2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask, what track did you apply to?

Edit: Just saw the other comments…..bummer was hoping for this site…. oh well
In the past couple years, invites have gone out over the course of a few days. There is still hope

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking forward to a huge bowl of spaghetti squash covered in ricotta cheese and a few swigs of Nyquil when I get home tonight.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else dealing with mainly rejection and only have 1 interview?

Yupp, this is not a fun experience. A friend of mine last year got 8 rejections first, then 8 acceptances, stay strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yupp, this is not a fun experience. A friend of mine last year got 8 rejections first, then 8 acceptances, stay strong.

I appreciate reading that as that is important to remember. The direction with which any of this goes is unpredictable.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently have an incredibly difficult conflict :confused:

Last edited:

6 rejections, 1 interview, 8 left to hear from for me....

Speaking of which:
Site name & Match ID number: Marcus Autism Center
Invite or rejection: Rejection
Date notified: 12/2
How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass Email

Site name & Match ID number: Lewisville Independent School District

I am interested in trading the following interview date if anyone is interested:

University of Chicago (neuro) - Jan 15; would like to trade for the 22nd or 29th

Currently have an incredibly difficult conflict

I'm wondering if maybe we should start a separate thread for conflicts so they don't get lost. What do you think?

Has anyone been in a situation in which they have ranked dates on their application, was given their preferred date at those sites, but then another site (that didn't post interview dates in advance) only offers interviews that conflicts with the dates they already selected and were offered at other sites? One of the sites (whose date I ranked on the application and was offered) does offer interviews at other times that I could make, but they invited me way back in November. How horribly rude is it to ask the training director if there is any potential in moving the date? These three sites are my top three choices, so I really want to do everything in my power to attend all three of them. Thank you in advance for all of your advice. I'm so thankful to have interviews from my top sites, but really unsure of what to do!

Yes, I'm in the same boat. Thankfully my one interview was my first notification so I was initially hopeful, but I've gotten 7 rejections since then. I'm pretty much immersing myself in my dissertation so I can say I have a date set by the time I'm in Phase II (I'm certain that's where I'll end up at this point...).

Whoever heard from umass, was it the general track or forensic? Thanks!

In the past couple years, invites have gone out over the course of a few days. There is still hope
Thanks! That seriously lifted my spirits!

Reactions: 2 users
Site name and Match ID Number: University of Maine
Invite or Rejection: Rejection
Date notified: 12/2/15
How notified: Personalized email

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been in a situation in which they have ranked dates on their application, was given their preferred date at those sites, but then another site (that didn't post interview dates in advance) only offers interviews that conflicts with the dates they already selected and were offered at other sites? One of the sites (whose date I ranked on the application and was offered) does offer interviews at other times that I could make, but they invited me way back in November. How horribly rude is it to ask the training director if there is any potential in moving the date? These three sites are my top three choices, so I really want to do everything in my power to attend all three of them. Thank you in advance for all of your advice. I'm so thankful to have interviews from my top sites, but really unsure of what to do!

This same scenario pretty much happened to me. I emailed the site coordinator yesterday but haven't heard back yet.

This same scenario pretty much happened to me. I emailed the site coordinator yesterday but haven't heard back yet.
I decided to take the chance and email just now. They were so kind and gracious and moved it for me already!

I decided to take the chance and email just now. They were so kind and gracious and moved it for me already!
I hope you hear soon Hamsterpants!

raining in new york
stop evaluating me
manchego pizza

Reactions: 6 users
I just want to say how appreciative I am for this forum. Sometimes I feel so alone in this process and as the rejections start rolling in, it's hard to not feel depressed, or discouraged or disappointed. I know that we are all deserving future psychologists and this whole process really comes down to being such a crapshoot! I got a interview first, so was feeling super pumped, but with four incoming rejections, it's hard not to get down. I'm trying to believe that everything happens for a reason and I'm grateful for everyone's comments and support!

Reactions: 7 users
Only heard from 3 sites, still 14 left to go. Jeez

Is there etiquette on replying to rejection emails? Do people do it? Are there pros/cons to doing it or not?

No need to respond. I am surprised how many people actually do, but it's not going to change anything and I don't think anything of the applicant either way.

What's the possibility of actually matching to VA site without pubs?

Got a few interviews, but not feeling good after a slew of rejections. :\

Site name: University of Massachusetts at Amherst Counseling Center
-Date notified: 12/2/2015
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Track (if applicable): n/a
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personalized e-mail
-Interview date: 3rd week of Dec or 2nd Week of Jan

What's the possibility of actually matching to VA site without pubs?

Got a few interviews, but not feeling good after a slew of rejections. :\

every site is so different and what they look for is different. the rejections blow. this process is not positively reinforcing at all. most of these sites are taking in 150+ applications and giving 30-40 interviews. hang in there. you just need 1 interview to match, and it seems you got that.

Trying to not let my over-analyzing skills take over (read:neuroticism).

That said, did anyone who applied to the Women's Mental Health track at UNC SOM get an invite, or was it only behavioral med and TEACCH?

Is there etiquette on replying to rejection emails? Do people do it? Are there pros/cons to doing it or not?

