China and Eastern Asia 2015-2016 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

Started by snowpeach
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the invite! Yep the results for August 5 and 6 results were released today. I was also thinking they will inform either today or tomorrow. Will let you all know about how it goes 🙂
 
Just got the invite! Yep the results for August 5 and 6 results were released today. I was also thinking they will inform either today or tomorrow. Will let you all know about how it goes 🙂

That's nice! 🙂 can you tell us about your stats?
 
That's nice! 🙂 can you tell us about your stats?
Are you a local applicant? 🙂
Yep I am a local applicant. I would prefer not to go into specifics (yet) so here are my stats:
Academics (I'm using GPA for better comparison): around 3.8 out of 4
MCAT score percentile: around 75%
Clinical shadowing experience: around 100 hours, done over a few months
Research: Have done research for more than 5 years in total, but no peer-reviewed publications yet
Volunteering: Around 150 hours in different healthcare-based facilities, have been volunteering in 2 places for close to 2 years.


I submitted my app in early August.
 
Last edited:

Yep I am a local applicant. I would prefer not to go into specifics (yet) so here are my stats:
Academics (I'm using GPA for better comparison): around 3.8 out of 4
MCAT score percentile: around 75%
Clinical shadowing experience: around 100 hours, done over a few months
Research: Have done research for more than 5 years in total, but no peer-reviewed publications yet
Volunteering: Around 150 hours in different healthcare-based facilities, have been volunteering in 2 places for close to 2 years.


I submitted my app in early August.

I just received my invitation too. For those who are still waiting, please keep up your spirit! I hope you will get called too.

Anyone has any tips for applicant days?
 

Yep I am a local applicant. I would prefer not to go into specifics (yet) so here are my stats:
Academics (I'm using GPA for better comparison): around 3.8 out of 4
MCAT score percentile: around 75%
Clinical shadowing experience: around 100 hours, done over a few months
Research: Have done research for more than 5 years in total, but no peer-reviewed publications yet
Volunteering: Around 150 hours in different healthcare-based facilities, have been volunteering in 2 places for close to 2 years.


I submitted my app in early August.

That's very impressive actually.... All the best for your interview!
 

Yep I am a local applicant. I would prefer not to go into specifics (yet) so here are my stats:
Academics (I'm using GPA for better comparison): around 3.8 out of 4
MCAT score percentile: around 75%
Clinical shadowing experience: around 100 hours, done over a few months
Research: Have done research for more than 5 years in total, but no peer-reviewed publications yet
Volunteering: Around 150 hours in different healthcare-based facilities, have been volunteering in 2 places for close to 2 years.


I submitted my app in early August.

Hi bearwhiz, may I know how do we go about obtaining these clinical shadowing experiences? All the best for your applicant day anyways. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi bearwhiz, may I know how do we go about obtaining these clinical shadowing experiences? All the best for your applicant day anyways. 🙂

Hello! I attended forums/talks and approached the doctors whose fields of work I'm interested in, for the possibility of an observership with them. Are you applying this year too? Thank you!
 
I am in the same situation with very bad CARS and pysch scores.

129/123/130/126, overall 508, 77% percentile.

I really feel like I will be screened out easily due to my CARS score. What's the cut off for each section? Or I have no choice but to reapply for the next cycle?

Any kind soul care to advise? Especially students already enrolled in the program.

Many thanks!
 
Last edited:
I am in the same situation with very bad CARS and pysch scores.

129/123/130/126, overall 508, 77% percentile.

I really feel like I will be screened out easily due to my CARS score. What's the cut off for each section? Or I have no choice but to reapply for the next cycle?

Any kind soul care to advise? Especially students already enrolled in the program.

Many thanks!

I do hope that they look at the applications holistically. 🙁
 
Hi everyone!

Thanks snowpeach for setting this thread up! I'm also a local applicant. =)

Feeling kinda jittery cos I've submitted my application on the 31st Aug (same day as pm_me_your_mcat) but have not gotten any invites from them since.
Since pm_me_your_mcat has already gotten the invite and the application is based on a rolling admission process, does that mean I no longer stand a chance to be invited? =((
 
Hi everyone!

Thanks snowpeach for setting this thread up! I'm also a local applicant. =)

Feeling kinda jittery cos I've submitted my application on the 31st Aug (same day as pm_me_your_mcat) but have not gotten any invites from them since.
Since pm_me_your_mcat has already gotten the invite and the application is based on a rolling admission process, does that mean I no longer stand a chance to be invited? =((
Chill buddy 🙂 I submitted my application earlier than 31. Just that one of my recommenders only submitted his letter on 31 itself.

Hope that lightens you up a little 🙂
 
I submitted my MCAT score last Wednesday and they rendered my application complete the day after. I haven't gotten any invite too, tho probably a factor is that i'm an international applicant. Really scaring the hell out of me. :hungover:
 
Hi everyone!

Thanks snowpeach for setting this thread up! I'm also a local applicant. =)

Feeling kinda jittery cos I've submitted my application on the 31st Aug (same day as pm_me_your_mcat) but have not gotten any invites from them since.
Since pm_me_your_mcat has already gotten the invite and the application is based on a rolling admission process, does that mean I no longer stand a chance to be invited? =((

Chill buddy 🙂 I submitted my application earlier than 31. Just that one of my recommenders only submitted his letter on 31 itself.

Hope that lightens you up a little 🙂

Yeah I totally agree with pm_me_your_mcat. I know a few great applicants who submitted before 31st Aug but haven't gotten invites either. Don't worry too much, it will come!!! 🙂

I submitted my MCAT score last Wednesday and they rendered my application complete the day after. I haven't gotten any invite too, tho probably a factor is that i'm an international applicant. Really scaring the hell out of me. :hungover:

Yep I think international students get the invites later, since the interviews are later as well.
 
