**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been a lurker for some time now. I was going to become active when it was my time to apply (2017-2018 cycle) but I felt compelled to post now. I just want to say that I am thankful for this section of SDN and everyone who remains active in it. I love how everyone encourages and supports one another as we all take the plunge of applying to medical school. I wish everybody the best of luck in their cycle, I know you guys will all do great!

Welcome! I can't wait to see you succeed. 🙂
 
Just wanted to say you all are so inspiring! I look forward to following in your amazing footsteps when I apply the next upcoming cycle (when I conquer the MCAT in September)

Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been a lurker for some time now. I was going to become active when it was my time to apply (2017-2018 cycle) but I felt compelled to post now. I just want to say that I am thankful for this section of SDN and everyone who remains active in it. I love how everyone encourages and supports one another as we all take the plunge of applying to medical school. I wish everybody the best of luck in their cycle, I know you guys will all do great!

I love seeing how we are impacting future generations of physicians. I remember being so inspired by the 2015-2016 URMs & rooting for each of them like they were my childhood besties lol

You two will do well in your cycles. Like OTI said, always be positive and supportive to one another. It does intangible wonders
 
Hello everyone, I just think it’s extremely amazing how this forum is here as a resource for pre-meds who are about to start the application process. I recently came across this forum and created an account because I really think this is an excellent tool to use. I am planning to apply to med school in 2018- 2019 school year, so I am getting really excited for what is in store for the future. If I have any questions I will definitely be reaching out to you all. One thing I noticed though there are a lack of minority males pursuing medicine and ultimately sharing their med school journey online. I recently came across this YouTube channel, Mission 2 Medicine, a young male in college sharing his pre-med experience. I think you all should definitely check it out. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKPGBOLAdyx7Z3Uf2Cxo_A
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's so sad... I can't submit my application to my ONE state school because they don't offer fee waivers for FAP applicants. So need to wait to put aside enough money. Everything else complete..but the mulah 😳
 
It's so sad... I can't submit my application to my ONE state school because they don't offer fee waivers for FAP applicants. So need to wait to put aside enough money. Everything else complete..but the mulah 😳

Sorry to hear that🙁. I definitely feel you on the finances. Just remember that you've gotten this far and I'm sure you'll have multiple acceptances when it's all said and done. Just think of it as a minor bump on the road.🙂
 
😀 What did I tell ya! I knew you were gonna kill it this cycle! Now next thing to look for is that full ride scholarship God willing 😎
Amen! Thanks for the support and prayers all through. 🙂And all of you are such encouraging, supportive people. I pray to have this caliber of people in my life everyday. :biglove:
 
Okay now you're offish representing all of us at these top dog institutions lol the price you pay for being AMAZING.

I also expect deets from your interview days so I can properly live vicariously. 🙄
Definitely! Check out my mdapps page. I'll try to update there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*goes into mild panic over breaking tradition*

You know why I'm here. Here's hoping to a new, albeit short, week of IIs from our dream schools (switched it up a lil). Firsts for those that haven't heard back yet, extra for the mere mortals with a few, more for the legends with many. :biglove:
 
Chelsea and Wizkid, your IIs will start rolling in. I'm sure of it.

Everyone else, have y'all had interviews yet? How have they been? Mine are approaching and I'm starting to get hella nervous. Like, I like to think I'm charming , but I'm biased lol ugh, it feels like so much is at stake. :arghh:
 
Chelsea and Wizkid, your IIs will start rolling in. I'm sure of it.

Everyone else, have y'all had interviews yet? How have they been? Mine are approaching and I'm starting to get hella nervous. Like, I like to think I'm charming , but I'm biased lol ugh, it feels like so much is at stake. :arghh:
I've attended a few, and they are actually not that bad. Most (if not all) of my interviewers we very conversational. I pray you will have favor and do really well. They are not bad (in my experience).
 
I've attended a few, and they are actually not that bad. Most (if not all) of my interviewers we very conversational. I pray you will have favor and do really well. They are not bad (in my experience).

Did you find that your fellow interviewees were hyper competitive? Or were the environments generally friendly/welcoming?
 
I've attended a few, and they are actually not that bad. Most (if not all) of my interviewers we very conversational. I pray you will have favor and do really well. They are not bad (in my experience).

By any chance did your committee letter require an interview? And, does it resemble what you have experienced?

My school offered a panel interview that lasted about 30 minutes. I plan on setting up mock-interviews with multiple PI's for additional preparation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
By any chance did your committee letter require an interview? And, does it resemble what you have experienced?

My school offered a panel interview that lasted about 30 minutes. I plan on setting up mock-interviews with multiple PI's for additional preparation.
I actually never had a mock interview. I just went in as myself (I hope they liked me:xf: ...). Anyway, I think that is a good idea because I have been interviewed by medical students, MDs and PhDs alike.
 
Did you find that your fellow interviewees were hyper competitive? Or were the environments generally friendly/welcoming?
It really depends on where you go. In one of the NE schools I went to, the school itself was great, but it felt like all the kids were trying to one-up each other with their accomplishments. But here in TX, I've never felt that way (except with one person). My goal is to not fall to that level and to be positive and nice to all. Always remember that the students you interview with aren't the ones you have to prove yourself to; it's the adcoms.
 
It really depends on where you go. In one of the NE schools I went to, the school itself was great, but it felt like all the kids were trying to one-up each other with their accomplishments. But here in TX, I've never felt that way (except with one person). My goal is to not fall to that level and to be positive and nice to all. Always remember that the students you interview with aren't the ones you have to prove yourself to; it's the adcoms.
Lots of insecurity on the interview trail. I mean this process is tough and makes you doubt yourself a lot. But, once you get the interview, you're already successful. I had a great time during my interview and will continue to do so on my next ones.
 
