2015-2016 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They have no way of knowing where you've been accepted until after March 15 as far as I know. If they accept you, only then can they see where else you hold acceptances before that date.

Can you explain how this works/provide a link to the process?

Members don't see this ad.

They have no way of knowing where you've been accepted until after March 15 as far as I know. If they accept you, only then can they see where else you hold acceptances before that date.
So basically, they accept you, then look at your other offers then put together a merit package? I don't know if you know all this info, but i am curious nonetheless.

Can you explain how this works/provide a link to the process?
https://www.aamc.org/admissions/admissionslifecycle/409120/trafficrules.html

That's the official link to the "traffic rules." I can't find the post where @gyngyn (or someone else?) explained the important dates, but here's how I understand that document:

October 15: First acceptances can go out
February 10: "Multiple Acceptance Report" is available - schools who have already accepted you can see where else you hold acceptances
March 15: Each school has to have admitted at least enough students to fill their entering class
March 15 (also): Schools who have waitlisted you can see where you hold acceptances (but no other school can ever see where you are on the waitlist) *as explained by gyngyn*
April 30: Applicants must withdraw all but one acceptance, but can remain on any number of waitlists.
*note that technically this last date falls on a Saturday, so the enforced date SHOULD be May 2 this year - but each school is responsible for enforcing the rule so it will likely vary*

So basically, they accept you, then look at your other offers then put together a merit package? I don't know if you know all this info, but i am curious nonetheless.

I don't know for sure. As I understand it, this varies by school. It seems like Vandy issues a good amount of merit scholarships with the acceptance - which is before they can see where else you hold offers. There may be exceptions but I have no idea.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call last night from a current student asking if I had any questions about Vandy post-acceptance; I thought this was a nice gesture! They said that details about second look are going to be emailed out very soon.

Edit: to clarify, I was accepted in December.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Got a call last night from a current student asking if I had any questions about Vandy post-acceptance; I thought this was a nice gesture! They said that details about second look are going to be emailed out very soon.
Has your portal been updated/ Have you received an official letter of acceptance?

Has your portal been updated/ Have you received an official letter of acceptance?

My portal updated this morning and allowed me to accept my seat. I also received a call from my student host. No official email from Vanderbilt yet.

Waitlisted as well. I can't begin to tell you how awkward my traditional interview was. Do they reject outright or is everyone on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm just keeping the faith, y'all.

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted as well. I can't begin to tell you how awkward my traditional interview was. Do they reject outright or is everyone on the waitlist?

Also wondering this, because also waitlisted and also had a very awkward/uncomfortable traditional interview. Can't say I'm surprised about this decision at all.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!

Also wondering this, because also waitlisted and also had a very awkward/uncomfortable traditional interview. Can't say I'm surprised about this decision at all.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!
haha WL as well. Loved this school, but unfortunately not the best interview.

haha WL as well. Loved this school, but unfortunately not the best interview.
My interview was... phenomenal. It was the best I had at any of my schools where I interviewed.
But we soldier on.

Reactions: 1 user
My interview was... phenomenal. It was the best I had at any of my schools where I interviewed.
But we soldier on.

It's so hard to judge and predict these things.

I felt super awkward at my Vandy interview and got good news. Two of my three favorite, most thoughtful interviews of the season? WL.

Here's to awkwardly finding a lease at my top acceptance while holding onto Vanderbilt hope for a couple months lol

Reactions: 2 users
Here's to awkwardly finding a lease at my top acceptance while holding onto Vanderbilt hope for a couple months lol
Holla at that

How many get waitlisted? Does anyone get turned down after an interview?

@WinterSoldier93 or anyone else in the know -- can you shed any light on the waitlist process (# generally pulled, how they pull, when, etc.)

Okay; mine was finally updated this morning as well. Congrats everyone!

Did anyone get a flat out rejection?

No official emails yet, huh? Did I dream it?

Edit: got one in the snail mail

Last edited:
No official emails yet, huh? Did I dream it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I got a phone call because I had been hounding them for a while and was on a deadline to make my decision based on my research funding. Still no email but just the phone call and a portal update, finally!

I have had a couple nightmares that it wasn't for real since I have yet to see an official letter.

Did anyone else get a snail mail letter?
Curious if those who received financial offers had details on the scholarship in the letter.

Did anyone else get a snail mail letter?
Curious if those who received financial offers had details on the scholarship in the letter.

Yes, received letter w/ scholarship info, though not in much detail (does anyone know if the 75% scales year to year as tuition increases?).

For those who got in and are pretty sure about going to vandy.... anyone started looking for apartments yet? How soon do people usually get their apartments?

For those who got in and are pretty sure about going to vandy.... anyone started looking for apartments yet? How soon do people usually get their apartments?

yeah i was wondering the same thing. I was gonna maybe browse during second look weekend but also don't know how people usually go about finding roommates.

yeah i was wondering the same thing. I was gonna maybe browse during second look weekend but also don't know how people usually go about finding roommates.
I think the paddle is a very good resource while scoping out apartments. I guess you one would use list of members on fb groups and f2f meeting during second look to figure out who you could tolerate for a roommate!

Is anyone planning on not attending Second Look? If not, why not?

Do any other schools have a P/F clinical year? Why do they do this? Didn't UCLA just switch back to a H/HP/P/F clinical curriculum due to student complaints?

Withdrew my acceptance - hope the WL moves swiftly for y'all waiting!

Do any other schools have a P/F clinical year? Why do they do this? Didn't UCLA just switch back to a H/HP/P/F clinical curriculum due to student complaints?
A shortened preclinical curriculum is brutal.

I think most people are probably grateful for it. Vandy focuses on student wellness and this is a piece of that, eliminating reasons for competition to encourage collaboration and a focus on learning.

The students have a plethora of opportunities to distinguish themselves elsewhere, and there are a lot of ways that you're evaluated that'll be reflected in your portfolio.

A shortened preclinical curriculum is brutal.

I think most people are probably grateful for it. Vandy focuses on student wellness and this is a piece of that, eliminating reasons for competition to encourage collaboration and a focus on learning.

The students have a plethora of opportunities to distinguish themselves elsewhere, and there are a lot of ways that you're evaluated that'll be reflected in your portfolio.

Thanks for the response! Maybe I wasn't paying attention on interview day -- is the portfolio info released to PDs?

Thanks for the response! Maybe I wasn't paying attention on interview day -- is the portfolio info released to PDs?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by PDs? That's a new abbreviation for me!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by PDs? That's a new abbreviation for me!

Program directors (at residencies). Honestly, I'm just splitting hairs. It is definitely not a big deal and like you said, probably only reduces stress.

Program directors (at residencies). Honestly, I'm just splitting hairs. It is definitely not a big deal and like you said, probably only reduces stress.

So I have a friend who is an M1 which is why I've heard about a bunch of this.

My understanding from him is that when it comes time to apply for the Match, comments from your evaluations will go into your letters of rec. Not all of them, of course, just the useful ones chosen by your letter writer. Otherwise I'm pretty sure they just see that you passed your preclin.

Hey Guys! Congrats to those of you who have gotten in. I work as a research engineer here in the medical center and will be attending Yale in the fall. I'll move in july but my lease ends in late august, so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in taking over my lease and also buying furniture from me. I have a large, modern 1br apartment in bellevue (20 mins drive to campus, quiet and peaceful neighborhood with lots of convenience around) and pay $971 in rent. Feel free to message me for more info.

*Crickets* *Crickets* Someone bring up something to talk about. I need to continue to obsess about our decisions haha

Well, for the sake of something to talk about, here's the 2016 match list.

8 neurosurgery (with one each to UCSF and Barrow... whoa) is interesting. And there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of regional bias -- plenty of folks matching in the northeast and on the west coast.

I randomly tuned into the live stream and saw plenty of people light up with wide smiles when they matched into programs most people would glance over, so it's hard to ever really read anything from these things. Too many other variables.

Well, for the sake of something to talk about, here's the 2016 match list.

8 neurosurgery (with one each to UCSF and Barrow... whoa) is interesting. And there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of regional bias -- plenty of folks matching in the northeast and on the west coast.

I randomly tuned into the live stream and saw plenty of people light up with wide smiles when they matched into programs most people would glance over, so it's hard to ever really read anything from these things. Too many other variables.
Yeah they have an odd match this year. A lot seem to be doing ENT, Only three matched into general surgery as well as 3 into ortho. Most I've seen match into Pathology from one school too.