2016-2017 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also in the same boat, but someone on this thread got accepted this week and interviewed in September. I think they just have a different way of going about it since they receive so many applications.
I was accepted on 1/26! Not sure if I will attend as I don't really want to do med school online essentially...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you say when you call? I would like to call to check in, but I feel like they will just tell me to be patient and wait.
I called and gave my AMCAS ID and asked if a decision had been made...sorry I'm replying so late but I Hope its still helpful! Good luck.

Complete July and have had absolute silence until this morning. Got an email saying "While we have decided not to invite you for an interview at this time, we would like to re-evaluate your application again in the spring should spots remain." which I assume is the hold email everyone is talking about...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete July and have had absolute silence until this morning. Got an email saying "While we have decided not to invite you for an interview at this time, we would like to re-evaluate your application again in the spring should spots remain." which I assume is the hold email everyone is talking about...

Same here

Lol, silence since August. Just waiting for the rejection or pre-II hold atm

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is it possible to do it via the portal? I know some schools offer it that way

December 1st..... 10 week wait

Ugh! I'm so sorry. Still waiting to hear back as well. Although, I called the Admissions office last week and the woman told me that I should've heard by Tuesday, so it's a bunch of BS. Did anything change for you AMP wise?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an II a little while ago. I've been complete everywhere since early July, so I had assumed that I was done getting interviews by now. For people who are still waiting, don't forget that it's not over 'til it's over!

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted but will be withdrawing app. Interviewed in early December. Best of luck to those waiting for IIs/decisions!

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like I'll be arriving pretty early for my interview day. Is there a coffee shop closeby that I could sit at? I looked on google maps and the area looks very suburban...

Its very residential, so I couldn't find any coffee shops in walking distance, but there's a little café for the students in the building where you interview so you could go sit in there! From the main entrance, you turn left down the hallway with the lecture halls and its at the end of the hall. Or if you sit in the conference room where they send you to wait for your interview, there's water and a Keurig set up for interviewees

Is Drexel the kind of school where you'd need a car?

Also interested in the answer to this question. I know there is a shuttle that goes from campus every 30 mins to center city campus/Hannehman. So I think it is doable without a car at least for your first year??

II just now, totally unexpected!

I got an II a little while ago. I've been complete everywhere since early July, so I had assumed that I was done getting interviews by now. For people who are still waiting, don't forget that it's not over 'til it's over!

Congrats you two! Mind sharing stats and if you sent any interest letters/updates?

Also interested in the answer to this question. I know there is a shuttle that goes from campus every 30 mins to center city campus/Hannehman. So I think it is doable without a car at least for your first year??

Useful, not required. Carpooling easily becomes your best friend and the shuttle gets you to Hanhemann if you need to be there.

I also received an out of the blue II today!

Reactions: 2 users
Received an II today! :)

Can anyone elaborate about the curriculum... iPad, no live lectures?

Received an II today! :)

Can anyone elaborate about the curriculum... iPad, no live lectures?
Recently received an email from Drexel with more info about the new curriculum. here are some highlights of the new curriculum. I think it sounds dope. I love the idea of being able to learn on my own schedule.

1. How does this new curriculum help me?

Time limitations are a common issue for busy medical students. We address this by creating a new format that gives students much more flexibility to manage their day and have time for other activities. Doing what you need to do, when it works best for you is at the heart of these innovations. For example, the Independent Learning modules are available and can be viewed when it’s most convenient for each student, 8am or 12 midnight depending on your best learning time. By opening up your daytime hours, students will be available to shadow physicians and clinical practices which helps them explore career interests. Students can also more easily participate in community service or work on a Scholar project .These changes also support the balance and wellness important to a future physician – being able to work out and enjoy other physical activities or life skills as they balance incorporating new knowledge through their studies.

2. Why are there no “live” lectures? How will I interact with faculty members?

The new curriculum will provide what you need, when you need it as often as you need it. We have been recording and streaming all of our lectures for the past 15 years. Most of our students prefer to watch them at home on 1.5x speed and stop and start the lectures at will in order to maximize their learning. This new format allows us to move away from the traditional 50 minute lecture and streamline the content. Most videos will be between 20 and 30 minutes – this enhances attentiveness, focus and retention of the material. Students will interact with faculty in small group sessions, laboratories, conferences and reviews. In addition, all course directors are available to meet with students individually or in small informal groups and also answer student queries electronically.

3. What is the format of exams?

There will be weekly self-assessment quizzes. Major exams will be integrated and predominately multiple choice format using USMLE board format style questions and given every 3-4 weeks. This allows students to learn how to address these types of questions well before they sit for the national exams. Laboratory based components will have practical exams and clinical skills will be assessed through standardized patients and other specialized formats. Each course will have a portion of the grade that comes from activities/assignments other than exams such as oral presentations, papers, projects.

4. Will I have time to study for STEP 1?

There is a dedicated 6 week study time for STEP1 preparation following the end of year 2 in mid-March. In addition, year 2 culminates with a comprehensive exam (year 2 material only) that traditionally has been a very good indicator of readiness for STEP 1. Each student will be given a tailored report that allows them to identify strengths and weaknesses as they are mentored in developing their study plan for Step 1. Beyond this, the school provides two NBME Basic Science Comprehensive exams for each student to take during the study period to gauge readiness for USMLE STEP 1. In addition, our Student Affairs office provides resources, advice and counseling regarding readiness to take the exam.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed here last week, not really a fan of the online medical school aspect of it. Would like the ability to attend lectures if I wanted to. Other than that I thought the atmosphere of the school was awesome and would be a nice place to live. That being said my interviewer was extremely rude and definitely did not want to be there that day as he was late and did not read about my application beforehand and all of the questions you could tell were standardized. Other than that school isn't too bad

Just now got the hold email... happy Valentine's Day to me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If anyone wants to know, I called admissions about second look weekend and they said its usually around the second weekend in April, but that they will email everyone when its confirmed.

"Thank you for applying to Drexel University College of Medicine. Your file has been reviewed by a member of our Admissions Committee. While we have decided not to invite you for an interview at this time, we would like to re-evaluate your application again in the spring should spots remain. We have many completed applications to review and wish to hold on a final decision on your application until later in the cycle. "

Completely forgot I applied here. o_O

"Thank you for applying to Drexel University College of Medicine. Your file has been reviewed by a member of our Admissions Committee. While we have decided not to invite you for an interview at this time, we would like to re-evaluate your application again in the spring should spots remain. We have many completed applications to review and wish to hold on a final decision on your application until later in the cycle. "

Completely forgot I applied here. o_O

Would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Does anyone know how late Drexel interviews? Been complete since mid August and nothing yet, not even a hold.

Does anyone know how late Drexel interviews? Been complete since mid August and nothing yet, not even a hold.

I'm in the same boat. Their website says they interview through march but I personally don't have a whole lot of hope, feel like my application got lost haha