General Admissions & OTCAS 2015-2016 stats/interview/rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted to Nova Southeastern's OTD program a couple of weeks ago. Anyone else accepted to this program?
I was accepted yesterday! Did you decide to accept the spot and put the deposit down?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from Boston University? Interviews are this weekend but I haven't heard a yes or no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im just curious if anyone has heard from UAB yet? They sent out an email a while ago saying it would take 2-3 weeks to review applications, and that interviews would be in early February? But I haven't seen anyone post that they have heard from them so I was just curious. Thanks!

Im just curious if anyone has heard from UAB yet? They sent out an email a while ago saying it would take 2-3 weeks to review applications, and that interviews would be in early February? But I haven't seen anyone post that they have heard from them so I was just curious. Thanks!

I received an interview invitation last week, but had to decline.

I got an invitation for an interview last Thursday.

If you hear back from them about how long it should be until we hear about admission decisions you should let me know!

I just got an email back--they said they are currently reviewing applications and hope to have decisions sent out in the next few weeks.

I got an email saying I was wait listed yesterday.
I was waitlisted to interview, is that what you had as well? I think they take mostly in state students but I'm not sure.

I definitely will :) Good luck to us both .[/QUOTE

Interview for Howard next week via Skype. Have you heard anything? This will be my first Skype interview. I was pretty set on going to UTMB but now we shall see... Lol.

Congrats I'm happy for you ! I didn't hear anything . My GRE scores are bad so I'm lucky if I get an interview . I pray that you'll do good ! Did u find out through email ?

Congrats I'm happy for you ! I didn't hear anything . My GRE scores are bad so I'm lucky if I get an interview . I pray that you'll do good ! Did u find out through email ?
Thank you. Mine aren't that great either so hopefully you'll hear something. Yes, it was via email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I GOT AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER FROM D'YOUVILLE! :soexcited:

Anyone else? I have to admit I know nothing about the program or Buffalo itself, but the fact that I got accepted to a program is huge for me!

The only thing I am struggling with is the fact that your seat in the class is awarded on a first come, first served basis. So basically they accept more people than they actually plan to enroll, and those that deposit first actually get in.

I have to interviews in the next 10 days. I've already paid all my travel expenses, so I hate to not go to these interviews (at schools I really fell in love with). But at the same time, I am terrified that if I don't pay my $500 deposit immediately, I will lose my seat. Can anyone give me feedback on this? I find the situation to be very odd.

Reactions: 1 user
University: small school '16 & community college
Major: psych
Overall GPA: 3.86 | Pre-Req GPA: ~ 3.9-4 | GRE: V157 Q156 A4.5
otcas verified 9/10

OT volunteer/observation: ~750 hrs / 11 settings
Rehab Institute of Chicago (RIC) units: stroke IP, orthotics IP, peds IP & OP, TBI IP, research OP
other: hand, equine, school, SNF, home health

work: SNF programs assistant (400), home care aide - 2 seniors PD & stroke (1500), retail (1400)
internships: RIC- TBI rehab (100)
volunteer: RIC- adaptive rock climbing & basketball (75), animal shelter (200), tutor (50), Misericordia leader (50)
extracurricular: pres./founder pre-OT club (80), RIC pt ambassador (50)
research: r.a. UIC dpt. dev. disabilities (35), RIC- shadow OT study arm rehab post-stroke (20) -> OT r.a. wheelchair accessibility/airline boarding (50)
honors/certifications: academic scholarships,
CPR/BLS/First Aid/IRB, etc

applying: Midwestern IL, Rush(received GRE late), UW Milwaukee, UW Madison, Carrol U., Wash U. St. Louis, U Indiana, Huntington
rejected:
interviews: Huntington 10/23, Midwestern IL 10/27, U Indiana 12/5 (declined), Rush 12/21 (declined)
waitlist:
accepted: Huntington 10/29, Midwestern IL 11/2, UW-Madison 11/10, Wash U 11/18, Indiana State 2/4 didnt apply here??
attending: Midwestern IL!!!!
First and foremost, your stats are incredible! I wanted to ask your opinion of the Huntington program, since you have interviewed already. Also, is there a particular reason why you chose another school over Huntington? I'm an east coast applicant, so I can't say that I have researched a lot of school in the mid-west. Thank you and congratulations!

Anyone else? I have to admit I know nothing about the program or Buffalo itself, but the fact that I got accepted to a program is huge for me!

The only thing I am struggling with is the fact that your seat in the class is awarded on a first come, first served basis. So basically they accept more people than they actually plan to enroll, and those that deposit first actually get in.

I have to interviews in the next 10 days. I've already paid all my travel expenses, so I hate to not go to these interviews (at schools I really fell in love with). But at the same time, I am terrified that if I don't pay my $500 deposit immediately, I will lose my seat. Can anyone give me feedback on this? I find the situation to be very odd.

Hi HopefulOT17,

Congrats on your acceptance to Dyouville! I am waiting to hear from them, last I was told was that they would be sending letters out at the end of this week. Did you receive your acceptance through mail or email?

YAY!! Congrats to you ! I know you're ecstatic ! Did they send it out through email ?

That's unfortunate. My deposits for my top 2 choices are 300 and 250, respectively, so I'm most likely putting both down because I don't know all the costs of one of the programs yet. One school that I got rejected to (which I'm kind of happy I did now) would have been 1000 dollars within 2 weeks! Ridiculous.

I'm sure other people need time to decide as well, so what if you wait until after the interview, but before the admissions offers come back? Ask admissions how many spots are left after you plunk down the deposit, and then decide based on spots left?

My acceptance came in the mail yesterday!

I have decided to deposit because I'm so afraid I'll lose my spot if I don't. But I am also going on one more interview. I'm not confident that I'll get into the other program, but its worth a shot.

In the end, all that matters is two years of hard work have paid off and I am finally going to be an OT!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
First and foremost, your stats are incredible! I wanted to ask your opinion of the Huntington program, since you have interviewed already. Also, is there a particular reason why you chose another school over Huntington? I'm an east coast applicant, so I can't say that I have researched a lot of school in the mid-west. Thank you and congratulations!

Thank you! Now that I've heard from a program I feel like I have a life again and not just volunteering haha. I chose midwestern because it's 15 mins from my house and I can live at home. I really liked Huntington's program and their presentation when interviewing. I wasn't intending on going there because it wasn't accredited and I wanted to stay in IL so I was gonna use it as a practice interview, however they really made me reconsider since they are a new facility with all new equipment working close with professors. You get to do research and they work hard to get you the field work placement you want. I'm not sure how much tuition is, but the down side was that its 3.5 years I think and a OTD program doesn't benefit you more then the masters. On the plus side, they will be accredited by the fall :)

Hey Everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that I got an email inviting me to a Skype interview this Tuesday. Good Luck Everyone!

Thank you! Now that I've heard from a program I feel like I have a life again and not just volunteering haha. I chose midwestern because it's 15 mins from my house and I can live at home.

Heey, high-five from the same general area of IL! I applied to Midwestern but haven't heard back, so I assume my dream of going to grad school while living at home is a no-go, haha. I'm glad you liked Huntington! I have been contemplating doctorate over master's, since I am interested in research and potentially starting my own programs in emerging areas of practice. But since this is my second year applying, I am also happy with whoever thinks I'm good enough P:

Hey Everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that I got an email inviting me to a Skype interview this Tuesday. Good Luck Everyone!
Congratulations, thats awesome! When did you receive the email if you don't mind me asking?

I just called graduate admissions at D'YOUVILLE and found out I was accepted ! I just paid my $500 deposit ! I live in South Carolina and I guess my official letter just hasn't came yet but my admissions counselor verified that I did get in . She was very helpful.

My stats: I graduated from University of South Carolina with a 3.48 GPA. My last 3 semesters I had a 3.9 twice and a 3.8 once. My observation hours were 182 in one setting South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department. I also currently work there currently as a physical therapy aide and water aerobics instructor .

Good luck everybody ! God knows your heart and if OT is your true passion do NOT give up ! He is so faithful !

Reactions: 2 users
I just called graduate admissions at D'YOUVILLE and found out I was accepted ! I just paid my $500 deposit ! I live in South Carolina and I guess my official letter just hasn't came yet but my admissions counselor verified that I did get in . She was very helpful.

My stats: I graduated from University of South Carolina with a 3.48 GPA. My last 3 semesters I had a 3.9 twice and a 3.8 once. My observation hours were 182 in one setting South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department. I also currently work there currently as a physical therapy aide and water aerobics instructor .

Good luck everybody ! God knows your heart and if OT is your true passion do NOT give up ! He is so faithful !

Wow, congratulations!! I'm out of town currently and so I won't be checking my mail for a week, it's so nerve racking. Did you speak to Terry Herring or someone else?

Wow, congratulations!! I'm out of town currently and so I won't be checking my mail for a week, it's so nerve racking. Did you speak to Terry Herring or someone else?
Thank you ! :) My counselor is Ms Mary Sue. I called her and gave her my last name and birthday and she verified that I got in ! So you should call your admissions counselor if you don't have access to your mail!