Hi everyone!

Thanks snowpeach for setting this thread up! I'm also a local applicant. =)

Feeling kinda jittery cos I've submitted my application on the 31st Aug (same day as pm_me_your_mcat) but have not gotten any invites from them since.
Since pm_me_your_mcat has already gotten the invite and the application is based on a rolling admission process, does that mean I no longer stand a chance to be invited? =((
The longest part of the med school application process is the waiting time to hear back from the school. With this thread, we can all share the bitter and the sweet of the process as prospective students. On the side note, I competed since June, and haven't heard a word back from the school. So no worries, you will be fine. Keep waiting 😉
 
Yeah man thanks bud! =) That really helps in calming me down.

I submitted my MCAT score last Wednesday and they rendered my application complete the day after. I haven't gotten any invite too, tho probably a factor is that i'm an international applicant. Really scaring the hell out of me. :hungover:

Yeah I totally agree with pm_me_your_mcat. I know a few great applicants who submitted before 31st Aug but haven't gotten invites either. Don't worry too much, it will come!!! 🙂



Yep I think international students get the invites later, since the interviews are later as well.

The longest part of the med school application process is the waiting time to hear back from the school. With this thread, we can all share the bitter and the sweet of the process as prospective students. On the side note, I competed since June, and haven't heard a word back from the school. So no worries, you will be fine. Keep waiting 😉

I couldn't agree more. I was very surprised for my own interview invitation too. I'm sure yours will come soon! Chill! 😉

It's however very heartwarming to have you all on this forum together. I believe the exchange of encouragement really helps making these much more bearable.

I hope we all would pull this through together. Still early, chances are plenty. Good luck to us all!🙂
 
I am a medical student from Taiwan and I am going to do medical elective in NUHS from November to December. The hospital requested me to purchase a professional liability insurance. Can someone introduce me some company which provide such insurance?
 
Bearwhiz and pm_me_your_mcat, how was the applicant dayyyy? 🙂)

Show yourself up, Bearwhiz!!! :highfive:

Haha, it was quite a fantastic experience. I was pretty stressful at the beginning of the day, but I think the faculty and interviewers were truly friendly and fantastic. Their kind and warm persona certainly made the applicant day a lot more enjoyable.

To fellow applicants today, it was really nice meeting all of you! Really hope we will get to meet each other again! Good luck to us!

I must admit that I plagiarized a joke though, LOL.
 
Bearwhiz and pm_me_your_mcat, how was the applicant dayyyy? 🙂)

Hey bradykinin, I totally agree with pm_me_your_mcat (omg that was not very easy to type out haha) that the faculty and interviewers were super friendly and awesome! The interviews felt more like conversations and get-to-know-you sessions than what would be typically expected of medical school interviews 🙂 I would think the most important thing is to be confident and communicative with the interviewers, and know the activities you wrote about well! So you can explain them clearly when asked about them.
Show yourself up, Bearwhiz!!! :highfive:

Haha, it was quite a fantastic experience. I was pretty stressful at the beginning of the day, but I think the faculty and interviewers were truly friendly and fantastic. Their kind and warm persona certainly made the applicant day a lot more enjoyable.

To fellow applicants today, it was really nice meeting all of you! Really hope we will get to meet each other again! Good luck to us!

I must admit that I plagiarized a joke though, LOL.


HAHAHAHA maybe sometime in the future 😛 Yeah great joke hahaha loudest silence???
 
Show yourself up, Bearwhiz!!! :highfive:

Haha, it was quite a fantastic experience. I was pretty stressful at the beginning of the day, but I think the faculty and interviewers were truly friendly and fantastic. Their kind and warm persona certainly made the applicant day a lot more enjoyable.

To fellow applicants today, it was really nice meeting all of you! Really hope we will get to meet each other again! Good luck to us!

I must admit that I plagiarized a joke though, LOL.

Yay, Congrats!!! That's awesome, at least one is down for you guys. Now it is time to wait for acceptance letter. 😉 How many applicants were invited per session?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay, Congrats!!! That's awesome, at least one is down for you guys. Now it is time to wait for acceptance letter. 😉 How many applicants were invited per session?

Our session had 16 applicants, around 50-50 male/female ratio. I think each applicant day typically has around 16-24 applicants.
 
Omg! So proud of you guys! 🙂 Did they mention anything about of the acceptance letters / other applicant day invites? 🙂
 
Omg! So proud of you guys! 🙂 Did they mention anything about of the acceptance letters / other applicant day invites? 🙂

They mentioned results will be released like soonest in 2 months. Didn't mention about other applicant days. Don't worry, I'm sure yours will arrive! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Omg! So proud of you guys! 🙂 Did they mention anything about of the acceptance letters / other applicant day invites? 🙂

We got our invites about a week in advance so I think yours will come in around mid to late October if you are shortlisted for the October applicant day 🙂
 
I was able to visit the country earlier this year. BEAUTIFUL metropolitan city and very clean. The only thing is the hot weather and high costs of living.

I would apply here if I had the scores.
 
I was able to visit the country earlier this year. BEAUTIFUL metropolitan city and very clean. The only thing is the hot weather and high costs of living.

I would apply here if I had the scores.
I have not been to the country yet, but I have heard similar things from friends who live/ have been there. I am excited to visit though. I would apply any way if I were you. What is there to lose? It only takes a little time and effort to complete the application. 🙂
 
Thanks bearwhiz and pm_me_your_mcat for all the wonderful insights into applicants' day! =) I do hope good news will come knocking your doors soon.
Please keep us posted on the progress ya? =D
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad