**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And there's that precious 2nd II. My state school finally showed some love😍

When does it all become a blur?

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

My State school hasn't pulled through yet. But from the looks of it they haven't really pulled through for many people at all [emoji19]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

My State school hasn't pulled through yet. But from the looks of it that haven't really pulled through for many people at all [emoji19]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's normal for public schools to send out interviews later in the cycle. Mine only sent out its first dates a few weeks ago and I was able to schedule 11 days from now.
 
It's normal for public schools to send out interviews later in the cycle. Mine only sent out its first dates a few weeks ago and I was able to schedule 11 days from now.

Didn't realize that! Thanks for the info. I'm currently OOS. So I'm waiting on the invite to double down and visit family and friends at the same time, which is prob why I'm counting the days more than other schools.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Interview at my state school tomorrow. Beyond grateful to have it but I seem to have my heart set on another school that I'm interviewing at next month.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mannnn this feeling is the worst. I messed around and fell in love with Pittsburgh and I really don't know what to do. Lmao I just hope Pitt doesn't play me come January. LordT
 
Mannnn this feeling is the worst. I messed around and fell in love with Pittsburgh and I really don't know what to do. Lmao I just hope Pitt doesn't play me come January. LordT

Yea it sucks because I'm trying to stay focused because it's an amazing opportunity to get any interviews but my heart isn't in it. Hopefully I can muster some excitement.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Yea it sucks because I'm trying to stay focused because it's an amazing opportunity to get any interviews but my heart isn't in it. Hopefully I can muster some excitement.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel exactly like this. I worked so hard to get to this place and now I'm getting lazy about other schools because I want to go to my top choice.
 
Side comment: does anyone else text their family in big group messages about interviews just so you get the nonstop confetti parade?

I do.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's email for me. At this point, each new II is like letting them know that water is wet. They be like, "Oh, that's nice."

My dad swears we can act funky about certain schools now that he thinks we are in the clear. He tried to tell me I couldn't move to one city in particular. Until I get an acceptance I'm just like...

giphy.gif

LOL. My mom is getting picky as hell. She almost convinced me to drop one interview. I have the same paranoia as you. Until I get 1 acceptance, I do not feel comfortable turning down any interviews. The one I turn down may end up being my best chance of getting in.

Once you realize dad's paying all the bills

Nathan-Fillion-Loss-For-Words-Reaction-Gif.gif

Sad but true.😳
 
It's email for me. At this point, each new II is like letting them know that water is wet. They be like, "Oh, that's nice."



LOL. My mom is getting picky as hell. She almost convinced me to drop one interview. I have the same paranoia as you. Until I get 1 acceptance, I do not feel comfortable turning down any interviews. The one I turn down may end up being my best chance of getting in.



Sad but true.😳

I meant literally the confetti [emoji322] On iPhone, iOS 10 when someone says congrats, your screen gets a burst of confetti. I love it. I text congrats to ppl randomly just to see it lol

That and awkward turtles with laser show lol


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I meant literally the confetti [emoji322] On iPhone, iOS 10 when someone says congrats, your screen gets a burst of confetti. I love it. I text congrats to ppl randomly just to see it lol

That and awkward turtles with laser show lol


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That sounds like so much fun! I would have loved some e-confetti to go along with my victory dances🙁. Android phones need to step their game up.
 
Do you guys use student host or rent a hotel when going to interviews ?The school is in a rural area so hotel prices are a little cheap (relative to what im used to in New York).I'm Thinking student host would be the most cost effective(maybe just $20 for a gift card to say thank you) and you get to see the living environment and you also get to know a student better before the interview. I am just wondering if being in someone else's space might throw a person off , I love to listen Justin Timberlake suit and ties song while dancing and putting on my suit on .Dont think I can do this with someone else there. But at the end of the day its all about cost effectiveness. Right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys use student host or rent a hotel when going to interviews ?The school is in a rural area so hotel prices are a little cheap (relative to what im used to in New York).I'm Thinking student host would be the most cost effective(maybe just $20 for a gift card to say thank you) and you get to see the living environment and you also get to know a student better before the interview. I am just wondering if being in someone else's space might throw a person off , I love to listen Justin Timberlake suit and ties song while dancing and putting on my suit on .Dont think I can do this with someone else there. But at the end of the day its all about cost effectiveness. Right?

