2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed in December and was put on HFS in December.
Strange...

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what everyone says here it usually takes around a month to hear back so I'm surprised

Members don't see this ad :)
[QUOT E="Dr.Doctor.Dr, post: 18457323, member: 806688"]September was way over 10 weeks ago though...[/QUOTE]

Maybe you got an email to your spam or something. I would definitely call them

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Current waiting time is estimated to be 10-12 weeks post-interview, I asked

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone sent in updates to their e-mail? Do they usually e-mail you back something saying that they've updated your application?

Has anyone sent in updates to their e-mail? Do they usually e-mail you back something saying that they've updated your application?
You will get a confirmation e-mail saying your update was added to your file.

Rejected, interviewed in October.

Kind of a surprise since I thought my interview went well. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Still haven't heard from them and completed August... what does this mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in December and was just put on HFS. Does anyone know if HFS=waitlist and what my chances of being accepted off HFS will be?

I interviewed in December and was just put on HFS. Does anyone know if HFS=waitlist and what my chances of being accepted off HFS will be?
+1. I interviewed 12/7, LM=69. :((((( idk what our chances are though sorry

Last edited:
Starting to have second thoughts about Downstate. Currently on HFS so it's inconsequential at the moment....but in retrospect the best part about my experimce on interview day was seeing the match list (pretty legit), meeting some of the fellow interviewees, and the proximity to Manhattan.

lol I got grilled in my interview also, and I didn't really get a great feel for the rest of the school/campus while I was there. The facilities def need renovation....And on second thought, the surrounding area around the school was kinda sketch.

It's unfortunate because I really do want to experience living in New York at some point, but either way it may not be for Med school :/

Starting to have second thoughts about Downstate. Currently on HFS so it's inconsequential at the moment....but in retrospect the best part about my experimce on interview day was seeing the match list (pretty legit), meeting some of the fellow interviewees, and the proximity to Manhattan.

lol I got grilled in my interview also, and I didn't really get a great feel for the rest of the school/campus while I was there. The facilities def need renovation....And on second thought, the surrounding area around the school was kinda sketch.

It's unfortunate because I really do want to experience living in New York at some point, but either way it may not be for Med school :/
I get a lot of what you're saying...where are you originally from, out of curiosity? I'm from LA, and I always thought I would want to live in NYC, but felt kind of underwhelmed by the facilities and interview process.
I've heard really mixed reviews about the school itself as well. I currently have an acceptance at Buffalo and WL here, I dunno which I would pick if I didn't get into my CA schools and got into Downstate..

Last edited:

I get a lot of what you're saying...where are you originally from, out of curiosity? I'm from LA, and I always thought I would want to live in NYC, but felt kind of underwhelmed by the facilities and interview process.
The facilities aren't the best and the newest but they do the job from what I can gather. Downstate has been training doctors for over 150 years so the quality of the training you will be getting is tried and proven and should in my opinion be more important than how fancy the place looks. I don't know what you mean by the area is sketchy , its a poor urban community similar to the many you will find around NYC. Also downstate students have a reputation to be well trained and exposed to some real **** by time residency comes around and are looked at favorably. I feel this school dosnt do a good enough job at selling itself.

The facilities aren't the best and the newest but they do the job from what I can gather. Downstate has been training doctors for over 150 years so the quality of the training you will be getting is tried and proven and should in my opinion be more important than how fancy the place looks. I don't know what you mean by the area is sketchy , its a poor urban community similar to the many you will find around NYC. Also downstate students have a reputation to be well trained and exposed to some real **** by time residency comed around. I feel this school dosnt do a good enough job at selling itself.
Would you recommend DS over Buffalo? I love urban medicine, and have a lot of experience with similar communities, but I also would like to have a relatively pleasant facility to learn in. Maybe I'm just not used to NY, everything here in CA is much more focused on aesthetics

I've heard really mixed reviews about the school itself as well. I currently have an acceptance at Buffalo and WL here, I dunno which I would pick if I didn't get into my CA schools and got into Downstate..

Grew up in Illinois, Georgia, and Wisconsin. Ugh that sucks being from CA. Good luck with getting into a school over there. But at least you have an acceptance in hand and a WL/HFS from Downstate

The facilities aren't the best and the newest but they do the job from what I can gather. Downstate has been training doctors for over 150 years so the quality of the training you will be getting is tried and proven and should in my opinion be more important than how fancy the place looks. I don't know what you mean by the area is sketchy , its a poor urban community similar to the many you will find around NYC. Also downstate students have a reputation to be well trained and exposed to some real **** by time residency comes around and are looked at favorably. I feel this school dosnt do a good enough job at selling itself.

I'm not bashing Downstate, just giving an honest assessment. Everything needs to be factored in when evaluating a medical school, including location, atmosphere, etc.. I have no doubt that Downstate trains excellent doctors, which the match list can attest to.

Grew up in Illinois, Georgia, and Wisconsin. Ugh that sucks being from CA. Good luck with a school over there. But at least you have an acceptance in hand and a WL/HFS from Downstate
Yea, I can see how Brooklyn would be super different from that. And thanks! Still waiting on a couple decisions on my home state, so fingers crossed.

Would you recommend DS over Buffalo? I love urban medicine, and have a lot of experience with similar communities, but I also would like to have a relatively pleasant facility to learn in. Maybe I'm just not used to NY, everything here in CA is much more focused on aesthetics
Yes ! Downstate is the safety net provider for most of the poorest neighborhoods in Brooklyn. You going to see alot and do alot as a medical student because most of the times they need the extra hands and physicians around NYC know this and respect downstate students alot. As a fellow brooklyner this school and the affiliated facilities mean the world to this borough. Hoe shiny and fancy looking the school and equipment are doesn't take away from the dam good training you going to get.

I'm not bashing Downstate, just giving an honest assessment. Everything needs to be factored in when evaluating a medical school, including location, atmosphere, etc.. I have no doubt that Downstate trains excellent doctors, which the match list can attest to.
Not saying you are bashing the school but I just wanted to share my opinion that how nice the school facilities look shouldn't play a huge role in evaluating this school (my personal opinion ). And as a local to the area I am wondering what you mean by the place is sketchy? IF by that u mean it's a poor area with crime then yes, but that's true about most poor urban communities

Yes ! Downstate is the safety net provider for most of the poorest neighborhoods in Brooklyn. You going to see alot and do alot as a medical student because most of the times they need the extra hands and physicians around NYC know this and respect downstate students alot. As a fellow brooklyner this school and the affiliated facilities mean the world to this borough. Hoe shiny and fancy looking the school and equipment are doesn't take away from the dam good training you going to get.
Thanks for your perspective! Are you applying here this year or in the future? You seem like you'd be a great candidate for here.

As for location, I think people just have very different opinions about what constitutes sketchy. For some, if you can't leave your car or house unlocked overnight = sketchy, for others you'd have to be mugged and shot in broad daylight for them to consider it dangerous. I think DS falls somewhere on the higher end of if that spectrum, buy I don't think it's a huge consideration, many med schools are in a similar area

Thanks for your perspective! Are you applying here this year or in the future? You seem like you'd be a great candidate for here.

As for location, I think people just have very different opinions about what constitutes sketchy. For some, if you can't leave your car or house unlocked overnight = sketchy, for others you'd have to be mugged and shot in broad daylight for them to consider it dangerous. I think DS falls on the higher end of if that spectrum, buy I don't think it's a huge consideration, many med schools are in a similar area
Interviewed there a few days ago and had a blast. My interviewer and I got seriously sidetracked haha ha. I grew up in a 3rd world country so I can see how I have a different prospective than others, but as long as you're smart and aware of your surroundings you should be fine in the area around DS. But that's something I love about DS and schools like Temple, i think medschools and health care facilities shold be embedded into the community that needs them the most. But again I do realize how this might be uncomfortable for someone who was brought up differently.

Not saying you are bashing the school but I just wanted to share my opinion that how nice the school facilities look shouldn't play a huge role in evaluating this school (my personal opinion ). And as a local to the area I am wondering what you mean by the place is sketchy? IF by that u mean it's a poor area with crime then yes, but that's true about most poor urban communities

The night prior to my interview, I took the subway from Manhattan to Brooklyn to explore the area and get a good feel on the best way to get there in the morning, since I was unfamiliar with the area. When I got off the subway, there was a group of kids two blocks from Downstate who, unprovoked, hit an umbrella onto the side of a car passing by and cussed at the driver passing by. It was super random, and uncalled for. The driver stopped, and got out to check the damage before the kids laughed, cussed him out, and ran off. And I say "kids" but they were probably in their early 20s/ late teens. I think they were just looking for a fight. Idk.

I am familiar with living in urban areas, having lived and commuted in downtown cities . It has nothing to do with a fear for safety or urban communities. It's an observation based on my own personal experience. On the interview though, our tour guide did mention that there have been minor crimes around the area like theft, but it's not a major concern.

So yeah, that's what I meant by using the word sketchy. But as a local, I can see why you would take umbrage at that characterization.

The night prior to my interview, I took the subway from Manhattan to Brooklyn to explore the area and get a good feel on the best way to get there in the morning, since I was unfamiliar with the area. When I got off the subway, there was a group of kids two blocks from Downstate who, unprovoked, hit an umbrella onto the side of a car passing by and cussed at the driver passing by. It was super random, and uncalled for. The driver stopped, and got out to check the damage before the kids laughed, cussed him out, and ran off. And I say "kids" but they were probably in their early 20s/ late teens. I think they were just looking for a fight. Idk.

I am familiar with living in urban areas, having lived and commuted in downtown cities . It has nothing to do with a fear for safety or urban communities. It's an observation based on my own personal experience. On the interview though, our tour guide did mention that there have been minor crimes around the area like theft, but it's not a major concern.

