2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I got an II from Hopkins even though my MCAT is below their 10th percentile. I'm also not a URM. If it is a school you're genuinely interested in, and you bring unique attributes or experiences to the table, you should apply. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. The process is about more than numbers. MCAT and GPA are only one piece of your overall application package. While there are number-driven schools (Vanderbilt, Pritzker, Feinberg, and WashU come to mind; even Case Western has become increasingly stats-driven), I can assure you that Emory is not one of them.

I wouldn't say Feinberg is stats driven either. I am below their 10th percentile for both GPA and MCAT. I think all schools with a high median GPA and MCAT must be stats driven in some fashion. It is just this misconception on SDN that people without stellar scores are doomed if they apply to top schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think @Divine Comedy brings a good point

Also I am applying this cycle as well, and I understand the bind that money can have sometimes on this process. I would say if Emory is an absolute dream school to go for it. Or even if it's in your top 5. Although you may not have the most competitive MCAT score, if you feel like you fit their mission, they'll give your app a read. Otherwise if you feel so-so about the school and are excited but not ABSOLUTELY thrilled if you were to get an acceptance then I would not apply and maybe apply elsewhere that is a little closer to your range (or not apply at all and depending on the rest of your school list)

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't say Feinberg is stats driven either. I am below their 10th percentile for both GPA and MCAT. I think all schools with a high median GPA and MCAT must be stats driven in some fashion. It is just this misconception on SDN that people without stellar scores are doomed if they apply to top schools.

Are you URM? That might explain quite a bit.

Incoming M1 here. Happy to answer any questions about applying/interview day. I don't know much else though!
I just got an interview invite and am incredibly excited, I have a few questions though.

When you were going through the process, what drew you to Emory and what aspects do you like/stand out now that you're there? If you have any advice you wish you'd had/known on your interview, I would love any insight or advice that you have. Thanks!

Hello!

I just submitted my AMCAS and am waiting for an MCAT score. I'm out of state applying for the MD/PhD and I wanted to see if the prompts for the secondary application were posted just in case I'm invited to submit one.

Good luck everyone!!

Hello!

I just submitted my AMCAS and am waiting for an MCAT score. I'm out of state applying for the MD/PhD and I wanted to see if the prompts for the secondary application were posted just in case I'm invited to submit one.

Good luck everyone!!
List your entire curriculum plan for the 2015-2016 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.
200 words

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.
200 words

Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.
200 words

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?
200 words

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.
200 words

List your entire curriculum plan for the 2015-2016 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.
200 words

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.
200 words

Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.
200 words

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?
200 words

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.
200 words

There are also MD-PhD specific questions in addition to the other questions:

The MD/PhD Admissions Committee requires information about all of your significant research experience (8 weeks or longer). Please list below, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, all of your significant research projects. Be sure to include start/end dates, the name of your PI, the name of the institution, and a detailed description of your role in the project. Please use the following template to list your experiences:
Dates (month/yyyy – month/yyyy):
Hours/week:
Supervisor (PI) Name and Title:
Organization Name:
City, State or Country:
Description:

(2000 words)

Please enter ALL publications in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the most recent publications first, using citation format. (This should include materials that you reported on your AMCAS application and any new publications since that time.)

(1000 words)

What do you consider to be the role of the Physician Scientist in healthcare?

(500 words)

"Emory will prescreen for a minimum MCAT score of 500 with at least a 123 in each of the four subtests. Applicants with an MCAT total score of less than 500, or a subtest score of less than 123 on any of the four MCAT subtests will not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application."

Their average GPA is 3.7, meaning a good portion of admitted students probably had GPAs around yours. The ECs will cushion being slightly below their avg. I say go for it!

I have an interview scheduled and a 509 MCAT! You have hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier today! LizzieM 69, complete some time in early or mid July.

Reactions: 3 users
II today as well! :love:Email arrived at 10:07 am CST.
The earliest interview dates I saw were Oct. 7th and Oct. 21st.

Complete 8/6; LizzyM: 72-73

Good luck, everyone!

Silly question... in the secondary it says only list course number so for a course BIOL 1301. Would I just put 1301? There are a lot of 1301's out there

Silly question... in the secondary it says only list course number so for a course BIOL 1301. Would I just put 1301? There are a lot of 1301's out there
I interpreted it to mean "BIOL 1301." I think they just don't want the course name (Introduction to Biology 1)

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

II!!!!!!!!

Complete 7/30

Reactions: 2 users
II! :biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove:

complete 7/27 i think
Congrats! I really hope I get an II from Emory. I wish I could have attended during undergrad but it was too far away from home and more expensive than my current school.

Reactions: 1 users
Lmao I check my email after seeing the IIs on this thread and nearly pass out when I see an email from a sender starting with "Em...." AND IT'S SOMEONE NAMED EMILY. Not now Emily please!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Lmao I check my email after seeing the IIs on this thread and nearly pass out when I see an email from a sender starting with "Em...." AND IT'S SOMEONE NAMED EMILY. Not now Emily please!!!!
That bitch Emily trippin.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! I really hope I get an II from Emory. I wish I could have attended during undergrad but it was too far away from home and more expensive than my current school.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, friend!

Couldn't help but throw my hat in the ring this late. TAKE MY MONEY AND LOVE ME PLZ EMORY

II at 5pm today! In state, complete 7/30, 3.65/523. Hang in there everyone :)

I feel like it's at best just slightly early at this point in the cycle. Many schools only have a little over half the interview spots left.
Fair enough .. still not a death sentence if no II yet

Lurker coming out from the shadows. Offered an interview for October 14! Very excited but curious about how Emory interviews go. Does anyone have any insight?

Lurker coming out from the shadows. Offered an interview for October 14! Very excited but curious about how Emory interviews go. Does anyone have any insight?

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing stats and complete date?

1. Be yourself!! It is a lot easier to be yourself than someone you are not
2. Know your CV ( application) as this is a good starting point for questions
3. Know some history of the school and be able to clearly explain what you can bring to the school
4. Current medical news
5. RELAX and take a few seconds before responding to collect your thoughts and not come across scripted.

I found this somewhere^^

Emory is super friendly and their interviews are very conversational. No tough stumper questions, be yourself, know your application, and know why you want to go to the school and why you want to be a physican. The admissions staff at Emory makes you feel incredibly welcome. You will do great!

Technically, no. AMCAS deadline for Emory is 10/15, and supplemental deadline is 12/1. But yes, it is too late to have a shot unless you are a stand-out.

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing stats and complete date?
I am a non-traditional applicant with lots of research experience.
sGPA: 3.81
cumulative GPA: 3.18 (not a typo from above, I was a poor student as a regular undergrad studying film/video)
MCAT: 512 (126/130/128/128)
Completed: 07/26/2016

Emory is super friendly and their interviews are very conversational. No tough stumper questions, be yourself, know your application, and know why you want to go to the school and why you want to be a physican. The admissions staff at Emory makes you feel incredibly welcome. You will do great!
Thanks for the encouragement!

1. Be yourself!! It is a lot easier to be yourself than someone you are not
2. Know your CV ( application) as this is a good starting point for questions
3. Know some history of the school and be able to clearly explain what you can bring to the school
4. Current medical news
5. RELAX and take a few seconds before responding to collect your thoughts and not come across scripted.

I found this somewhere^^
Thanks for the advice!

II just now for a date about 2 weeks from now!! Got a date that isn't great for my schedule but still super excited! I was complete in June so there's definitely still hope for those of you who applied early and still haven't heard back.