You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 University of Kentucky Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Quick question:
How does The University of Kentucky feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?
Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!
How does The University of Kentucky feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?
Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!
Going to be an M3 here in a couple weeks. I had a few pre-reqs at a CC, but no online labs. The best thing to do would be call the admissions office. They are really terrific people and can give you a better answer than any of us on SDN. Good luck!Quick question:
How does The University of Kentucky feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?
Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got it this morning (time-stamp was 6am Central Time). Here are the questions (they haven't changed since 2011 when my husband applied):
1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?
2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?
3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?
4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.
5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?
6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.
7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts about your background, such as the quality of your early education environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Finally for out of state students only:
Essay
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points: (1) Reasons for selecting a medical careers (2) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career; (3) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and, (4) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. (5) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.
1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?
2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?
3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?
4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.
5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?
6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.
7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts about your background, such as the quality of your early education environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Finally for out of state students only:
Essay
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points: (1) Reasons for selecting a medical careers (2) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career; (3) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and, (4) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. (5) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.
Got it this morning (time-stamp was 6am Central Time). Here are the questions (they haven't changed since 2011 when my husband applied):
.
Any word limits? I'm OOS are you an IS?
No word limits, but shorter is probably better. My husband actually graduated from this program, and we moved OOS for residency, so I'm OOS now too!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Anybody have a strategy of the OOS Essay? Or any idea for character count?
Anybody have a strategy of the OOS Essay? Or any idea for character count?
Mine ended up being about three paragraphs. I would definitely mention any ties you have to the state or school, family that lives there, went to college in KY, ever lived in KY, etc. if you have them. Look at the website and make sure you can express why you're interested in going to school at Kentucky, note specific things that you like, especially if they're unique to the school. I tried to hit all five points, but since I moved from KY less than a month ago, I ended up talking about my ties to the state and to the school (went there for undergrad and my husband graduated from their program) more than some of the other points. Just honestly express why you would want to go to school there. Good luck!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The issue of essay length comes up every year in the UK forum since they don't specify a limit. I'll repost what I wrote in last year's thread about my experience, but people have gotten in with varying lengths. I honestly wouldn't stress about it too much. Say what you need to say without too much fluff and you'll be fine!
From my previous post: I did a word count on my UK essays from the 2013-2014 cycle (same questions as this cycle) and found mine were between 220 and 480 words for the essays everyone fills out but 1200 words for the OOS essay (I guess I had a lot to say about that one).
From my previous post: I did a word count on my UK essays from the 2013-2014 cycle (same questions as this cycle) and found mine were between 220 and 480 words for the essays everyone fills out but 1200 words for the OOS essay (I guess I had a lot to say about that one).
Last edited:
FYI: The dates for this year's interviews are on the website (current despite the URL)
https://meded.med.uky.edu/important-dates-2015-2016-admissions-cycle
https://meded.med.uky.edu/important-dates-2015-2016-admissions-cycle
Has anyone gotten an II yet? I submitted my Secondary about 5 days ago.
Has anyone gotten an II yet? I submitted my Secondary about 5 days ago.
I'm still waiting on a professor to upload my letter, so mine still says evaluations missing. You can log onto the secondary portal to check your status, same link and password etc. you used to submit the secondary.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm still waiting on a professor to upload my letter, so mine still says evaluations missing. You can log onto the secondary portal to check your status, same link and password etc. you used to submit the secondary.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My file is complete. I'm hoping to get that II soon!
Anyone have a status change from File Complete to Sent to Screening?
Last year it was about a week or so from now that they started sending them to screening and such.![]()
Mine still says File Complete...since 7/10!! I'm surprised they haven't started sending invites out yet considering their first interview date is August 16th! Anyone else do ED?? I put all my eggs in this basket
Mine still says File Complete...since 7/10!! I'm surprised they haven't started sending invites out yet considering their first interview date is August 16th! Anyone else do ED?? I put all my eggs in this basket![]()
Did yall's take a day or two to register as complete? I completed the secondary, did the digital signature, and paid the application fee earlier today but my status says "Secondary Application Requested". Any ideas?
Did yall's take a day or two to register as complete? I completed the secondary, did the digital signature, and paid the application fee earlier today but my status says "Secondary Application Requested". Any ideas?
I think mine took a day or two after I submitted it to update the status.
Mine still says File Complete...since 7/10!! I'm surprised they haven't started sending invites out yet considering their first interview date is August 16th! Anyone else do ED?? I put all my eggs in this basket![]()
I also applied ED. I'm pretty sure they state that they reserve the first two interview days for ED people so that means we'll (hopefully) be interviewing either 8/16 or 8/23. Also still at "file complete" stage.
I imagine everyone who applied ED is instate?
