2015-2016 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Matriculating here next year - I'll try to update how the new Pathways curriculum goes as I get through it. As always, feel free to ask any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
How important is it to get an excellent letter from PI?
I've done research for 1+ years, no publications, presented at schools UG conference, writing senior thesis, but otherwise not a very close relationship with PI.
Will that sink me? This is a reach/dream school regardless

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks,
I will be matriculating here in the fall. I absolutely fell in love with HMS (especially after revisit). The facilities, opportunities, and (most importantly) the people were truly incredible. I’m extremely humbled and excited about the possibility of joining some amazing colleagues in the fall. There were some students on last year’s thread that were very helpful, and I hope I can do the same.

Stats (for 2014 entering class)-Source
-Applicants 6,614
-Admitted 231 (3.5%)
-Matriculated (includes 13 MD-PhD students) 164
-Men 84 (51%)
-Women 80 (49%)
-Underrepresented in medicine (African-American, Native American, Hispanic, Mexican-American) 31 (19%)
-Asian 56 (34%)

-Average GPA -3.8 Source
- Average MCAT
Verbal-11
Physical Science-12.41
Biological Science-12.67

(from revisit materials- for 2015 entering class)
- Applicants: 6113
- Interviewed: 813
- Total offers (as of revisit): 189
- Total URM: 41
- Total Asian: 56

Age Distribution for 2015 entering class (as of revisit)
upload_2015-5-11_14-3-1.png

Undergrad schools for 2015 entering class (as of revisit)
upload_2015-5-11_14-1-37.png

2015 Course Requirements (these are slightly different than in the past)

1. Biology-All applicants must complete a full year of biology. We will accept advanced or higher-level biology courses towards this requirement as well.
2. Chemistry-All applicants must complete a two year chemistry sequence that covers inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry.
3. Physics-All applicants must complete a full year of physics.
4.Laboratory Experience
Required laboratory components of biology and chemistry are no longer defined as discretely as they were in the past. Lengthy laboratory components of the required science requirement courses are not necessarily time well and efficiently spent. Proper focus on hypothesis-driven exercises, problem solving, and hands-on demonstrations of important principles should take precedence over lengthy laboratory time commitments that steal time away from other, more productive educational opportunities. Active, sustained participation in faculty-mentored laboratory research experiences is encouraged and can be used to meet requirements for the acquisition oflaboratory skills."

5. Computational Skills/Mathematics-All applicants must complete a one-year mathematics sequence that contains calculus and statistics. Biostatistics is preferred for the statistics portion of the requirement.
6. Analytical and writing skills/ expository writing-All applicants must complete a year of coursework that features expository writing. Generally, any course in the social sciences or humanities that involves substantial essay writing will count towards this requirement.
7. Language- All applicants should be fluent in English. It does also state that “mastery of a foreign language, although not required, is valuable”
8. Additional Requirements for the HST Program
In addition to all the above requirements, the HST curriculum requires that students be comfortable with upper-level mathematics (through differential equations and linear algebra), biochemistry, and molecular biology. This is usually demonstrated through upper level course work, but other approaches may satisfy these requirements. In addition, one year of calculus-based physics in college is required.

2014-2015 Secondary Application
1. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.
2. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)
3. Our interview season runs from midSeptember through January. Please indicate any significant (three or more weeks) restriction on your availability for interviews during this period. If none, leave blank.

*All of these prompts were optional.

2014-2015 Important Dates (Dates were obtained from last year’s SDN application thread)
- First secondary: 7/10
- First Interview Invites: Late August (I found the first reported IIs on 8/2)
- Last Interview Date: 1/29
- First acceptances: 3/3/15
- First Waitlist: 5/4 (from last year's application thread)

Financial Aid
-
For 2015-2016 Entering Students (MD)
Tuition- $55,850
Budget- $ 87 k

-Harvard uses the unit loan system. The unit Loan System is calculated as follows
Standard Budget - Family Contribution= Financial Need

- For example if the budget is 85k and EFC=0 Need= 85k. Since the unit loan is capped at 33k (for our class) that means that the remainder would be covered by “HMS Scholarship”

-HMS does not offer merit scholarships (all aid is need based). HMS need based aid tends to be one of the most generous. They also have a scaled EFC formula.

-HMS doesn’t match scholarship offers from other schools

Pathways Curriculum
-The Pathways Curriculum is new for this year. The goal was to rearrange the curriculum to start clinical during the first portion of the 2nd year. I will update as I go through it, but I am actually very excited about it.

Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology (HST) MD Program

Harvard/M.I.T. MD PhD Program

More info on MD-PhD

http://hst.mit.edu/academics/md

Of Note

-70-80% of first year students live in Vanderbilt Hall. This is a dorm style setup. Vandy is a cheap alternative to the (ridiculously) expensive housing in Boston. It is also across the street from TMEC (which is where classes are)

- If you are married or not interested in living in Vandy, Harvard does offer graduate student housing. I’m currently looking for housing and will update.

-2015 Match List

I will try to update this thing throughout the cycle. Please let me know if something doesn’t make sense, or if I missed any details.
Good luck!

Citation for formatting- Thank @hellanutella for being a rockstar and starting this trend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
@Tupacca what was your MCAT if you don't mind me asking? I didn't see it in your MDapps
Oh, I never remembered to update that thing. It was somewhere in the range of 31-35. That's broad, I know, but what I'm trying to say is that, I don't think it was necessarily my stats that got me in. Be passionate about something and pursue that passion. That was a common theme in the students that I met.

Out of curiosity, how much "free" time is there outside of class to pursue other stuff?

I got a letter from Harvard encouraging me to apply as a URM. I think it was based on my MCAT score, but there's something a bit off about it...

Me:
White
Middle Class
Male

How on earth would I get on their mailing list as URM?

I got a letter from Harvard encouraging me to apply as a URM. I think it was based on my MCAT score, but there's something a bit off about it...

Me:
White
Middle Class
Male

I got one too actually. Same situation.
And mine was also based on my MCAT score.

However, I live off campus near my University, and the area surrounding my school has a high socioeconomically disadvantaged population.
Because I had my address listed from this part of town when I took my MCAT, I'm assuming that it was just a simple mistake.

Me:
White
Middle Class
Male

Apply as a URM, get an interview, and when they ask, say "You told me to!!!"

Reactions: 4 users
Out of curiosity, how much "free" time is there outside of class to pursue other stuff?
"Out of curiosity" = actually gunning for HMS and just trying to play it cool
:hungry:

Members don't see this ad :)
Another entering 1st-year student. Married and... "more seasoned." Happy to answer questions as well as I can.

Tupacca really set the bar high - and I think that says something about why I chose HMS. You're going to learn pretty much the same thing at any of the top schools (in broad strokes: similar books, similar exams, similar lesson plans, etc.). Most curricula at these programs are fairly interchangeable. Pathways will be an interesting experiment, but it's nothing radical. The difference will really be in the people and resources to which you will be exposed. Resource-wise (hospitals, laboratories, funding, etc.), HMS is second to none. In terms of people, the instructors, researchers, physicians, and surgeons at Harvard are some of the best on this planet. And the students are amazing. They are the people with whom you will be wallowing in misery and doubt for the next four years, so find a place that attracts the type of people you want to be your peers.

And if you're a cowardly Californian who believes that civilization ends when frozen water tumbles from the sky, don't panic. Most people are capable of surviving winter with a little bit of planning and common sense.

Reactions: 10 users
And if you're a cowardly Californian who believes that civilization ends when frozen water tumbles from the sky, don't panic. Most people are capable of surviving winter with a little bit of planning and common sense.
You get a like just for that

Couldn't be more excited to stay in Boston and be at HMS next year, but civilization did kind of end this year when frozen water fell from the sky....

2. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

If an applicant writes a disadvantaged statement, does that make this optional essay redundant?
Assuming they touch upon the same types of things...

I filled it out. I was able to explain some situations in a more detail than in Amcas (my primary disadvantaged essay was only about 4 sentences long). Hopefully others can chime in on this topic.

Couldn't be more excited to stay in Boston and be at HMS next year, but civilization did kind of end this year when frozen water fell from the sky....

'Twas but a scratch!

If an applicant writes a disadvantaged statement, does that make this optional essay redundant?
Assuming they touch upon the same types of things...

I did not feel the need to answer this question. By this point in the application, I had covered a lot of ground and did not think it necessary. If you don't have anything new to say, certainly don't be redundant. And don't feel pressured to fill up every possible box: I answered Question #1 in about 1,900 characters, and skipped #2 and #3.

I'm not really particularly competitive for Harvard Med, but I am going to have a master's degree from Harvard and at least 4 letters of recommendation from Harvard faculty/staff, plus 3 years working at DFCI/BWH. I am considering throwing an app in just to see what happens...

If I get into Harvard, I'll write a book. Maybe my application will stand out because my stats are on the far end of the spectrum...the wrong end..

Reactions: 12 users
Despite the fact that HMS is one of those top tier research powerhouses who i would think are in favor of applicants with heavy research experience/publication, from my discussion with an admissions rep as well as the advent of the Pathways system which seems to have less of a focus on research it doesn't seem to be as big a focus. Can any current students attest to this? I for one would appreciate adcoms with a soft spot for community service in favor of research, but just curious what the vibe is from those that are currently at the institution.

Despite the fact that HMS is one of those top tier research powerhouses who i would think are in favor of applicants with heavy research experience/publication, from my discussion with an admissions rep as well as the advent of the Pathways system which seems to have less of a focus on research it doesn't seem to be as big a focus. Can any current students attest to this? I for one would appreciate adcoms with a soft spot for community service in favor of research, but just curious what the vibe is from those that are currently at the institution.

I'm not an HMS student, but I work at 2 harvard hospitals and I can tell you that if you don't do research you have 0 chance of getting hired as an attending or even as a fellow here. Not sure how directly that translates to HMS but I'd assume similar...

I'm not an HMS student, but I work at 2 harvard hospitals and I can tell you that if you don't do research you have 0 chance of getting hired as an attending or even as a fellow here. Not sure how directly that translates to HMS but I'd assume similar...
good to know. I have a decent amount of it on my app but i'm not pumping out publications or designing my own projects at this point like some of those stars applying to places like HMS.

good to know. I have a decent amount of it on my app but i'm not pumping out publications or designing my own projects at this point like some of those stars applying to places like HMS.
Nothing you can do at this point. Worth the application, still imo

Can't get in if you don't try!

can't agree more. I'm throwing my hat in the ring to see what'll come of it.

Can anyone shed light on how important the recommended letter of rec requirements are? All research PIs and a non-science?

Can anyone shed light on how important the recommended letter of rec requirements are? All research PIs and a non-science?
Yeah I have a question on this too. I don't think I can get a professor non-science letter. Are they pretty strict on that requirement?

Past threads have indicated the PI thing is not a big deal. Most schools want non-science letters though to prove you're not just a science nerd. Are you barred from applying or auto rejected? Of course not. It may even be neutral, but it might hurt depending on the people reading, I'm guessing.

Past threads have indicated the PI thing is not a big deal. Most schools want non-science letters though to prove you're not just a science nerd. Are you barred from applying or auto rejected? Of course not. It may even be neutral, but it might hurt depending on the people reading, I'm guessing.
Yeah good point. But i mean what would be worse. Say you don't know your non-science professors that well. Which would you rather risk? Being pretty sure that you'd get a run of the mill rec letter or maybe having someone on the adcom at a school think its strange not having a non-science letter?

