2016-17 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I meant going both ways - from applicant to PD or PD to applicant. I haven't gotten any unsolicited correspondence either but I have heard of people (residents at my program last year) receiving phone calls from the PD around this time in the cycle saying we really would love to have you here. I hate having to play this game. So ready to be done..

Anyone else nervous about not matching? Ranking 10 but you never know. Wonder if the number of applicants is the same this year around
Just curious if u don't mind saying what programs called ur classmates last year?
 
in an effort to not throw anyone under the bus ill just say that it was 2 of the california programs. both of whom go through the nrmp match
 
Have considered sending thank yous, but now it's been so long since I interviewed, I don't know if would even be worth it. I have considered reaching out to at least my top 3 programs to let them know I intend on highly ranking, but again...worth it? I think at this point I am just apathetic about the whole process. It's been a 5 month marathon of time and cash and it has just exhausted me and my family. So ready to be over with it and know where we are going next year! Ranking 12 and still stressing about matching...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have considered sending thank yous, but now it's been so long since I interviewed, I don't know if would even be worth it. I have considered reaching out to at least my top 3 programs to let them know I intend on highly ranking, but again...worth it? I think at this point I am just apathetic about the whole process. It's been a 5 month marathon of time and cash and it has just exhausted me and my family. So ready to be over with it and know where we are going next year! Ranking 12 and still stressing about matching...
Yeah ranking 7 myself. I am non antesthesia non pmr guy so very nervous
 
I still have 2 interviews. Feeling the same way as you guys and in no mood to play games with contacting PDs.

I think the number of applicants is up this year but I really don't think any of us with 10+ interviews should be worried about matching unless you somehow botched all of them... Seems like ~6-7 interviews is pretty safe if you have a receptive home program.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Certified ROL a few hours before deadline... tough decisions. Ranked 14 programs. Received no correspondance from 13 of them and an explicit "ranked to match because you are within our top x ranks for x positions". This was unsolicited. For the sake of privacy, I will not reveal which program this is or where it stands on my ROL. But I thought I'd share to make the point that such "ranked to match" communications exist, but are uncommon and have to be downright spelled out to mean you are guaranteed a spot if you rank them #1. Otherwise, it could very well mean simply that you are ranked within their usual number needed to fill their spots. The latter could be the bearer of broken dreams.

So it's a highly specific event (yes, it brought a soothing sense of security after the last seven months) but not sensitive at all. Or else, I'd have to interpret that the other 13 think I suck based on their silence. Cognitive distortion is tempting, isn't it?

My understanding is, no rules were broken, as professions of love from both parties are legal as long as no questions are asked about who else you've been seeing.

I chose not to give an answer to said correspondance before deadline. In fact I contacted no one post-interview.

I also applied very broadly to start with and received many more rejections than interview invitations, being a candidate that doesn't quite fit neatly in the box. In fact, this is my second year in the match. Last year I only interviewed at one place after 15 late-ish applications.

So it seems that I just may be ok. Message to future applicants: go all out. Step out of your comfort zone. Be a little bold. Learn to live with uncertainty for a while.
Learn to handle rejection.

It'll make you savor it all the more when you are told you matched.

Good night, and good luck.
 
Certified ROL a few hours before deadline... tough decisions. Ranked 14 programs. Received no correspondance from 13 of them and an explicit "ranked to match because you are within our top x ranks for x positions". This was unsolicited. For the sake of privacy, I will not reveal which program this is or where it stands on my ROL. But I thought I'd share to make the point that such "ranked to match" communications exist, but are uncommon and have to be downright spelled out to mean you are guaranteed a spot if you rank them #1. Otherwise, it could very well mean simply that you are ranked within their usual number needed to fill their spots. The latter could be the bearer of broken dreams.

So it's a highly specific event (yes, it brought a soothing sense of security after the last seven months) but not sensitive at all. Or else, I'd have to interpret that the other 13 think I suck based on their silence. Cognitive distortion is tempting, isn't it?

My understanding is, no rules were broken, as professions of love from both parties are legal as long as no questions are asked about who else you've been seeing.

I chose not to give an answer to said correspondance before deadline. In fact I contacted no one post-interview.

I also applied very broadly to start with and received many more rejections than interview invitations, being a candidate that doesn't quite fit neatly in the box. In fact, this is my second year in the match. Last year I only interviewed at one place after 15 late-ish applications.

So it seems that I just may be ok. Message to future applicants: go all out. Step out of your comfort zone. Be a little bold. Learn to live with uncertainty for a while.
Learn to handle rejection.

It'll make you savor it all the more when you are told you matched.

Good night, and good luck.

Wanna tell us the region of the program at least? Or if u don't mind if u could Pm me it in curious
 
Curious... Does anyone know how we will actually find out the match results? Email from NRMP/program or do we just sign in on our own at noon eastern time and find out there? Just wondering where I should start checking first.
 
55044223.jpg
 
But how did one program manage to get all 5 of their positions unfilled???
 
Mount Sinai Beth Israel. And one unfilled at UCSD, the other at Jefferson. It's in the Report section on the NRMP website.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Went on 9 interviews; didn't match.

My stats for future applicants to compare:
US-FMG currently in Anesthesiology Residency
Step 1: 249
Step 2: 245
ITE CA1: 34
ITE CA2: 38
Basic exam: letter from ABA scored in top 10%
multiple research projects/presentations

That seems crazy that you did not match. I know of a number of residents with significantly lower stats than yours and 1/2 the IVs that matched. Did your rank list go through? Did you have any sort of issue during your interviews?
 
This is fellowship, getting closer to the real world where colleagues and patients don't much focus on how high your scores were. High academic performance doesn't hurt, but at this point in our careers there are many other elements at play, your personality, your vision for the field, how well you play with others in the sandbox, and being at the right place at the right time. I've been in practice for over a decade, so I have a little perspective on this. Don't give up. Get out there. Be a little bold and introduce yourself to the right people in conferences. You've had all this practice with interviews. Use it to your advantage next year. Worked for me the second time around.
 
That seems crazy that you did not match. I know of a number of residents with significantly lower stats than yours and 1/2 the IVs that matched. Did your rank list go through? Did you have any sort of issue during your interviews?

100% sure my list went through and was shocked since one program whom I will not mention even told my PD Im ranked to match. No issues during interviews in fact I thought I did the best I possibly could and most programs said they will rank me highly during the interview. Im guessing most of the programs I interviewed at must have filled most spots internally.
 
This is fellowship, getting closer to the real world where colleagues and patients don't much focus on how high your scores were. High academic performance doesn't hurt, but at this point in our careers there are many other elements at play, your personality, your vision for the field, how well you play with others in the sandbox, and being at the right place at the right time. I've been in practice for over a decade, so I have a little perspective on this. Don't give up. Get out there. Be a little bold and introduce yourself to the right people in conferences. You've had all this practice with interviews. Use it to your advantage next year. Worked for me the second time around.

I think you are absolutely right with the statement that it's a lot about connections, personality, vs. academic merit. And I would agree with you that scores, etc. don't seem to make a ton of difference these days for things like fellowships.
 
True. But much of that is not random either. IMO it takes very solid people skills to practice pain medicine. Needles and pills will only take you so far. The field is evolving.
 
Regarding UCSD, I believe they have a spot reserved for a 2 year research/clinical position that is taken already. Likely why it appears as though they didn't fill. Cheers!
 
Has any1 had any post match contact from ur program? I haven't heard anything not that it matters just curious what others experienced so far?

The place I matched at I interviewed at so long ago I don't remember much about the program lol. Happy as heck nonetheless to have matched.
 
Has any1 had any post match contact from ur program? I haven't heard anything not that it matters just curious what others experienced so far?

The place I matched at I interviewed at so long ago I don't remember much about the program lol. Happy as heck nonetheless to have matched.
Nope, haven't heard a peep. Maybe they didn't get the memo [emoji6]
 
Has any1 had any post match contact from ur program? I haven't heard anything not that it matters just curious what others experienced so far?

The place I matched at I interviewed at so long ago I don't remember much about the program lol. Happy as heck nonetheless to have matched.


One of the attendings (not the PD) sent a short congrats/we'll be in touch email
 
Haven't heard from anyone but the residency coordinator congratulating me and saying they will be in touch with further paperwork...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
309 out of 399 :nailbiting: 90 unmatched applicants and only 2 unfilled positions

For perspective - for pediatric anesth there were like 13 total unmatched applicants (94% match rate) and well more than 13 unfilled positions


Where are the stats on NRMP?

I can't find it...