Are there any other OOS here?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Are there any other OOS here?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm OOS! But applying Regular.I imagine everyone who applied ED is instate?
Are there any other OOS here?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Perfect! I applied regular too! 🙂I'm OOS! But applying Regular.
I also applied ED. I'm pretty sure they state that they reserve the first two interview days for ED people so that means we'll (hopefully) be interviewing either 8/16 or 8/23. Also still at "file complete" stage.
Status now says "sent to screening" but I got an email with a time slot for an interview!!
Status now says "sent to screening" but I got an email with a time slot for an interview!!
Congrats on your II! Still nothing yet, my status is still "file complete". I applied RD so I'm assuming they'd send ours out after the ED?
I applied regular too, and I dont have anything yet!Congrats on your II! Still nothing yet, my status is still "file complete". I applied RD so I'm assuming they'd send ours out after the ED?
I also received an interview day and time slot (but applied ED).
Thank you! Yeah on their site it says ED applicants get priority for the first few slots, so that's probably it. I'm sure your II is coming 🙂Congrats on your II! Still nothing yet, my status is still "file complete". I applied RD so I'm assuming they'd send ours out after the ED?
Congrats! Will you be there the 16th as well or did you get a different day?I also received an interview day and time slot (but applied ED).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will also be on the 16th!Congrats! Will you be there the 16th as well or did you get a different day?
D
deleted706240
Re-applicant here this year. Hoping to get an early interview
II today! OOS but have ties to Kentucky, applying regular decision.
Congrats!!
Around what time do they send those out? I want to be near my computer when it comes out so I can signup ASAP!
Around what time do they send those out? I want to be near my computer when it comes out so I can signup ASAP!
Congrats!!
Around what time do they send those out? I want to be near my computer when it comes out so I can signup ASAP!
Thanks! Mine came in around 5:30pm, and the interview slots fill up fast!
OOS here and I received an II on 8/5/16 around 5:30 pm. I was on the road and didn't see it until 6. I was hoping to get a Saturday slot and see some horse races at Keeneland!
Hey congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?OOS here and I received an II on 8/5/16 around 5:30 pm. I was on the road and didn't see it until 6. I was hoping to get a Saturday slot and see some horse races at Keeneland!
I am in-state and sent in secondary on 7/11. I just received an email stating they were deferring my application to screen with other applicants. I am disappointed because I am in-state and thought I would have an interview with UK. Does anyone know the about how much of those held for screening actually get an interview? Also, usually how long do they hold the application before making a decision.
Thanks!
Thanks!
You can definitely look at last years thread to hopefully get a better idea. Can I ask what your stats are? I thought UK was pretty committed to IS.I am in-state and sent in secondary on 7/11. I just received an email stating they were deferring my application to screen with other applicants. I am disappointed because I am in-state and thought I would have an interview with UK. Does anyone know the about how much of those held for screening actually get an interview? Also, usually how long do they hold the application before making a decision.
Thanks!
But also remember it's only August, you will definitely be re-reviewed [hopefully by Sept/Oct] 🙂
Here is the link to last years http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...of-kentucky-application-thread.1135743/page-2
Hey congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?
514 / sGPA 3.51 / cGPA 3.48
Good luck everyone!
Congratulations, that means you are invited to interview! The portal status changes before they actually email you with the official invite, sometimes several days before. I assume that's the source of your confusion...So I was checking my app status and it says Interview(s) To Be Scheduled. I'm confused.
Congratulations, that means you are invited to interview! The portal status changes before they actually email you with the official invite, sometimes several days before. I assume that's the source of your confusion...
Is there rhyme or reason to how they send them out? Since the last batch went out Friday should we chill until Friday? Or is it completely random.
UK is my #1 right now, so I can hardly sleep because I'm worried I'll miss signing up for an interview
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh!! thank you for explaining it. I'm excited now hahaCongratulations, that means you are invited to interview! The portal status changes before they actually email you with the official invite, sometimes several days before. I assume that's the source of your confusion...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh my GOSH. Just got the email inviting me to schedule an interview
August 23rd 😍😍😍😍😍
As of right now regular decision applicants are being allowed to sign up for early decision days to fill the slots 🙂
Congrats!! Did they send a separate e-mail saying you could sign up for ED days? I signed up for mine last week but the earliest slot I could get was November, but I'd prefer earlier if possible.
Directly from the email (same one inviting me to sign up for a date)Congrats!! Did they send a separate e-mail saying you could sign up for ED days? I signed up for mine last week but the earliest slot I could get was November, but I'd prefer earlier if possible.
" At this time, regular applicants may reserve early decision dates to fill in those empty slots."
I emailed them this morning and they said that they've been having issues with their calendar.
See if you can go back and change it! Or email to ask. It doesnt hurt 🙂
Congrats! What date are you picking?!!?!Just got the II too!!!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K