2025-2026 Boston University

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I got the A email! Doesn’t seem to have any mention of the merit scholarship
Mine didn’t mention one either although last year people got it in their email so idk if they changed it or we just didn’t get it ):
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine didn’t mention one either although last year people got it in their email so idk if they changed it or we just didn’t get it ):
If I don’t see anyone here reporting that it’s in their email, I’ll be a bit more inclined to believe that they changed it but who knows
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS A at noon interviewer EC, no calls from her. Accepted via email,
To next year's applicants/deferred awaiting decisions in March/December: please do not worry if you do not get a call.
Try not to worry about the interviewer's initials, as I said before, you will drive yourself nuts over it.

Super happy!
Animation Dog GIF
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey!! for Accepted students, I am gonna make a group chat on iMessage or insta for us to ask Qs and work together on figuring stuff out so send a DM if interested
 
Intl +1, just got accepted. (just to be safe) wanted to confirm that we have until Feb 6 to decide, and the only step is submitting the decision form and fee thru PTCAS right? Thanx all!🙏
Sorry, where are you getting the Feb 6 date from? I thought we had until Jan 2nd to secure our spot. Also, where did you find the International Student Data Form on the portal? Thanks!
 
Intl +1, just got accepted. (just to be safe) wanted to confirm that we have until Feb 6 to decide, and the only step is submitting the decision form and fee thru PTCAS right? Thanx all!🙏
I am so confused... I thought all December decisions came out this Saturday already???
 
does anyone know if they like post-II letters of interest/intent/etc? i don't have any updates so it wouldn't be an update letter, but I interviewed at the end of november and really like this school. I've seen ppl talk about LOI etc so I'm wondering if it would be good to write something/remind them i'm excited abt BU? but i also find letters of intent kinda stupid because unless someone withdraws their app could it not be assumed they're still interested? and i don't have much to say that wasn't mentioned in my secondary essays/interview. thoughts? 🙂
 
does anyone know if they like post-II letters of interest/intent/etc? i don't have any updates so it wouldn't be an update letter, but I interviewed at the end of november and really like this school. I've seen ppl talk about LOI etc so I'm wondering if it would be good to write something/remind them i'm excited abt BU? but i also find letters of intent kinda stupid because unless someone withdraws their app could it not be assumed they're still interested? and i don't have much to say that wasn't mentioned in my secondary essays/interview. thoughts? 🙂
I see no harm in sending one! If they're TRULY your first choice, I'd send a LOI.
 
how do i accept the deferement? in the email they said this: We appreciate that you may be exploring other options for your medical education. If you wish to remain under consideration at Boston University, please log into MyApplication, click on "Actions" at the top of the page, and then select "You have status confirmation request due" to confirm your continued interest

but I don't see anything on my BUMC portal? is there someone I can email or something? thanks in advance!
 
I see no harm in sending one! If they're TRULY your first choice, I'd send a LOI.
i'm confused about this whole thing bc i don't really have a strong "first choice"? 4 of my interviews were at schools I love equally. I also feel that I can't say I'd definitely go to a specific school if accepted because that decision is heavily based on financial aid/costs for me which we don't find out about until much later. it seems like we're only supposed to send a LOI to one school, but does that mean if I don't have definite favorite out of my interview schools that I shouldn't write anything to any of them? doesn't that end up putting me at some sort a disadvantage for not lying about strongly intending to attend one school? this is so frustratinggg
 
i'm confused about this whole thing bc i don't really have a strong "first choice"? 4 of my interviews were at schools I love equally. I also feel that I can't say I'd definitely go to a specific school if accepted because that decision is heavily based on financial aid/costs for me which we don't find out about until much later. it seems like we're only supposed to send a LOI to one school, but does that mean if I don't have definite favorite out of my interview schools that I shouldn't write anything to any of them? doesn't that end up putting me at some sort a disadvantage for not lying about strongly intending to attend one school? this is so frustratinggg
It sounds like you want to send a letter of interest then; letters of intent are usually for your top choice. They’re not binding, adcoms know that things change and you might wake up the next morning with a completely new perspective. I’d say only letters of intent are binding (ethically), especially if you say that you’ll withdraw from all other schools if you get into that school. I think you’re overthinking this - if you strongly like BU, I say send it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to clarify about scholarships because I reached out to them. They do not give out any merit-based scholarships. They only provide need-based based on the CSS and supporting documentation. The aid should be given out throughout March and April, in an order that could be last names, but not based on how much aid one gets.
 
Just wanted to clarify about scholarships because I reached out to them. They do not give out any merit-based scholarships. They only provide need-based based on the CSS and supporting documentation. The aid should be given out throughout March and April, in an order that could be last names, but not based on how much aid one gets.
Is it because they don’t have anymore money to give for merit scholarships? For the past 2 years on SDN, some people have said they received a 10k merit-based Dean’s scholarship with their acceptance. If they’re no longer giving merit aid, that’s so disappointing… this school is extremely expensive.
 
Just wanted to clarify about scholarships because I reached out to them. They do not give out any merit-based scholarships. They only provide need-based based on the CSS and supporting documentation. The aid should be given out throughout March and April, in an order that could be last names, but not based on how much aid one gets.
Is "need based" just federal student loans or is that separate?
 
Just wanted to clarify about scholarships because I reached out to them. They do not give out any merit-based scholarships. They only provide need-based based on the CSS and supporting documentation. The aid should be given out throughout March and April, in an order that could be last names, but not based on how much aid one gets.
Assuming you emailed the financial aid office, are we sure they aren’t just saying that their office specifically doesn’t award merit-based scholarships?
 
Need-based scholarships are separate from federal loans. Scholarships refer to money you do not have to pay back. It is a gift.

I think it's less about not having enough money for merit-based but more of a reflection of their values. They are a social justice medical school and are prioritizing scholarships based on people's financial situation rather than merit.

I know it sucks for people whose parents make a lot of money, but I personally really appreciate it as someone with no parental income to consider.