2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I disagree with this. As a director of an internship program, this is already a very busy time and we are all trying to get notifications out as soon as possible. We understand that it is difficult to schedule interviews and if many applicants start emailing about interview dates, this could slow down the process further. I would suggest to wait and see what happens. If you end up with many interviews and have overlapping dates with your top choice, see if your lower choice can be flexible, and if not, you can cancel your lower choice. I honestly would be a little irritated if someone couldn't wait a couple of weeks to hear and I think it could communicate something about your personality, even if it isn't true (i.e., pushy, not flexible, over confident, feel like you're better than other applicants so need to hear sooner, etc.). Additionally, even if you learn of the dates, you aren't guaranteed to get your top choice which could cause more frustration if you planned your schedule around a particular date. Not much good can come out of asking this (other than learning the dates a couple days/weeks sooner), but I think a lot of bad could. I don't think it's worth the risk.

Yeah, I can see that. For some applicants, especially those with small children or limited funds, it really is just about trying to map out regions of the country so you aren't criss-crossing and spending money you don't have. Since most sites give multiple options for interview dates, it is helpful to be able to sketch out a general travel plan even if it doesn't pan out, and obviously knowing to expect rejections. TBH, I am not sure why sites don't just publicize their interview dates, unless they don't plan that far in advance. Some have updated the listing in APPIC though, so people should definitely check there first.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice! That is definitely noted and exactly what I was worried about. Most of the sites I applied to had you rank date preferences on the cover letter or listed potential dates in their materials. These just had posts like "two interview dates will be offered in January" without potential dates, so it is impossible to know if I am scheduling other interviews incorrectly. I am not expecting to know if I will be offered an interview any time soon, but it would be so helpful to know what possibities exist so I can leave those dates as open as possible. I would also feel really rude cancelling on a site or seeing if they have flexibility if I already agreed to an interview! I really appreciate you letting me know that it sounds pushy as that is exactly what I was afraid of.

This may have been answered before, but I'm trying to avoid looking at interview updates here so I can't scroll through the pages.

If an interview invite shows up here (or cohort mate gets one) for a site you applied to, but you haven't gotten a rejection, what do we make of this? Assume rejection?

just was curious as to others' thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope everyone is dealing with the doomsday jitters okay... As for me, I'm writing from the very bottom of an empty gallon of rocky road.

To the person who posted a rejection from LSU, how do you know it was addressed to all tracks? Did it specify that in the rejection?

:troll:

Reactions: 2 users
Site name & Match ID number Puget Sound VA
-Invite or rejection Invitation
-Date notified 11/30
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) Personalized Email

Reactions: 1 user
Good evening everyone! I was wondering if the person(s) who received information (invite or rejection) from James Haley Tampa VA could let me know around what time they received the email, or the subject line of the email? I applied, and received neither a rejection nor an invite today. I am worried the email may have been lost in the sea of emails waiting for me after the holiday break! Any information you could provide that would help me search my inbox effectively would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Good evening everyone! I was wondering if the person(s) who received information (invite or rejection) from James Haley Tampa VA could let me know around what time they received the email, or the subject line of the email? I applied, and received neither a rejection nor an invite today. I am worried the email may have been lost in the sea of emails waiting for me after the holiday break! Any information you could provide that would help me search my inbox effectively would be appreciated!

be sure to check your spam folder!

I received mine at 4:32 CST w/subject line, "Tampa VA Psychology Intern Applicant." Hope that helps!

I've been fortunate to get a good amount of interviews but right now I'm crossing the country about 4 times in a week and a half period in January. Today, a friend pointed out that if I could switch my interview date with a site for the other day they offer, I could limit my cross country trips to 3x in those 10 days. The site only offers 2 days and this was one of my 1st notifications so I scheduled w/o having much knowledge of what was to come.

I'm hesitant to ask to switch in case it looks pushy (the site is one of my top choices) but it's not just the money that would make switching helpful, I'm worried about how fresh I can be with so much travel in a short time and it makes the probability of travel issues due to weather higher. Has anyone done this sort of switching with a site ? They can just say no but does it look bad to ask?