For me comfort and getting into my zone are priority. I don't do well in other people's space so I opt for hotels. Do whatever will put you in the best mindset.

If a host wouldn't bother you, go for it. Saving money is always a plus.
 
For me comfort and getting into my zone are priority. I don't do well in other people's space so I opt for hotels. Do whatever will put you in the best mindset.

If a host wouldn't bother you, go for it. Saving money is always a plus.

I'm staying with a student host when I go to Pitt. But it's a guest room with it's own bathroom and very close. I think the private space combined with easy transportation is the only reason.
Coming from farther away would be more stressful for me, nothing is more stressful, imo, than the thought of getting lost/bad uber driver, chaotic logistics. I hope it goes well.



Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
I'm staying with a student host when I got to Pitt. But it's a guest room with it's own bathroom and very close. I think the private space combined with easy transportation is the only reason.
Coming from farther away would be more stressful for me, nothing is more than stressful, imo, is the thought of getting lost/bad uber driver, chaotic logistics. I hope it goes well.



Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thats great, but do schools tell you this before hand ? I heard most of the times you will be sleeping on the couch.
 
Thats great, but do schools tell you this before hand ? I heard most of the times you will be sleeping on the couch.

Pitt has a spread sheet where students fill out info about themselves, what kind of interviewee they want to host, what they have to offer, how close they are, and things you need to bring with you. I chose one of the few guest room type ones available and emailed her and it was available for my date. It even has their exam dates so you know when is prob not a good time to ask lol

Boston has a spreadsheet too but most of the students don't put a lot of info on there and those that did mostly had couches so I think I'm going with hotel for that one.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
Yeah so I am wondering if $69 is worth the risk and they did say they offer free shuttle to and from the airport if I call and schedule

If you are comfortable financially, I would definitely say get a hotel room. I agree with @SydSing that nothing is a substitute for being in your own space and being relaxed the night before something as stressful as an interview day. Although I appreciate the kindness of the students by willing to host me and the money they are saving me, I always never felt fully rested because it's just different when staying with someone vs. by yourself.
 
Yeah so I am wondering if $69 is worth the risk and they did say they offer free shuttle to and from the airport if I call and schedule

Honestly, I would go with that. Possibly not hearing until two weeks before and scrambling to find someone who is available sounds unnecessary for such a cheap rate with a free shuttle. I'd just book your hotel for the peace of mind.

My Pitt interview isn't until December I would have too much anxiety waiting until then to know where I'm staying and to plan out everything.

Perhaps after you do the hotel thing too you can better gauge if there is some routine for your interview day that you would be more comfortable with on your own.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Hi all!!! Congrats to everybody and for those still waiting, keep the faith!!! New to SDN, found so many of these posts uplifting, so I had to post myself. LizzyM low 60s, master's and great ECs. I've gotten 3 interviews so far. It's not all about stats!!! Truthfully, I was worried about applying because of my stats, but the Lord has blessed me. We ALL got this. Be strong 🙂
 
Hi all!!! Congrats to everybody and for those still waiting, keep the faith!!! New to SDN, found so many of these posts uplifting, so I had to post myself. LizzyM low 60s, master's and great ECs. I've gotten 3 interviews so far. It's not all about stats!!! Truthfully, I was worried about applying because of my stats, but the Lord has blessed me. We ALL got this. Be strong 🙂

Congrats to you on your three interview invitations!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys use student host or rent a hotel when going to interviews ?The school is in a rural area so hotel prices are a little cheap (relative to what im used to in New York).I'm Thinking student host would be the most cost effective(maybe just $20 for a gift card to say thank you) and you get to see the living environment and you also get to know a student better before the interview. I am just wondering if being in someone else's space might throw a person off , I love to listen Justin Timberlake suit and ties song while dancing and putting on my suit on .Dont think I can do this with someone else there. But at the end of the day its all about cost effectiveness. Right?
Ive been doing both but if you can get the host that's best. Its cheap and you can pick their brains about the school.
 
Got a 3rd II yesterday to say the least lol. I was such a lil bitch 2 months ago and im feeling unstoppable now
Interview 3 a doctor you will be! That third one is a important interview! Right now I'm in the mind frame that I need to charm my ass off in the one interview I have because it might be my only chance . Hoping for more so I can be more relaxed .
 
Do you guys use student host or rent a hotel when going to interviews ?The school is in a rural area so hotel prices are a little cheap (relative to what im used to in New York).I'm Thinking student host would be the most cost effective(maybe just $20 for a gift card to say thank you) and you get to see the living environment and you also get to know a student better before the interview. I am just wondering if being in someone else's space might throw a person off , I love to listen Justin Timberlake suit and ties song while dancing and putting on my suit on .Dont think I can do this with someone else there. But at the end of the day its all about cost effectiveness. Right?

Cost effectiveness is sexy, but if you are going to be completely off your game because youre sleeping on a strangers floor (or whatever) and a consequence of such is messing up your interview, it is NOT worth it imo.
 
Hey everyone,

I've been off for awhile adjusting to classes and finishing up secondaries. Just as an update I submitted my first secondary 9/13 but was not complete until 9/20 (had to wait on my committee letter). I received my first interview invite 9/28 and so far I have 3 II!! 😍. I literally just finished one of my secondaries this morning so we will see what this cycle has in store for me. I'm glad to know that I'll be in medical school with y'all, everyone is so supportive and amazing.
 
Im at this strange place where the excitement and bless of the first II starting to wear off . Now I am worrying about not getting another II while feeling guilty that I should count my lucky stars that I have one in the first place, *shrug*
 
Im at this strange place where the excitement and bless of the first II starting to wear off . Now I am worrying about not getting another II while feeling guilty that I should count my lucky stars that I have one in the first place, *shrug*

I have a similar but quite pathetic problem. After all these interviews, I am worried that they'll all turn into rejection, or even worse, months of silence. I guess whether you have 1 II or 10, you don't feel secure until the first acceptance comes in. I know I probably sound really irrational and unnecessarily paranoid right now, but I'm sure that someone here can relate. I prefer to think that I'm not be the only one here who sounds like I've lost my mind.😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a similar but quite pathetic problem. After all these interviews, I am worried that they'll all turn into rejection, or even worse, months of silence. I guess whether you have 1 II or 10, you don't feel secure until the first acceptance comes in. I know I probably sound really irrational and unnecessarily paranoid right now, but I'm sure that someone here can relate. I prefer to think that I'm not be the only one here who sounds like I've lost my mind.😛


Feeling the same way. I guess I feel like I have done well on the interviews I have attended, but I still feel like I'm going to be waitlisted or rejected. Waiting until October 17 is going to be dreadful and unfortunately I have become heavily invested in some of the schools I have interviewed at so far.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
Feeling the same way. I guess I have feel that I have done well on the interviews so have attended, but I still feel like I'm going to be waitlisted or rejected. Waiting until October 17 is going to be dreadful and unfortunately I have become heavily invested in some of the schools I have interviewed at so far.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel the same way. I feel that I was well-prepared from most of my interviews, and I really fell in love with some of the schools, but I'm afraid that my impression of how the interviews went is not the same as that of my interviewers/the committee.

Here's some e-xanax for the both of us to make it through the next week.😛
 
I feel the same way. I feel that I was well-prepared from most of my interviews, and I really fell in love with some of the schools, but I'm afraid that my impression of how the interviews went is not the same as that of my interviewers/the committee.

Here's some e-xanax for the both of us to make it through the next week.😛


Pass me some E-Xanax plz. Will need to be sedated on October 17th.

@Chelsea FC i feel you 100000%. This process really screws with your mental lol I went into it thinking I was a perfectly rational human being. .... .. ... .yeaaaano.
 
Pass me some E-Xanax plz. Will need to be sedated on October 17th.

@Chelsea FC i feel you 100000%. This process really screws with your mental lol I went into it thinking I was a perfectly rational human being. .... .. ... .yeaaaano.

Same here. I just need someone to put me in a coma right now and set the alarm clock for October 17th 5 p.m. LOL.
 
Pass me some E-Xanax plz. Will need to be sedated on October 17th.

@Chelsea FC i feel you 100000%. This process really screws with your mental lol I went into it thinking I was a perfectly rational human being. .... .. ... .yeaaaano.

Guys stay positive and confident!

Fortunately I don't attend my first interview until Oct. 17th so the date has no meaning for me lol. I never thought I'd be happy to be on the later end but my anxiety is thanking its lucky stars!!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile