-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Tulane University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I have a log in but i emailed a while agoI don't think Gibson is going to be active for us until sometime in March, if I remember from an earlier email.
I have a log in but i emailed a while ago
Yeah, we have login information. But when you log in does it actually do anything? Mine doesn't yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have a link to this form? I can't find the email I received about it a while back
http://tulane.edu/financialaid/hsc/som/som-application.cfm
Top link on right side.
What is anything? I can log on and see a menu and I was given an email address that I've been able to use.Yeah, we have login information. But when you log in does it actually do anything? Mine doesn't yet.
I do not get redirected to home screen, but I emailed asking for Gibson log in before they sent it out, so I wouldn't worry if you don't get it. I still can't really do anything special on gibson- I can just see options
And thanks for the heads up on the financial aid form
Last edited:
I filled out the medical school addendum but when I clicked submit it took me to the *continuing students addendum* confirmation page and it says I submitted that form instead. Looks like I'll be calling financial aid on Monday, but just a heads up if it happens to anyone else
I'm on my fourth week of waiting for an interview response. Should I read in to that?
I'm on my fourth week of waiting for an interview response. Should I read in to that?
Me too. I interviewed 1/29 and haven't heard anything...starting to fear the worst.
Fear not! We had Mardi Gras right in the middle of that, and the city shuts down for at least a week. Also, committee members' schedules have to line up for them to discuss your application and make a decision, so maybe your people are taking a bit longer than others.
Fear not! We had Mardi Gras right in the middle of that, and the city shuts down for at least a week. Also, committee members' schedules have to line up for them to discuss your application and make a decision, so maybe your people are taking a bit longer than others.
Ah yes, makes sense. Hopefully we hear soon! Thanks!
For what it's worth I'm almost definitely going to be withdrawing my acceptance soon! Hope one of you guys gets the spot!!I want to make a new support thread for those who fell in love with Tulane/New Orleans but were placed on the acceptance range list.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Finally rejected today pre-II. I'm flattered at least that they held on to me for this long!
Current students, @augeremt : How much do you think is a reasonable cost of living estimate for someone trying to save money?
I feel like you should be able to get by on 800 for rent and utilities (9600 for 12 months) + 4,000 at most on food + keep entertainment budget at 1,000. That is $15K-->> $20K in loans when you consider origination fees
Then when 3rd year comes around, that $1K and leftover food budget goes towards transport and entertainment.
Would it be realistic to assume $80K/yr is the cost?
I feel like you should be able to get by on 800 for rent and utilities (9600 for 12 months) + 4,000 at most on food + keep entertainment budget at 1,000. That is $15K-->> $20K in loans when you consider origination fees
Then when 3rd year comes around, that $1K and leftover food budget goes towards transport and entertainment.
Would it be realistic to assume $80K/yr is the cost?
Current students, @augeremt : How much do you think is a reasonable cost of living estimate for someone trying to save money?
I feel like you should be able to get by on 800 for rent and utilities (9600 for 12 months) + 4,000 at most on food + keep entertainment budget at 1,000. That is $15K-->> $20K in loans when you consider origination fees
Then when 3rd year comes around, that $1K and leftover food budget goes towards transport and entertainment.
Would it be realistic to assume $80K/yr is the cost?
As a current student, you can get by on even less than that. Many students find housing/utilities for cheaper than $800, although I will say that is a good estimate for some of the nicer parts of town. I've managed to keep my expenses below what you've estimated. New Orleans can be expensive in terms of housing but everything else (food, entertainment, etc.) is not particularly costly.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Acceptance range :/ Interviewed 2/22.
The email was such a bait and switch though--my Mail app only showed "Tulane University School of Medicine: Accepta..." in the preview and I nearly had a heart attack out of excitement. Opened the email to see the rest of it and went from total excitement to pure dejection in 1 second.
Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back, and also to those on the waitlist!
The email was such a bait and switch though--my Mail app only showed "Tulane University School of Medicine: Accepta..." in the preview and I nearly had a heart attack out of excitement. Opened the email to see the rest of it and went from total excitement to pure dejection in 1 second.
Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back, and also to those on the waitlist!
Acceptance range :/ Interviewed 2/22.
The email was such a bait and switch though--my Mail app only showed "Tulane University School of Medicine: Accepta..." in the preview and I nearly had a heart attack out of excitement. Opened the email to see the rest of it and went from total excitement to pure dejection in 1 second.
Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back, and also to those on the waitlist!
Did they happen to tell you when the last interview day would be?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I'm 90% sure the last interview day was that Friday, so 2/26. I remember talking to the admissions person and them saying that it was very difficult to reschedule because they only had that one day left in February.Did they happen to tell you when the last interview day would be?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
*edit* Also the 'Acceptance Range' email they sent to me says "...most movement from this category will not occur until after we have completed interviews in February with the peak activity occurring during the month of May."
I'm 90% sure the last interview day was that Friday, so 2/26. I remember talking to the admissions person and them saying that it was very difficult to reschedule because they only had that one day left in February.
*edit* Also the 'Acceptance Range' email they sent to me says "...most movement from this category will not occur until after we have completed interviews in February with the peak activity occurring during the month of May."
Thanks! I am also acceptance range...so here's to hoping for good news in May!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
As a current student, you can get by on even less than that. Many students find housing/utilities for cheaper than $800, although I will say that is a good estimate for some of the nicer parts of town. I've managed to keep my expenses below what you've estimated. New Orleans can be expensive in terms of housing but everything else (food, entertainment, etc.) is not particularly costly.