University: Miami University (OH)
Major: Kinesiology (B.S)
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.8
GRE: 156 V, 163 Q, 4.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: Varsity Athlete, Member of Autism Speaks and Best Buddies, Lifeguard/Swim Instructor, Research Experience (study on inflammation and aging, mostly do data collection/entry), Member of Dean's Student Advisory Council for my College

Observations: 150 total hours;
60 hours Pediatrics (50 at a school for students with emotional & intellectual disabilities, 10 outpatient at Cincinnati Children's Hospital), 30 in Hand Therapy, 60 Geriatrics (nursing home/rehabilitation center),

Volunteer: YL Capernaum (<500 hours between weekly meetings/activities and camp), foster of a Service Dog in Training, media & technology internship for a pediatric cancer non-profit over winter term, part of worship team at my church, partner for an art program for people w dementia

Only have applied to Belmont!
(I have full scholarship for 4 years of undergrad, but have finished my program in 3 years; if I don't get in this round, the plan is to do another year of undergrad, pick up a psych major or disability studies minor, and reapply next fall)

UPDATE: INTERVIEWING AT BELMONT 1/29!!!

UPDATE ACCEPTED TO BELMONT!

Reactions: 2 users

CONGRATULATIONS! Ahhh, that is so exciting! I know I am still filled with utter joy from receiving my acceptance. Just wait until you get your official letter and you get to see it in writing! That's when it all sunk in for me! And when I shelled out the $500 for my deposit hahah.

Reactions: 1 users

CONGRATULATIONS! Ahhh, that is so exciting! I know I am still filled with utter joy from receiving my acceptance. Just wait until you get your official letter and you get to see it in writing! That's when it all sunk in for me! And when I shelled out the $500 for my deposit hahah.
You will have to be sure and let us know if you get in too! Fingers crossed you get the good news too! :xf:

Would you definitely attend or are you still weighing other options?

Thanks girl :) Future classmates hopefully ! Are you planning on staying on campus if you attend or getting an apartment ?

Thanks girl :) Future classmates hopefully ! Are you planning on staying on campus if you attend or getting an apartment ?
Campus is an option, but I find it pricey. I'm tempted to go for a place like Collegiate Village. I've read mixed things about it, but the only utility you pay separate is electric and they run shuttles to campus. You should Google it. I'm sure there are semi cheaper options of stand alone apartments, but the whole rent covers water/heat/cable/internet/maintenance/security with in-suite laundry, a private bedroom/bathroom, and a pool/clubhouse sounds worth it. Obviously something I'll have to seriously consider, but that's a strong contender. I'm hoping to get up there sooner rather than later to tour the school and potential apartments.

What were you thinking about?

Campus is an option, but I find it pricey. I'm tempted to go for a place like Collegiate Village. I've read mixed things about it, but the only utility you pay separate is electric and they run shuttles to campus. You should Google it. I'm sure there are semi cheaper options of stand alone apartments, but the whole rent covers water/heat/cable/internet/maintenance/security with in-suite laundry, a private bedroom/bathroom, and a pool/clubhouse sounds worth it. Obviously something I'll have to seriously consider, but that's a strong contender. I'm hoping to get up there sooner rather than later to tour the school and potential apartments.

What were you thinking about?
Thanks for telling me about that option ! It includes a lot and I wouldn't have to worry about furnishing an apartment . It sounds sweet to me as long as the electric bill stays under 150 lol. I'm guessing the two people can split that in half . I wanted a one bedroom but I'm also not trying to be struggling financially . I really like that they have shuttles and a washer and dryer ! I was considering an apartment but I think I'll have to take a look at this place some more

Thanks for telling me about that option ! It includes a lot and I wouldn't have to worry about furnishing an apartment . It sounds sweet to me as long as the electric bill stays under 150 lol. I'm guessing the two people can split that in half . I wanted a one bedroom but I'm also not trying to be struggling financially . I really like that they have shuttles and a washer and dryer ! I was considering an apartment but I think I'll have to take a look at this place some more
The fact that it is furnished is a huge plus, and while I don't see myself relying on the shuttle a lot, it would certainly be nice to not dig my car out after it snows two feet! I thought about a studio apartment, but they are more pricey than I was hoping for. I didn't think the price for the two bedroom was all that bad. I've pretty much decided that since I can't afford to live alone, I definitely want to room with someone else that is in the program. At the least, that person will be on a similar schedule and understand the work load. Best scenario is that we get along great and we become study buddies hahah. I'm trying not to over think it yet, but everything about this process is exciting to me. I'm already counting down the days until August!

The fact that it is furnished is a huge plus, and while I don't see myself relying on the shuttle a lot, it would certainly be nice to not dig my car out after it snows two feet! I thought about a studio apartment, but they are more pricey than I was hoping for. I didn't think the price for the two bedroom was all that bad. I've pretty much decided that since I can't afford to live alone, I definitely want to room with someone else that is in the program. At the least, that person will be on a similar schedule and understand the work load. Best scenario is that we get along great and we become study buddies hahah. I'm trying not to over think it yet, but everything about this process is exciting to me. I'm already counting down the days until August!
I know it seems like our personalities are already similar ! Maybe we can room together if you decide 100% of D'Youville :) She also told me orientation was June 2nd I believe ! I might have got the date mixed up but I wanted to go check out places then.

