2015 Doximity Overall Residency Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted564680

Hey all,

I was bored this time of year, and I know there are a lot of opinions on the legitimacy of the Doximity residency rankings. However, we don't really have much else to go on and LOTS of programs/attendings are taking these rankings very seriously now (as opposed to the first year). Likely, these will be more "legitimate" as years go on.
Anyway, it was weird to me that Doximity doesn't list the rankings of all the programs in an overall fashion, so I did it myself. Using an excel file, I marked down the ranking for each institution in 15 of the specialities (I left out FM due to wide variance, hospitals with multiple affiliations, etc.). Since some programs don't offer all residencies, it was unfair to do an average ranking, so I came up with a points system (o for no program, .5 for rank >100, 1 for rank 51-100, 2 for 26-50, 3 for 11-25, 4 for 6-10, 5 for 2-5, 6 for no.1).
These are the rankings I obtained and I'm open to criticism, input, and modifications. Not a lot of surprises here but interesting that when compared to US News and World Report of top hospitals, Michigan residencies outperform their hospital (not even listed in top 15) and Cleveland Clinics residencies underperform their hospital (listed at no. 5 hospital but 17 on this list).

Overall:
1. MGH (95)
2. UCSF (87)
3. Johns Hopkins (85)
4. BWH (84)
5. WashU (74)
6. U Michigan (73)
7. Stanford (72)
8. UPMC (71)
9. Penn (69)
10. Mayo - MN (66)
11. U Washington (65)
12. Columbia - NY (63.5)
13. Duke (63)
14. UTSW (62)
14. Northwestern (62)
16. UCLA (61)
17. Cleveland Clinic (57)
17. NYU (57)
19. Emory (55)
20. Cornell - NY (51.5)
21. Baylor (51)
22. Vanderbilt (49)
23. BIDMC (47)
23. UNC (47)
25. U Iowa (46)
26. USC (45)
27. Cincinnati (44)
28. U Colorado (43.5)
29. Icahn - Mt. Sinai (43)
29. UCSD (43)
29. Miami - Jackson (43)
29. U Utah (43)
33. Ohio State (42)
34. Yale (40)
34. U Chicago (40)
36. Indiana U (39)
37. UVA (39)
38. UAB (38.5)
39. U Wisconsin (37.5)
40. UF - Gainesville (36.5)

Regions:
NE
MGH
Hopkins
BWH
UPMC
Penn

MW
WashU
Michigan
Mayo
NW
Cleveland Clinic

S
Duke
UTSW
Emory
Baylor
Vanderbilt

W
UCSF
Stanford
Washington
UCLA
USC

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Very interesting, however the rankings tend to indicate nothing more than prestige

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it..who cares about this? What we care about is how good the residency is for our particular specialty..?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all,

I was bored this time of year, and I know there are a lot of opinions on the legitimacy of the Doximity residency rankings. However, we don't really have much else to go on and LOTS of programs/attendings are taking these rankings very seriously now (as opposed to the first year). Likely, these will be more "legitimate" as years go on.
Anyway, it was weird to me that Doximity doesn't list the rankings of all the programs in an overall fashion, so I did it myself. Using an excel file, I marked down the ranking for each institution in 15 of the specialities (I left out FM due to wide variance, hospitals with multiple affiliations, etc.). Since some programs don't offer all residencies, it was unfair to do an average ranking, so I came up with a points system (o for no program, .5 for rank >100, 1 for rank 51-100, 2 for 26-50, 3 for 11-25, 4 for 6-10, 5 for 2-5, 6 for no.1).
These are the rankings I obtained and I'm open to criticism, input, and modifications. Not a lot of surprises here but interesting that when compared to US News and World Report of top hospitals, Michigan residencies outperform their hospital (not even listed in top 15) and Cleveland Clinics residencies underperform their hospital (listed at no. 5 hospital but 17 on this list).

Overall:
1. MGH (95)
2. UCSF (87)
3. Johns Hopkins (85)
4. BWH (84)
5. WashU (74)
6. U Michigan (73)
7. Stanford (72)
8. UPMC (71)
9. Penn (69)
10. Mayo - MN (66)
11. U Washington (65)
12. Columbia - NY (63.5)
13. Duke (63)
14. UTSW (62)
14. Northwestern (62)
16. UCLA (61)
17. NYU (57)
19. Emory (55)
20. Cornell - NY (51.5)
21. Baylor (51)
22. Vanderbilt (49)
23. BIDMC (47)
23. UNC (47)
25. U Iowa (46)
26. USC (45)
27. Cincinnati (44)
28. U Colorado (43.5)
29. UCSD (43)
29. Miami - Jackson (43)
29. U Utah (43)
33. Ohio State (42)
34. Yale (40)
34. U Chicago (40)
36. Indiana U (39)
37. UVA (39)
38. UAB (38.5)
39. U Wisconsin (37.5)

Regions:
NE
MGH
Hopkins
BWH
UPMC
Penn

MW
WashU
Michigan
Mayo
NW
Cleveland Clinic

S
Duke
UTSW
Emory
Baylor
Vanderbilt

W
UCSF
Stanford
Washington
UCLA
USC

I read this twice and still have no ****ing clue what it means/why it matters to anyone anywhere.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't get it..who cares about this? What we care about is how good the residency is for our particular specialty..?

No one really.

The only potential use would be that if a hospital has more prestigious residencies overall theoretically it could elevate the prestige of all the residencies.

However, for EM at least this is not the case since only 1 program in the top 10 hospitals list is considered a "top EM program" (Pitt).