Got my first notification from the Texas State University Counseling Center. Unfortunately, it was a rejection. I have to admit, it hit me harder than I expected. On the plus side, 16 more sites to go.

I've been coping by buying and wrapping Christmas presents. Helpful to an extent (it's getting expensive!)

Reactions: 1 users
RE: Asking about interview dates before hearing about an interview:
1) You can look at last year's internship notification thread (search "2014-2015" in this forum only) and that'll give you what the interview dates were last year, which might help.
2) I would avoid emailing sites right now if at all possible - they're dealing with 100s of applicants, and I think the previous poster is right that you probably don't want to be read as pushy.

For what it's worth, I'm waiting until I hear from all my sites to book flights - I realize prices may jump in the next couple weeks, but I can't imagine they'll go up that much, and it's worth it not to have extra flights in there back home between sites that I could otherwise fly directly between. Also, use the SSCP Hotel Match-Up (see earlier in this thread or in the separate thread I posted about it in the forum) to help reduce your hotel costs, which might make the flight costs slightly more palatable.

RE: Other people hearing about interviews, does that mean you're rejected: No, someone else getting an offer and you not hearing anything does NOT mean it's a rejection. Sites are expected to notify you one way or the other by their posted deadline (available on their APPIC profile). I don't know how non-APPIC or non-accredited sites work, but I imagine generally similar. You aren't supposed to email the sites to ask your status until the day AFTER their posted deadline (see recent email to the Match list-serv for more details).

I've been fortunate to get a good amount of interviews but right now I'm crossing the country about 4 times in a week and a half period in January. Today, a friend pointed out that if I could switch my interview date with a site for the other day they offer, I could limit my cross country trips to 3x in those 10 days. The site only offers 2 days and this was one of my 1st notifications so I scheduled w/o having much knowledge of what was to come.

I'm hesitant to ask to switch in case it looks pushy (the site is one of my top choices) but it's not just the money that would make switching helpful, I'm worried about how fresh I can be with so much travel in a short time and it makes the probability of travel issues due to weather higher. Has anyone done this sort of switching with a site ? They can just say no but does it look bad to ask?

I'm in sort of the same spot. In reading through threads from previous years, it looked like training directors were generally amenable to interviewees trading spots if they could negotiate it themselves. You may have also seen this? Not sure what people think about that. Seems to me like it wouldn't cause too much upheaval for the sites and would be really helpful to the applicants. I posted earlier (like a week ago? can't remember) to see if anyone wanted to switch dates for Saint Elizabeths interview. I thought it was worth a shot w/o bothering the TD? Let me know if you figure something out!

Members don't see this ad :)
This may have been answered before, but I'm trying to avoid looking at interview updates here so I can't scroll through the pages.

If an interview invite shows up here (or cohort mate gets one) for a site you applied to, but you haven't gotten a rejection, what do we make of this? Assume rejection?

just was curious as to others' thoughts.
No. Don't assume rejection until they tell you that you are rejected.

I've seen (even just the last few days) friends get invites from programs that had extended their offers several weeks prior (per this site).

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I woke up this morning to an invite from Tampa VA! Thanks again for all of your help!

Reactions: 3 users
After starting off with a few invites, I've gotten 7 rejections in a row. This process is no bueno lol.

Hopefully, I get some good news through this week.

If a sites deadline is different than what is posted in APPIC, and their portal is still open...

Do I submit the application or email the director?

If a sites deadline is different than what is posted in APPIC, and their portal is still open...

I submitted it. As a general rule I've been advised not to contact training directors, especially for something like this which could suggest that we don't pay attention to detail because we didn't confirm the date on the brochure. So, as I said, I submitted it and am hoping for the best. But, that's just n = 1. I hope you get a reply from someone with more authority.

When is the posted deadline? If the deadline is before today, I personally would think to email the director before potentially wasting $25-$50... But perhaps that is bothersome for directors? I'm not sure. Also, bummer on the rejections. At least you have the invites to look back to! It is not such a fun process...

