and my sincere thoughts and best-wishes go to those who are on to Phase II. I wish you all the best of luck.

I am so excited to have matched and have potentially a silly question. I love my matched internship site and can't wait to get started. Is it OK to go ahead and list our matched internship site on our CV (of course with starting/ending dates clearly noted so it doesn't look like I'm trying to pass it off as in process)?

I remember being surprised by that as well, when I first started looking for potential postdoc sites. I am not really sure why most sites do not use the APPIC directory. Maybe somebody else will know the answer to that. However, signing up for the APPIC postdoc list serv is extremely important, as it is the place where most sites post their postdoc positions. Also, at the postdoc level, APA accreditation does not really matter.
I totally second the listserv thing. There are many many many post docs that come up on there from across the country.

Go ahead and add it to your CV, but don't misrepresent yourself as a current Intern if you are sharing your CV with anyone from now until you begin (like you stated, you will list the start date). Excited for you. :) CV updates are the best!

Congrats!

Congratulations to everyone who matched and my sincere thoughts and best-wishes go to those who are on to Phase II. I wish you all the best of luck.

I am so excited to have matched and have potentially a silly question. I love my matched internship site and can't wait to get started. Is it OK to go ahead and list our matched internship site on our CV (of course with starting/ending dates clearly noted so it doesn't look like I'm trying to pass it off as in process)?

I was so exhausted that I was making basic grammatical mistakes. I still wonder if my TD got off of the phone and thought "oof, that's our future intern." Although, I imagine that's really common. At least I wasn't drunk!

I don't think sites would be alarmed at all and I'd encourage you to reapply. I know you hear this a lot and it may not seem true, but often sites are really torn between who to interview and what order to rank people in, so your not matching doesn't mean that those sites didn't want you. But also, IMO, it won't hurt you to do internship at a less research-y site with your credentials. I did my internship at a research-friendly VA, wasn't involved in any research on internship, and I still landed a research postdoc at one of the sites you listed above. I haven't seen any of the Phase II site list, but I would look at research-friendly sites (I mean sites that have active research going on and offer protected research time).

You did get some publications during internship, though, right? I think I recall you mentioning that in a post.

Seems to be much better results than prior years with most being happy with their match.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for the advice! :)

Go ahead and add it to your CV, but don't misrepresent yourself as a current Intern if you are sharing your CV with anyone from now until you begin (like you stated, you will list the start date). Excited for you. :) CV updates are the best!

Congrats!
Thank you so much! And yes, yes they are :)

So when do we learn who the others are in our cohort? My site filled all its slots. Just whenever the TD wants to send it out?

So when do we learn who the others are in our cohort? My site filled all its slots. Just whenever the TD wants to send it out?

It varies from site to site. I have heard of some TDs sending out an email with the names of the interns and some information (e.g., their email addresses), and it's sort of up to the interns to contact each other if they want to meet/chat beforehand. After I matched, I remember being curious about who my fellow interns would be, but I had no idea, I found out the first day of internship.

I believe the DCT asks you first if you want to have the your contact information given to other other interns in your cohort. With all of the confidentiality and privacy rules all of this information has some protections. Seems that the Psychology Departments has to have student approval to announce publicly where they matched.

Last edited:
yay, headed to chicago! top choice but still processin.
Congrats!! Where at?? I have been in Chicago for the last 9 years, so I am happy to give you a low down on the city! Feel free to PM me.

This probably varies. At my site they sent an email on match day with the names of all the interns, their emails and where they are coming from. And then a few weeks before internship a cohort member initiated an email chain to introduce ourselves to each other and planned a get together to meet each other before we started internship.

Fast forward: I have made some great friends because of internship :)

This probably varies. At my site they sent an email on match day with the names of all the interns, their emails and where they are coming from. And then a few weeks before internship a cohort member initiated an email chain to introduce ourselves to each other and planned a get together to meet each other before we started internship.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was hoping for something like this :)

Can you tell I'm reliving this experience vicariously thru your internship victories/pain this weekend?

I initiated a gathering with my internship cohort and had such an awesome time hosting their significant others and kids (we even invited pets but no one brought any). It was a really good way to start an intense year together and I have made some great friends as a result of our close 1-yr bonds. Good luck with all, folks! :)

Last edited:
Did anyone match at UCF? Or know about housing in the Orlando area?
Hey! I live in the Orlando area now (current practicum student at UCF). We may have even met at the open house. Feel free to PM me and I can try to help!

So excited- I matched to my #2 (although it was pretty much tied with my #1), and I'm the first student from my program to be at this site! Actually, we had a lot of that this year. Congratulations to everyone- we did it!!!

I definitely did this a couple of hours ago and it was the coolest feeling in the world! I'm such a nerd :p. Congratulations!!!

Does anyone know why FSU's counseling center has four open spots? I'm very surprised, as it's a great program. Seems unlikely that they couldn't match to a single position during Phase I.

I thought this was interesting, too! Although one of the other externs at my practicum site interviewed there and was disappointed. But it's a large university with a great group program, so that kind of stuck out to me, as well.

For those that matched, what questions did you ask the program's training director on match day?