2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that matched, what questions did you ask the program's training director on match day?
Mostly just coordinated logistics. It wasn't a super long conversation, but it was an opportunity to get a bit more personable in the few minutes we chatted. As usual, I joked around a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

For those that matched, what questions did you ask the program's training director on match day?

Basically nothing! I didn't feel like it was the right time for questions - I was too excited and kind of just wanted to celebrate :) I asked (just to remind myself) when they think about assigning rotations, and he let me know that once I had time to process the news and sign my contract I could email/call him at any time. Short and sweet.

Reactions: 1 users
Mostly just coordinated logistics. It wasn't a super long conversation, but it was an opportunity to get a bit more personable in the few minutes we chatted. As usual, I joked around a bit.

Basically nothing! I didn't feel like it was the right time for questions - I was too excited and kind of just wanted to celebrate :) I asked (just to remind myself) when they think about assigning rotations, and he let me know that once I had time to process the news and sign my contract I could email/call him at any time. Short and sweet.

Right?? He let me know to ask him any questions I have, but I was just excited/telling people the news all day and even now I can't really think of anything that's dire to know at the moment! I was wondering if there's some list of 'things to ask after you get matched' that I haven't yet come across.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who matched, did you contact faculty, who wrote you recommendations, about your outcome? What about those who are in the internship admissions committee at your own program (if you applied there)? Trying to gauge what is the etiquette about notifying faculty members, when they technically already know (since they also receive a list of match outcomes for interviewees).

For those who matched, did you contact faculty, who wrote you recommendations, about your outcome? What about those who are in the internship admissions committee at your own program (if you applied there)? Trying to gauge what is the etiquette about notifying faculty members, when they technically already know (since they also receive a list of match outcomes for interviewees).

In regards to letter writers...two of them texted me congrats, and I emailed the other two (even though they knew) to just thank them again.

Reactions: 1 user
Once I got the result, I texted my major professor directly before notifying anyone else (besides my parents). I felt it was the respectful thing to do, rather than having her find out second hand. I then sent emails or text messages (depending on my relationship with them) to those who wrote me recommendations, my DCT (he already knew but still important to share it with him), supervisors at my current practicum site and anyone who helped me with the process. My program does not have an internship application committee; however, if we did, I'm sure I would have notified them as well.

This may be jumping the gun, but now that the match is over, I started to look at post-docs for next next year lol. I searched on the APPIC directory for post-docs in 4 states and only 18 total sites came up (I didn't even specify accredited sites). Why is that, that so few post doc positions are listed on there? How do we find post-docs other than the portal? Off topic, I know, but just thinking ahead here lol...

Also, you can go on APPACAS and look at the sites that are listed there for your own reference...but about half of my apps (BMed/Health Psych focus) went to non-APPACAS sites that I heard about through the APPIC post-doc listserv. https://appicpostdoc.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login

So I spoke with the TD of my program briefly by phone, but am wondering if it's encouraged/not to e-mail the individual who will be my supervisor for the duration of my internship year? I interviewed with this individual and it just seems weird to not contact them and acknowledge it.. thoughts?

So I spoke with the TD of my program briefly by phone, but am wondering if it's encouraged/not to e-mail the individual who will be my supervisor for the duration of my internship year? I interviewed with this individual and it just seems weird to not contact them and acknowledge it.. thoughts?
I don't see why it would hurt, especially if you keep it short and focused on being excited to work with that person in the coming year.

I'll be moving to Augusta, GA in a few months! Does anyone have any knowledge of housing in the area?

Hello everyone,
I matched at my number one site for internship, for which I am extremely grateful. However, it pays only $20k. Throughout my doctoral program, I held other part-time jobs to make more money. I was wondering whether any of you plans on having another part time job with internship or whether we are even allowed to do so. I was looking in to some part-time teaching jobs at city colleges, restaurant jobs, or any other research freelance work from home. I will appreciate any input from you if you have any ideas, experiences, or knowledge that I could benefit from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I matched at my number one site for internship, for which I am extremely grateful. However, it pays only $20k. Throughout my doctoral program, I held other part-time jobs to make more money. I was wondering whether any of you plans on having another part time job with internship or whether we are even allowed to do so. I was looking in to some part-time teaching jobs at city colleges, restaurant jobs, or any other research freelance work from home. I will appreciate any input from you if you have any ideas, experiences, or knowledge that I could benefit from.
Most internships are fairly intensive and it would be quite a challenge to work at something else during that time. Especially if you have any other obligations such as spouse or kids. This could be a time to take out a student loan if you absolutely need one to make ends meet. If you do, just make sure to get one that is subsidized and low interest.