So yeah, that's what I meant by using the word sketchy. But as a local, I can see why you would take umbrage at that characterization.
You will get a few idiots like these everywhere but I see how this could leave a negative impression on you even though you know this is not reflective of the majority of the population. But I'm not going to lie or sugar coat any thing that area of brooklyn has some communities that are as tough as dirt but it has its charm

The driver stopped, and got out to check the damage before the kids laughed, cussed him out, and ran off.
Dude is brave/dumb for stopping and getting out. I would gtfo of there so fast if someone did that to me. Given I'm a chick, but still

Hey guys! What does it mean if I hadn't heard back yet? Completed in August. No II yet

Dude is brave/dumb for stopping and getting out. I would gtfo of there so fast if someone did that to me. Given I'm a chick, but still

Just fyi, the campus where the Buffalo medical school is located is not all that great crime wise. i think this past semester there were 4 robberies on campus with like 2-3 of them at broad daylight. There was stabbing involved in one of the incident. The new medical campus is not going to be open for at least another year. So, I'm pretty confident class of 2021 will at least spend a minimum of 1 year at the current campus. Parking will be the biggest issue when the campus move...actually parking is still a huge issue now. I want to say for Buffalo...I think 70-80 percent of the time you going to be working in communities that would be considered "sketchy" by many people. These may be some info to keep in mind if you do end up in a predicament

Reactions: 1 users
Just fyi, the campus where the Buffalo medical school is located is not all that great crime wise. i think this past semester there were 4 robberies on campus with like 2-3 of them at broad daylight. There was stabbing involved in one of the incident. The new medical campus is not going to be open for at least another year. So, I'm pretty confident class of 2021 will at least spend a minimum of 1 year at the current campus. Parking will be the biggest issue when the campus move...actually parking is still a huge issue now. I want to say for Buffalo...I think 70-80 percent of the time you going to be working in communities that would be considered "sketchy" by many people. These may be some info to keep in mind if you do end up in a predicament
Yea, I wasn't the person who brought up sketchiness, but good to know! I've lived/worked in a variety of places in the LA area and enjoyed even the 'sketchy' places, so I'm not too worried, but it's always important to be careful

It means you haven't heard back yet. Plenty (even some before your complete date) are still sitting without a decision - patience is needed in this cycle in copious amounts unfortunately! You will hear back eventually. Best of luck.

Hey guys! What does it mean if I hadn't heard back yet? Completed in August. No II yet

It means you haven't heard back yet. Plenty (even some before your complete date) are still sitting without a decision - patience is needed in this cycle in copious amounts unfortunately! You will hear back eventually. Best of luck.

No news club checking in. Completed Mid-July. IS :yawn:

hello all, can someone please comment exactly what is meant by an "integrated curriculum"? im reading downstate's website and they say they have an integrated pathways curriculum, so any insight/knowledge/advice/info about this would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

hello all, can someone please comment exactly what is meant by an "integrated curriculum"? im reading downstate's website and they say they have an integrated pathways curriculum, so any insight/knowledge/advice/info about this would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

It's the most logical way to do med school and a lot of schools are adapting it. So in a traditional curriculum, you learn all of physio of everything, then all of histo, all of pharmacy, and then all pathophysio. In distinct classes. With integrated you do everything for each system at once. So you learn normal heart physio, learn about cardio diseases, look at pathology slides, and learn cardio pharm all in the same unit.

Also, on your interview day they provide a significant amount of information on the curriculum(detailed map, descriptions, videos) with the opportunity to ask any questions in group discussion. The tour guides also answer questions and give their perspectives

Anyone have input on crafting a LOI for people on the HFS list? I have updates on publications but mostly just want to affirm that I would go here over other acceptances. I know that I shouldn't mention these in the letter but is there a way to imply this without sounding desperate?

Thanks!

No news club checking in. Completed Mid-July. IS :yawn:
Also in the no news club, complete early/mid August and IS. Apologies if this is a repeat question but is DS open to updates of any variety? (Additional coursework, etc.)

Disclaimer: I have no significant evidence for this other than the time of the cycle(recent holidays) and the estimated decision timeline.

My guess is that given the above, they are taking into account the recent interviews and are not making terminal decisions without having considered a bulk of applicants.

They interview >1000 students for <200 seats, so I am assuming that they are taking these interviews into great consideration, and comparing scores between applicants.

Again, these are my assumptions on limited evidence. I hope it provides some consolation that this may be a delay in decision-making rather than predictive of a negative decision.

Anyone get an acceptance in the past 2 weeks? Been seeing a lot of HFS (myself included despite thinking the interview went really well), wondering if it is at all possible that these were mistake emails and we would receive the same fate as the batch a month or so ago where they received acceptances a week after HFS.
Doubt they're mistakes, but wouldn't be surprised if a lot of HFS applicants end up accepted.

Complete - Sept 22
Interview Invite yesterday - Jan 10th
Scheduled for Feb 15th.
IS - (Southside Jamaica, Queens native.)

Reactions: 1 users
Complete - Sept 22
Interview Invite yesterday - Jan 10th
Scheduled for Feb 15th.
IS - (Southside Jamaica, Queens native.)

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I haven't heard anything yet in regards to a possibility for interview. I was complete at the beginning of August. Any advice please!