2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also in the no news club, complete early/mid August and IS. Apologies if this is a repeat question but is DS open to updates of any variety? (Additional coursework, etc.)

On their website in the FAQ section, it says to send in update emails during the spring semester only after you have been interviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 508 mcat with a 3.7 GPA do I have a chance at getting an interview at this point ? I sent a pre interview update and I'm praying they give me a chance. Anyone else in a similar position?

I have a 508 mcat with a 3.7 GPA do I have a chance at getting an interview at this point ? I sent a pre interview update and I'm praying they give me a chance. Anyone else in a similar position?

I have a 509/3.6x completed first half of September- crickets

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You have amazing stats! Wish you luck on your apps. Have you at least heard from any other schools?

Thanks! Interviews at Albany, UVM and NYMC so far, no acceptances yet though, keeping my fingers crossed

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED! BEYOND THRILLED. OOS. Interviewed in Nov :) Would absolutely love to go here.

Reactions: 5 users
It's the most logical way to do med school and a lot of schools are adapting it. So in a traditional curriculum, you learn all of physio of everything, then all of histo, all of pharmacy, and then all pathophysio. In distinct classes. With integrated you do everything for each system at once. So you learn normal heart physio, learn about cardio diseases, look at pathology slides, and learn cardio pharm all in the same unit.

I know y'all haven't done anatomy since October...but don't forget you're doing anatomy alongside the physio/path/pharm/histo! ;)

I know y'all haven't done anatomy since October...but don't forget you're doing anatomy alongside the physio/path/pharm/histo! ;)
Mentally preparing myself for head and neck lol..

Members don't see this ad :)
Mentally preparing myself for head and neck lol..

This is fair...its really not all that bad though.Time consuming, but the hardest part is the fact that theres less tutoring available as second years aren't around due to step 1

sooo, how many HFS's we got here??

Reactions: 3 users
How comes they put people on hfs before finishing all the interviews? Do they have a threshold for straight acceptance?

was put on hold back in August for fall grades, sent them my fall grades almost a month ago and still nothing...

Really confused about the hfs list. Does it comes before the actual waitlist? Like, do we get a chance to be pulled off of the hfs list and got accepted or do we need to be put on the waitlist first?

Really confused about the hfs list. Does it comes before the actual waitlist? Like, do we get a chance to be pulled off of the hfs list and got accepted or do we need to be put on the waitlist first?
If you go back a month, people were placed on it then accepted within weeks or sometimes days. I dont think anyone can answer your question because we dont know whats going on behind closed doors. What I really am curious about is how many people are on this list

I was put on HFS on Jan 6 and sent them a LOI shortly after. This is my top choice. Hoping for the best!

Interview received last week, scheduled for next month! Complete in July

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone accepted off HFS since that group last month?

I'm interviewing later today. Wish me luck guys!

Reactions: 10 users
Did people who interviewed send thank you note directly to the interviewer or admissions office for forwarding?

Hey downstate love me or I will step on your timbs.

Reactions: 1 users
This is fair...its really not all that bad though.Time consuming, but the hardest part is the fact that theres less tutoring available as second years aren't around due to step 1
Best of luck with step studying :)

Did people who interviewed send thank you note directly to the interviewer or admissions office for forwarding?

I think I remember writing the admissions office address with my interviewer's name on the envelope.

Nope. I planned to for like 2 weeks then just gave up. I honestly don't think it matters if you send one in.

If you are for sure not coming here and have another acceptance other than this one... I BEG YOU TO DROP YOUR SPOT!!! STOP HOARDING SPOTS AND BEING GREEDY!!!

Reactions: 7 users
In case anybody was wondering if you still have free time/fun in medical school...this is one of the many videos my classmates made for this year's student faculty show.

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone on here been given an II after submitting their Fall grade report?

Rejections being handed out today as well. Duck and cover everyone

Anyone else from early December still waiting to hear anything?

On hold, interviewed early january :(
What does hfs mean by the way?

Really starting to get impatient (and a little delirious) these days and thought I would share my current situation! Complete 9/12. Sent 2 updates so far. Got confirmation they were received but no other news…

Also got put on hold today. Does anyone know what percentage of students get accepted off the wait list? I'm not sure if such a statistic even exists...

Seems like everyone gets waitlisted... probably a good percentage will get in.

I'm interviewing this Thursday...feel like I will just get waitlisted too but thankful for 4 other interviews after this school including my dream school...Planning to use this interview as training for upcoming interviews.

Got HFS back in December, I feel you guys. Does anyone ever get accepted from that list before late spring? I feel like this is an awful lot of people to waitlist.. Do they just interview a lot of people?