2016-2017 Marshall University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!
You must be very Good! Looks like fast decision ?
Thank you. I don't think I'm that good haha. I think Cindy called all the ones that got accepted as soon as she could, perhaps in thanksgiving spirit.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the attendance policy and if they record lectures?

Does anyone know the attendance policy and if they record lectures?

Most lectures are recorded and attendance is sometimes required. For example, I have thirteen lectures this week--all will be recorded and one of them is required attendance. The required sessions are often guests/clinicians who are experts in their field, so they're usually pretty interesting. One afternoon per week, we have a clinical skills session for which attendance is mandatory.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most lectures are recorded and attendance is sometimes required. For example, I have thirteen lectures this week--all will be recorded and one of them is required attendance. The required sessions are often guests/clinicians who are experts in their field, so they're usually pretty interesting. One afternoon per week, we have a clinical skills session for which attendance is mandatory.
That sounds great! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I know they said they would start looking at OOS apps late November so I'm assuming they're reviewing those now. Has anyone received a pre-II rejection?

I know they said they would start looking at OOS apps late November so I'm assuming they're reviewing those now. Has anyone received a pre-II rejection?
Nope! I'm not expecting to hear anything until after Christmas. I'm OOS (border state w/ ties) complete mid-late August.

Just finished my last final of the semester, woot! Keep your heads up, guys and gals. :)

Anyone have advice on how to report Fall 2016 grades? In an email they indicated that we should send a copy of grades to the SOM admissions office. Does this mean official transcripts via snail mail or would unofficial transcripts via email suffice? Any help is appreciated!

Anyone have advice on how to report Fall 2016 grades? In an email they indicated that we should send a copy of grades to the SOM admissions office. Does this mean official transcripts via snail mail or would unofficial transcripts via email suffice? Any help is appreciated!
is this a mandatory thing that they sent in an email to all applicants? i didnt get an email

It came out when you submitted your secondary. I just emailed Cindy with an unofficial copy.
if you dont mind helping me out, which email was it? the email when you were invited for the secondary or the email that said your app was complete? because i cant find it in either haha but im probably just missing it

EDIT: nvm i see it!

OOS applicant with II in January (still deciding on exact date). Anyone have some insight into their interview style? I've read that it will be 2 meetings with admissions committee members. Is this one-on-one? Length? Content?

OOS applicant with II in January (still deciding on exact date). Anyone have some insight into their interview style? I've read that it will be 2 meetings with admissions committee members. Is this one-on-one? Length? Content?
congrats! do you mind sharing stats? also hoping for some OOS love soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! OOS love is coming any day now.

I had an II for the MD/PhD program in mid January. However, it was delayed till the first week or two in February due to some type of scheduling conflict.

Chin up!! :)

Congrats on the II! We'll meet in person if you come the 14th or 28th.

Interview style is conversational, one-on-one with two different ad com members. Super chill, laid back. Questions you would expect--why do you want to be a physician, what interests you about our school, questions about your education and experiences...We also talked alot about common interests. For example, one of my interviewers had a son who was starting residency at the university I had just attended for undergrad, so we talked about the city and the school for quite a while. Talked about the nearby places to ski and whitewater raft in WV. Nearly everyone I've met had a favorable interview experience.

It's been a few years now, but I believe the interviews were about a half hour each. They went by quickly and were actually quite enjoyable. Laughed with both of mine. I got the impression that they had already decided they wanted me, as much of the time was spent telling me about the program and answering my questions. (Definitely have some questions ready.) Other OOS people said they felt the same. Makes sense if you think about only maybe 75 or so out of over a thousand applicants being offered the OOS II's, they probably are considering you a highly desirable candidate before you even get here.

Best of luck!

Congrats on the II! We'll meet in person if you come the 14th or 28th.

Interview style is conversational, one-on-one with two different ad com members. Super chill, laid back. Questions you would expect--why do you want to be a physician, what interests you about our school, questions about your education and experiences...We also talked alot about common interests. For example, one of my interviewers had a son who was starting residency at the university I had just attended for undergrad, so we talked about the city and the school for quite a while. Talked about the nearby places to ski and whitewater raft in WV. Nearly everyone I've met had a favorable interview experience.

It's been a few years now, but I believe the interviews were about a half hour each. They went by quickly and were actually quite enjoyable. Laughed with both of mine. I got the impression that they had already decided they wanted me, as much of the time was spent telling me about the program and answering my questions. (Definitely have some questions ready.) Other OOS people said they felt the same. Makes sense if you think about only maybe 75 or so out of over a thousand applicants being offered the OOS II's, they probably are considering you a highly desirable candidate before you even get here.

