2016-2017 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
called and ask when will i get a estimate of my financial package and was told I wouldn't be given any idea of this until June. Which totally suck because money is such a huge factor in deciding between schools. I know alot of schools do this and wont officially release financial packages until after the April 30h deadline but they would atleast give a specific estimate of what to expect from them, the lack of that kinda upsetting any current student have any suggestions ?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed here last week, not really a fan of the online medical school aspect of it. Would like the ability to attend lectures if I wanted to. Other than that I thought the atmosphere of the school was awesome and would be a nice place to live. That being said my interviewer was extremely rude and definitely did not want to be there that day as he was late and did not read about my application beforehand and all of the questions you could tell were standardized. Other than that school isn't too bad
My interviewer wasn't rude but everything else that you said above applied to my experience as well

My interviewer wasn't rude but everything else that you said above applied to my experience as well

Is the 1-on-1 interview open file, and how long is it?

Also, what is the PM schedule, when do we eat? I need to know how much to eat in advance haha, I'm always hungry :p

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, what is the PM schedule, when do we eat? I need to know how much to eat in advance haha, I'm always hungry :p

My faculty interview was open-file. I don't remember how long it was but it did not seem overly long. I got to leave earlier than the 4:30 PM end time.

I remember we had a presentation first, followed by lunch (probably at 1ish) with current students, followed by a tour, interview, and other things.

Reactions: 1 user

My faculty interview was open-file. I don't remember how long it was but it did not seem overly long. I got to leave earlier than the 4:30 PM end time.
I remember we had a presentation first, followed by lunch (probably at 1ish) with current students, followed by a tour, interview, and other things.

The above is what my day was like as well for the schedule, I was in the AM group so things were a bit switched around time wise for me though. for my 1 on 1 , we were told it was going to be open file in the presentation however my interviewer had definitely not reviewed my app at all. A fact she even admitted haha

Anyone know how receptive Drexel is to post-interview, pre decision letters of intent?

Complete in November. Any chance at an II still?

Reactions: 2 users
Do they provide need based or any scholarship or grant money and when does that come out for accepted students ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Week 11 after I-day
Drank the last drop of water today, and it's been 5 days since I licked off the Doritos dust from its plastic bag. My left leg is looking really tasty at this point. Turned on the radio, no news yet from the drexians. But word on the street is that they might drop the goods this Friday, I have to hang on till then. Maybe if I look under the couch I could find some pizza slices from the stone age...

so close yet so far away.

Reactions: 8 users
What are the chances of getting an II after being put on a pre-II hold this late in the cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone have interviews in the last two weeks of December or the first two weeks of January? Just trying to gauge when I can expect to hear back from mine in mid January! :)

Did anyone have interviews in the last two weeks of December or the first two weeks of January? Just trying to gauge when I can expect to hear back from mine in mid January! :)
I interviewed mid to late Jan too so I would love to know the answer as well.

Pre II "hold for review later in the cycle" just now…

complete 7/19 and still in perpetual silence. no hold/II/rejection yet

+1 completed 8/15. I think the rejection/hold is inevitable at this point haha

withdrew my place on the WL, hope it goes to one of you

Can anyone else comment on how they feel about the new curriculum?

I am interviewing soon, and it seems like it will be a definite pro for some and con for others. Personally, I study at strange hours (most productive from 10 PM-3 AM haha), so maybe this would be a good fit for me.

Also, how does the case-based, team-oriented emphasis play out? Are there group meetings weekly, and are faculty/instructors present?

Can anyone else comment on how they feel about the new curriculum?

I am interviewing soon, and it seems like it will be a definite pro for some and con for others. Personally, I study at strange hours (most productive from 10 PM-3 AM haha), so maybe this would be a good fit for me.

Also, how does the case-based, team-oriented emphasis play out? Are there group meetings weekly, and are faculty/instructors present?
personally same as you. I think its a plus for people who are dedicated self-learners. Also if you are trying to go after competitive specialities it definitely helps to have more free time during the day for research/community service

also yeah faculty leads the case based sessions where u are split into groups of 5-10 other students

personally same as you. I think its a plus for people who are dedicated self-learners. Also if you are trying to go after competitive specialities it definitely helps to have more free time during the day for research/community service

also yeah faculty leads the case based sessions where u are split into groups of 5-10 other students

Thanks! Do you know how often the case-based sessions are?

Also, the "Hogwarts" set-up of splitting the class into groups - do these groups meet regularly as well? But I am assuming this is more of a thing for fun to facilitate meeting more classmates?

Also, the "Hogwarts" set-up of splitting the class into groups - do these groups meet regularly as well? But I am assuming this is more of a thing for fun to facilitate meeting more classmates?
There should be a schedule of a sample week somewhere on the website. Maybe that will answer your question.

As to the "Hogwarts" style of splitting the classes into groups: this happens at every single medical school where I have attended an interview. My understanding is that they are more for mentoring (most places will give you some kind of a "big" reminiscent of sorority-type mentoring) and at some places during year 1 you have scheduled meetings with the advisor for that "house" (ex. once a semester). But mostly they are for helping you meet students, pairing you with a mentor, and friendly competition.

At my interview, a student tour guide made it seem like the Hogwarts houses are really more for fun than anything else, and trying to make the class not feel so big

Withdrawing my acceptance. Hopefully one of you awesome people get it!

Reactions: 5 users
Just withdrew my interview because I realized I was never going to pick Drexel over my other acceptances. Hopefully one of you guys will get it! Good luck!

Huh... just got an II. TBH I thought I was already rejected from here.
Dates available: 2/27, then MTuTh week of march 6th, 20th, and 27th and then MTu April 3, 10.

Very unlikely that I'll attend the interview, so hopefully it goes to one of you fine folk

Reactions: 6 users
just got one as well! Complete 9/08. Never on spring hold.

Did you guys send any updates or letters of interest? I still haven't been rejected, put on hold, or invited for interview and complete all the way back in the summer

Still silence for me :(. Complete mid August.

Randomly got an II today....I never expected that to pan out.

Pre-II hold today. LizzyM ~70, IS, complete late September. Hard to not read this is as a rejection this late in the cycle.

I, a California applicant, literally walked past the Drexel campus yesterday and was like, bro why have I not heard from you? ITS SUCH A PITY CAUSE I AM ACTUALLY IN PHILLY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE

Reactions: 5 users
I will just answer this one question quickly. Societies do not have any type of regular meetings. However, all your small groups for everything will be with people for your society. There was a luncheon for one of the societies with faculty recently. All the faculty is also divided into each society. Meetings occur more with all the different types of interest groups and other events like seminars and whatnot. We had a seminar on exome sequencing in cadavers a few days ago. Stuff like that happens frequently, so that all depends on your personal interests.