Reactions: 3 users

I didn't email last year and everything worked out fine. I would probably only email w specific questions.

I would not (personally). I think waiting till internship starts to interact with that person maybe better timing.

Hello everyone,

I agree with @smalltownpsych - most internships are too intensive to do anything else. And if you do decide to have a second job -- I would make sure with the TD that is aligns with their policies.

Dissertation data collection, reading for fun (a "novel" concept - I'm already booing myself for the terrible pun), drinking wine, commiserating with the other intern applicants in my program, and playing Lego Avengers on the Xbox One (because I'm a child in an adult body).

My plan for February 18-19th: building a blanket/pillow fort with my husband in my living room while watching movies. (Again, child in adult body.)

Has anyone else been having wonky stress dreams lately?
This is so accurate as to what I did, too! Wine, Lego Harry Potter, commiserating, and yes, I also was having crazy stress dreams! Thank god it is over now!

Hello everyone,

I was just speaking with a friend about this a few days ago. He went on internship 5 years ago and matched to a NYC hospital where he had a reasonable workload. The site was also near his home so he was able to continue working at a CMHC that he had worked at during his program. He worked there 2-3 nights a week seeing clients after he got off work at the internship site. I think that's kind of nuts, but he was able to do it. So it can be done.

I also had a classmate who routinely worked 15-20 hours a week during our program (in addition to assistantship). Our TD wasn't too happy when she found out and gave my classmate a hard time. But she had a lot of debt and absolutely needed to have additional jobs. My point is that the possibility of working part-time will depend on the demands of your site and your tolerance for work.

Last edited:
Not sure what your area of interest is in research, but I noticed Alabama-Birmingham on there and Mississippi Medical Center, which are both pretty large southern research sites. Not on the level of some of the others you mentioned, but they are worth taking a look at.

Yeah - I've heard awesome things about Mississippi Medical Center, especially in regards to research.

I was just speaking with a friend about this a few days ago. He went on internship 5 years ago and matched to a NYC hospital where he had a reasonable workload. The site was also near his home so he was able to continue working at a CMHC that he had worked at during his program. He worked there 2-3 nights a week seeing clients after he got off work at the internship site. I think that's kind of nuts, but he was able to do it. So it can be done.

I also had a classmate who routinely worked 15-20 hours a week during our program (in addition to assistantship). Our TD wasn't too happy when she found out and gave my classmate a hard time. But she had a lot of debt and absolutely needed to have additional jobs. My point is that the possibility of working part-time will depend on the demands of your site and your tolerance for work. You may be able to do it, contrary to what others have said. You may need to in fact if that $20,000 stipend is at a major city site and you don't want to take out loans.
I didn't say it couldn't be done and I fail to see where anyone else said that. Why set it up as an argument? Whether or not it is a good idea or not depends on the site and the individual's situation, obviously. Here is a point for debate if you wish: this is the capstone training year and I think it is important to put most of your energy into it.

I matched in Minneapolis! I so loved the Minneapolis VA program when I interviewed there. It was like meeting my tribe for the first time.

Random question -- I'm visiting Minneapolis with my husband in a couple weeks while he looks for jobs/goes to this networking event, and the TD of my site asked me to come by and touch base if I came to the area before internship year started. So, I set up that meeting since he requested it.

I have NO idea what I should talk to this TD about before internship starts. I did ask him to arrange a meeting with an intern so I can get housing advice (he had offered). I already know that rotations are decided in the first week of the program. What is helpful to know ahead of time outside of that?

Matched in Nebraska! That will be a big change for me, but a welcome one.

Question about what happens post-match:

I matched to one of my top choices (yay!) and I spoke with the TD by phone last Friday during the 11-1:00 time. However, I haven't heard anything since. I saw in the APPIC policies that the internship sites are supposed to give us something in writing within a week. If I don't hear anything tomorrow, should I email the TD? I just don't want to be a pain in the butt before I even start. Thanks!

I matched to one of my top choices (yay!) and I spoke with the TD by phone last Friday during the 11-1:00 time. However, I haven't heard anything since. I saw in the APPIC policies that the internship sites are supposed to give us something in writing within a week. If I don't hear anything tomorrow, should I email the TD? I just don't want to be a pain in the butt before I even start. Thanks!

I got my "contract" (listing stipend, vacation days, sick leave, professional time and benefits) 3 weeks after match. And employment forms to fill out a month later. I'm sure it'll come -- it's a lot for sites to organize and often times they may go through human resources ... So it'll take a bit.

Give it until sometime next week at least. Remember that sites have been preoccupied with Match and now need to give some attention to the interns they have in place--who are now stressing out about their post-docs. Often there is relatively little communication until you get closer to start date. Enjoy that you matched and work on that dissertation so you won't be stressing about it on internship this time next year.

Is there a thread for Phase 2 this year? I would like to check it out and contribute, if warranted. Where the heck is it??!! Can someone please post the appropriate threads?

Reactions: 2 users
I dont believe there is a phase 2 thread, but one would be very helpful! Does anyone have information on Southwest Behavioral Health Associates in Arizona?

Is there a thread for Phase 2 this year? I would like to check it out and contribute, if warranted. Where the heck is it??!! Can someone please post the appropriate threads?

I dont believe there is a phase 2 thread, but one would be very helpful! Does anyone have information on Southwest Behavioral Health Associates in Arizona?

Here is one - it's not very active yet though:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/appic-internship-phase-ii.1184845/

Hi all,

I matched but not to my first choice. I'm very bummed, but I know I need to be grateful because I matched and there are those who are working very hard right now in Phase II. I'm wondering if I should reach out to my first choice and ask them what my application lacked. I would really LOVE to do my postdoc there, especially because they are one of the only programs that provide training my area of interest. What do you all think? Contact TD or not.

Hi all,

I matched but not to my first choice. I'm very bummed, but I know I need to be grateful because I matched and there are those who are working very hard right now in Phase II. I'm wondering if I should reach out to my first choice and ask them what my application lacked. I would really LOVE to do my postdoc there, especially because they are one of the only programs that provide training my area of interest. What do you all think? Contact TD or not.

I would not contact them. You're assuming that your application was lacking something but it may have just been that another applicant was a better fit.

Hi all,

Wait and contact him when you are readying for post-doc. TDs are not thinking that far ahead right now and are needing to attend to the current class that is there now. You could, in theory, inquire next fall and state how much you had hoped to be there and ask then what might increase odds for a post-doc match. But with everything TDs are doing, a request now risks creating an impression that you are displeased or anxious or demanding.

Any fellow soon-to-be-URMC Rochesterians out there? :)

Wait and contact him when you are readying for post-doc. TDs are not thinking that far ahead right now and are needing to attend to the current class that is there now. You could, in theory, inquire next fall and state how much you had hoped to be there and ask then what might increase odds for a post-doc match. But with everything TDs are doing, a request now risks creating an impression that you are displeased or anxious or demanding.
Thanks. That sounds like a much better plan!

Hello everyone,
Curious to hear about people's internship or professional experiences. I interviewed with an APA accredited outpatient community mental health agency site and was told by an intern that the caseload consists of about 60 clients. While many of them are seen monthly or biweekly, I find it difficult to comprehend how effective care (and valuable training) is possible. Is this typical of public agency sites? Has anyone had such an experience? What is the typical caseload in this type of setting? If this is not typical, how is this permitted by apa? Would really appreciate any input. Thank you so much.

Hello everyone,
Curious to hear about people's internship or professional experiences. I interviewed with an APA accredited outpatient community mental health agency site and was told by an intern that the caseload consists of about 60 clients. While many of them are seen monthly or biweekly, I find it difficult to comprehend how effective care (and valuable training) is possible. Is this typical of public agency sites? Has anyone had such an experience? What is the typical caseload in this type of setting? If this is not typical, how is this permitted by apa? Would really appreciate any input. Thank you so much.

I work in the same environment and my caseload is about 70 clients currently. I find treatment is minimally effective with a pretty high attrition rate. Sucks, and not sure if it is typical, but unfortunately doesn't sound like it's rare.

I work in the same environment and my caseload is about 70 clients currently. I find treatment is minimally effective with a pretty high attrition rate. Sucks, and not sure if it is typical, but unfortunately doesn't sound like it's rare.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Are you experiencing burnout resulting from the caseload? I also imagine supervision cannot address all of those cases..

I'm back. Matched to a site in Washington DC, becoming a little terrified of the move. If anyone in DC (or who knows DC) would be willing to offer some housing advice, please message me! I'm currently in the Bay Area and know it like the back of my hand, anyone moving here is also welcome to message me for tips!

Also - if there is a thread on here about cross-country moves, could someone direct me to it? Wondering what people have found in terms of cost efficiency, moving companies, etc. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Are you experiencing burnout resulting from the caseload? I also imagine supervision cannot address all of those cases..
Definitely. On the days where everyone shows up, it's pretty miserable. By the end of the day I feel almost unable to focus on the client, which is not good for either of us.

Definitely. On the days where everyone shows up, it's pretty miserable. By the end of the day I feel almost unable to focus on the client, which is not good for either of us.
No-can-dosville, babydoll

Reactions: 2 users
Also - if there is a thread on here about cross-country moves, could someone direct me to it? Wondering what people have found in terms of cost efficiency, moving companies, etc. Thanks!

I really hope there's something like this out there. I'm also moving cross-country.

I really hope there's something like this out there. I'm also moving cross-country.

Not sure if there is a thread, but as someone who has moved 1300 miles, I can tell you there's no easy way to do it. And it all depends on how long you plan to stay in the city of your internship. Would it be easier to sublet your apartment fully furnished for a year if you plan to move back? AirBnB? Are you moving with a s/o? Are you moving into a place with a roommate? Too many variables. It's going to vary from case to case.

If you are moving for an extended period of time and you have a lot of furniture you love and want to keep, then you're looking at about $3k if not more to move 2k+ miles if you hire movers. I didn't have a lot of furniture and other belongings, so I packed it all up in a UHaul trailer and my family helped me travel 3 days to get it to my new apartment, and then I just bought the rest of the stuff when I got there.

Hello everyone,

I have a different take on this. I completed a prac at a CMHC and loved it. This is COMMUNITY mental health, and if you couldn't tell from my all caps, emphasis on Community. You will learn so much!! The deal with CMHC's is that you see whomever walks through the door. How exciting is that?!?! You are going to be exposed to a very broad spectrum of clients, with every diagnosis/diagnoses under the sun. It's a tremendous time to take it all in. You will not be coddled nor will there be much cherry-picking of clients, but is that what you really want for Internship? You must be self-motivated to learn about all these people's diagnoses on your own, but what's it going to be like when you are in the real world and out of school practicing on your own? You will be prepared after this experience! You will learn a lot about intersectionality (between race, SES, gender spectrum, etc). There is no area of concern you won't see at a CMHC. Your supervisor will be great, will stink, or somewhere in between just like you have had to deal with so far and would have to deal with no matter where you went - there are no guarantees no matter where you go on that front. The worst part about it is the paperwork, but you'll get into a rhythm with that and you'll handle it. CMHC's are the de facto psych hospitals, aside from jail or prison, since across the USA there has been massive shutdowns and privatization of psych hospitals. You will learn a lot about the current system and political climate of public mental health, as well, and if you are at all interested in public policy vis a vis mental health you will be very informed. It's really being in the trenches, and that is a great learning experience no matter what you do after. I encourage you to read some of the history about how CMHC's got started and why (under the Kennedy administration). Do some research on this - it's got it's own venerable roots in the idea of honoring the cultural background of the individuals you treat and the local clinical scientist model. It's not just about volume and seeing as many people as possible. CMHC's exist to provide treatment to everyone who needs it - not just the wealthy (private hospitals and/or private practices that often don't take insurance) or the extremely/unable to take care of themselves mentally ill (public/gov't hospitals). CMHC's exist to capture everyone between those extremes who need help, and no surprise a lot of people need help. Think about why you got in this field in the first place and tap into a sense of mission. That ought to excite you - and after all it's only a year!

Last edited: