2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, everyone!

Ugh obviously this school is such a long shot, but I want to make sure I'm not hurting my chances right off the bat!

Does anyone know if it is a strict requirement that we have letters from all research supervisors? I worked in a lab for 1 semester and wasn't planning on getting a letter. I have a committee letter from my undergrad and I am super confused as to whether that actually overrides other requirements.

EDIT: Haha so I actually just decided to call their admissions department and ask instead of just posting on here! In case anyone has a similar worry, committee letters typically override other requirements, and the research supervisor letter requirement is not that strict. They want letters from all relevant research experiences, but for cases like mine where it was so short term, it won't be an issue.
Hey!
Assuming you worked at a lab for a semester,
I'm also an incoming MS1 (pathways) and I encourage everyone to apply here! If you have any questions throughout the year feel free to ask :) good luck to you all!
Hey
Assuming Pathways is more clinically oriented than HST, do you think research experience is necessary to get in? I have no research experoence, but strong stats and other ECs.... nonetheless I'm worried about my lack of research experience. Do you think that maybe a problen?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!
Assuming you worked at a lab for a semester,

Hey
Assuming Pathways is more clinically oriented than HST, do you think research experience is necessary to get in? I have no research experoence, but strong stats and other ECs.... nonetheless I'm worried about my lack of research experience. Do you think that maybe a problen?

Common knowledge thrown around SDN is that the top med schools are extremely research-oriented. Obviously, I can't tell you with certainty whether your lack of research experience will be a big problem. But I can tell you that most admitted students have strong research experiences. This goes for both Pathways and HST.

I'm a second year here. Most of my classmates do have some sort of research experience, but by no means is this limited to bench research -- it can be public health, health policy, health economics, etc. It's more the "thirst for discovering" that schools care about than you slaving away at a lab bench. There are a number of students who do not have any research experience, but they typically have other stand-out characteristics, like amazing volunteering/advocacy/policy/community engagement work. Just apply and see what happens!