You will have to be sure and let us know if you get in too! Fingers crossed you get the good news too! :xf:

Would you definitely attend or are you still weighing other options?

Sadly I was told they haven't made a decision on my application yet. She told me if they decide to create a waiting list that I would be put on it. But she did let me know that the fact it's not a flat out rejection means I may still have a chance. Fingers crossed! This is my first year applying, I never knew how difficult of a process it was.

I'm happy for you guys!!!

Update just received the Skype interview invite for Howard for next Tuesday! If anybody who interviewed there has any tips, or questions they may have asked I'd greatly appreciate it!

Sadly I was told they haven't made a decision on my application yet. She told me if they decide to create a waiting list that I would be put on it. But she did let me know that the fact it's not a flat out rejection means I may still have a chance. Fingers crossed! This is my first year applying, I never knew how difficult of a process it was.

I'm happy for you guys!!!
Good luck ! And keep the faith . It's not a rejection ! I was rejected last year by two schools so don't give up !

University: Indiana University, Bloomington
Major: Human Development and Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.65
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.7-3.8 (depending on the school)

Rejections: Rush University, probably Midwestern U (haven't heard anything)

Interviews: UTMB (Declined to interview) Indiana University

Waitlisted: Indiana University

Acceptances: TWU Houston, Indiana State University :) EDIT: ACCEPTED to Indiana University off of the waitlist on 2/16!!!! :banana:

Last edited:
University: UIC
Major: Psychology with a minor in Criminal Justice
Overall GPA: 3.5
Prereq GPA: Depends on program but roughly a 3.5
Last 60 hours: 3.7
Observation: Worked as an OT/PT tech for about a year and ~800 working hours, 10 in geriatric, 20 in peds, and 15 in a school setting

Rejections: UIC

Waitlisted: Midwestern (IL and AZ) and A.T. Still

Acceptances: TBA (Still waiting to hear from UWashington, UW-Milwaukee, Carroll University

Interviews: Skype interview Thursday for Elmhurst College!

Major: Communication Science and Disorders
Prereq GPA: Depends on program but roughly 3.6-3.8
Observation: 125 hours in peds, acute, impatient, stroke, hand/shoulder therapy
Rejections: East Carolina, AT Still (never got a response)

Waitlisted: Midwestern IL, Pitt

Acceptances: USciences

Interviews: Midwestern IL, Tennessee State (turned down)

Still waiting on two more. Does anyone have any insight on Winston Salem's or Towson's Programs?

Major: Communication Science and Disorders
Prereq GPA: Depends on program but roughly 3.6-3.8
Observation: 125 hours in peds, acute, impatient, stroke, hand/shoulder therapy
Rejections: East Carolina, AT Still (never got a response)

Waitlisted: Midwestern IL, Pitt

Acceptances: USciences

Interviews: Midwestern IL, Tennessee State (turned down)

Still waiting on two more. Does anyone have any insight on Winston Salem's or Towson's Programs?
According to the last two application cycles, we should be hearing back from Towson through email today about whether we made it to the second round or not. If not today we should hear soon. I hope we hear today though!!

Major: Biological Sciences (Biomedicine concentration)
Minor: Psychology
GPA: 3.2
Experience: Over 1000 hours of working with OTs.

Accepted: Nova Southeastern OTD, Huntington University
Wait listed: Belmont University OTD
Interviewed: East Carolina
TBD: Ohio State, Colorado State, University of Washington
Rejected: University of Indianapolis OTD, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

- Have anyone that interviewed for Belmont in November and were wait listed heard back from them yet?
- Are accepted people to Nova Southeastern OTD planning on flying down or living in Florida?

Major: Biological Sciences (Biomedicine concentration)
Minor: Psychology
GPA: 3.2
Experience: Over 1000 hours of working with OTs.

Accepted: Nova Southeastern OTD, Huntington University
Wait listed: Belmont University OTD
Interviewed: East Carolina
TBD: Ohio State, Colorado State, University of Washington
Rejected: University of Indianapolis OTD, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

- Have anyone that interviewed for Belmont in November and were wait listed heard back from them yet?
- Are accepted people to Nova Southeastern OTD planning on flying down or living in Florida?
I also got in the OTD at Nova but I live in Florida. I know a number of current students fly in each month but I think majority live on campus. Where do you plan on attending?

University: Indiana University, Bloomington
Major: Human Development and Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.65
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.7-3.8 (depending on the school)

Rejections: Rush University, probably Midwestern U (haven't heard anything)

Interviews: UTMB (Declined to interview)

Waitlisted: Indiana University, Indianapolis

Acceptances: TWU Houston, Indiana State University :)

If you don't mind me asking, after you completed your application to ISU did they send you any kind of follow up email or did they just send an acceptance email?