Only on SDN....it's just fun data to look at.

Not sure why it warrants any attack. Just look at it and move on if you don't like it.

I thought it was interesting to see the overall environment of a program. Most specialties work with each other in one sense or another and it's nice to know what kind of doctors/residents you're surrounded by. It's definitely true that it matters more for your said specialty but geez, lighten up.

Premeds are going to look at this and latch on like a manta
No one takes doximity seriously

Premeds are going to look at this and latch on like a manta
No one takes doximity seriously

Actually, people do (wrongly in my opinion). There are emails going out to attendings on staff at multiple university medical centers telling them to vote on Doximity.

Hey all,

Overall:
1. MGH (95)
2. UCSF (87)
3. Johns Hopkins (85)
4. BWH (84)
5. WashU (74)
6. U Michigan (73)
7. Stanford (72)
8. UPMC (71)
9. Penn (69)
10. Mayo - MN (66)
11. U Washington (65)
12. Columbia - NY (63.5)
13. Duke (63)
14. UTSW (62)
14. Northwestern (62)
16. UCLA (61)
17. NYU (57)
19. Emory (55)
20. Cornell - NY (51.5)
21. Baylor (51)
22. Vanderbilt (49)
23. BIDMC (47)
23. UNC (47)
25. U Iowa (46)
26. USC (45)
27. Cincinnati (44)
28. U Colorado (43.5)
29. UCSD (43)
29. Miami - Jackson (43)
29. U Utah (43)
33. Ohio State (42)
34. Yale (40)
34. U Chicago (40)
36. Indiana U (39)
37. UVA (39)
38. UAB (38.5)
39. U Wisconsin (37.5)

Regions:
NE
MGH
Hopkins
BWH
UPMC
Penn

MW
WashU
Michigan
Mayo
NW
Cleveland Clinic

S
Duke
UTSW
Emory
Baylor
Vanderbilt

W
UCSF
Stanford
Washington
UCLA
USC

I actually really appreciated this. Not because I'll be making any major decisions based off of it, but mostly just because it's interesting information. Thanks for taking the time to compile this!

Reactions: 1 user
I actually really appreciated this. Not because I'll be making any major decisions based off of it, but mostly just because it's interesting information. Thanks for taking the time to compile this!

This is what I'm talking about

A metaanalysis of crap will just give you crap

Reactions: 4 users
Some people will take their obsession with prestige all the way to the grave with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Residencies are program specific and there's a lot of variation even with a hospital system. Some of the hospitals that might be among the best for residency in specialty X may be well below average in specialty Y. Pretty much every place is weaker (if not outright bad or malignant) in something. As a result all this is is misleading -- the place that's "high ranked" on your consolidated list may actually be nobody's first choice in a certain specialty or two. Too much depends on the specific attendings working in each program, unique resident opportunities, and in the culture (benign vs malignant) for anyone to try and lump things across specialties like this. It would be the equivalent of lumping a Burger King in with the finest Manhattan eateries and saying they "as a group" were NYs midtown cuisine and rank them highly. Sorry but you can only do so much to dress up a Burger King. Within each specialty they'll know which programs aren't all that -- hospital pedigree matters more to the uninitiated, so basically to nobody who will actually matter in your career. If you go to a Burger King everyone in your field will know and nobody will be fooled by you lumping it in with the fancier cuisine in the same neighborhood.

Last edited:
Residencies are program specific and there's a lot of variation even with a hospital system. Some of the hospitals that might be among the best for residency in specialty X may be well below average in specialty Y. Pretty much every place is weaker (if not outright bad or malignant) in something. As a result all this is is misleading -- the place that's "high ranked" on your consolidated list may actually be nobody's first choice in a certain specialty or two. Too much depends on the specific attendings working in each program, unique resident opportunities, and in the culture (benign vs malignant) for anyone to try and lump things across specialties like this. It would be the equivalent of lumping a Burger King in with the finest Manhattan eateries and saying they "as a group" were NYs midtown cuisine and rank them highly. Sorry but you can only do so much to dress up a Burger King. Within each specialty they'll know which programs aren't all that -- hospital pedigree matters more to the uninitiated, so basically to nobody who will actually matter in your career. If you go to a Burger King everyone in your field will know and nobody will be fooled by you lumping it in with the fancier cuisine in the same neighborhood.

Why go to burger king when you have in and out or shake shack? Even wendys is preferable

Why exactly is Doximity not reputable? Also, do you guys think it ever will be? (Not saying I trust it currently, I just like the idea of having a solid source to look up program's strengths and stuff)

Why exactly is Doximity not reputable? Also, do you guys think it ever will be? (Not saying I trust it currently, I just like the idea of having a solid source to look up program's strengths and stuff)

When doing these surveys, how do you rank which program is best in the field? People usually train only at one program and may see another program via medical school. How can they quantify where their program ranks compared to others since they have non real way to compare them. Thus it usually just ends up being a popularity contest and thus isn't really useful for much of anything.

^ Yep that would basically ruin any objective comparisons

It is based on surveys. Would you publish that? There is so much bias just from whoever decided to send it in. It is completely subjective and useless. What program strengths do you glean from the website? You can't tell without actually being in the program

Solid work. Yeah as you climb higher and higher its all about who you know. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise

Agreed, but prestige gets you jobs.

Mehhh...I don't know very many unemployed doctors. Being a good doctor and normal human, taking good care of patients, and looking for a job gets you a job....

Having just finished the job search process, I feel relatively qualified to say this.