I do always send a quick note saying thank you for the notice, good luck in the match and I wish them well. Of the 4 rejections I've received, 3 wrote back and said thank you and asked me to re-apply in future if need be and/or consider them for post-doc. I think it should reflect your personality, regardless of what you decide to do.

Someone up-thread said they heard from UNC SOM and they'd applied to behavioral med and women's ED tracks, and then someone else was TEACCH and CIDD, so I think it's a broad email. That being said, they do sometimes send emails over multiple days; according to last year's thread, they notified people on 11/26, 12/4, 12/5, and 12/6, so there's hope! (A fellow women's mental health track applicant)

RE: Match rate by number of interviews received: I wish they'd publish the match rate for interviews completed as well, not just interviews offered. I imagine those numbers are highly correlated, but I am sort of curious, for the people who get tons of interviews, whether they really then need to go do all of those interviews, or if they're just more competitive generally and could get by going to fewer. I knew someone who got over 10 (I can't remember exactly) interview offers last year, and it seems like knowing how many interviews you have to actually *do* to get matched would be more helpful. But, just my 2 cents!

6 rejections, 1 interview, 8 left to hear from for me....

Speaking of which:
Site name & Match ID number: Marcus Autism Center

Do you mind if I ask which track(s) you applied to at Marcus?

Edit: sorry, just saw the update that says both tracks were notified!

From the person who heard from Western Psychiatry Clinics at UPitt, was it a phone call or email? I'm still waiting to hear something...

I hope you hear soon Hamsterpants!

Ha, believe it or not, for yet another site I received a day I can't reasonably make. I'm going have to move to a phone interview I think but it makes the whole original issue moot :) Everything is a catch-22. Too bad I cannot retract my email to the first site, I guess I will have to re-email with the update. Hopefully I don't look like too much of a flake. I wish this was one big doodle poll.

I do always send a quick note saying thank you for the notice, good luck in the match and I wish them well. Of the 4 rejections I've received, 3 wrote back and said thank you and asked me to re-apply in future if need be and/or consider them for post-doc. I think it should reflect your personality, regardless of what you decide to do.
I decided against it but I think you are right, it should reflect your style. For instance, I strongly believe in thank you notes unless requested otherwise.

Site name & Match ID number: Portland State University
Invite or rejection: Invite
How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personalized

Yay! My first invite!

Reactions: 4 users
Ha, believe it or not, for yet another site I received a day I can't reasonably make. I'm going have to move to a phone interview I think but it makes the whole original issue moot :) Everything is a catch-22. Too bad I cannot retract my email to the first site, I guess I will have to re-email with the update. Hopefully I don't look like too much of a flake. I wish this was one big doodle poll.
One of my sites had us sign up for interviews via doodle! I thought it was very creative. Bonus points! Ha! Good luck!!! Scheduling is a nightmare. Such a blessing to have so many offers but so stressful trying to make them all work!

Reactions: 2 users
Trying to not let my over-analyzing skills take over (read:neuroticism).

That said, did anyone who applied to the Women's Mental Health track at UNC SOM get an invite, or was it only behavioral med and TEACCH?

For what it's worth, I also applied to UNC SOM - CIDD and Clinical Child-Community and haven't heard anything.

I agree that it's very beneficial to have the opportunity to read about everyone's experience here. I am the only cohort in my year applying, and though I like all the students applying that are a year or two ahead of me, I don't know them nearly as well as the students in my cohort. Getting support from current and previous applicants here has been very helpful for me.

I know other applicants have shared similar stories, but I got extremely demoralized yesterday when I got rejected from a site I thought I had a fairly good chance of at least getting an interview at. However, I ended up getting an interview to a site that I thought was a real long shot a few hours ago. I guess there often is no rhyme or reason to this process!

As Dr.Oshow mentioned, don't get too discouraged if you get early rejections. I also recall reading about an applicant on the forums here last year who only got a single interview, but got accepted into the internship. Not only that, but the internship was the student's first choice out of all of the sites they applied to. It just takes one interview in some cases :)

Reactions: 6 users
RE: Match rate by number of interviews received: I wish they'd publish the match rate for interviews completed as well, not just interviews offered. I imagine those numbers are highly correlated, but I am sort of curious, for the people who get tons of interviews, whether they really then need to go do all of those interviews, or if they're just more competitive generally and could get by going to fewer. I knew someone who got over 10 (I can't remember exactly) interview offers last year, and it seems like knowing how many interviews you have to actually *do* to get matched would be more helpful. But, just my 2 cents!

The folks in my program who got more than 10 interviews, I can think of 3 who got 12 in recent years, went to all of them or did phone interviews when there were conflicts.

I know other applicants have shared similar stories, but I got extremely demoralized yesterday when I got rejected from a site I thought I had a fairly good chance of at least getting an interview at. However, I ended up getting an interview to a site that I thought was a real long shot a few hours ago. I guess there often is no rhyme or reason to this process!

That was definitely my experience last year. Best to just roll with it, and be grateful for what you are offered. There are probably at least one or a couple sites where you'll be offered an interview that you are stoked out of your mind about, and those are great :)

Reactions: 4 users