Did you find that your fellow interviewees were hyper competitive? Or were the environments generally friendly/welcoming?

With the exception of the socially awkward individual or the insecure gunner who tries to outdo other interviewees by monopolizing the Q&A session and taking every opportunity to bring up their connections to the school (that did actually happen🙄), other interviewees were very friendly, noncompetitive, and cordial. I never understand the purpose of the gunner mentality during interviews. I feel that adcoms after interviewing 1000s on applicants have seen it all and have developed a pretty sensitive bulls**t detectors, so this stuff only works to the disadvantage of the interviewee. Oh well, I'll just sit back with my tub of popcorn and let those types unknowingly self-destruct.
 
With the exception of the socially awkward individual or the insecure gunner who tries to outdo other interviewees by monopolizing the Q&A session and taking every opportunity to bring up their connections to the school (that did actually happen🙄), other interviewees were very friendly, noncompetitive, and cordial. I never understand the purpose of the gunner mentality during interviews. I feel that adcoms after interviewing 1000s on applicants have seen it all and have developed a pretty sensitive bulls**t detectors, so this stuff only works to the disadvantage of the interviewee. Oh well, I'll just sit back with my tub of popcorn and let those types unknowingly self-destruct.
You spoke the less nice version on my mind just now...
 
Did you find that your fellow interviewees were hyper competitive? Or were the environments generally friendly/welcoming?

I've had a couple of people try to size me up on the sly... but I have no time. Then there are definitely those who take up most of the Q&A sessions with questions that earn a slight head tilt from me.

Otherwise, the majority are at least trying to come off as friendly and enjoy their interview day.
 
Last edited:
Is anybody else experiencing like this uneasiness in not having any control over this process. It seems like every time I click submit on a secondary a part of my soul leaves. :laugh: I want an interview!!!
 
Haven't posted in a while. Great to see so man of you well on your way to completing another phase of this journey.

For those who applied to Johns Hopkins, would any mind commenting on how they approached the secondary question " Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?" as URMs? I've had to resist the urge to say "with the exception of my time at [HBCU] I've spent my life not in the majority." I know there are other interpretations of this question that aren't racial/ethnic specific, but I'm curious as to folks' thoughts.

thanks!
 
Haven't posted in a while. Great to see so man of you well on your way to completing another phase of this journey.

For those who applied to Johns Hopkins, would any mind commenting on how they approached the secondary question " Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?" as URMs? I've had to resist the urge to say "with the exception of my time at [HBCU] I've spent my life not in the majority." I know there are other interpretations of this question that aren't racial/ethnic specific, but I'm curious as to folks' thoughts.

thanks!

I wrote about an ethical debate on "right to die" I had during college.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haven't posted in a while. Great to see so man of you well on your way to completing another phase of this journey.

For those who applied to Johns Hopkins, would any mind commenting on how they approached the secondary question " Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?" as URMs? I've had to resist the urge to say "with the exception of my time at [HBCU] I've spent my life not in the majority." I know there are other interpretations of this question that aren't racial/ethnic specific, but I'm curious as to folks' thoughts.

thanks!
Same. I wrote about when I was of a minority opinion in a debate. Maybe pick a different issue (because all decisions are subjective here, so stay away from touchy issues), but I think it is a more "can you work with those who disagree with you and learn from them" question than a demographics one.
 
Same. I wrote about when I was of a minority opinion in a debate. Maybe pick a different issue (because all decisions are subjective here, so stay away from touchy issues), but I think it is a more "can you work with those who disagree with you and learn from them" question than a demographics one.

Current essay (advisor is reviewing now) is on my experience in Singapore at a temple where I was completely ignorant of the cultural norm. I work in policy now and there are many examples of when my position overall was not the majority, but the problem re: touchy subjects is what I'm concerned about. Most of the experiences that I can think of that aren't centered around my URM status and that can honestly say I've learned from or gained a new skill could be off putting to an ad com OR Ive used the anecdote already in the primary or elsewhere in the secondary and don't want to use them again when there are other experiences. Anyway, I'll see what my advisor's feedback is later today. Really need to get this submitted
 
Haven't posted in a while. Great to see so man of you well on your way to completing another phase of this journey.

For those who applied to Johns Hopkins, would any mind commenting on how they approached the secondary question " Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?" as URMs? I've had to resist the urge to say "with the exception of my time at [HBCU] I've spent my life not in the majority." I know there are other interpretations of this question that aren't racial/ethnic specific, but I'm curious as to folks' thoughts.

thanks!

Yo lol I feel the bolded part deep deep deep in my soul.
 
Hi! I'm new on SDN (mostly a reddit user). Anway...
LizzyM<64 + gGPA: ~3.75
Volunteering: ~150 hrs in underserved communities
Research: ~600 hours (including a ~200 hour internship)

Have absolutely no idea if I have a chance this cycle, but I've prewritten the majority of my secondaries and should be verified within a few days. Thanks for reading!
 
Last edited:
Hi! I'm new on SDN (mostly a reddit user). Anway...
cGPA/sGPA: ~3.0, gGPA: ~3.75
MCAT: 510
Volunteering: ~150 hrs in underserved communities
Research: ~600 hours (including a ~200 hour internship)

Have absolutely no idea if I have a chance this cycle, but I've prewritten the majority of my secondaries and should be verified within a few days. Thanks for reading!
Umm....you most definitely have more than a chance!