What he/she said. Housing can be anywhere from $500+ depending on the number of roommates and where you live. Food and entertainment are relatively cheap here, although if you want to eat well (fruits and vegetables), it can get somewhat pricey.
I also moved from a relatively cheap cost-of-living locale so my perception of what counts as expensive food is a little skewed. Eating out and doing fun stuff are both cheaper than most parts of the country though, and I often joke that'd it'd be cheaper to eat out than cook real meals. But I digress.
So I've been looking at housing as well and was wondering whether more students live in the CBD or Mid-City and which is safer/more convenient for students. Any opinions would be much appreciated!
Like housing anywhere, this is going to depend on your particular situation. Will you have a car? If not, CBD is closer to the school and may be more convenient. Mid-City is a better option if you have a bike/car in terms of rent costs, space, etc. I personally live in the Garden District/Uptown area because I like being close to the undergrad campus, restaurants, etc. while still being relatively close to school.
If you haven't already, check out some of the housing info that's been posted in the Class of 2020 FB group and it might give you a better feel for the city.
So, who else here is watching this thread like a hawk so see if there's any acceptance range movement?
YES! 🙂
Thank god I'm not the only oneYES! 🙂
You don't need Gibson yet. The addendum is on the Tulane website (search financial aid, make sure you're in the medical student area, then look on the right hand side). You'll see a link to the addendum forms for this year.If we can't log on to Gibson yet, are we expected to submit our Addendum forms?
Besides Fafsa, what forms are we responsible for at this stage exactly? It was my impression that most scholarships are considered automatically.
Thanks!
You don't need Gibson yet. The addendum is on the Tulane website (search financial aid, make sure you're in the medical student area, then look on the right hand side). You'll see a link to the addendum forms for this year.
Thanks!
I did the search, and there's like 12 forms.
Which exactly are needed for incoming MS1?
Thanks!
I did the search, and there's like 12 forms.
Which exactly are needed for incoming MS1?
I'm pretty sure the only one we need to fill out is the 2016-2017 medical school addendum, pretty quick form🙂
You don't need Gibson yet. The addendum is on the Tulane website (search financial aid, make sure you're in the medical student area, then look on the right hand side). You'll see a link to the addendum forms for this year.
you're a lifesaver--thank you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know if we need to submit any copies of our or our parents' tax forms?
New tuition posted....$60K @_o
Last edited:
It is a 1.5K increase, so it is projected to be 65K our 4th year since 1.5K increase is similar to the increases in other yearswhat was it last year, Mansamusa?
What accounts for the increase in tuition every year? It seems like there's no strong commitment on the administration side to keeping these increases to a minimum. I hope that money is going directly to benefiting the students' education. This school is awesome but 60k is ridiculous, especially if they aren't generous with aid.
Idk, 60k for tuition seems pretty comparable to other private school tuitions I've seen, albeit maybe a tiny bit higher. However a lot of other cities are going to have a higher cost of living than Nola. Not to say that 60k isn't a ton of money though.
you're right. guess I just am hoping I don't have to drive myself into 350-400k of debt. I know private schools dont have the same responsibility to keep costs low as public school does, but it would be nice to know what efforts are being made to make attending their school as affordable as possible. I know they make the whole speal on interview day about how med school is a great investment in the long run, but it's hard to fully buy into when you know that 350k+ (not even including undergrad?) is waiting for you at the end.
Yeah, the tuition increase will net them an extra million dollars, so they will make a total of 10million dollars of additional profit on just tuition increases over the course of 4 yrs. You have to wonder why that 10 million is needed.you're right. guess I just am hoping I don't have to drive myself into 350-400k of debt. I know private schools dont have the same responsibility to keep costs low as public school does, but it would be nice to know what efforts are being made to make attending their school as affordable as possible. I know they make the whole speal on interview day about how med school is a great investment in the long run, but it's hard to fully buy into when you know that 350k+ (not even including undergrad?) is waiting for you at the end.
To recruit and pay top notch faculty?Yeah, the tuition increase will net them an extra million dollars, so they will make a total of 10million dollars of additional profit on just tuition increases over the course of 4 yrs. You have to wonder why that 10 million is needed.
does anyone know if we need to submit any copies of our or our parents' tax forms?
pretty sure the addendum asks for signed copies of parents tax returns to be considered for need based aid
pretty sure the addendum asks for signed copies of parents tax returns to be considered for need based aid
Did y'all email them your parental tax returns? I couldn't find a place to upload them with the supplemental form online.
Did y'all email them your parental tax returns? I couldn't find a place to upload them with the supplemental form online.
I emailed them and asked them how to send attachments and they told me to send any attachments by mail to the following address:
Tulane University
Financial Aid Processing Center
P. O. Box 8090
Portsmouth, NH 03802
I emailed them and asked them how to send attachments and they told me to send any attachments by mail to the following address:
Tulane University
Financial Aid Processing Center
P. O. Box 8090
Portsmouth, NH 03802
Oh that's good to know, thank you!
Oh that's good to know, thank you!
Also they said be sure and attach a top sheet with your name and your Tulane ID number.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
has anyone been pulled off of the WL yet?
Probably not. I feel like Tulane usually over accepts and then waits for people to withdraw their acceptances, so it's probably a little early for enough people to have done that to have them go to he waitlist. Although I wish to God that wasn't the case.
They did not report any data.Anybody with a current MSAR want to let us know what it says about Tulane's Waitlist?
Is there an email to send letters of intents and updates?
They did not report any data.
Is there an email to send letters of intents and updates?
I have been uploading updates to my applicant portal (click "Document Upload", I believe under User Profile tab). I send an email to [email protected] with a brief message that I updated my applicant portal. Good luck!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K