Yeah good point. But i mean what would be worse. Say you don't know your non-science professors that well. Which would you rather risk? Being pretty sure that you'd get a run of the mill rec letter or maybe having someone on the adcom at a school think its strange not having a non-science letter?
That's a personal choice that only you can answer given your knowledge of the rest of your app. I don't have a science letter because I don't care for meaningless letters. YMMV

I'm a bit confused on non-science letter requirements.

Do these strictly have to be a non-science lecturer who taught you in college? I have two non-science letters, but they are from a current supervisor and a volunteer director.

I feel like letters like these both cover the "science-only nerd" base, but if Harvard has a hard requirement for a non-science lecturer letter then they won't be of much value.

have to be a non-science lecturer
I'm pretty sure when schools say "non-science" letter, they mean someone who has taught you in a non-science class. Harvard's not the only one who requires these...
That being said, if you have a committee letter from school, that trumps all these other individual LOR reqs

Any current MS here who elected not to fill out the second question on the secondary (below)? Caught between leaving it blank (I don't have any major adversity and I'm non-URM), and using it to tell them more about my background and where I come from and my personality/leadership, etc, but don't want to do that if it's not an appropriate space to do so.

Any current MS here who elected not to fill out the second question on the secondary (below)?
I mean, it says "Many applicants will not need to answer this question." From what you wrote it does not seem that this is an appropriate place to write that stuff, especially if it just rehashes stuff from ECs that are already on the app.

Any current MS here who elected not to fill out the second question on the secondary (below)? Caught between leaving it blank (I don't have any major adversity and I'm non-URM), and using it to tell them more about my background and where I come from and my personality/leadership, etc, but don't want to do that if it's not an appropriate space to do so.

From what i've gathered from their rep, it's primarily to talk about something that you didn't feel comfortable putting on the national app (AMCAS) but wanted to discretely disclose it only to schools of your choosing. Part of it comes down to the liberal nature of Massachusetts as opposed to other states. She said absolutely do not feel obliged to fill it out.

From what i've gathered from their rep, it's primarily to talk about something that you didn't feel comfortable putting on the national app (AMCAS) but wanted to discretely disclose it only to schools of your choosing. Part of it comes down to the liberal nature of Massachusetts as opposed to other states. She said absolutely do not feel obliged to fill it out.
Gotcha. Thanks for sharing, that makes compete sense.

So liberal....yet continues to elect Republican governors...

jkjkjkjkjk Baker is my man

Meh. I voted on all of the ballot questions and local elections. Couldn't bring myself to vote for either of those *****s (I think I just checked off the green party candidate).

Meh. I voted on all of the ballot questions and local elections. Couldn't bring myself to vote for either of those *****s (I think I just checked off the green party candidate).
Checking it off still counts. Also, I don't think one can feasibly pin Baker as a *****...anyone who spends almost a decade leading Harvard Pilgrim and having been head of MA HHS knows how to get stuff done. He's certainly no bread-and-butter GOP member, that's for sure. I, for one, am glad that there's another head honcho in MA who's a health care guy. He did really great things at Pilgrim and quite deserving of the "best quality health plan" awards that were given during his tenure. Much better than Coakley IMO. I don't like it when career lawyers/AG/DA types become governors because they bring a gung ho approach and some ego that just doesn't work when you're not a prosecutor anymore. (Also, law practice ≠ policy experience.) We'll see what happens, though.

I'm also gonna throw my hat into the ring. Stats are below average, but hey it's worth a shot and if somehow successful, it's the opportunity of a lifetime. Dreamers need to stick together.

I'm also gonna throw my hat into the ring. Stats are below average, but hey it's worth a shot and if somehow successful, it's the opportunity of a lifetime. Dreamers need to stick together.
True. But even if you aren't successful, you'll still be the avatar.

Reactions: 2 users
I, for one, am glad that there's another head honcho in MA who's a health care guy. He did really great things at Pilgrim and quite deserving of the "best quality health plan" awards that were given during his tenure.

Meh. R+D=Same.