I've been waiting to post one of these! \o/

Site name & Match ID number HAPTC-Central Region (Family Psychology of Springfield track)
-Date notified 12/1
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) Personalized Email,
-Interview Date: December 18

Reactions: 7 users
Site name & Match ID number University of Kentucky CC
-Date notified 11/24
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) mass Email

Site name & Match ID number Florida State University CC
-Invite or rejection Rejection
-Date notified 11/30
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) mass Email

Feeling sad :(

I think that, if you're trying to submit an app after the deadline, you probably don't want to call attention to the fact that you're submitting it late! I would rather spend the extra money to submit it and hope that my application gets downloaded with everyone else's (if they haven't actually done that already) than to highlight being late, I feel like that would read either as their site wasn't a top choice for you or you aren't super conscientious (I realize those may very well not be true, but I wouldn't want to give a director any reason to "flag" me negatively). Just my .02 cents!

Yale, DBT track, c'mon, yo! Talk about a holdout, seems to be the only one without notifications :)

-Site name & Match ID number: OhioGuidestone (2054)
-Invite

-Date notified: 12/1/2015
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): personal email
-Interview date: January 8, 15, 22, and 29 from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.

-Site name & Match ID number Tulane University
-Track (if applicable) Adult Track, Behavioral Medicine
-Invite or rejection Invite
-Date notified 12/01
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) Mass
-Interview date 12/18, 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29

Yale, DBT track, c'mon, yo! Talk about a holdout, seems to be the only one without notifications :)

Should be soon! They called with invitations on Dec 2 the year I applied (2 years ago).

FMC Devens
Invite
Mass email
Dates on Mondays and Fridays in January

I received a set of dates from an internship site and replied immediately to their administrative assistant regarding the dates I preferred. That was last Tuesday (a week ago). Should I just sit and wait? My inclination was to assume they received my email. I was wondering if others have a similar problem (all the other sites appear to respond immediately--that is, within 24 hours).

-Site name & Match ID number: Pittsburgh VA, General track
-Invite or rejection Rejection :(
-Date notified 12/1
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) Mass Email

I received a set of dates from an internship site and replied immediately to their administrative assistant regarding the dates I preferred. That was last Tuesday (a week ago). Should I just sit and wait? My inclination was to assume they received my email. I was wondering if others have a similar problem (all the other sites appear to respond immediately--that is, within 24 hours).

One site took nearly a week to get back to me with a date, though I responded almost immediately to their invite. I suggest waiting out a little bit longer.

You aren't alone. While some of my sites have responded within a day or two, I have 3 sites who have asked me to hold dates for them until they confirm my interview date, which has resulted in me currently holding onto 9 potential dates during January :unsure: My intuition is to not bug anyone unless I absolutely have to - hopefully they won't make us wait too much longer. Anyone from previous years have to wait much more than 2 weeks?

PS First-time poster, long-time lurker... feels good to be out in the fray.

Site name & Match ID number Richard L. Roudebush Indianapolis VAMC
-Track (if applicable) Serious Mental Illness
-Date notified 12/1/15
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone)mass email
-Interview date 1/8 or 1/15

Site name & Match ID number Richard L. Roudebush Indianapolis VAMC
-Track (if applicable) Serious Mental Illness
-Date notified 12/1/15
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone)mass email
-Interview date 1/8 or 1/15

Congratulations! For those of you reading this: could you make sure to respond to this thread if you receive invites for Indianapolis VA for tracks other than SMI? GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Has anyone heard from West Haven VA (Connecticut)? I am still waiting to hear from them and want to schedule a December interview if I get an offer. Plane prices are going up by the day :(

Has anyone heard from West Haven VA (Connecticut)? I am still waiting to hear from them and want to schedule a December interview if I get an offer. Plane prices are going up by the day :(

I haven't heard either and I chose the earliest date on my application! Hoping for good news soon :)

If anyone has some insight on how to schedule multiple BOP interviews, please message me! Specifically, if we need to complete the CVA before scheduling the interviews at the other sites. The emails I have received have been quite confusing.

