2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@UNMedGa "Capital" refers to a letter, "Capitol" refers to the center of government of a nation, in your case the nation of Passive-Agression.
2424b13c835714d8492088ff64d2b7b6.jpg
I thought "Capitol" was only used for a specific building or structure

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought "Capitol" was only used for a specific building or structure

Yes, you are right. A capitol is only the building where a government meets. The center of government of a nation is its capital. E.g. Washington DC is the capital city of the United States. Congress conducts business in the Capitol Building.

> If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

In response to this secondary prompt, if I can't really think of anything beyond maybe listing a discrepancy in the name of an activity of my primary... is that enough?

I'm used to filling in every blank space I see with *something*, you know? And so I don't want to leave it blank if it's expected that I have something there.

Members don't see this ad :)
@UNMedGa "Capital" refers to a letter, "Capitol" refers to the center of government of a nation, in your case the nation of Passive-Agression.
2424b13c835714d8492088ff64d2b7b6.jpg

Yes, you are right. A capitol is only the building where a government meets. The center of government of a nation is its capital. E.g. Washington DC is the capital city of the United States. Congress conducts business in the Capitol Building.

lyJwvj.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know if Emory cares at all about in-the-area notifications? I'll be going to Atlanta in September for a conference

Do I meet the humanity 18 hour credit? I am 100% that I have 9 hours(economics, religion, theatre). Does taking two courses that classifications are GOVT count under political science. Also, I have 6 hours for US History I and US History II. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Does the supplementary application link not work for anybody else?

https://www.mdapply.med.emory.edu

It may be a server glitch or try a different browser, if you had access before. Emory screens prior to the secondary app using MCAT scores so if you haven't received one that may be why...not sure.

From FAQ:
"Does Emory Screen for minimum MCAT Scores?

For the 2016-17 Application Cycle, Emory will prescreen applicants for minimum MCAT scores.
For applicants submitting an MCAT taken prior to January 2015, Emory will prescreen all applicants for a minimum MCAT score of 27 with at least a 7 in each of the three subtests. Applicants with an MCAT total score of less than 27, or a subtest score of less than 7 on any of the three MCAT subtests will not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application.

For applicants submitting an MCAT taken January 2015 or later, Emory will prescreen all applicants for a minimum MCAT score of 500 with at least a 123 in each of the four subtests. Applicants with an MCAT total score of less than 500, or a subtest score of less than 123 on any of the four MCAT subtests will not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application."

@Divine Comedy congratulations!! You're on fire, I saw you got II from Columbia and Mayo too :claps:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And Hopkins!

Thank you. This cycle (hopefully my only one) has exceeded all my expectations! Can't believe I am having this great of a reception thus far! I thought my pathetic MCAT will doom my candidacy. I was even planning on applying for DO schools at the end of August. But I'm glad they are seeing other qualities I bring to the table.
what was your MCAT if you dont mind me asking? hoping i will get some love too as a fellow non trad and lizzy M of 70 hahha

Reactions: 1 users
II this afternoon! OOS, complete 7/14, low 70s LizzyM

Reactions: 3 users
I know Emory doesn't call for II's but I got TWO different calls from a random Georgia number today and I almost had a heart attack. Ugh telemarketers...

Reactions: 7 users
anyone else have a "last update entered" section now on their portal with a weird symbol for the response?

Reactions: 2 users
anybody asks why?

It's either 1. A sporadic system wide error or 2. A generic mark that they read our file- which sheds no light on the status of our application

I don't think it's worth asking admissions about it for either scenario-- just need to wait for an actual update

Anyone care to share their thoughts on my chances? 3.89 GPA, 514 MCAT. Lots of volunteering with CCU waiting room and rape crisis victims. Lots of shadowing. Decent amount of research. Would absolutely love to go here!

Does anyone not have the glitch on the status page?

Apparently some more interviews went out yesterday on 9/1

Anyone care to share their thoughts on my chances? 3.89 GPA, 514 MCAT. Lots of volunteering with CCU waiting room and rape crisis victims. Lots of shadowing. Decent amount of research. Would absolutely love to go here!

Stats look good and with those ECs, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Hey. I was wondering if its worth sending in the secondary to this school. I got it about 1.5 weeks ago. URM. MCAT 505. 3.79sGPA. pretty good ECs and shadowing. Georgia Resident.

$120 is a lot of money for a post-secondary rejection.

Should I have sent an update? I recently gave a presentation on my service club (Med-Serve) to an audience of 100 students (mostly underclassmen) and I began volunteering in the emergency department at the hospital.

They give you the option to do so, so go for it.

Solid GPA! But idk about the MCAT. 505 = 28-29 on the old scale. The 2015 range of accepted applicants (according to MSAR) was 31-39. I usually say "go for it" but it's up to you. Best of luck with applying :)

Edit: range of accepted applicants at Emory*
thanks. idk what I'm going to do. :(

Solid GPA! But idk about the MCAT. 505 = 28-29 on the old scale. The 2015 range of accepted applicants (according to MSAR) was 31-39. I usually say "go for it" but it's up to you. Best of luck with applying :)

Edit: range of accepted applicants at Emory*

That is 10th-90th percentile range. There are those below 10.

If it's a dream school PP, maybe you have the app to be one of those! If not and it will cause financial stress, then don't.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey. I was wondering if its worth sending in the secondary to this school. I got it about 1.5 weeks ago. URM. MCAT 505. 3.79sGPA. pretty good ECs and shadowing. Georgia Resident.

$120 is a lot of money for a post-secondary rejection.

Hey Fizzle, just wanted to give my two cents. I'm going to start by qualifying my advice--I'm applying this cycle like you, so I don't know an excessive amount about the admissions process or even Emory. However, I can discuss what others have told me.

It helps that you're URM, and you also have a high science GPA. You also mention shadowing and good ECs, which both help. However, your MCAT score is a little low. Like WhittyPsyche has said, there are people attending Emory with MCAT scores similar to yours. So if you want to apply, go for it.

That being said, it is starting to become rather late in the admissions cycle. I don't know if applying now would be worth the $120. If I was you, I would wait until next year. But again, it's your choice.

Good luck to you throughout the cycle, and I hope whatever you choose works out.

Hey Fizzle, just wanted to give my two cents. I'm going to start by qualifying my advice--I'm applying this cycle like you, so I don't know an excessive amount about the admissions process or even Emory. However, I can discuss what others have told me.

It helps that you're URM, and you also have a high science GPA. You also mention shadowing and good ECs, which both help. However, your MCAT score is a little low. Like WhittyPsyche has said, there are people attending Emory with MCAT scores similar to yours. So if you want to apply, go for it.

That being said, it is starting to become rather late in the admissions cycle. I don't know if applying now would be worth the $120. If I was you, I would wait until next year. But again, it's your choice.

Good luck to you throughout the cycle, and I hope whatever you choose works out.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile