2023-2024 Marshall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Marshall Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Why did you decide to apply to Marshall? (5000 char)

2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine? (5000 char)

3. If you are not presently attending school indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school. If still in school, enter N/A. (2000 char)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IS received

1. Why did you decide to apply to Marshall?

2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine?

3. If you are not presently attending school indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school. If still in school, enter N/A.

IS received

1. Why did you decide to apply to Marshall?

2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine?

3. If you are not presently attending school indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school. If still in school, enter N/A.
Thank you for sharing this year’s questions. Is there a character or word limit indicated for these?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get confirmation emails when you finished the secondary? Other schools have sent me emails when I completed their secondary but I finished Marshall’s a few weeks ago but never got a confirmation email or anything

Reactions: 1 user
Did you guys get confirmation emails when you finished the secondary? Other schools have sent me emails when I completed their secondary but I finished Marshall’s a few weeks ago but never got a confirmation email or anything
I didn't get any confirmation directly from the school, just emails confirming that my payment went through

I am OOS (PA), verified on 7/10 and still no secondary. Anyone else in the same boat? Not sure what to do

Did you guys get close to the 5,000 character limit for the first two questions?

I just received my confirmation email not. Submitted my second are around a month ago

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestions for approaching med admissions about waving class requirements? Is it ok to ask? My gpa and mcat are on par with Marshall’s previous classes but I don’t meet all the class requirements. I’m IS and would really like to stay in WV for school

This is an appeal to applicants who have taken Casper for admission to Marshall University SOM.

Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.

HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.

Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.

Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.

Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.

Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!

Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!

I didn’t think they even started oos interviews yet, did you have ties?

not really, but I have a strong rural background and passion which aligns with their values I think! I was surprised too when I got the ii

Any luck guys??? 😭😭😭😭😭
Just because you haven’t heard anything yet doesn’t mean much right now…probably. One of JCESOM admissions faculty people recently left and especially with the new dean (and potential other changes) the admissions stuff is backed up. I interviewed in October and I still haven’t heard anything

Just because you haven’t heard anything yet doesn’t mean much right now…probably. One of JCESOM admissions faculty people recently left and especially with the new dean (and potential other changes) the admissions stuff is backed up. I interviewed in October and I still haven’t heard anything
To add to this, I am IS and interviewed on 9/27 and I was told that was the very first interview day. Additionally, I only received my II ten days before the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
they also do not send out waitlist so your app could be not rejected or accepted and is waiting to be looked at again. they mean every other tuesday, i believe that is what i said during my interview.

they also do not send out waitlist so your app could be not rejected or accepted and is waiting to be looked at again. they mean every other tuesday, i believe that is what i said during my interview.

clarification. they do eventually send out waitlist but you get the jist

OOS II received yesterday for dates next two weeks, LM 67

For those who interviewed, any tips?

I interviewed with Marshall 10/31 (OOS) and during the interview they said if we were accepted we would be placed on an alternate list. I received a call a week ago from them saying i was accepted, but now I'm second guessing wondering if that meant I was accepted on the alternate list or they actually have a seat for me. She just said congratulations class of 2028 and did not mention alternate list. Any thoughts?

I interviewed with Marshall 10/31 (OOS) and during the interview they said if we were accepted we would be placed on an alternate list. I received a call a week ago from them saying i was accepted, but now I'm second guessing wondering if that meant I was accepted on the alternate list or they actually have a seat for me. She just said congratulations class of 2028 and did not mention alternate list. Any thoughts?
sounds like an acceptance to me😂

Can any current applicants or students discuss what they like about the school?

I interviewed OOS on 11/14 and am starting to get antsy. On interview day admissions said to expect to hear back early December. A part of me wants to follow up with admissions, but I don't want to do that if it would be considered inappropriate and/or disrespectful. Any advice?

Anyone else who was accepted - how did y’all reach back out to say you wanted them to hold your spot? I swear she told me to email her and not send back in writing but I’ve emailed with no response so I’m anxious lmao

I interviewed OOS on 11/14 and am starting to get antsy. On interview day admissions said to expect to hear back early December. A part of me wants to follow up with admissions, but I don't want to do that if it would be considered inappropriate and/or disrespectful. Any advice?
It's okay to reach out. I called a couple of days after they said we would hear a decision and they called me back with my status. I got the impression that they welcomed contact post-interview :)

Anyone else who was accepted - how did y’all reach back out to say you wanted them to hold your spot? I swear she told me to email her and not send back in writing but I’ve emailed with no response so I’m anxious lmao
same, I emailed her after getting the snail mail but haven't heard back. I'm assuming we're ok??

Does anyone know if the student session plays a role in admissions? How is the student session like?

Does anyone know if the student session plays a role in admissions? How is the student session like?
Even if they say it doesn’t I would guarantee that it is at the very least somewhat relevant to admissions. I don’t think it would negatively or positively affect you unless you made a great/poor first impression and a student remembered your name because of it

What is the student session?
Basically something where current students at Marshall in M3 or M4 tell you about the school. I wouldn’t ask any questions about curriculum though since the ones at my session got the old in person classes. Thus they couldn’t really answer questions about lectures. However the exam making and review processes were able to be brought up and those were super helpful. It also gives you an idea of the kind of people your classmates could be from extra exposure to the other interviewees in your zoom interview session or even some new ones

Basically something where current students at Marshall in M3 or M4 tell you about the school. I wouldn’t ask any questions about curriculum though since the ones at my session got the old in person classes. Thus they couldn’t really answer questions about lectures. However the exam making and review processes were able to be brought up and those were super helpful. It also gives you an idea of the kind of people your classmates could be from extra exposure to the other interviewees in your zoom interview session or even some new ones
Sorry could you elaborate on what you mean by "old in person classes"