If anyone has some insight on how to schedule multiple BOP interviews, please message me! Specifically, if we need to complete the CVA before scheduling the interviews at the other sites. The emails I have received have been quite confusing.

It's my impression that the CVA will be completed upon arrival to the first BOP interview.

Tried to branch out from some of the places students in my program typically apply. Given the topography of my rejections, this did not appear to work. Or I wrote really poor essays.

Didn't see this on here:

Site name & Match ID number: UCLA Semel
-Track (if applicable)- Adult (general)
-Invite or rejection- Invite
-Date notified-today! 12/1
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) mass email
-Interview date- open house on 1/8 and 1/15
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: who says I'm coping? :)
Lately, it's been wine, chocolate, talking to a good friend also going through it, and a supportive family (+ one yoga class).

Didn't see this on here:

Site name & Match ID number: UCLA Semel
-Track (if applicable)- Adult (general)
-Invite or rejection- Invite
-Date notified-today! 12/1
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) mass email
-Interview date- open house on 1/8 and 1/15
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: who says I'm coping? :)
Lately, it's been wine, chocolate, talking to a good friend also going through it, and a supportive family (+ one yoga class).
Is this the same or different site from the UCLA one I posted earlier today? Hard to tell... :unsure:

I'm in sort of the same spot. In reading through threads from previous years, it looked like training directors were generally amenable to interviewees trading spots if they could negotiate it themselves. You may have also seen this? Not sure what people think about that. Seems to me like it wouldn't cause too much upheaval for the sites and would be really helpful to the applicants. I posted earlier (like a week ago? can't remember) to see if anyone wanted to switch dates for Saint Elizabeths interview. I thought it was worth a shot w/o bothering the TD? Let me know if you figure something out!

Thanks, I talked to my DCT and was advised to contact the site's coordinator to see if a switch is possible. If not, I may see if it's possible to switch w/ another applicant (which may be difficult to do as the number of interviewees is kinda low). Were you able to find anyone?

Is this the same or different site from the UCLA one I posted earlier today? Hard to tell... :unsure:

pretty sure it's the same, UCLA Semel Institute (1134). I think I didn't refresh my page because I see it on there now!

im likely just paranoid but if an internship site indicates that a phone interview does not jeopardize chances of internship--is that really true?

Has anyone gotten an invite to the child track at either Montefiore or the Vanderbilt Consortium? Thanks!

Thanks, I talked to my DCT and was advised to contact the site's coordinator to see if a switch is possible. If not, I may see if it's possible to switch w/ another applicant (which may be difficult to do as the number of interviewees is kinda low). Were you able to find anyone?
I wasn't, no one answered the post. It ended up working out because I was able to schedule another interview in the area that week.

I haven't heard either and I chose the earliest date on my application! Hoping for good news soon :)
My colleague was also glued to her computer and compulsively refreshing her email waiting to hear from them, but like the two of you she had no such luck.

I'
My colleague was also glued to her computer and compulsively refreshing her email waiting to hear from them, but like the two of you she had no such luck.
I'm with you! Also hoping for good news and a December date! (Please, please, please!!!)

Directors have to manually close the portal. If it's not closed, you can still submit, even it's past the deadline. In order to see when an applicant submitted, we have to click a separate link for each applicant - and I would bet most of us are NOT doing this because it's a pain to look at and we just assume everyone submitted on time. I had an applicant email me to point out she submitted an application 6 hours after our deadline and she hoped she would still be considered. Honestly, I wouldn't have known had she not pointed it out, and there could've been others who submitted late and I'll never know (I wasn't going to get out of bed at midnight to close the portal and I'm not going to go through and check when each applicant ended up submitting their application). And since she pointed it out, it made me wonder if she'd miss other important deadlines. Other directors may have different opinions, but that's my two cents.

Reactions: 5 users