Best of luck!
I actually scheduled for January 21 so unfortunately we will not be meeting in person. I really appreciate the input though! I was actually concerned about being OOS with so few slots available but with your stats in mind I feel a lot better about this. Thanks again!

woo just got a reply back from Cindy saying thanks for the fall grades haha hoping for some OOS love in a nearby state!

Hey everyone!

I received a OOS II this afternoon and I am debating on attending. Does anyone know how generous they are on scholarships, particularly for OOS students? I have been accepted at an IS school that is sig. cheaper. I loved this school, but obviously finances have to be considered when choosing between schools.

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I received a OOS II this afternoon and I am debating on attending. Does anyone know how generous they are on scholarships, particularly for OOS students? I have been accepted at an IS school that is sig. cheaper. I loved this school, but obviously finances have to be considered when choosing between schools.

Thanks!
congrats! did you find out thru email?

Just in case any of the twenty of you who interviewed this morning are SDN peeps-- pleasure to have met each of you. Always impressed by the outstanding individuals our school interviews. Best of luck, and please don't hesitate to contact us if we can do anything to help you.

Just in case any of the twenty of you who interviewed this morning are SDN peeps-- pleasure to have met each of you. Always impressed by the outstanding individuals our school interviews. Best of luck, and please don't hesitate to contact us if we can do anything to help you.
I didn't get to meet you because I interviewd on the 21st but I have to say I fell in love with the school on interview day. What I was most impressed with was the attitude of the faculty and the students who volunteered their Saturday morning at 8 am to help with the process. Everyone was so friendly and informative. I got the feeling that they weren't just putting on a show but that was just part of the culture at the school. So I'm hoping to get some good news from Cindy! Would you happen to know the timeframe of admissions decisions? If my memory serves me correctly, Cindy said around early March? I'm on the edge of my seat as you can imagine. Thanks!

I didn't get to meet you because I interviewd on the 21st but I have to say I fell in love with the school on interview day. What I was most impressed with was the attitude of the faculty and the students who volunteered their Saturday morning at 8 am to help with the process. Everyone was so friendly and informative. I got the feeling that they weren't just putting on a show but that was just part of the culture at the school. So I'm hoping to get some good news from Cindy! Would you happen to know the timeframe of admissions decisions? If my memory serves me correctly, Cindy said around early March? I'm on the edge of my seat as you can imagine. Thanks!

Glad to hear your experience was a great one! It is just as you saw it--a friendly, smart, down-to-earth, collaborative bunch who are passionate about their pursuits. As enjoyable as it is humanly possible for med school to be, this school is doing all it can toward that end. And looking at my classmates, it seems they prioritized finding students who were grounded and well-rounded. They amaze me day in and day out. It strikes me what a cohesive group we are when I see what a joy it is to get back together with everyone whenever we are apart for breaks. Also, if you haven't yet, take a look at the residency match list from last year in your packet. Jaw-dropping that we could get to there from here and have the best time doing it.

To paint a true picture, I have to also say med school is absolutely grueling. But if this is what you want to do, I don't think there's a better place to do it.

Early March sounds right. Fresh in my memory how nerve-wracking the wait was! Wishing you the best of luck, and hope to see you in the Fall!

To be honest I think I was contacted early because I have legacy there - my father went there so I wouldn't read into it. I'm pretty sure they are still making admissions decisions
Now that I think about it, it would be asking a little much for Cindy to make 80-something acceptance phone calls in a single day so I'll keep my hopes up. But congratulations on your acceptance!

Has any OOS student received informtion yet on admissions decisions? I'm kind of on the edge of my seat here waiting for a phone call or email! Does anyone know on what days the admissions commitee meets to accept/reject? I've been looking through previous threads and the decisions seem to be finalized around the end of March but I was under the impression that they would be at the beginning of March. Any help would be appreciated!

Withdrew my acceptance from here. Good luck to you all

Accepted this evening! Out of state.

Reactions: 2 users
YAY! Congratulations!!!
Still crossing all my fingers and all my toes for the rest of us!

Withdrew my acceptance this week. (OOS)
I hope it goes to one of you wonderful applicants!

Got an email from Cinday today. Waitlisted :(. Hopefully I'll get some good luck!

Waitlisted as well. :(
Still hope yet!

withdrew my acceptance recently. hopefully it frees up some space!

I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!! I got the news this morning and I haven't stopped crying!
Sending good vibes to the rest of you!
tumblr_lqpd8uPn6s1qi4lg1.gif

Reactions: 3 users
I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!! I got the news this morning and I haven't stopped crying!
Sending good vibes to the rest of you!
tumblr_lqpd8uPn6s1qi4lg1.gif
Congrats! Hoping I'll be the next off the waitlist!